What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Cam Newton, CAR (3 Viewers)

I don't think Cam's done, but he's banged up at the wrong time. This may be a wasted year. If he's not running 4th and 1/2 from the two, then something is more wrong than they're letting on.

On a different note, I personally love and endorse Cam's outfits. He reminds me of Andre 3000 from OutKast. So out there, so bizarre, so cool.

So Fresh, So Clean (NSFW?)
He is nowhere near as cool as dre

Cam sank me to 0-2 (both single-digit losses) but thankfully I was able to grab Wilson before this week's rash of new QB injuries. So much for that "top 5 upside."

tank for tua in play
Not really. Way too many teams that are way worse than Carolina. Frankly, Newton might benefit from a week or 2 off anyway. He probably shouldn't have played the last 2 weeks if he wasn't over the foot injury. 

Is his back up worth much? 
Will Grier is a very interesting prospect, he's got a very good arm, and excellent accuracy, but also played in a spread offense in college. I don't know that he can run Newton's offense(though they haven't really been running it to full strength anyway, without Cam's legs) but he can absolutely succeed in a timing based offense. Grier is similar to Mason Rudolph, where the tape said 1st round pick, but the offensive style made teams nervous.

All that said, I'm not sure Grier is ahead of Kyle Allen yet. Allen looked competent in 1 start last year after Cam went on IR. 

I think I could complete passes against the Cardinals, so either would would be set up for success, as Cam will be if he does end up playing. 

I have no use for players who are all about "look at me". He looked like an idiot after that game in the press conference...."I know I played the worse game ever but look how good I look now". He doesn't care about winning. Could you imagine Brady, Brees, or Manning dressing like that(Obviously they couldn't pull it off...maybe Fitzmagic). My point is I'm sick of the "look at me Facebook diva's.

It's good news he is hurt.... Beacuse if he wasn't then yikes he is done... Let him sit a week or 3 and get him healthy. 

It's good news he is hurt.... Beacuse if he wasn't then yikes he is done... Let him sit a week or 3 and get him healthy. 
Then the season is kaput.    We are not winning with Allen or Greir.  My buddy in charlotte says there is talk on the radio about Cap.   I really hope that isnt the case

Then the season is kaput.    We are not winning with Allen or Greir.  My buddy in charlotte says there is talk on the radio about Cap.   I really hope that isnt the case
Kaep couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.  He's basically a glorified RB.  Worse passer than Cam if that's possible.  lol  PLUS he brings a PR nightmare and a huge distraction. 

Retire? Dude is only 30. He's got a good 5-10 years as a top notch passer.

Oh, wait he can't pass the ball and his gig (running the ball) is over. This is why you don't draft a QB who makes his living running with the football coming out of college.

Rotoworld:

Cam Newton (undisclosed) won't practice Tuesday.

The team announced Newton wasn't available without disclosing an actual reason for his absence. It could be much ado about nothing, but it's bad timing given the signal-caller's empty 300-yard performance and shaky body language from Thursday's loss. Coach Ron Rivera will take to the podium to elaborate at 2:30pm ET.

SOURCE: Max Henson on Twitter

Sep 17, 2019, 11:24 AM ET

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Cam Newton's (foot) status for Week 3 is "up in the air."

Newton reportedly re-aggravated the same left foot he initially injured in the preseason and hasn't recovered nearly a week later. He's technically listed as day-to-day, but that seems like the best-case scenario at this point. Newton spent all of Tuesday's practice rehabbing. Heading into Week 3 on the wrong side of questionable, the Panthers will likely turn to either Kyle Allen or rookie Will Grier against the Cardinals.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Sep 17, 2019, 11:34 AM ET

Mongidig said:
I have no use for players who are all about "look at me". He looked like an idiot after that game in the press conference...."I know I played the worse game ever but look how good I look now". He doesn't care about winning. Could you imagine Brady, Brees, or Manning dressing like that(Obviously they couldn't pull it off...maybe Fitzmagic). My point is I'm sick of the "look at me Facebook diva's.
You mean 50% of the NFL now?

Speaking Tuesday, Panthers coach Ron Rivera admitted Cam Newton (foot) was uncertain for Week 3 against the Cardinals.

It sounds like Newton has been receiving around the clock treatment, but Rivera did not sound like a man who expected to have his quarterback this week. Rivera said second-year UDFA Kyle Allen would get the call over rookie third-rounder Will Grier if Newton isn't ready. A "limited" Wednesday practice would have Newton on track to start, but it sounds like he will be "DNP."

SOURCE: Brendan Marks on Twitter

Sep 17, 2019, 2:37 PM ET

Anyone have this feeling that Cam is likely to retire by year's end (if not sooner?) He just seems like he doesn't have ANY passion for the game anymore. He used to be so animated and emotional (whether happy when they were winning or upset when they were losing) and now....he just seems like he doesn't care. Like he's more interested in raiding his Grandmother's wardrobe than playing football. 

Anyone have this feeling that Cam is likely to retire by year's end (if not sooner?) He just seems like he doesn't have ANY passion for the game anymore. He used to be so animated and emotional (whether happy when they were winning or upset when they were losing) and now....he just seems like he doesn't care. Like he's more interested in raiding his Grandmother's wardrobe than playing football. 
I saw it last Thursday night. He looked totally un-interested in playing football. A shell of his former self. I realize he is hurt. But the injuries and beatings he took after his Super Bowl appearance appear to have taken it's toll.

I think he is done and will retire after this season. Just a feeling. I see zero passion with him playing right now. He has a ton of $$$....I think he is done.

lod001 said:

Oh, wait he can't pass the ball and his gig (running the ball) is over. This is why you don't draft a QB who makes his living running with the football coming out of college.
Why not?  The other QBs from his class were Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Dalton, Kaepernick, Ryan Mallet, Ricky Stanzi, TJ Yates, and Tyrod Taylor.  Heck, the first QB picks of the NEXT draft were Luck, RG3, Tannehill and Weeden and Cam outlasted all of them (as a starter, or even as an NFL player).  The top QBs in the following draft were EJ Manuel and Geno Smith, and ones been out of the league for 2 years now and the other has less than 100 pass attempts total the last 4 seasons.  Even the top QB 3 years after Cam's draft, Blake Bortles, was never worth it and is no longer a starter, and not due to health - while the other two first round QBs that draft were Manziel and Teddy B. 

If you can get a franchise altering QB with a single first round pick (who eventually takes you to a Super Bowl), you do it 10 times out of 10 no questions asked.

lod001 said:

# of Playoff berths for the Carolina Panthers

4 in the 17 seasons prior to drafting Cam (includes a SB appearance)

4 in the 8 seasons with Cam (includes a SB appearance)

Just want to have it on record...I 100% guarantee Cam will have a career after football in broadcasting in some fashion. 

# of Playoff berths for the Carolina Panthers

4 in the 17 seasons prior to drafting Cam (includes a SB appearance)

4 in the 8 seasons with Cam (includes a SB appearance)
He's been a dynamic talent, but without the running threat, he's not a good enough passer.  The hits are catching up with him

He's been a dynamic talent, but without the running threat, he's not a good enough passer.  The hits are catching up with him
Right, but that doesn't matter when discussing his value to the Panthers since 2011. He's easily one of the top-10 players of this decade. 

This I how I feel. I don't think he'll be interested in many more surgeries. If Panthers go 4 or 5 wins this year, I wouldn't be surprised if he retired and tried to start a career in Hollywood. Seems like the type to me.

Right, but that doesn't matter when discussing his value to the Panthers since 2011. He's easily one of the top-10 players of this decade. 
Meh....he's had moments, but time and again, he is inaccurate. 59% comp. rate and and 86 career passer rating....pretty mediocre, especially in todays pass crazy league...again, his rushing made him dynamic, but he's 30, and he's toast.

I was responding to the ridiculous post that suggested the Panther's should not have used the #1 overall pick on him 
Yea, I do agree with you based on the other QB's in the class, but getting a cornerstone defensive player or LT,  and waiting for a year on QB maybe would've been better, I dunno.....just not a fan of the guy.

Basically Cam has been good for several years and obviously returned great value as a first overall pick and his detractors have been biding their time til he struggles to do their victory laps. They are quick to say that him being a running qb lead to injuries when injuries easily derailed other highly drafted QBs like Luck, Griffin, Mariota, Locker and Bradford. No one really blames them for their injuries in the same way. 

Basically Cam has been good for several years and obviously returned great value as a first overall pick and his detractors have been biding their time til he struggles to do their victory laps. They are quick to say that him being a running qb lead to injuries when injuries easily derailed other highly drafted QBs like Luck, Griffin, Mariota, Locker and Bradford. No one really blames them for their injuries in the same way. 
I think people just don't like Cam personally. He's been a good QB and led his team to a Super Bowl where he ran into a dominant, almost historic defense. He doesn't really deserve the stuff he takes from the average fan. It's too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread