What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Cam Newton, CAR (3 Viewers)

Its interesting. There certainly aren't 64 QB's better than Cam Newton, if he were open to being a backup, he should have a pretty solid market. But it doesn't seem like he'd be willing to swallow his pride, as the article states, as guys like Joe Flacco, Mark Brunell, and Matt Schaub did. 

Somewhat off topic, its always been interesting that guys often just retire once they are done being starters at QB. Its such a mental position, that even guys who lost half their arm strength would still be valuable as backups who can just not screw up. Every year it seems like we see a team, or several teams, go from contender, to also-ran, just because they lost their starting QB, and because they had a great starter, the backup is often someone completely useless. Just my opinion, but quality backups are making 3-5 million a year, and usually taking very few hits. Seems like great work if you can get it. 

I look at teams that are true contenders, and wonder why they aren't spending a little bit more at backup QB, frankly, I'd argue the position is as important as some starters, for the same reason why it makes sense to have insurance. 

Just looking at this year's contenders, I can't help but think the Rams, Chargers, Bengals, Broncos, Vikings, and Raiders, would all be better off with Cam as their #2 QB than what they have. I highlight those teams in particular, as they have starters who should feel completely unthreatened by Newton's presence.

Whereas other playoff contenders, such as SF(assuming Jimmy G is gone) Washington, Tennessee, and maybe even Arizona, I could see how he could be a distraction. 

Its interesting. There certainly aren't 64 QB's better than Cam Newton, if he were open to being a backup, he should have a pretty solid market. But it doesn't seem like he'd be willing to swallow his pride, as the article states, as guys like Joe Flacco, Mark Brunell, and Matt Schaub did. 

what I saw of him, he looked washed. He can still run the ball decently, but he has no accuracy, his deep ball is wobbly, and he’s not great with his progressions - I don’t know that he ever was great at that, as he liked to take off running so often.

You're probably right that he’s better than like 15-ish backups, but If I’m a GM, I’m bringing in JimmyG’s steady hand over Cam. 

Somewhat off topic, its always been interesting that guys often just retire once they are done being starters at QB. Its such a mental position, that even guys who lost half their arm strength would still be valuable as backups who can just not screw up. Every year it seems like we see a team, or several teams, go from contender, to also-ran, just because they lost their starting QB, and because they had a great starter, the backup is often someone completely useless. Just my opinion, but quality backups are making 3-5 million a year, and usually taking very few hits. Seems like great work if you can get it. 

I look at teams that are true contenders, and wonder why they aren't spending a little bit more at backup QB, frankly, I'd argue the position is as important as some starters, for the same reason why it makes sense to have insurance. 

Just looking at this year's contenders, I can't help but think the Rams, Chargers, Bengals, Broncos, Vikings, and Raiders, would all be better off with Cam as their #2 QB than what they have. I highlight those teams in particular, as they have starters who should feel completely unthreatened by Newton's presence.

Whereas other playoff contenders, such as SF(assuming Jimmy G is gone) Washington, Tennessee, and maybe even Arizona, I could see how he could be a distraction. 
According to Over The Cap, Newton has made $134M in his career.  This doesn't count endorsement $$ which I'm sure career wise is in the 8-figures.

I have to think for a guy like Newton...or any QB for that matter, even if they are they back-up, they would prepare for the season like they would if they were the starter.  Same workout intensity.  Same film study intensity.  You'd have to.  Except on Sunday, you're not playing.  And I could see a guy like Newton thinking that wouldn't be good enough.  He's made his fortune...should be set.  Can probably have a nice lucrative post-career as well.

The issue with Newton as a backup is he couldn’t take over for a pass heavy team (unless a team is willing to have a secondary scheme that fits Cam). I can’t see Newton going to a TB, CIN, KC, etc. At this stage, maybe he could be an ok backup in SF, CLE, BAL, or NE (who didn’t want him). I don’t see him being NFL caliber as a passer any longer. 

Free Agent QB Cam Newton will throw at Auburn's Pro Day on Tuesday.​

Newton last threw an NFL pass in 2021 in his return to the Panthers. The 11-year veteran, three-time Pro Bowler, and 2015 MVP appears intent on continuing his robust NFL career, likely leveraging the numerous starting quarterback positions available around the league in a bid to return to the game. Newton has not had any ties to NFL franchises over the previous year.
Mar 20, 2023, 8:17 PM ET

Bleacher Report @BleacherReport
"How these randoms keep getting jobs? ... Ain't 32 motherf--kers better than me" 😳

Cam Newton announced he will be throwing at Auburn's Pro Day on Tuesday

(via @CameronNewton)

UNDISPUTED @undisputed
.@ShannonSharpe on Cam Newton announcing he’ll throw at Auburn’s Pro Day:

“Cam, you haven’t been good in a very long time. It’s 2023, this isn’t 2015 anymore. I hate to break it to you, but you’re now one of those ‘randoms.’”

Could be true, but it seems many guys who have been great think they still have it longer than they do. The guy won an MVP and I think deserves respect rather than ridicule.
He had that phase and didn't hang em up so now he gets teased- it's pretty regular for such a big vocal and colorful character.
If he were quieter with even a touch of humility, the reactions would be different. For sure, fans.
He's a big presence. I'd question if Belichick would have even let him go or instead chose to have him backup Mac.
Cam has a ton of fans in Car. PJ had a lot of support from XFL fans and was taking his lumps adjusting to the NFL and the coach put Cam in inside the twenty. He was the red zone QB. PJ did the work to get his offense there but Cam got the goal or prize or...whatever of getting the TD.
Reporters love the guy for his quotes. TV loves his outfits. It puts weird pressure on the coaching staff to play him.

A million n one coaches in today's world were raised on John Wooden or his philosophies/quotes/beliefs. They're supposed to be teachers first and players be students first.
Cam's a know it all and his arrogance is self defeating.

By all accounts he's a super nice guy. If he had one ounce of humility, someone would have developed him into a pocket passer.

The only route I can see for him that isn't humility is start throwing for like 1000 yards per game in the XFL.

He's gotta eat that crow, maybe watch his own tape doing so, go to some team or QB coach humble and ready to learn

Could be true, but it seems many guys who have been great think they still have it longer than they do. The guy won an MVP and I think deserves respect rather than ridicule.

Disagree this guy was a clown going back to his college days. Pulling the race card for not starting at UF and also stealing computers. Got into Auburn because they paid off his dad. Cam was always about one thing himself. He also big timed pro bowl vets in his first pro bowl and got a talking to from them about it. Guys going up to him to get a signature for their kids or bringing them up to meet him and he blew them off like he couldn't be bothered. Rookie year he made the team bus to the airport almost an hour late after a loss because he sulked in the locker room. He never took accountability for loses and he failed to go after a fumble in the SB

BTW that year CK finally was benched the same year Cam's team was undefeated he's a comparison of their game stats. Now I'm not saying CK is better but reverse the roles of who these guys played for and Cam is the one getting benched that year not CK

The guy is an absolute punk. I got zero respect for someone who wants to be above the game and his team.

Disagree this guy was a clown going back to his college days. Pulling the race card for not starting at UF and also stealing computers. Got into Auburn because they paid off his dad. Cam was always about one thing himself. He also big timed pro bowl vets in his first pro bowl and got a talking to from them about it. Guys going up to him to get a signature for their kids or bringing them up to meet him and he blew them off like he couldn't be bothered. Rookie year he made the team bus to the airport almost an hour late after a loss because he sulked in the locker room. He never took accountability for loses and he failed to go after a fumble in the SB

BTW that year CK finally was benched the same year Cam's team was undefeated he's a comparison of their game stats. Now I'm not saying CK is better but reverse the roles of who these guys played for and Cam is the one getting benched that year not CK

The guy is an absolute punk. I got zero respect for someone who wants to be above the game and his team.
I finally agree with some of what you’re saying. keyword some.

Cam haters welcome. I think the brashness that people don't react well to is what, with extreme physical attributes, made him the force he was. May well have been why he rose and fell so quickly too. I'll choose to remember the good. Everyone gets to decide for themself.

Cam haters welcome. I think the brashness that people don't react well to is what, with extreme physical attributes, made him the force he was. May well have been why he rose and fell so quickly too. I'll choose to remember the good. Everyone gets to decide for themself.
There is a lot of good in Cam. I also think saying Cam has no humility is ridiculous.

There is a lot of good in Cam. I also think saying Cam has no humility is ridiculous.

I'm a Gators fan and also know a few people in the know for UF football. Nothing big but I do hear some stories. I got zero respect for anyone who pulls the race card out and there's no racism out there. Not to derail the thread here but guys like Cam doing that is why when a real racial issue happens in this country people don't believe it. He didn't do what Jesse Smollut did but its just as bad in the long run. Dude just never showed any accountability for his actions ever. If I was playing I don't care how good he was is I don't want a guy who's above the team like that especially if Im a team leader. Some of these players take this game and other sports they play for granted. It's not a right to play it's a privilege.

I was a huge fan. But he does not have the skills he used to.

I'm a Gators fan and also know a few people in the know for UF football. Nothing big but I do hear some stories. I got zero respect for anyone who pulls the race card out and there's no racism out there. Not to derail the thread here but guys like Cam doing that is why when a real racial issue happens in this country people don't believe it. He didn't do what Jesse Smollut did but its just as bad in the long run. Dude just never showed any accountability for his actions ever. If I was playing I don't care how good he was is I don't want a guy who's above the team like that especially if Im a team leader. Some of these players take this game and other sports they play for granted. It's not a right to play it's a privilege.
I remember some bad looks from him when things didn’t go his way. The body language was telling. Am I being too harsh on Newton? Maybe, but when you exhibit the selfishness Superman and me me me persona, then pout and show unprofessional behavior when you lose, then that stands out.

I remember some bad looks from him when things didn’t go his way. The body language was telling. Am I being too harsh on Newton? Maybe, but when you exhibit the selfishness Superman and me me me persona, then pout and show unprofessional behavior when you lose, then that stands out.

I forget the guy who gave the scouting report a lot of people didn't like but the one big stand out he put in there was Cam always knew where the camera's were and made sure his good side was always shown. Not the guy he is on camera as he is off it. I remember the guy getting hated for it even getting accused of being racist. When you look back he was pretty right on the money about the dude's personality. I just think some people are afraid of those accusations they won't say what they really think sometimes even when said person isn't do what they are accused of and it's straight forward. I also think this is why a lot of people get so defensive of the African American QB too. I've been accused of what this guy was on here numerious times and lot of it has come from the Cam Newton and Jamis Winston talk.

It's funny because 2 of my Favorite all time Eagles QBs are black in Cunningham and McNabb. I think they use it as a self defense mechanism and when they don't want to have a healthy debate. It's why it's so hard to debate non football fans on this QB subject when it comes to Colin Kaepernick. A lot of mis information out there on both sides who never covered it. They don't know how poorly he played, how he was as a teammate in the locker room, how ownership coddled him etc. It's why I stay out of these debates on here a lot because I find myself more so defending myself from people making accusations on me rather then have a healthy football debate because they are biased towards the player.

Nolan Nawrocki was his name. He replaced Joel Buschbaum. I believe if Buschbaum had lived another year it would have been roughly the same report.

The report was about His lack of touch, reading defenses, pocket presence, and running after the first read and downgrading Cam versus his good traits.

There is definitely a certain comportment associated with franchise QBs and in general, I think the more a player fits that mould, the more comfortable people are. It's that whole "first guy in, last guy to leave", "man of few words", "player-coach" type thing. The dabbing and general flamboyance doesn't fit the mould and that makes some people uncomfortable.

There is definitely a certain comportment associated with franchise QBs and in general, I think the more a player fits that mould, the more comfortable people are. It's that whole "first guy in, last guy to leave", "man of few words", "player-coach" type thing. The dabbing and general flamboyance doesn't fit the mould and that makes some people uncomfortable.
it was more that his QB play that was making people uncomfortable.

Free agent QB Cam Newton said he's "willing to be a backup" in 2023.​

Newton reiterated that he doesn't believe there are 32 quarterbacks in the NFL better than him, but acknowledged that his path back into the league may be as a backup. He then went on to mention a number of quarterbacks he'd be willing to back up, which included Deshaun Watson, Sam Howell, Malik Willis, Lamar Jackson, and several others. He also said he'd be fine with backing up rookies C.J. Stroud, Bryce Young, and Anthony Richardson. In the video posted to Newton's Twitter account, it's clear the veteran quarterback is hoping to squash the narrative that he's unwilling to serve as a backup. Still, he needs to find a suitor that's willing to give him a chance, which might not come until after the NFL Draft, if at all.
SOURCE: Cam Newton on Twitter
Apr 5, 2023, 7:56 PM ET

By all accounts, he was seemingly a model citizen in NE and weirdly had a good run for like 8 games. After he got covid he seemingly could no longer throw the ball with even a smidgen of accuracy, which was weird to watch and a strange bandwagon journey for me as a fan. That's coming up on 3 years ago. Good luck Cam, you got a lotta life ahead of you. Humility can be a good look, especially when (really) warranted.

Cam's larger than life and out of the box persona is a bit much to take but if you examine what he has accomplished on a philanthropic basis you'd think twice before throwing him under the bus. If anything, I feel sorry for the peacock that nobody wants anymore.

Cam's larger than life and out of the box persona is a bit much to take but if you examine what he has accomplished on a philanthropic basis you'd think twice before throwing him under the bus. If anything, I feel sorry for the peacock that nobody wants anymore.
I'd rather take the word of a great shark pool poster @DJackson10 rather than using my brain to do some research.

I'd rather take the word of a great shark pool poster @DJackson10 rather than using my brain to do some research.
Option 1: Google Cam Newton Philanthropy.
Option 2: rely on heresay.

I'm a Gators fan and also know a few people in the know for UF football. Nothing big but I do hear some stories. I got zero respect for anyone who pulls the race card out and there's no racism out there
Hey,

If Caleb Williams wears a loud hat to a press conference at some point in his career, or celebrates a TD, you think you will happen to have any friends over at USC who can tell you what a selfish, non-team player he was? Not staff, just, you know, people in the know? Hey, let me know if they call him "uppity", would you?

Same kind of friends like you have over in Philly, who've been telling you for 3 years they management doesn't trust Jalen Hurts and they are looking for replacements?

I have a friend who played at Auburn, I didn't hear too many complaints when Cam dragged a team to a national title, pretty much by himself, in his only year starting. But maybe he just wasn't "in the know".

You could have made this post without all the smarm towards another poster but you chose the low road.

You could have made this post without all the smarm towards another poster but you chose the low road.
DJax brings it on himself. Why anyone would take up for him is beyond comical. Even his fellow fans mock him for his ridiculousness.

DJax brings it on himself. Why anyone would take up for him is beyond comical. Even his fellow fans mock him for his ridiculousness.

Somebody having a different opinion is not ridiculous. Way too much of that nonsense.

I take up for people who get bullied, especially FBG friends of mine whom have been very open and transparent about their mental health condition.

As Joe says, be better.

I apologize @SeniorVBDStudent I won't blow off your examination of a subject in the future in favor of the opinion of someone else.

Somebody having a different opinion is not ridiculous. Way too much of that nonsense.

I take up for people who get bullied, especially FBG friends of mine whom have been very open and transparent about their mental health condition.

As Joe says, be better.
"The guy [Cam Newton] is an absolute punk."

It's okay to not like Cam Newton, but I think most here draw a thick line at baseless character attacks. This goes doubly when you're talking about a guy who makes a big difference in the lives of numerous children in his own community. djax's admitted mental health condition does not excuse inflammatory commentary and it's within his grasp to be way more cool.

Nine years after being arrested for stealing a laptop, Panthers star Cam Newton posted a message on Instagram with his mugshot and a message detailing his lessons learned:

Newton was charged with felony counts of burglary, larceny and obstruction of justice in 2008 while a backup quarterback at Florida. He reportedly stole a laptop from a fellow student and threw it out a window.

While the charges were eventually dropped, Newton left Florida before facing possible expulsion for academic improprieties.

He spent a year at Blinn College before transferring to Auburn, where he won a Heisman Trophy, national championship and eventually became the first overall pick in the NFL draft for the Carolina Panthers.

00:06 / 00:22
The quarterback acknowledged his redemption story in his post on Monday, noting it has shaped the way he acts.

"People wonder why I play the game the way I do, act the way I act, dress the way I dress and even live the way I live," Newton wrote. "Because in some people's eyes I'm not supposed to be here. But in my eyes, I'm not going to have any regrets with the second chance God has given me."

CHARLOTTE - Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton clearly has the support of his fans.
Newton is a first-time nominee for the prestigious Nationwide Walter Payton Man of the Year award, given annually to an NFL player for his excellence on and off the field with a significant positive impact on his community.
One pillar of the annual award process is the Charity Challenge. It allows fans to vote for their favorite players through social media, drumming up organic support for each player's name and causes. This year, Newton received more than 600,000 votes to win first place, twice as many as second-place Nick Sundberg.
As the winner of the challenge, Newton receives $25,000 for the charity of his choice.
"I appreciate the fans for showing support in helping Nationwide's Charity Challenge," Newton said in a statement. "I'm using this platform to enhance programs and grants that will greatly impact the community. To be nominated for the Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year award is something that I really appreciate - because it's bigger than football. God has blessed me and all I'm trying to do is bless others."
Newton established his own foundation, the Cam Newton Foundation, in 2012, identifying three pillars of focus: EVERY 1 PLAYS (youth activity, mentoring high school players), EVERY 1 GIVES (donations and community outreach) and EVERY 1 LEARNS (diversity and societal education). Together, they make up the foundation's guiding principle and Newton's personal belief of EVERY 1 MATTERS.
Since inception, the foundation has provided $5.13 million in grant funding, year-round programming resources and donations to schools and non-profit agencies in Atlanta and Charlotte. Over 12,500 student-athletes and coaches have participated in Newton's EVERY 1 PLAYS initiative and over 11,850 need-based youth have been provided meals and gifts through Newton's signature annual programs: "Cam's Thanksgiving Jam" and "Santa Cam's Surprise Sleigh."

The 24-year-old NFL star, coming off a big win, visited students of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg School system: Collinswood, Reid Park Academy and Berryhill School (N.C). There he not only danced and hyped the students, but he also donated $25,000 to each school, $75,000 in total.

That's not all, because the report states Newton, in two years, has donated in upwards of $225,000 to six schools.

Cam Newton's Surprise Sleigh made its annual rounds on Tuesday, donating 180 bicycles and over $100,000 in gifts and donations at five different locations across the Carolinas.

This marks the fifth consecutive year the Panther's quarterback has made donations to children and families in need throughout the Queen City through the Cam Newton Foundation.

As Joe says, be better.
Yeah, this extends far beyond having a differing opinion. DJ makes baseless claims almost daily and disappears when they don’t happen. His “sources” in the know are always wrong. No one has bullied him, and I don’t know anything about his or anti else’s mental health. I’ve never attacked him. He actually reported me and got me a timeout for nothing after his dumb claim about Lamb/Reagor the night they were drafted. Making ridiculous claims before players even play a down is asking for criticism. So keep your “be better” posts to yourself. You’re in no position to chastise me for anything. Take your own advice and mind your business when it comes to reading my posts. TIA

Users who are viewing this thread