What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Danario Alexander - Lottery ticket? (1 Viewer)

rickyg

Footballguy
Yes it's a reach...but the opportunity is there for Danario to become the Vincent Jackson type player that the team desperately needs. Robert Meacham was a failed experiment. I think that when Alexander was on the Rams last year he didnt reach his full potential first and foremost because he had trouble staying healthy, which of course is and will always be an issue with him...but I think Bradford also sucked last year and didn't throw many accurate deep balls.

Not that Rivers is doing any better this year, because he is putrid. But I am taking a flyer on alexander in all leagues this week. He could be an absolute non factor and if so ill drop him a few weeks down the road. OR he could explode for a touchdown or 2 tomorrow night in his first meaningful appearance as a charger, in a must win game, against a bad defense. Not sayin I plan to start him, just saying I plan to OWN him just in case.

I dropped Phillip Tanner for him. If you have other bench fodder similar to that level why not take a shot on this kid. No one can deny his natural talent IF he can stay healthy. Kids has serious game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it's a reach...but the opportunity is there for Danario to become the Vincent Jackson type player that the team desperately needs. Robert Meacham was a failed experiment. I think that when Alexander was on the Rams last year he didnt reach his full potential first and foremost because he had trouble staying healthy, which of course is and will always be an issue with him...but I think Bradford also sucked last year and didn't throw many accurate deep balls. Not that Rivers is doing any better this year, because he is putrid. But I am taking a flyer on alexander in all leagues this week. He could be an absolute non factor and if so ill drop him a few weeks down the road. OR he could explode for a touchdown or 2 tomorrow night in his first meaningful appearance as a charger, in a must win game, against a bad defense. Not sayin I plan to start him, just saying I plan to OWN him just in case. I dropped Phillip Tanner for him. If you have other bench fodder similar to that level why not take a shot on this kid. No one can deny his natural talent IF he can stay healthy. Kids has serious game.
Non factor is outcome here. It would be digging really deep to play him in any league. Not possible for him to put up numbers. Malcolm Floyd is way more established. As is Gates, so this is not a Cecil Shorts situation. Rivers also sucks so they are going to get conservative

Like the title says...lottery ticket. Winning the lottery is a one in a many million chance.

I would only recommend stashing Alexander in favor of useless bench fodder. Guys who you will never sniff your starting lineup.

I just have a feeling that he will see a few deep balls go his way against the chiefs this Thursday night. The chargers are looking for answers right now after their bye week. They are willing to try anything including benching underperforming starters and giving a shot to the next guy up.

Odds are against any of this happening. Injury prone, new to the team and Playbook, rivers sucks. I know I get it. But last year around this time I picked up demaryius thomas. Coming off a torn Achilles and hand injury. And tebow as his qb. He proceeded to take the league by storm in the 2nd half of the season and helped me get to a sb.

Update: Eddie royal doubtful vs KCC...Meacham questionable.

That leaves Floyd, gates, setu, and Alexander.

The underlying issues aren't being addressed here. While Rivers certainly lacks playmakers at the WR position, the O-Line is BY FAR the biggest issue facing the Chargers. Many of the interception highlights I've seen from Rivers (and I admittedly have not seen all of them) show a guy that can't step into his throws. The pocket is almost always collapsing, and Rivers is forced to short-arm the pass, or throw entirely with his arm. As anyone who has ever thrown a football knows, you lose a lot of velocity, accuracy, and touch simply throwing a ball flat-footed without stepping into the throw.

Equally problematic is the Coryell offense run by San Diego, focusing on down-field strikes. When the O-line can't give the QB 3 seconds to release the ball, that kind of vertical offense doesn't work. Down-field routes take time to develop (obviously), but Rivers is either forced to anticipate the throw far too early, or attempt to throw at the correct time with poor footwork. Both are obviously not resulting in optimal results.

I don't see Alexander or Seyi fixing those problems. They need o-line help desperately.

I'm waiting to see whose ruled out tomorrow. He the best Wr on the team and could be like what D. Thomas is o Peyton Manning. I'm debating cutting Broyles or Hillis. I've pick this guy up two years straight, I just wish him health.

Cutting Broyles for him seems crazy. Hillis is pretty much useless this season, so I suppose that wouldn't be horrendous if you took that chance.

I have Alexander as a lottery ticket in a few dynasty leagues, but I'm not expecting much out of him. He just replaced other lottery tickets that I gave up on.

I am surprised they just didnt grab Plax, he is easily better than these 2, maybe they wanted to look like they are trying without spending money. Also agree that a wr won't help that terrible o-line. Alexander may be the more talented of the 2 they added, but clearly he just can't stay healthy, I wouldn't be surprised if Seyi doesn't turn out to be the better 3rd/4th option over Alexander, just because he can stay on the field.

After watching Legadu Nannee and Seyi over the past two years in Carolina, I earned a lot of respect for what Rivers was able to get out of both of them. They are two of the worst receivers I've seen, especially Legadu (I don't know if the stats show it, but he is on par with Greg Little when it comes to dropped passes). Seyi never got a ton of chances in Carolina, but when he did he typically looked terrible.

The fact that Rivers was able to get anything out of those two is a testament to how good he used to be. I'm not sure if he still has it in him though.

Garcon, Hernandez hurt .. SJax, DRich, and Hunter on a bye. I think I'm gonna try the Denario Scenario again over Hawkins and Dwayne Allen in a MOX.

Garcon, Hernandez hurt .. SJax, DRich, and Hunter on a bye. I think I'm gonna try the Denario Scenario again over Hawkins and Dwayne Allen in a MOX.
good luck my friend...i don't have the balls...i will be rooting for him however as I rostered him in all leagues yesterday and today. a big performance tonight could send meacham to the bench.

good luck my friend...i don't have the balls...i will be rooting for him however as I rostered him in all leagues yesterday and today. a big performance tonight could send meacham to the bench.
With bye week problems, I'm thinking about starting him over Little and Tate. I have a few minutes to decide.

i would start him over greg little...is tate hurt? i heard forsett is playing over tate this weekend. id roll with danario over those guys.

Okay guys, I'm not starting him this week/tonight but I'm very intrigued. DA is a talent with no real knees to speak of. As long as he's healthy though, he can make things happen. I was hoping he was going to be going up against Rout this week, as he's the weaker of the KC corners but Floyd usually lines up on his side of the field. DA will probably line up on Brandon Flowers' side. Maybe KC will switch but I'm not familiar enough with their defense to know if that's a possibility.

Remember his first game with STL last year? 3/122/1? I can honestly see this happening again. Gaither is playing, so Rivers should remain upright for some deep throws.

This is a nice match up, but something to keep in mind is that KC is coming off a short week, where DMC literally tired the crap out of them with 33 touches on the ball. I've noticed defenses, especially rush defenses have been getting beaten up on Thursday nights. SD may will probably go run heavy again to start of the game (14 of first 20 offensive snaps were run plays last week), hopefully it will open up the passing game so Rivers can take a few shots. KC has given up a league most 7 plays of 40+ yards.

F it, I just picked Alexander up in a PPR and dropped Golden Tate and I'm starting Alexander due to byes. I'd rather gamble on Alexander than settle for mediocrity in Little and Golden Tate.

F it, I just picked Alexander up in a PPR and dropped Golden Tate and I'm starting Alexander due to byes. I'd rather gamble on Alexander than settle for mediocrity in Little and Golden Tate.
F little's stone hands and who the hell is golden tate? F tate...the 2nd receiving option on seattle isn't gonna do squat for you. i like your cujones...alexander could goose egg you tonight but i still like the move for the upside. Good luck!!

With him getting time tonight, I wouldn't be SHOCKED with a big game. Rivers obviously is having trouble getting the ball to the current receivers, may as well try the new guy(s).

started him as a WR4 in one very deep league over Rod Streeter
Came very close to starting him over Baldwin at flex but decided to go with Succop (kickers count as flex) ETA: worked out alright but close. It's good to see DA back on the field and producing.

The way he was stumbling on that last reception I thought he blew out both his knees. He looked like a tranquilized elephant. Anyway, I had no idea Rout was out. It looks like Daniels has taken his place. He looks equally as beatable.

The way he was stumbling on that last reception I thought he blew out both his knees. He looked like a tranquilized elephant. Anyway, I had no idea Rout was out. It looks like Daniels has taken his place. He looks equally as beatable.
LOL hey danario has already outscored greg little and golden tate this week mark it down!

41 yards in the 1st quarter ... if he can get through this game healthy and if the Chiefs stay competitive enough to let the Chargers throw in the 2nd half he'll have a breakout game.

'Ariakis said:
41 yards in the 1st quarter ... if he can get through this game healthy and if the Chiefs stay competitive enough to let the Chargers throw in the 2nd half he'll have a breakout game.
The 41 yards should be enough to park Meachem's ### on the bench for the rest of the season (where it belongs).

'Ariakis said:
The 41 yards should be enough to park Meachem's ### on the bench for the rest of the season (where it belongs).
If DA stays healthy, he's a viable WR3 from here on out.

'Ariakis said:
Why do people post this garbage? Anytime some guy has a few catches he's labeled a "WR3" ... I swear there are 40 "WR3"'s out there. At 9 points in PPR, even if he maintains that, it's around 61st on a per game basis, which would be a WR6.This guy was a free agent two weeks ago. Each team has around 5-6 WRs, right? That's around 180 WRs currently on NFL teams. After 3 catches when he was facing the 5th CB on every play you're insinuating he's suddenly in the top 30 WR group. Get a grip. There's nothing to see here.

'Ariakis said:
Why do people post this garbage? Anytime some guy has a few catches he's labeled a "WR3" ... I swear there are 40 "WR3"'s out there. At 9 points in PPR, even if he maintains that, it's around 61st on a per game basis, which would be a WR6.This guy was a free agent two weeks ago. Each team has around 5-6 WRs, right? That's around 180 WRs currently on NFL teams. After 3 catches when he was facing the 5th CB on every play you're insinuating he's suddenly in the top 30 WR group. Get a grip. There's nothing to see here.
I agree that Alexander probably is not a consistent wr3 moving forward. At least not after catching 3 balls for 61 yards in one game as a fill in for an injured starter. But you aren't looking at the entire story here.

Robert Meacham is a bust. A total absolute bust. Norv turner is fighting for his job and rivers is tired of watching his wrs suck and making him look worse than he is. Eddie royal has also been a bust. They went into their bye week looking for answers. They signed Alexander.

Alexander, had it not been for injuries? Was a talent comparable to demaryius thomas. 6'5" 217 pd target with good downfield speed and good ball tracking ability that lit up college football. Had his knees not blown out he was a feat round talent.

So, IF he stay healthy (which I know is not likely), there is a real possibility that even if he does not supplant Meacham as the starter, he will garner 5 or so targets per game including a few deep ball Shots, giving you josh Gordon/Chris givens type value as a matchup wr3 or wr4.

If he supplants Meacham then he has wr2 upside IMO and could carve out a permanent role in that offense. The opportunity is there for the taking.

He just has to stay healthy.

'Ariakis said:
I agree that Alexander probably is not a consistent wr3 moving forward. At least not after catching 3 balls for 61 yards in one game as a fill in for an injured starter. But you aren't looking at the entire story here.

Robert Meacham is a bust. A total absolute bust. Norv turner is fighting for his job and rivers is tired of watching his wrs suck and making him look worse than he is. Eddie royal has also been a bust. They went into their bye week looking for answers. They signed Alexander.

Alexander, had it not been for injuries? Was a talent comparable to demaryius thomas. 6'5" 217 pd target with good downfield speed and good ball tracking ability that lit up college football. Had his knees not blown out he was a feat round talent.

So, IF he stay healthy (which I know is not likely), there is a real possibility that even if he does not supplant Meacham as the starter, he will garner 5 or so targets per game including a few deep ball Shots, giving you josh Gordon/Chris givens type value as a matchup wr3 or wr4.

If he supplants Meacham then he has wr2 upside IMO and could carve out a permanent role in that offense. The opportunity is there for the taking.

What are you smoking, man? WR2 with upside??? :lmao: These boards get so carried away sometimes.Nobody is supplanting Meachem. His role is to run clear out routes every play and open up the field. That's what he did for the Saints and that's what he's doing for San Diego.

Expecting anything beyond 4-5 targets a game on deep shots is setting yourself up for disappointment. Labeling him a bust because he hasn't met your incorrect expectations is not fair.

Meachem actually has had literally the exact same targets on a per game basis this year than he had over his 3 years in New Orleans (29 through 7 games, most he's ever had in New Orleans was 66 over 16 games, both about 4.1 targets/game ratio). The chemistry just hasn't been there with Rivers yet and it has taken some time to adjust.

And he's had a couple of drops, which is greatly magnified when you have limited opportunities to touch the ball. Jimmy Graham, for instance, has triple Meachem's drop rate with only twice as many targets, but it's less noticeable because he's also scoring touchdowns fairly regularly.

Why do people post this garbage? Anytime some guy has a few catches he's labeled a "WR3" ... I swear there are 40 "WR3"'s out there. At 9 points in PPR, even if he maintains that, it's around 61st on a per game basis, which would be a WR6.

This guy was a free agent two weeks ago. Each team has around 5-6 WRs, right? That's around 180 WRs currently on NFL teams. After 3 catches when he was facing the 5th CB on every play you're insinuating he's suddenly in the top 30 WR group. Get a grip. There's nothing to see here.
In 2009 his Senior season he racked up 113/1781/14TDs in what was then the Big 12.

He damaged his knee/knees pretty bad but because St Louis was so short on WRs and talent he kept pushing himself to get on the field, most of the coaches could see his talent but wished he would heal. He also had a HC who was on the hot seat and eventually fired, there was a lot of pressure to get things turned around.

Here are some of the highlights when he was on the field...4/72/TD in his 1st NFL game, 4/95, 6/99, 3/122/TD, 6/91, 3/52/TD...he only played a handful of games due to injury in 2010 and 2011.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss him. He is a long ball type, had 3/60 last night after walking the streets for a while, he typically avg 15-17ypc so it looks like he is picking up where he left off. I definitely would not say there is nothing to see here. On most of the weeks that I highlighted he had to be in the top 25-30 so he can easily be a WR3 however it remains to be seen if he can play without injury, that's the real question.

'Ariakis said:
This is one incredibly bad post. You would be the guy that has Kenny Watson on his team when Arian Foster was just showing what he could do. While others scoop him up, you are the guy saying 'he's no Kenny Watson'. 'He's a free agent'. 'He wasn't even good enough to get drafted'. Then you proceed to get pummeled by him year after year.This is the type of guy you add to your team and see what happens.

Oh, and meachem? He flat out sucks balls. Always has always will. He's a poor man's Jerry Porter.

'Ariakis said:

What are you smoking, man? WR2 with upside??? :lmao: These boards get so carried away sometimes.Nobody is supplanting Meachem. His role is to run clear out routes every play and open up the field. That's what he did for the Saints and that's what he's doing for San Diego.

Expecting anything beyond 4-5 targets a game on deep shots is setting yourself up for disappointment. Labeling him a bust because he hasn't met your incorrect expectations is not fair.

Meachem actually has had literally the exact same targets on a per game basis this year than he had over his 3 years in New Orleans (29 through 7 games, most he's ever had in New Orleans was 66 over 16 games, both about 4.1 targets/game ratio). The chemistry just hasn't been there with Rivers yet and it has taken some time to adjust.

And he's had a couple of drops, which is greatly magnified when you have limited opportunities to touch the ball. Jimmy Graham, for instance, has triple Meachem's drop rate with only twice as many targets, but it's less noticeable because he's also scoring touchdowns fairly regularly.
First of all, what am I smoking? As of this moment nothing...later on this evening I plea the 5th. Meacham wasn't drafted to do what he did in NO. He wa drafted to replace vjax, a guy who regularly had 10 plus targets per game and who dominated in more than just acting as a decoy. They were hoping that Meacham could replace vjax production. A terrible error in judgement and player evaluation by aj smith.

In one game, danario accomplished something that Meacham still has not been able to achieve in 8 games: chemistry with rivers.

Danario didn't drop a pass and ran correct routes. He is by far more of a vjax prototype than Meacham.

While I don't have a crystal ball and can't say that Meacham will be benched for him I don't think it would be crazy to see turner do that at all. Who the hell is Meacham and what has he done in the nfl thus far? Squat. He is a scrub.

And yes danario, if he stays healthy, and supplants Meacham as a starter, can post the occasional 5/100/1 with a bunch of 3-5/60-80 in between. That's about what dez Bryant does. Bryant is a WR2 in fantasy football this year. At least on my team :(

'Ariakis said:
This is one incredibly bad post. You would be the guy that has Kenny Watson on his team when Arian Foster was just showing what he could do. While others scoop him up, you are the guy saying 'he's no Kenny Watson'. 'He's a free agent'. 'He wasn't even good enough to get drafted'. Then you proceed to get pummeled by him year after year.This is the type of guy you add to your team and see what happens.

Oh, and meachem? He flat out sucks balls. Always has always will. He's a poor man's Jerry Porter.
Did you really just compare Arian Foster to Danario Alexander? o.0Foster fielded offers from half a dozen teams when he went undrafted and was signed immediately after the draft. Danario has been a FA all year when there are 180 signed WRs in the NFL.

Is Danario worth stashing in super deep leagues to see what happens? Sure, why not? I own him in a dynasty league where I took him at the beginning of the year, and I've sat on him (28-man rosters). But these WR2/3 projections after a 3/60 game are beyond ridiculous.

See my above post about Meachem. People had too high of expectations for what to expect, then call him a bust after he doesn't hit them. Not fair at all. His role/targets have been unchanged since moving from the Saints. He's just had a few costly drops, but his drop rate is substantially lower than 30 other marquee skill position players. Many of the balls thrown to him so far this season weren't catchable and that's not his fault.

he was supposed to be a player. it never turned out in St Louis, but they only had him on the roster 2 years. It can sometimes take a little longer for a WR to adjust to play at the NFL level, so I am glad to see another NFL team is giving him a shot.

he may be worth it to grab if you have larger roster sizes in your league. Personally, I'm gonna keep an eye on his progress and if he starts getting more targets and/or catches I'll keep him in mind for future weeks.

(translation: he's on my radar, but I'm not ready to pick him up yet)

'Ariakis said:
You're right, we should never pick up free agents. Especially players who have displayed glimpses of their talent before. Nobody is saying DA is a lock to be a stud but ignore talent at your own risk.

He was a free agent because of injuries. The kid has talent he just has a big problem staying healthy.

For what it's worth, the league I own him in is a 16 team where we can start 5 WRs.

Awesome to know he was facing the 5th corner.

'Ariakis said:
You're right, we should never pick up free agents. Especially players who have displayed glimpses of their talent before. Nobody is saying DA is a lock to be a stud but ignore talent at your own risk.

He was a free agent because of injuries. The kid has talent he just has a big problem staying healthy.

For what it's worth, the league I own him in is a 16 team where we can start 5 WRs.

Awesome to know he was facing the 5th corner.
I think you also have to look at the situation.San Diego has some underperforming WR's so there is no doubt that the opportunity exists for this guy to carve out a role as a starter. It's encouraging that they were able to get him some good matchups and that he's able to make some plays. The real test is gonna be in the next couple weeks once Defenses start to gameplan with him in mind in the offense. He may get a free ride for another week or two, but eventually he will not be matched up with the #4 or #5 corner, he will be matched up against the #3 or #2 corner and this could significantly affect his production.

At this point we really dont know how good he is gonna be in San Diego.

is he a player of interest? For sure.

would I pick him up for my team? not yet.

he's on my radar, and that's as far as I will commit to for him at this time.

There's nothing to see here.
Coach Norv Turner promised Friday that Danario Alexander will maintain a "big" role in the Chargers' offense moving forward.Alexander played 34-of-48 snaps on Thursday night and came away with three catches for 61 yards, securing all three of his targets. "Danario's going to play," Turner said. "He's going to be a big part of what we do. He earned that right last night. It gives us another guy, and we can roll them and keep them fresh and use all the guys we have."

Coach Norv Turner promised Friday that Danario Alexander will maintain a "big" role in the Chargers' offense moving forward.Alexander played 34-of-48 snaps on Thursday night and came away with three catches for 61 yards, securing all three of his targets. "Danario's going to play," Turner said. "He's going to be a big part of what we do. He earned that right last night. It gives us another guy, and we can roll them and keep them fresh and use all the guys we have."
And this is why you need to do pre emptive pickups on these types of situations. If you are in a league with deep benches the waiver wire is pretty thin. Danario is a big talented wr that has demaryius thomas/Brandon Marshall like potential if he stays healthy. He did well on national tv last night and now rivers and turner heaping praise on him. Now you will have competition for him on waivers.

Danario is a big talented wr that has demaryius thomas/Brandon Marshall like potential if he stays healthy.
That last part is the problem.I've been a fan of DA's natural talent as much as anyone. But the poor guy's knees are held together with Elmer's Glue. It's a matter of when he will be injured again -- not if.

Coach Norv Turner promised Friday that Danario Alexander will maintain a "big" role in the Chargers' offense moving forward.

Alexander played 34-of-48 snaps on Thursday night and came away with three catches for 61 yards, securing all three of his targets. "Danario's going to play," Turner said. "He's going to be a big part of what we do. He earned that right last night. It gives us another guy, and we can roll them and keep them fresh and use all the guys we have."
Norv promised? He's becoming the new Rat Face.
Coach Norv Turner indicated that Ryan Mathews' weekly workloads will increase back to the full-time variety following Sunday's loss to New Orleans, saying "I expect him to be one of the league's leading rushers."

"Ryan was outstanding," Turner said following Mathews' 139-total yard, one-score effort, in which he was ultimately underutilized. "Everything I’ve said about him in the offseason, every time he’s had adversity, he’s come back stronger. People want to count him out or say, ‘Hey, you can’t count on this guy,’ but he’s come back stronger." In order to finish among the NFL's lead rushers, Mathews has some ground to make up and Turner knows it. It's still very much attainable against one of the league's most cakewalk schedules to close out the year. The buy-low window on Mathews has officially closed.

Danario is a big talented wr that has demaryius thomas/Brandon Marshall like potential if he stays healthy.
That last part is the problem.I've been a fan of DA's natural talent as much as anyone. But the poor guy's knees are held together with Elmer's Glue. It's a matter of when he will be injured again -- not if.
Yeah, the guy's 6'5, athletic and coordinated. The Rams clearly have strong eye towards the future, and they must've been pretty dang convinced that his shelf life is rather short.

SD - Danario Alexander says there is more to come - Fri Nov 2, 08:06 PM

San Diego Chargers WR Danario Alexander said he is still learning the team's playbook and working at getting on the same page as QB Philip Rivers. Rivers and Alexander worked together closely the past two weeks to build chemistry. Alexander caught three passes for a team-high 61 yards against the Kansas City Chiefs in Week 9, which he said is just the beginning. Rivers was impressed with Alexander's performance. 'Danario was big and he was great. He had a third down slant way down in there inside the ten, then a couple more end routes, an out route that got us going. He was good, he was comfortable. It's just amazing,' Rivers said of his new weapon.

What's up with Vincent Brown? He should be back soon and was probably going to be the WR1 for this team before he broke his ankle. Wonder how long it will take him to get going?

Users who are viewing this thread