What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Julian Edelman going forward (4 Viewers)

Nice job working around and coming back to the same stuff.

He wasn't the best WR on the Dolphins. They weren't sorry to let him go until he did well with the Pats the next year.

If slot WRs don't start then how do you explain that he has 94 starts?

Yes he was tendered as a 2nd round pick but this was the lowest they could tender him. The Dolphins wanted to move Welker.

BB loved his attitude and many made jokes about Welker kicking or some trickery at some point. He had one FG and one XP to his credit then.

He was in no way a polished WR or the precise route runner he would become.

They wanted to move him

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/10/17/patriots_pounced_fast_to_grab_welker/?page=full
They didn't 'want to move him', they didn't want to pay him what other teams were. They put a 2nd round tender on him because they knew he'd be snatched up with them receiving no compensation. The Pats liked him so much they threw in a 7th to get a trade instead of trying to outbid the Vikings.

At the time they were very happy to get a 2nd and 7th for a guy they didn't want to give a big long-term contract, but there's a reason why the Dolphins have only won the division once since 2000 (and they needed Brady to tear his knee to do that).

Patriots re-signed WR Julian Edelman.

Sanity wins out for both sides, though only after Edelman didn't hear the price he wanted on the open market. A slot dynamo coming off a career year where he caught 105 passes for 1,056 yards and six touchdowns, Edelman means more to the Patriots than he possibly could to any other team. However, his market likely would have been hotter if not for his injury history. Edelman was a secret weapon in 2013, but had just 69 previous career catches. With Danny Amendola returning and Aaron Dobson another year older, Edelman could be hard pressed to match last season's numbers. He'll be a WR3 in standard leagues, and WR2 in PPR.

Rotoworld:

The Boston Globe's Eric Frenz said Julian Edelman "is the clearcut top receiver on the field" at Patriots' OTAs.

Aaron Dobson and Rob Gronkowski are not participating in these practices, but even so Edelman is showing no signs of slowing down after signing a four-year deal this March. That does not mean he will repeat his 2013 fantasy performance this season, though. Edelman will remain one of Brady's favorite targets, but a healthy Danny Amendola, Gronkowski and Dobson almost assure Edelman will not see the 151 targets he saw last year. Edelman is still a solid WR3 option with WR2 upside in PPR formats.

Source: Boston Globe

Jun 14 - 10:05 AM

Rotoworld:

The Boston Globe's Eric Frenz said Julian Edelman "is the clearcut top receiver on the field" at Patriots' OTAs.

Aaron Dobson and Rob Gronkowski are not participating in these practices, but even so Edelman is showing no signs of slowing down after signing a four-year deal this March. That does not mean he will repeat his 2013 fantasy performance this season, though. Edelman will remain one of Brady's favorite targets, but a healthy Danny Amendola, Gronkowski and Dobson almost assure Edelman will not see the 151 targets he saw last year. Edelman is still a solid WR3 option with WR2 upside in PPR formats.

Well, If Eric Frenz says so. :rolleyes:

These are the blurbs that bothers me about Rotoworld. I'm not convinced he can stay healthy any more than Amendola. The winner in health of those two will have the better season.

Rotoworld:

These are the blurbs that bothers me about Rotoworld. I'm not convinced he can stay healthy any more than Amendola. The winner in health of those two will have the better season.
Obviously no player will be productive if he is not playing, but Edelman REALLY milked production from the injuries to literally all the other options last year. As I mentioned before, IMO, Edelman is a candidate to be way over drafted and over projected for this season. Edelman may not out produce Amendola if they are both healthy. Add in Vereen, Gronk, and anything from LaFell or Dobson and suddenly Edelman could become a fantasy after thought.

Rotoworld:

Obviously no player will be productive if he is not playing, but Edelman REALLY milked production from the injuries to literally all the other options last year. As I mentioned before, IMO, Edelman is a candidate to be way over drafted and over projected for this season. Edelman may not out produce Amendola if they are both healthy. Add in Vereen, Gronk, and anything from LaFell or Dobson and suddenly Edelman could become a fantasy after thought.
He actually had more targets than Calvin last year, that's just not something that is going to happen if Brady has more options. Edelman had 151 targets last year and the next most targeted was Amendola with 83 (in 12 games). Edelman was WR33 (4.7 targets/game) through week 11 when Amendola was healthy, but was WR2 (8.8 targets/game) after Edelman got hurt.

I wouldn't draft him expecting him to be more than a low WR3 week 1, but he's a good gamble if the Pats get hit with injuries, especially Amendola, again. However, if Gronk and Vereen stay healthy and any of Lafell/Dobson/Boyce develop into a better #2 than last year his targets are unlikely to reach 8.8 per game even if Amendola is hurt.

I wouldn't draft him in redraft if I couldn't safely grab Amendola too. If I had to draft one I would definitely take Amendola, ignoring completely that his ADP is like 6 rounds later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another 90+ catch season.

Amendola isn't going to stay healthy & will be on a snap count probably for the rest of his career. I don't see him as a threat & he'll be third in WR snaps again (behind Dobson & Edelman) when all healthy. I think 2014 will be his last with the Pats. Frankly I'm surprised he's still playing football after the concussion vs. the Saints.

Gronk will be Gronk if/when he's healthy & unquestioned top target.

I have next to no concern when it comes to Amendola/Dobson and projecting Edelman. Could Dobson improve? Sure. But do I expect him to get a ton of targets in his role? No. Not to mention he's missing valuable offseason time with his foot.

I don't expect the McDaniels so much to force feed Edelman again, so another 150 undeserving targets would surprise me. A lot of things went wrong for the Patriots last season, they didn't have many other options. I know Welker always got his 145+ targets, but he earned it more by making more of his opportunities. Edelman doesn't have the same effectiveness. I peg him for 120-130 targets - which could still make for a decent season in PPR leagues.

I peg him for 120-130 targets - which could still make for a decent season in PPR leagues.
Yep. Even with those # targets (which is probably fair projection) & his 70% catch pct, looking at 85-90 catches.
You must own Edelman. Amendola on a snap count? You are aware Edelman cant stay healthy either.
Settle down. Nobody anointed Edelman a world beater.

And by the way, Edelman did pretty well last year when Amendola played, putting up better numbers than his counterpart.

I peg him for 120-130 targets - which could still make for a decent season in PPR leagues.
Yep. Even with those # targets (which is probably fair projection) & his 70% catch pct, looking at 85-90 catches.
You must own Edelman. Amendola on a snap count? You are aware Edelman cant stay healthy either.

And by the way, Edelman did pretty well last year when Amendola played, putting up better numbers than his counterpart.
Yep.

When all are healthy, Amendola will again be playing the 3rd wheel to Dobson & Edelman.

You mean the time where Amendola was nursing a torn groin literally the entire season? Last year was the only year Edelman has ever impressed anyone as a WR, and he did it as the only receiver who was healthy in an elite offense, literally every other receiver was injured and surprisingly, for the first time ever Edelman was somehow healthy for the bulk of it.

Edelman impressed me last year, but the dude is one year removed from being a special teams player who disappointed every opportunity he had been given in the past to play a WR role, and all it took was for there to be literally no competition.

You mean the time where Amendola was nursing a torn groin literally the entire season? Last year was the only year Edelman has ever impressed anyone as a WR, and he did it as the only receiver who was healthy in an elite offense, literally every other receiver was injured and surprisingly, for the first time ever Edelman was somehow healthy for the bulk of it.
Edelman impressed me last year, but the dude is one year removed from being a special teams player who disappointed every opportunity he had been given in the past to play a WR role, and all it took was for there to be literally no competition.
You aren't really arguing with me. See post #311.

Edelman finally had a career year in his 5th season. But nobody really expected anything of him with Welker on the team. Evident last year, the offensive role carved by his predecessor will not go away; given rapport with Brady, Edelman fills it better than anybody else on the roster, better than even Amendola.

You certainly don't think Edelman goes back to special teams guy, after showing himself capable last year, do you?

You aren't really arguing with me. See post #311.

Edelman finally had a career year in his 5th season. But nobody really expected anything of him with Welker on the team. Evident last year, the offensive role carved by his predecessor will not go away; given rapport with Brady, Edelman fills it better than anybody else on the roster, better than even Amendola.

You certainly don't think Edelman goes back to special teams guy, after showing himself capable last year, do you?
No, I think he continues to be a worse receiver than Amendola that has a good shot at being thrown the ball more with an equal if not more likely chance of being injured. Whoevers healthy will produce, if both are healthy both will produce, either way Edelman is not gonna even approach last years number unless its a similar situation -- as in, Amendola, Dobson, Thompkins, Boyce, Lafell, Gronk, Vereen are all injured.

And on your prior point, he was given many opportunities when Welker was there especially Welker's last couple of years as they were trying to pressure the contract situation, in every one of those instances Edelman disappointed. This has nothing to do with him not having actual opportunities, and everything to do with him being thrown the ball almost 200 times on a team full of no other options.

I fully expect Edelman to duplicate last year's number and I bet he does it again in 2015...right now there are only two receivers Brady fully trusts and that is Gronk and Edelman (and probably Vereen if we include RBs)...when it comes to the Pats passing game that is by far the most important thing...if Brady trusts you you are going to get fed the ball...it's a very simple formula...I am not saying that Edelman is an All Pro but I do think he is in the perfect spot for him to maximize his talents (and stats)...the kid is very athletic and makes things happen...the only thing that will keep Edelman from being productive is health...he finally stayed healthy last year but he has had his issues staying on the field so it's real important he show he can string along back-to-back injury-free seasons...

I fully expect Edelman to duplicate last year's number and I bet he does it again in 2015...right now there are only two receivers Brady fully trusts and that is Gronk and Edelman (and probably Vereen if we include RBs)...when it comes to the Pats passing game that is by far the most important thing...if Brady trusts you you are going to get fed the ball...it's a very simple formula...I am not saying that Edelman is an All Pro but I do think he is in the perfect spot for him to maximize his talents (and stats)...the kid is very athletic and makes things happen...the only thing that will keep Edelman from being productive is health...he finally stayed healthy last year but he has had his issues staying on the field so it's real important he show he can string along back-to-back injury-free seasons...
That's a great science fiction opinion. Edelman is a stud, must be why so many teams were banging at his door in free agency.

How much of that was being the only receiver from the previous season who was healthy and not Mathew Slater? The bumbling rookies are no longer rookies, Edelmans competition is healthy now.

Don't like Edelman this year, or probably any other year unless he's a clear WR1 somewhere. I have him ranked at WR38 currently. Only a small chance of being a WR2 producer by the end of the year.

I start with the fact that he did not come out as a super talent and expectations were low. You always have to temper upside or wonder whether a good year was a fluke when a guy comes out of nowhere because he was thrust into a situation.

I believe Gronk will play close to 16 games this year. Edelman disappeared last year when Gronk was playing, only exception being that crazy Denver game. I also see the Brady throwing to Vereen more, Amendola and Dobson will get some, and they'll pound the ball with Ridley.

There just won't be a whole lot of focus on Edelman and he's not a guy with so much talent that he can rise above it.

Through two games, Edelman has 12 receptions for 176 yards and a touchdown. Meanwhile, Brady is 44-of-78 for 398 yards and two touchdown passes. That means about 27 percent of Brady’s completed passes and more than 44 percent of all of Brady’s passing yards are to Edelman.

... Only tight end Rob Gronkowski has more targets (17) than Edelman (15). But from an efficiency standpoint, Edelman is the most productive of the receivers with 10-plus targets as he has caught 80 percent of passes thrown his way.
Quietly Edelman is starting out pretty nicely. Danny A is back, Vereen is there, but it's all Gronk and Edelman so far by the looks of it?

Through two games, Edelman has 12 receptions for 176 yards and a touchdown. Meanwhile, Brady is 44-of-78 for 398 yards and two touchdown passes. That means about 27 percent of Brady’s completed passes and more than 44 percent of all of Brady’s passing yards are to Edelman.

... Only tight end Rob Gronkowski has more targets (17) than Edelman (15). But from an efficiency standpoint, Edelman is the most productive of the receivers with 10-plus targets as he has caught 80 percent of passes thrown his way.
Quietly Edelman is starting out pretty nicely. Danny A is back, Vereen is there, but it's all Gronk and Edelman so far by the looks of it?
I don't think it's quietly...Edelman is the clear-cut #1 WR for the Pats...Brady trusts him far more than the other wide-outs and I think his athleticism is vastly underrated by many people...he has done a great job of turning himself from a mid-major college QB to a very polished NFL WR...I look for him to put together a nice string of years with quality #'s...

I think the conversation needs to be had. Is he falling out of favor right now due to Gronk and LaFell providing the downfield success? He's dropping balls and might be falling out of favor. Is it time to panic? He's been a PPR gold nugget but I find myself needing to bench him even with a high scoring game vs. Denver anticipated.

I don't know about everyone else, but the Denver vs NE game is all hands on deck imo, start all Broncos and Pats.

That being said, Edelman came out recently and said he just isn't as big of a part of the gameplan with everyone stepping up. He said he expects it to be a different guy every week.

I partially believe him, I think his ceiling has dropped a bit though.

I don't know about everyone else, but the Denver vs NE game is all hands on deck imo, start all Broncos and Pats.

That being said, Edelman came out recently and said he just isn't as big of a part of the gameplan with everyone stepping up. He said he expects it to be a different guy every week.

I partially believe him, I think his ceiling has dropped a bit though.
Believe me, I want all hands on deck for this game. If I'm Denver, I'm going balls out to stop Gronk after last week's performance which should open up things a bit for Edelman. However, is Brady's latest stretch of success going to blind fold him into continuing to go downfield regardless? Right now, I'm going Keenan and Martavis Bryant over him which makes me want to throw up in my mouth a little bit knowing this game sets up well for Edelman.

Have to start this week due to byes, Id rather not be starting him after watching his terrible play. No upside in a dink and dunk small slot wr that cant hold onto the ball. Will be benching him for Randle starting next week.

I think Brady is definitely going to challenge the Denver secondary, they simply won't be able to run when they want to.

Non ppr. I don't know about your league but Evans is out scoring him on ppg basis. He's missed a game and had a bye.

Sitting for Denard Robinson. He may have a good game, but I need some consistent points. Losing too many games due to sub-2 point scores from people who should be scoring 8-10.

Pats have averaged 40 points and 425 yards of offense the last 4 games. Edelman only with a 19-184-0 line in that time. One would have hoped he would have been part of the gravy train.

If he can't put up more than 10 points today, I'm dropping him. He'll be on my waiver wire short list, in case of an injury to Gronk or Vereen, but he isn't going to inflict damage on my opponents scoring less than 4 points per game.

THIS IS NOT HOW IT WAS SUPPOSED TO GO.

I don't want to continue this carousel of starting Edelman and Benjamin on their respective off days. This inverse correlation in their scores is ridiculous. Let's see if someone wants him.

But Rotoworld says he has a high floor with scores of 2.30, 3.50, 5.20, and 1.40.

Who wouldn't have started him?

It looked to me like Edelman's down games are what helped him here. He was clearly the beneficiary of double coverage on Gronk for the receiving TD, and the rest of the game Denver was covering him behind Gronk and LaFell (rightly so), which meant favorable matchups all night. The Pats receiving corps looked awesome tonight (aside from a couple of LaFell drops in the first half), and it was good to see Edelman get his. Even so, I'm saying sell high here - next week I predict the Amendola ship to come in as he was the man left out tonight.

It looked to me like Edelman's down games are what helped him here. He was clearly the beneficiary of double coverage on Gronk for the receiving TD, and the rest of the game Denver was covering him behind Gronk and LaFell (rightly so), which meant favorable matchups all night. The Pats receiving corps looked awesome tonight (aside from a couple of LaFell drops in the first half), and it was good to see Edelman get his. Even so, I'm saying sell high here - next week I predict the Amendola ship to come in as he was the man left out tonight.
I'd agree, but this is a bye week for Edelman, Gronk, and co.

I'd agree, but this is a bye week for Edelman, Gronk, and co.
I guess there is that. What other players had great games today who will stink next week that I can sub in for Edelman?

Rotoworld:

Julian Edelman secured 9-of-12 targets for 109 yards and a touchdown and rushed once for seven yards in the Patriots' Super Bowl XLIX win over the Seahawks.

The Pats went heavy on shotgun, three-receiver formations, attacking Seattle with short passes. Edelman is Tom Brady's go-to target in the short passing game. Edelman broke off a 23-yard gain on a third-and-nine crossing route in the second quarter. The play set up Brandon LaFell's 11-yard TD. Edelman took over the game in the fourth quarter, ripping off chain-moving gains and what proved to be the game-winning touchdown catch with 2:02 left. Brady's most trusted wideout, Edelman will again be a safe bet for 90-plus catches in 2015. Turning 29 this May, Edelman is signed through 2017.

Feb 1 - 10:57 PM

Users who are viewing this thread