What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CPAP machines (1 Viewer)

Have you ever used a CPAP machine?

• Yes

Votes: 122 34.3%
  • No

Votes: 234 65.7%

• Total voters
I think I mentioned this earlier, but I have now officiall determined that when my weight goes above 210, I snore pretty badly. Between 205 and 210 it's periodic but not bad. Below 205 I pretty much don't snore at all.

It's pretty wild how a little bit of weight makes such a big difference. It's a pretty big incentive to keep my weight down...

well looks like i'm joining the Darth Vader Sleep Club. Had my sleep study last night (sucked ### BTW) and the tech said I had apnea pretty bad (nothing new from what my wife tells me). 

Awaiting results, but i'm sure I'll be bringing a unit home with me at some point. 

Whats the latest and greatest with these things? Are they big overall? Different types of masks (or is that determined by how 'bad' you are)? 

I know I need to lose weight, but snored forever so i doubt its a 1-1 issue.

Whats the latest and greatest with these things? Are they big overall? Different types of masks (or is that determined by how 'bad' you are)? 
I think it just depends on what you feel comfortable with.  I use a nose pillow but I also use a foam chinstrap to keep my mouth closed.  It looks like it would all be impossible to sleep with but you really do get used it.  

well looks like i'm joining the Darth Vader Sleep Club. Had my sleep study last night (sucked ### BTW) and the tech said I had apnea pretty bad (nothing new from what my wife tells me). 

Awaiting results, but i'm sure I'll be bringing a unit home with me at some point. 

I'm joining it as well (so, :blackdot:  for responses).

I tried doing a sleep center study a few years back, but I could not fall asleep there.  I did the at-home one not too long ago, and my oxygen levels were dropping pretty bad.  I weigh a little under 160; so, not a weight thing.  Waiting to hear back on machines after they check with insurance.  

Mine is the about the size of an XBox 360.  The was the first comparison that popped in my head.  I use the mask that fits over my nose and mouth because I sleep with my mouth open sometimes and the air would just blow out my mouth with the nose only mask.

I knew my sleep was terrible before my sleep study.  When sleeping around others they would wear ear plugs because of my snoring and they would say I would stop breathing.  My wife got me a fitbit and I monitored my sleeping and it was terrible.  I would be restless over 40 times a night and was losing well over an hour of solid sleep each night.  My sleep study was no surprise as the results showed I had pretty severe apnea.  It sucked going in for Dr. visits but my Dr. is smoking hot so that was nice.

I've had my CPAP for a few months now and it's been great.  I sleep soooo much better now.  I didn't think I'd sleep well with the mask on but I'm sleeping so soundly that I don't notice it.  It was one of the best things I've done for myself.  My throat is not as sore as it use to get also.

I'm joining it as well (so, :blackdot:  for responses).

I tried doing a sleep center study a few years back, but I could not fall asleep there.  I did the at-home one not too long ago, and my oxygen levels were dropping pretty bad.  I weigh a little under 160; so, not a weight thing.  Waiting to hear back on machines after they check with insurance.  
I was kinda in the same boat. 

I knew it would be tough, but even after a day where I got up at 5am to take my son to his hockey game, a 2nd game for him and then refereeing 2 games right before the study, I figured I'd go right out.....nope. Wrestled around for at least 2 hours trying to deal with the crap hooked up to me, the nose piece was the worst. I normally sleep on my stomach but spent most of last night on my back b/c of the wires, and when i'm on my back, my apnea is at its worse. So I know my results will come back worse b/c of that. Grrrrrr

on a silly note, I hate tight sheets. So after being hooked up, i couldn't get comfortable, so I tried to stretch the sheets from being tucked under the bed so tight, and the damn TV remove fell off the other side of the bed. Damn....go stuck watching a shark tank marathon...maybe thats why I couldn't sleep. I could have called the tech, but was kinda embarrassed. 

Last edited by a moderator:

I knew it would be tough, but even after a day where I got up at 5am to take my son to his hockey game, a 2nd game for him and then refereeing 2 games right before the study, I figured I'd go right out.....nope. Wrestled around for at least 2 hours trying to deal with the crap hooked up to me, the nose piece was the worst. I normally sleep on my stomach but spent most of last night on my back b/c of the wires, and when i'm on my back, my apnea is at its worse. So I know my results will come back worse b/c of that. Grrrrrr
I use to sleep on my stomach a lot but I found that I did because I was tossing and turning so much.  Now that I have my CPAP I fall asleep on my back or side right away and rarely move now.  I have no need to sleep on my stomach to get comfortable now.

So i gotta ask....whats the wive's reaction been to this. 

To be blunt....Its really not all that attractive and I cant imagine most women getting all hot and bothered over having this thing around unless they have some robot fetish.  I know you dont wear it while having the secs, but just seems a little anti romantic to be wearing afterward. 

IDK< maybe they like you better b/c you let them sleep the other 29 nights in the month. But I guess i'm just having an issue coming to grips with my machismo with this. 

on a silly note, I hate tight sheets. So after being hooked up, i couldn't get comfortable, so I tried to stretch the sheets from being tucked under the bed so tight, and the damn TV remove fell off the other side of the bed. Damn....go stuck watching a shark tank marathon...maybe thats why I couldn't sleep. I could have called the tech, but was kinda embarrassed. 
do you typically watch TV while in bed?

do you typically watch TV while in bed?
yes....wasnt so much losing the remote wouldn't let me turn it off, but getting stuck not being able to change the channel while also trying to get comfortable with all the wires and such. I think that added to the sense of helplessness and discomfort. Had I been able to change to as show that interested me more, I might have been more comfortable...or not.

yes....wasnt so much losing the remote wouldn't let me turn it off, but getting stuck not being able to change the channel while also trying to get comfortable with all the wires and such. I think that added to the sense of helplessness and discomfort. Had I been able to change to as show that interested me more, I might have been more comfortable...or not.
have you tried going to bed without the tv to see how it would impact your ability to fall asleep?

with or without the CPAP, i mean

To be blunt....Its really not all that attractive and I cant imagine most women getting all hot and bothered over having this thing around unless they have some robot fetish.  I know you dont wear it while having the secs, but just seems a little anti romantic to be wearing afterward. 

IDK< maybe they like you better b/c you let them sleep the other 29 nights in the month. But I guess i'm just having an issue coming to grips with my machismo with this. 
My wife is the one who lined up my appointment and told me to do it.  She's glad I'm sleeping better.  We've been married for 11 years now so how I look isn't really a thing any more.  I tell her I look like a fighter pilot with mine on.  All I need is the helmet.

My wife has a CPAP and I've been thinking about getting her the Lumin or SoClean mask cleaners.   Anyone have any experiences with either?

glvsav37 said:

From what I can tell, I think my wife prefers I stay alive, so she is fine with the machine.  Its not difficult tho give her a little cuddle time after the deed before putting it on to go to sleep

My wife has a CPAP and I've been thinking about getting her the Lumin or SoClean mask cleaners.   Anyone have any experiences with either?
Got a lumin. Love it. Would never own a so clean. Ozone? Hell no.

If you have a health FSA account at work you can get one for $250 on the FSAstore.com and have it automatically covered out of your FSA funds.

Anyone tried to resell extra parts?  I'm starting to pile up masks, filters, etc because I change them once a month instead of twice.  I imagine there is demand from people that don't have good insurance or any insurance?  These masks aren't cheap and they're sealed up.

glvsav37 said:

Yeah, in 99% of cases people are at their worst on their back in REM. That's the standard techs strive toward in treating you is REM on your back. If they are able to eliminate or significantly reduce events on your back, pretty much every other position is fixed along with it.

And sleeping with a mask on your stomach is tough. You'll probably just end up getting used to your back or sides.

glvsav37 said:

I look like Teletubby. The tube going on top of my head let's me roll around without choking myself.

glvsav37 said:

Again, I look like a Teletubby. :pickle:

glvsav37 said:

I’ve been married long enough that by the time I go to bed I know if something is happening or not. 

Your wife doesn’t find it attractive?  Ask her how attractive you’ll look in your coffin if you don’t use it. 

Anyone tried to resell extra parts?  I'm starting to pile up masks, filters, etc because I change them once a month instead of twice.  I imagine there is demand from people that don't have good insurance or any insurance?  These masks aren't cheap and they're sealed up.
Yes as long as they are not opened. 

glvsav37 said:

I do it while wearing it. My wife loves it. The bonus is I'm back to sleep in like 30 seconds with no hassle. 

anyone have an auto cleaner for it?  I can never get it clean and think its responsible for my cough that wont go away....

The wife suggested I get a sleep study done.  She was tired of being woken up by my snoring, shoving my face in a different direction, and not being able to go back to sleep.  So, I did it (through Kaiser).  The monitor was something that I taped to my chest, and strapped around my index finger.  It read my patterns overnight.  Turned it in the next morning.  Efff man, I was showing 61 incidents per hour.  No wonder I'm so tired during the day, and fighting sleep while driving long distances. 

Kaiser loaned me a CPAP for a week.  The machine somehow sends the info to Kaiser (cellular data I guess).  They gave me two different masks to try out (nose pillows and over-the-nose).  I did better with the nose pillows.  In that week, I was only able to get 2 nights with sleep of 4 or more consecutive hours of sleep while wearing the mask.  The other 5 nights, I got frustrated after about 2 hrs and took it off for the rest of the night.  I returned the loaner and was surprised with the results.  I went from 60+ incidents per hour, down to 3.4.  Not 34, but 3.4.  So, I walked out of my consultation with a new machine.  Luckily, my benefits cover 80% of the cost. 

Now that I'm wearing it more regularly, I'm getting more accustomed to it.  The wife is too, as she woke me up the other morning for some morning nook. 

Every time I stumble upon this thread I think it is titled CRAP Machines and it makes me chuckle. 

So I just watched the Lumin video and I was watching the chick the whole time and completely missed the machine.

Curious what everyone uses: the heater or no heater for the water? 

Water lasfs longer when not heated. And I don’t notice a difference in my sleep between the two. Do you? 

Curious what everyone uses: the heater or no heater for the water? 

Water lasfs longer when not heated. And I don’t notice a difference in my sleep between the two. Do you? 

kevzilla said:
No water. Twenty-two years and counting. A little rubber cement in my nose in the morning is not as much of a hassle as the humidifier. :shrug:
This.  I think I'd prefer to use it, but it's a hassle.

How is the humidifier a hassle?  Because you have to put water in it?  That doesn't seem so tough.  I need the humidifier.  I use a full mask over the nose and mouth, and without water, my mouth and throat get painfully dry and wakes me up.  I usually get two days out of a fill up.

How is the humidifier a hassle?  Because you have to put water in it?  That doesn't seem so tough.  I need the humidifier.  I use a full mask over the nose and mouth, and without water, my mouth and throat get painfully dry and wakes me up.  I usually get two days out of a fill up.
Cleaning moreso than the filling.

Or maybe I need to use filtered water which we don't usually use?

I don't clean mine very often...probably not a good thing, but I haven't had any issues.  I do use distilled water.

Distilled here also, cool/room temp. My tank has run out during the night and I like waking up humid vs dry. Not sure if my actual sleep is any different.

Pores on my nose sometimes look “wet” during the day. That’s not enough for me to go dry. 

I keep a gallon of distilled water in my night stand.  Not much of a hassle.  

I don't think not using the humidifier exempts you from cleaning your equipment.

With that said, I hardly ever clean it.  

I noticed the water looking a little funky once after I went a few days without using it. Just dumped it, ran a bunch of hot water in the tank, and refilled. 

I had my first night with it last night.  It took me a few hours to fall asleep with it on (full mask).  Maybe a bit of anxiety, as I, at one point, found myself googling CPAP suffocation risk -- which maybe calmed myself down, once I realized the risk was pretty low.  AHI score looks a lot better than it did from the sleep study, at least.

How long does it usually take before falling asleep with it on becomes second nature?

I had my first night with it last night.  It took me a few hours to fall asleep with it on (full mask).  Maybe a bit of anxiety, as I, at one point, found myself googling CPAP suffocation risk -- which maybe calmed myself down, once I realized the risk was pretty low.  AHI score looks a lot better than it did from the sleep study, at least.

How long does it usually take before falling asleep with it on becomes second nature?
Took me a few weeks to get used to.

You don't notice any minerals building up in the tank?  I think that's the main thing.  
Not really.  I change the water out daily and wash the tank every 3 or 4 weeks.

Might try distilled water now though, if that's what I am "supposed" to do.

Users who are viewing this thread