What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gum recession and grafting surgery (1 Viewer)

shuke

Black Ice Skeptic
I started a thread about 6 years ago on the topic when I was first told I needed it. At the time it was too costly for me and I was still dipping and smoking so I thought it would be dumb to do it.

Nicotine free for almost 3 years now. Went to the dentist this week and while he said my recession has stabilized, he is pretty concerned about a few areas.

So I'm going to make a consultation appointment with an oral surgeon. Just curious if anyone has done this lately and what the going rate is.

Also, has anyone been given a cause for their recession? I know I grind my teeth at night and have recently realized I am probably clenching during wakign hours. How do I stop this?

I started a thread about 6 years ago on the topic when I was first told I needed it. At the time it was too costly for me and I was still dipping and smoking so I thought it would be dumb to do it. Nicotine free for almost 3 years now. Went to the dentist this week and while he said my recession has stabilized, he is pretty concerned about a few areas.So I'm going to make a consultation appointment with an oral surgeon. Just curious if anyone has done this lately and what the going rate is. Also, has anyone been given a cause for their recession? I know I grind my teeth at night and have recently realized I am probably clenching during wakign hours. How do I stop this?
The dental professionals will have the more correct answers... but I recall my dentist dad saying that recession was due to lack of proper care. :shrug:

I started a thread about 6 years ago on the topic when I was first told I needed it. At the time it was too costly for me and I was still dipping and smoking so I thought it would be dumb to do it. Nicotine free for almost 3 years now. Went to the dentist this week and while he said my recession has stabilized, he is pretty concerned about a few areas.So I'm going to make a consultation appointment with an oral surgeon. Just curious if anyone has done this lately and what the going rate is. Also, has anyone been given a cause for their recession? I know I grind my teeth at night and have recently realized I am probably clenching during wakign hours. How do I stop this?
I do the grinding at night and was fitted with essentially a mouthpiece like you might have worn in high school if you played any contact sport. It works great, it cost pretty much nothing and it's lasted for years. Your dentist would have to take an impression of your teeth and then he's make it. He did top and bottom for me but I only wear the top. During the day, I store it in a tupperware container with Listerine.

Recession can be caused by a lot of things.

Brushing too hard, chewing tobacco is a big cause.

But there are other lesser ones like sometime stress on teeth from orthodontics, or muscles in the gums that are kind of "misguided"

are you really going to an oral surgeon? usually Periodontists do this type of work

My dentist told me mine was due to improper care and of course dipping. I started taking better care by brushing the correct way and flossing more. I still dip. He told me my gums were the in the best shape he has seen them in years (this was a couple months ago), and that while dipping will keep the recession going (I blamed it on Obama), he said they have stabilized somewhat. He discussed this procedure with me but said I am still a ways away from needing it, especially if I keep maintaining the gums (and teeth of course) the way I have been. There is no way of reversing the recession on your own.

Had I been going down the road I was going, I would have needed this eventually, but for now I have prolonged it, maybe indefinitely.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few years back my last dentist told me my gums were receding and he recommended I think the same thing.. Told him we'll see.. went home and investigated.. "No f'n way" unless absolutely necessary..

4 years later I have a new dentist and the measurements they take haven't changed, and a couple have improved.. As copeman mentioned above, I also changed my flossing.. went from flossing once or twice a year to a couple times a week and a nightly mouthwash, compared to never using mouthwash.

SO glad I didn't listen to the first dentist. :thumbup:

So - what is the right way to brush your teeth then? I am curious as I chew tobacco as well and have begun to worry about this more and more.

Recession can be caused by a lot of things.

Brushing too hard, chewing tobacco is a big cause.

But there are other lesser ones like sometime stress on teeth from orthodontics, or muscles in the gums that are kind of "misguided"

are you really going to an oral surgeon? usually Periodontists do this type of work
That's what I was thinking. The gf works at one and I think I've heard her talk about gum grafts when I'm not listening to her.

So - what is the right way to brush your teeth then? I am curious as I chew tobacco as well and have begun to worry about this more and more.
I will brush, floss, then brush again, and then use mouthwash for a minute.I use a soft bristled brush (those electric brushes are best), and then brush gently in a small circular pattern, and then use downstrokes on my uppers, and upstrokes on my lowers, making contact with the gums on each stroke, so in essence the brush goes from the gums to the tooth. I also gently brush the gums. I even brush the toungue.

I used to brush not so gently, and the dentist said that is bad for you.

As I said, since I started doing all of this, my gums and teeth have improved dramatically over the past 6 months. My gums were so inflamed from improper care, and taking just a few extra minutes each night have really improved them.

Also, when I floss, I go down into the gums as deep as I can. When I first started (after the dentist told me to take better care), the gums would bleed a bit for a week or two. That was expected. After taking care of them, they (gums) stopped bleeding and became healthier. Even the color of the gums themselves is healthier looking.

my wife had this. its awful
Really? I had it done my senior year in highschool. Appointment was at 2. Played in a soccer game at 6. I don't remember it being that bad. Was awake the whole time and the needle poking through the gums was kind of weird. I think they attributed it to improper brushing and genetics. My wife has worked in dental field for 15 years says i still brush too hard.

I had this done about 5 years ago. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't nothing either. My doctor told me there were two ways to do it - either they graft your own gum tissue from the roof of your mouth onto your gum, or they graft some lab-grown gum tissue onto your gums. He said that the graft from the roof of your mouth, if you choose to go that way, is the more painful process. I chose the lab-grown gum tissue. The surgery itself wasn't bad at all - you're given anesthesia. The few days after the surgery were a bit uncomfortable and limiting as to the foods you could eat. After about a week, it was fine.

I had this done when I was a teenager. It was no big deal at all pain- and recovery-wise, but I have zero clue on the cost.

I do the grinding at night and was fitted with essentially a mouthpiece like you might have worn in high school if you played any contact sport. It works great, it cost pretty much nothing and it's lasted for years. Your dentist would have to take an impression of your teeth and then he's make it. He did top and bottom for me but I only wear the top. During the day, I store it in a tupperware container with Listerine.
I've worn a night mouthpiece for about 12 years now. It prevents wear on the teeth, but it doesn't really stop you from clenching/grinding in your sleep, which I think puts stress on your gums.

But there are other lesser ones like sometime stress on teeth from orthodontics, or muscles in the gums that are kind of "misguided"are you really going to an oral surgeon? usually Periodontists do this type of work
Sorry, going to someone my dentist recommended, I am guessing it is a periodontist.

I had this done about 5 years ago. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't nothing either. My doctor told me there were two ways to do it - either they graft your own gum tissue from the roof of your mouth onto your gum, or they graft some lab-grown gum tissue onto your gums. He said that the graft from the roof of your mouth, if you choose to go that way, is the more painful process. I chose the lab-grown gum tissue. The surgery itself wasn't bad at all - you're given anesthesia. The few days after the surgery were a bit uncomfortable and limiting as to the foods you could eat. After about a week, it was fine.
Sorry to be the one to tell you this but what you had implanted was not "grown in a lab". It was harvested from a dead human.

as for the cost, whatever it is, you'll likely be appalled
Would you expect much fluctuation within a particular region? Is it worth shopping around? What is the best way to decide if someone's credentials are good enough for this type of job?

Had this done to two different areas. One with the donated tissue the other with my own, from the roof of my mouth. Neither surgery was bad. I was awake and numb. You can't exercise or do anything strenuous for a few days to avoid raising your heart rate while the new gum tissue grafts to your existing gums.

Given a choice I go with the donated tissue every time. The pain from the tissue removed from the roof of your mouth is pretty bad and it lasts about a month. You'll get a guard to cover the sore for the first few days, but after that you're supposed to remove it to aid in healing. It's not fun.

It cost about $500 per tooth area and insurance paid for the work done on the severely recessed areas. For the rest I had set aside $$$ in my FSA to cover the cost. If you make the investment do yourself a favor and buy a Sonicare toothbrush to protect the investment.

A word of advice. Do not ignore the no exercise instructions. I did and my second procedure did not graft properly. The pain was pretty bad and part of the tissue went necrotic and had to be removed. End result is I need another procedure to fix it.

The oral surgeon told me the reason I have this problem is genetic. I got my fathers teeth and my mothers gums, so my gums are too small for my teeth. It's been several years since the procedures and I'm very happy with the results

Good luck.

'The Captain said:
Had this done to two different areas. One with the donated tissue the other with my own, from the roof of my mouth. Neither surgery was bad. I was awake and numb. You can't exercise or do anything strenuous for a few days to avoid raising your heart rate while the new gum tissue grafts to your existing gums.Given a choice I go with the donated tissue every time. The pain from the tissue removed from the roof of your mouth is pretty bad and it lasts about a month. You'll get a guard to cover the sore for the first few days, but after that you're supposed to remove it to aid in healing. It's not fun.It cost about $500 per tooth area and insurance paid for the work done on the severely recessed areas. For the rest I had set aside $$$ in my FSA to cover the cost. If you make the investment do yourself a favor and buy a Sonicare toothbrush to protect the investment.A word of advice. Do not ignore the no exercise instructions. I did and my second procedure did not graft properly. The pain was pretty bad and part of the tissue went necrotic and had to be removed. End result is I need another procedure to fix it.The oral surgeon told me the reason I have this problem is genetic. I got my fathers teeth and my mothers gums, so my gums are too small for my teeth. It's been several years since the procedures and I'm very happy with the resultsGood luck.
The second procedure that did not heal properly, was the the donor tissue or from your palate?I know doing the palate is proabably painful, but from what I have read it has a higher success rate.

I've had both a soft tissue graft and a connective tissue graft done. My recession is due to genetics. On the soft tissue graft the dentist took tissue from the surface of my palate, and stitched it on top of the gum area. He left the surface of my palate open. The roof of my mouth hurt about 4 days later when the tissue started to regenerate and close back up. The pain was better after about 3 days. I had little swelling. It healed fast.

On the connective tissue graft he took tissue deep in my palate, and then stitched the surface of the palate back up. He then took the tissue and put it underneath the gum area, and stitched it.There was very little pain, but I had more swelling with the connective tissue graft, and it took longer to heal. I've always used my own tissue.

'The Captain said:
Had this done to two different areas. One with the donated tissue the other with my own, from the roof of my mouth. Neither surgery was bad. I was awake and numb. You can't exercise or do anything strenuous for a few days to avoid raising your heart rate while the new gum tissue grafts to your existing gums.Given a choice I go with the donated tissue every time. The pain from the tissue removed from the roof of your mouth is pretty bad and it lasts about a month. You'll get a guard to cover the sore for the first few days, but after that you're supposed to remove it to aid in healing. It's not fun.It cost about $500 per tooth area and insurance paid for the work done on the severely recessed areas. For the rest I had set aside $$$ in my FSA to cover the cost. If you make the investment do yourself a favor and buy a Sonicare toothbrush to protect the investment.A word of advice. Do not ignore the no exercise instructions. I did and my second procedure did not graft properly. The pain was pretty bad and part of the tissue went necrotic and had to be removed. End result is I need another procedure to fix it.The oral surgeon told me the reason I have this problem is genetic. I got my fathers teeth and my mothers gums, so my gums are too small for my teeth. It's been several years since the procedures and I'm very happy with the resultsGood luck.
The second procedure that did not heal properly, was the the donor tissue or from your palate?I know doing the palate is proabably painful, but from what I have read it has a higher success rate.
It was from my palate, but it was my fault. Do not exercise for a a week and everything should be fine.

Consult was this morning. Need 24 teeth done. I'm going to start with 6. 3 on each upper side. Have the option to be sedated for an extra $500. Did you guys do this or get a local?

Consult was this morning. Need 24 teeth done. I'm going to start with 6. 3 on each upper side. Have the option to be sedated for an extra $500. Did you guys do this or get a local?
I feel for you, tooth issues are the worst. I hate being sedated and would take the local if it is at all tolerable.

I just got novacane. I'd take gas if they offer.

It was from my palate, but it was my fault. Do not exercise for a a week and everything should be fine.
this won't be a problem for shuke

24?! Do people even have that many teeth? Maybe a second opinion is in order? 24 at once seems like a ton.

24?! Do people even have that many teeth? Maybe a second opinion is in order? 24 at once seems like a ton.
Doesn't have to be at once. Going to do 6 this year. The only second opinion I need is looking at my teeth in the mirror. They are bad.

Users who are viewing this thread