What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What to Make of Sanu (1 Viewer)

NO isn't the match-up for WRs it once was. Lattimore and Crawley are playing very well right. However, Sanu will mostly see Vacarro which is technically one of the best match-ups a slot WR can have. Everyone wants to trade for Julio because of his playoff schedule but I'd much rather trade for Sanu.
:tebow:

Please send me your 2018 cheatsheets when you get a chance.

:tebow:

Please send me your 2018 cheatsheets when you get a chance.
I have a more accurate prediction method: I'll just post in this thread at the beginning of the week what I'm planning on doing with him, and you guys should just plan on doing the opposite.

FYI, planning on starting him vs. TB next week.

I have a more accurate prediction method: I'll just post in this thread at the beginning of the week what I'm planning on doing with him, and you guys should just plan on doing the opposite.

FYI, planning on starting him vs. TB next week.
Can't say I didn't warn you!  :shrug:

Really have no idea what to make of him. He's a secondary receiving option in a good-but-not-great offense. That means he's going to be up and down. He does seem to get a lot of RZ attention ahead of Julio, which is mystifying from a football perspective but I'll take it. But there will also be nights like last night where the game just doesn't break his way.

Debating between him and Cole for my flex next week. I'm the favorite, so at this point, leaning Sanu because a) he seems safer, and b) I'm likely starting Bortles, and as the favorite I want to diversify. But it's close.

I’ve gotten the start decision on Sanu wrong all year.

he had a good game against Saints a few weeks back and I think it’s a good matchup for him ( (credit for someone pointing this out last game ) so I’m leaning toward the start. 

Patriots acquired WR Mohamed Sanu from the Falcons in exchange for a 2020 second-round pick.

New England reportedly offered a second-round pick for Sanu before the draft and the Falcons turned them down. Now 1-6 and projected to be $8.7 million over the 2020 salary cap, Atlanta had no choice but to begin shedding weight. Sanu's departure is the first domino to fall and clears around $3.7 million from Atlanta's books this year (and $10.2 million in all). The versatile slot wideout is expected to be active against Cleveland in Week 8 but likely won't be fully integrated into New England's offense until their Week 10 bye. Expect more roster news to follow as this acquisition puts the Patriots $1.2 million over the cap this season. Russell Gage will take over for Sanu in Atlanta moving forward, while either Phillip Dorsett or Josh Gordon (pending the severity of his ankle injury) are now on the outside looking in with the Patriots.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Oct 22, 2019, 8:39 AM ET

Mohamed Sanu tallied two catches for 23 yards on five targets Sunday in the Patriots’ Week 8 victory over the Browns.

Sanu was only given a taste in his Pats debut, seeing the field on barely half of New England's offensive snaps (37-of-69). Used almost exclusively as a slot receiver in Atlanta, Sanu only lined up inside on 15 of his 26 routes versus Cleveland (57.6 percent). He seemed to endear himself to the Foxboro faithful, drawing "Sanuuu" chants from the 60,000-plus in attendance Sunday at a rain-soaked Gillette Stadium. With another week of practice to absorb Josh McDaniels' system, Sanu figures to be more involved next week when the Patriots travel to Baltimore.

Oct 27, 2019, 8:54 PM ET

Mohamed Sanu caught 10-of-14 targets for 81 yards and a touchdown in Week 9 against the Ravens.

This was a bounceback for Sanu after getting held to 23 yards in his debut. Sanu was on the receiving end of Tom Brady's only touchdown after a muffed punt set up the Patriots in the red-zone. He led the team in targets and looked on the same page with Brady, who completed over 60 percent of his passes to Sanu and Julian Edelman. Sanu is going to face some competition for targets when N’Keal Harry gets acclimated, but he’ll be on the WR2 radar for a matchup with the Eagles after the Patriots bye.

Nov 3, 2019, 11:51 PM ET

Mohamed Sanu pulled in two catches for four yards on four targets while adding eight yards on his lone rushing attempt Sunday in New England’s Week 11 win over the Eagles.

After seeing an exhausting 14 targets in New England's last game before the bye week, Sanu was barely heard from against the Eagles, spending his afternoon as moving scenery while Tom Brady instead force-fed Julian Edelman and James White (combined 17 targets). It's frustrating Sanu wasn't more involved, especially after Phillip Dorsett went down with a second-half concussion. He'll look to redeem himself when the Patriots return home to face Dallas in Week 12.

Nov 17, 2019, 9:22 PM ET

Saw a report Sanu could miss a few weeks.... via Rotoworld

NBC Sports Boston’s Tom E. Curran reports Patriots WR Mohamed Sanu (ankle) could miss multiple games.

Specifically, Curran said, "Last week, after he had the punt return where it appeared he might have twisted up his leg, probably led to what I’m hearing might be a high ankle sprain that could keep him on the sidelines for a couple of weeks unless it has drastic improvement." It's bad news for the veteran WR that the Patriots recently traded a future second-round pick for. Phillip Dorsett (concussion) is also at risk of missing time. Look for Julian Edelman, N'Keal Harry and Jakobi Meyers to work inside of 3-WR sets in Week 12 against the Cowboys.

Mohamed Sanu (ankle) is listed as questionable for Sunday's matchup against the Cowboys.

Sanu is reportedly expected to miss a few weeks according to the team's beat writers, but his limited practice on Friday seems to indicate he has a chance to suit up this week. Phillip Dorsett (concussion, questionable) is tentatively expected to suit up Sunday. N'Keal Harry would likely replace Sanu in three-WR sets if the veteran WR can't suit up. Only Julian Edelman is set up particularly well this week against the Cowboys' talented group of CBs thanks to his status as one of just four WRs in the league with triple-digit targets through 11 weeks.

SOURCE: Nora Princiotti on Twitter

Nov 22, 2019, 4:32 PM ET

Mohamed Sanu caught 3-of-5 targets for 14 yards in Week 13 against the Texans.

Sanu may not have been fully healthy playing through his ankle injury. He had a pair of drops, including one on fourth and inches that would have gave the Patriots a first down. Sanu has been a bust since coming over from Atlanta, going over 30 yards in just one of four games. Even with a Chiefs matchup on deck, Sanu is hard to trust for the first round of the fantasy playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mohamed Sanu (ankle) is questionable for Week 14 against the Chiefs.

Sanu played just 22 percent of snaps in his Week 13 return. He emerged setback-free and got in a week of limited practice, so there's not much concern over his status. Sanu's snaps figure to go up this week, but he should be faded for the first round of the fantasy playoffs.

Dec 6, 2019, 6:45 PM ET

Mohamed Sanu (questionable, ankle) is expected to play Week 14 against the Chiefs.

Sanu played through his ankle injury last week in Houston but was ineffective, compiling three catches for 14 yards on 19 offensive snaps. Outside of a 10-81-1 performance against Baltimore in Week 10, Sanu has done little since joining New England at the trade deadline. Even in a high-scoring environment (48.5 Vegas total), this isn't the week to start Sanu. Fantasy owner competing in the playoffs should be looking elsewhere for their receiver needs.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Dec 8, 2019, 9:16 AM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Patriots WR Mohamed Sanu (ankle) requires offseason ankle surgery.

Sanu's injury initially occurred in only his third game with the Patriots following a punt return against the Eagles. He exploded for 10/81/1 on 14 targets the week prior but totaled just 12/99 receiving over New England's final five games (perhaps because of said injury). 31 in August, Sanu reportedly tried to let his high-ankle sprain heal naturally but will have to go under the knife ahead of the new league year. His status for the team's offseason workouts remains up in the air.

Feb 28, 2020, 12:14 PM ET

Patriots WR Mohamed Sanu had successful ankle surgery.

This has been planned for a bit, but it's good that things appear to have gone smoothly thus far. Sanu's ankle injury spoiled what could have been a nice second-half run in New England. Instead, the Patriots' receivers couldn't get open, which has made Tom Brady iffy on a return to Boston. Sanu will be entering his age-31 season assuming there are no setbacks in training camp. His fantasy outlook his dependent on Brady.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 4, 2020, 10:38 AM ET

Patriots WR Mohamed Sanu (ankle) is out of his boot.

Sanu can begin his rehab and is on pace to be ready for the Patriots' training camp, assuming that happens. The Patriots sent a second-round pick to Atlanta for the veteran receiver in the middle of last season, but he offered next to nothing while playing on a bum ankle. New England didn't add any competition to the receiver room this offseason, meaning Julian Edelman, N'Keal Harry, and Sanu should open up as starters in the post-Brady era. Sanu is off the fantasy radar in most redraft fantasy leagues for now. 

SOURCE: Mike Giardi on Twitter

May 12, 2020, 10:56 PM ET

I doubt it. 
Everything is relative. Sanu isn’t worth much in anything resembling a normal sized league. But if you play in a 16-team, PPR, start 6 WR league, he starts to enter the discussion as a legit asset if he can stay on the field. I play on some really deep leagues with extended starting lineup requirements. Sanu is the type of player that can be a lifesaver if his acquisition costs are mere pennies. 

Everything is relative. Sanu isn’t worth much in anything resembling a normal sized league. But if you play in a 16-team, PPR, start 6 WR league, he starts to enter the discussion as a legit asset if he can stay on the field. I play on some really deep leagues with extended starting lineup requirements. Sanu is the type of player that can be a lifesaver if his acquisition costs are mere pennies. 
I think WRs from Everett High School are valuable in that format.

I think WRs from Everett High School are valuable in that format.
Boy did I think I was the schiznett when I picked up Antonio Brown and Josh Gordon before the season started last year for a deep discount. Well . . . it sounded really good at the time.

Boy did I think I was the schiznett when I picked up Antonio Brown and Josh Gordon before the season started last year for a deep discount. Well . . . it sounded really good at the time.
Brown already feels like it was 5 years ago.

ESPN Boston's Mike Reiss reports Mohamed Sanu has "hired a full-time coach to live with him" this offseason. 

Per Reiss, Sanu is hoping the unusual setup "creates a situation where his relentless offseason work produces tangible on-field results in 2020." Sanu is smarting after his injury-marred Patriots debut in 2019. He is reportedly "faster, quicker, leaner and in better shape" following offseason ankle surgery. Often forgotten in discussions about the Patriots, Sanu could be in for a bushel of targets after the team surrendered a second-round pick last fall.  

SOURCE: ESPN

Jul 19, 2020, 11:03 AM ET

ESPN's Mike Reiss left Mohamed Sanu off his final Patriots' 53-man roster projection.

Reiss also left Jakobi Meyers off the roster, keeping Damiere Byrd, Gunner Olszewski, and Devin Ross behind Julian Edelman and N'Keal Harry. Sanu was a major whiff by Bill Belichick, giving up a second-rounder for him at the trade deadline last season. He immediately got hurt, needing offseason ankle surgery, and appears to have lost the little effectiveness he had previously. 31-year-old Sanu carries a $6.5 million cap hit, all of which can be cleared if he's cut.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Sep 2, 2020, 1:16 PM ET

Getting cut by NE.
Rotoworld:

Patriots released WR Mohamed Sanu.

Sanu's ankle must be beyond repair. The Patriots made the stunning move at the trade deadline to acquire Sanu for a second-round pick last season, likely in an attempt to patch together a final Super Bowl push with Tom Brady. It didn't pay off to say the least. He injured his ankle immediately and never looked the same while playing through it. The Patriots have major issues at receiver right now with 34-year-old Julian Edelman and first-round question mark N'Keal Harry at the top of the depth chart. Bill Belichick probably needs to make a last-minute move to get Cam Newton some more weapons. At least this release saves Belichick $6.5 million in cap space.

RELATED: 

N'Keal Harry

, New England Patriots

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 2, 2020, 6:03 PM ET

If sanu is also still injured, which is what rotoworld seems to be claiming, he'll just take up another bed.
I haven’t seen anything to suggest he is injured. All the reports out of camp said he was in much better shape than last year. But he could not get open in practice. Not at all. No separation. 

I get the Shanahan connection, but if NE (who has close to no WR options) didn’t want him, that has to be a bad sign. 
Agreed, Sanu might just be done. Wonder if NE does anything at WR now. Edelman, Harry, Gunner, Byrd is a pretty rough top-4. 

I haven’t seen anything to suggest he is injured. All the reports out of camp said he was in much better shape than last year. But he could not get open in practice. Not at all. No separation. 
Julio and Matt made Sanu alot of money.

49ers signed WR Mohamed Sanu, formerly of the Falcons and Patriots.

The 49ers placed Deebo Samuel (foot) on injured reserve after he suffered a setback during his rehabilitation. Sanu has experience with coach Kyle Shanahan and likely slides into a notable role immediately, as long as his ankle cooperates. Training camp reports from New England were negative on that front, which ultimately made the receiver-needy Patriots release him. Sanu can be added in deep fantasy leagues but shouldn't be started in Week 2.

RELATED: 

Deebo Samuel

, Brandon Aiyuk

, Kendrick Bourne

, Trent Taylor

, New England Patriots

Sep 15, 2020, 6:52 PM ET

49ers signed WR Mohamed Sanu, formerly of the Falcons and Patriots.

The 49ers placed Deebo Samuel (foot) on injured reserve after he suffered a setback during his rehabilitation. Sanu has experience with coach Kyle Shanahan and likely slides into a notable role immediately, as long as his ankle cooperates. Training camp reports from New England were negative on that front, which ultimately made the receiver-needy Patriots release him. Sanu can be added in deep fantasy leagues but shouldn't be started in Week 2.

RELATED: 

Deebo Samuel

, Brandon Aiyuk

, Kendrick Bourne

, Trent Taylor

, New England Patriots

Sep 15, 2020, 6:52 PM ET

49ers WR Mohamed Sanu is expected to play Week 2 against the Jets.

The 49ers signed Sanu on Tuesday so it's a quick turnaround for the veteran but San Francisco had no other options. George Kittle is out with a knee injury and Deebo Samuel is still on injured reserve. Luckily for Sanu, he has experience in Kyle Shanahan's system dating back to their time together in Atlanta. He most recently flamed out in New England after the team acquired him from Atlanta for a second-round pick. Brandon Aiyuk is expected to return from a hamstring injury this week. Younger and more athletic, Aiyuk is the only receiver worth targeting in fantasy and even he is a deep flex play at best.

Sep 20, 2020, 9:08 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread