What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] Golden Tate (1 Viewer)

Why so much love for Tate and so little for a guy like Josh Morgan? Equal QBs, equally injury prone WR-mates, strong running game. Washington has a much worse defense necessitating the need for possible shoot-outs. I just don't get all the Golden Tate love.

I think right now its because he could very well be the #1 option depending on what is happening with brittle Sidney Rice.

I also think there is a "been there, done that" aspect with Josh Morgan.

I can understand not buying in on Tate, but I don't see similarities with Morgan.

Why so much love for Tate and so little for a guy like Josh Morgan? Equal QBs, equally injury prone WR-mates, strong running game. Washington has a much worse defense necessitating the need for possible shoot-outs. I just don't get all the Golden Tate love.
Book may have been written on Morgan. Conversely Tate in 3rd year and had good production down the stretch last year. Now you throw in opportunity and his efficiency with opportunities thus far..

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would a guy who wasn't a good receiving WR in college and hasn't been a good receiving WR in the pros suddenly turn into a good receiving WR at age 28?

I wish I'd rostered Tate more often when he was on the WW. Wouldn't be surprised to see him be one of the lesser revelations of 2013.

Why would a guy who wasn't a good receiving WR in college and hasn't been a good receiving WR in the pros suddenly turn into a good receiving WR at age 28?

I wish I'd rostered Tate more often when he was on the WW. Wouldn't be surprised to see him be one of the lesser revelations of 2013.
Morgan was starting to bloom in SF before injury ended his season, and then he came to DC. He's fully healthy now for the first time in quite a while, and he's pretty handily beating out Hankerson (who is inconsistent and timid) for the Skins WR2 spot. You'd think he was paid by the yard, with how hard he fights for YAC. And he's rarely going to leave the field, with how effective a run blocker he is. Shanahan loves him and it's possible he finally lives up to his potential.

I thought he had some decent chemistry going there with Wilson end of last year.

Morgan was starting to bloom in SF before injury ended his season,
Impressive

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8951/gamelog?year=2011
Most impressive.

He's maxed out IMO.

Impressive

Most impressive.

He's maxed out IMO.
You'd have to actually watch him play. But read the box scores all you want. I know tons of SF fans that were convinced he was on the edge of breaking out and harnessing that physical ability when he was injured with the 49ers.

Impressive

Most impressive.He's maxed out IMO.
You'd have to actually watch him play. But read the box scores all you want. I know tons of SF fans that were convinced he was on the edge of breaking out and harnessing that physical ability when he was injured with the 49ers.
I'm a Skins fan. I saw every play last year. I've seen enough. Even his "highlights" aren't impressive.

Impressive

Most impressive.

He's maxed out IMO.
Can't think of a single one. Morgan was little more than an impressive practice player. Great athlete that fooled a lot of beat writers, but an average NFL WR at best. The fans I know, of which I've been one for over forty years, had no illusions about Morgan.

I believe that those are the personal experiences each of you had, and that's fair. But they don't match my own, and there is a general excitement about Morgan from Skins fans this offseason. He's not special, but he's very well-rounded and more explosive after the catch than a lot of guys. And he has RG3 throwing to him.

Always kind of liked Morgan with the Niners. He's not a very flashy player though and I'd be surprised if his stats ever blew up.

The fact that he's still drawing an NFL paycheck after all these years tells you that he can play a little bit.

He's useful because he's huge and a great blocker who can catch. But he's not a strong receiving WR and IMO there's no reason to think he'll become one now.

Rotoworld:

Golden Tate has been the Seahawks "highest tester in terms of assignments," according to coach Pete Carroll.
In other words, Tate knows the offense and executes his job seamlessly. It's a stark contrast from his first few years in the league, where he admitted to just trying to beat people with his unique athleticism. Now more a more mature route-runner playing every down at the split end spot, Tate is a breakout candidate. It doesn't hurt that he's in a contract year.

Source: ESPN 710 Seattle

Rotoworld:

The Seattle Post-Intelligencer says Golden Tate continues to "look like he's primed for a breakout season."
Tate ripped off a 33-yard grab against the Broncos on Saturday, giving him a 3/45/0 line through a meager 36 snaps this preseason. A special athlete that finally looks comfortable in the scheme, he's primed for big numbers in a contract year. Sidney Rice's knee issues have kept him out of exhibition games. Tate is a strong value pick in the eighth or ninth round of fantasy drafts.

Source: Seattle Post-Intelligencer

I like Tate for 2013. But beyond that, in dynasty, I am not thrilled by him. He seems like an average talent, not a featured receiver. Do you see Seattle spending a ton to keep him? Do you see him being signed to be a featured WR by another team?

Rotoworld:

The Seattle Post-Intelligencer says Golden Tate continues to "look like he's primed for a breakout season."
Tate ripped off a 33-yard grab against the Broncos on Saturday, giving him a 3/45/0 line through a meager 36 snaps this preseason. A special athlete that finally looks comfortable in the scheme, he's primed for big numbers in a contract year. Sidney Rice's knee issues have kept him out of exhibition games. Tate is a strong value pick in the eighth or ninth round of fantasy drafts.

Tate looked very good in the Broncos game, but what is a 'breakout season' for him in this offense - 60/900/6?

Rotoworld:

Tate looked very good in the Broncos game, but what is a 'breakout season' for him in this offense - 60/900/6?
I certainly wouldn't mind that kind of production from my WR3 or WR4 slot.

Rotoworld:

Coach Pete Carroll says Golden Tate has come a long way and is the smartest receiver on the team.
Carroll continued to say that Tate was a baseball player trying to learn football as a rookie in 2010. He now scores the highest on tests and has turned into a smart football player in his fourth season out of Notre Dame. It's just the latest praise directed at Tate since the end of the 2012 season. He's now a more mature route-runner who wins with technique and athleticism. Tate had a decent Week 1, reeling in four passes for 51 yards. We still love his upside as a breakout candidate this season. He's firmly on the WR3 radar.

Source: Eric Williams on Twitter

Golden Tate should have a big night tonight. 100 yds and 2 TDs. Harvin is out and the playoffs and seeds are at stake. Tate shows up for big games, be interesting to see what he does tonight vs the Saints.

Golden Tate should have a big night tonight. 100 yds and 2 TDs. Harvin is out and the playoffs and seeds are at stake. Tate shows up for big games, be interesting to see what he does tonight vs the Saints.
You think he's gonna do all of that against Keenan Lewis? I don't know who he'll be covering but he's been lights out all year.

Rotoworld:

Golden Tate caught four passes for 45 yards in Week 13 against New Orleans.

Tate was targeted five times on the night. His lone deep ball opportunity fell incomplete and was nearly picked off. Tate's biggest play came on a third-and-13 screen play in which he picked up 17 yards up the right side. After 12 games, Tate is on pace to catch 61 passes for 860 yards and five touchdowns. The catches and yards would be career-highs for the free-agent-to-be. Tate will be a middling WR3 for the fantasy playoffs.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Chris Mortensen stated on NFL Live Monday that free agent Golden Tate is "probably gonna be expendable" for the Seahawks.
Tate didn't quite make the leap the Seahawks anticipated in 2013, finishing with a 64-898-5 stat line while generally looking stretched as a No. 1 receiver. He'd be much better suited in a playmaking No. 2 role, ideally on a more wideout-friendly team with more passing volume. Tate is only 25 years old. His fantasy stock would rise in a location like Detroit, which needs a No. 2 wide receiver.

He's stretched as a #1, but he'd make a really solid #2. If he goes to a team that can support two WRs he'll be FF relevant.

He's stretched as a #1, but he'd make a really solid #2. If he goes to a team that can support two WRs he'll be FF relevant.
:goodposting:

Tate can play. Agree that he's not an ideal NFL WR1, but he'll be a quality starter for whoever signs him. He hasn't really had a big flashy breakout season, but he's been on a steady upward trajectory since entering the league.

FF-wise, he just needs more targets. In 2013 he finished WR30 on just < 100 targets on the team that finished 31st in passing attempts -- if he signs with a team that throws the ball more he could be a decent FF WR2.

I actually think that Seattle doesn't sign Tate back.
Those of us who have him in dynasty can only hope. Hope he doesn't get an offer or want to go to his home state of Tennesse. Maybe go to his college state of Indiana. The Colts would look pretty good with Wayne, Tate and Hilton.

Those of us who have him in dynasty can only hope. Hope he doesn't get an offer or want to go to his home state of Tennesse. Maybe go to his college state of Indiana. The Colts would look pretty good with Wayne, Tate and Hilton.
He's likely to see at least a small bump in targets almost anywhere else as opposed to staying in Seattle. I don't think he's gonna break the bank at all so most teams might be in play.

He's likely to see at least a small bump in targets almost anywhere else as opposed to staying in Seattle. I don't think he's gonna break the bank at all so most teams might be in play.
I agree and think enough teams will be interested that he will have to make a decision. Will that decision be based on being a teams #1..., money.....,QB....Team Location.... etc. I hope he doesn't chase dollars to a team that provides him no better opprotunity for increased numbers.

I agree and think enough teams will be interested that he will have to make a decision. Will that decision be based on being a teams #1..., money.....,QB....Team Location.... etc. I hope he doesn't chase dollars to a team that provides him no better opprotunity for increased numbers.
Worst case scenario is probably giving Seattle a hometown discount to stay and try to win more rings. I'd be thrilled if he chased the money to a crappy team that will have to throw all game. See Garçon, Pierre.

He's going to the highest bidder. Very few guys in the NFL would do anything differently, especially young ones. I don't see him returning to SEA as they have a lot of work to do over the next two years to keep within the cap as some of their young players have expiring contracts. I don't see Tate as the kind of guy they're going to make a huge effort to keep in a scenario where cap dollars become scarce.

He's going to the highest bidder. Very few guys in the NFL would do anything differently, especially young ones. I don't see him returning to SEA as they have a lot of work to do over the next two years to keep within the cap as some of their young players have expiring contracts. I don't see Tate as the kind of guy they're going to make a huge effort to keep in a scenario where cap dollars become scarce.
Don't disagree with your main premise, but in this case, how much is the highest bidder likely to offer? This rookie class is deep at WR, and other guys in FA will likely command higher $$$ amounts. Tate isn't too likely to get any offers that completely price him out of the market for anyone IMO. I own him, hope he ends up elsewhere, and think it's likely that he does. But this isn't going to be a Mike Wallace situation where the original team just has no chance...

Yeah, I can't see Tate commanding very much on the open market. He is not an elite WR by any stretch of the imagination, and he probably has more value to the Seahawks at a reduced price than he would on another team for a slightly higher price (given that you can't count on Rice to come back healthy or Harvin to stay healthy).

Ghost Rider said:
Yeah, I can't see Tate commanding very much on the open market. He is not an elite WR by any stretch of the imagination, and he probably has more value to the Seahawks at a reduced price than he would on another team for a slightly higher price (given that you can't count on Rice to come back healthy or Harvin to stay healthy).
I agree that his contract isn't going to be a break the bank type, but I'm guessing that Tate will start by looking for Amendola/Hartline deals (both got about 30million, 5 year deals). That might be a bit high for him, but not by a ton since Tate is a solid return guy as well.

And I disagree that he has more value to the Seahawks at a reduced price. I've always felt that if a player has more value to a given team (usually his current team) his value is at an increased price to the team. Don't count out one of the NFC West rivals making a strong push for him either, who could make a value case that his knowledge of SEA has value as well.

Yea, I think he will get some decent offers. Probably more than Seattle will be willing/able to pay.

I don't see much value in fantasy. This will likely be his career year. He is a good complement in football and has real football value, but he has little fantasy value. With Harvin out he had a real opportunity and he failed to establish himself as an elite fantasy player.

Ghost Rider said:
I agree that his contract isn't going to be a break the bank type, but I'm guessing that Tate will start by looking for Amendola/Hartline deals (both got about 30million, 5 year deals). That might be a bit high for him, but not by a ton since Tate is a solid return guy as well.

And I disagree that he has more value to the Seahawks at a reduced price. I've always felt that if a player has more value to a given team (usually his current team) his value is at an increased price to the team. Don't count out one of the NFC West rivals making a strong push for him either, who could make a value case that his knowledge of SEA has value as well.
Maybe, but the teams in the NFC West don't really need a WR like Tate. Rams need a #1 but have decent depth; Arizona maybe if Fitz left, San Fran maybe if Boldin left.

He seems a perfect fit in Detroit.

Users who are viewing this thread