What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Cam Newton, CAR (4 Viewers)

Here we go...

This one has multiple angles. Our Sigmund Bloom had this: "Cam Newton should be a low QB1 because of the running ability and goal-line love. Takes the edge off of what little appeal there was left in Michel. Pass attempts should top out around 500. McCaffrey's 2018 should pump a little life back into James White 2020 FF outlook. There's no one in the Greg Olsen or Kelvin Benjamin mold on the roster, but perhaps if we hear that Harry is being molded as a big slot receiver that could be interesting. At least we know Cam will throw to contested-catch receivers."

Also I can't believe the league let Belichick do this. I do not understand why one of the best quarterbacks of this era was allowed to be on the street for so long. if he's broken, so be it, the upside he adds to your offense if healthy is worth the $ to see what happens.

Also pay attention when Bill Belichick gushes about someone. From 2017:

"I think when you're talking about mobile quarterbacks -- guys that are tough to handle, can throw, run, make good decisions ... -- I would put him at the top of the list," Belichick said Wednesday. "Not saying there aren't a lot of other good players that do that, but I would say of all the guys we played recently in the last couple of years, I think he's the hardest guy to (defend). He makes good decisions, can run. He's strong. He's hard to tackle. He can do a lot of different things. He can beat you in a lot of different ways. We saw that in the game in 2013. I would put him at the top of the list. I'm not saying the other guys aren't a problem, because they are. But he's maybe public enemy No. 1."

On the other side, Clayton Gray had this: "I know we all love the player Cam Newton once was, but this contract is a bare-minimum, incentive-laden deal for a quarterback no one wanted to throw money at. Before we make N'Keal Harry a top-20 receiver, let's also accept the possibility that Newton doesn't have it anymore. Before we anoint Newton as the unquestioned starter, let's also accept the possibility that the contract is structured so that New England could cut Newton in the preseason if they are happy with Stidham."

We'll likely know more here soon. One thing's for sure: this is going to be fun.
I don't think it's 100% a given that Cam will be the starter . . . so clearly I do not see Newton as a fantasy QB1. Over the past 4 seasons, Cam ranked 12th in fantasy ppg. IMO, even if he does end up starting, I am not sure NE wants him running as much. The only thing NE has a stockpile of on offense is running backs. As others have mentioned, there's a reason why Newton was still available. He's been banged up and has not played at the same level as he did in 2015. I am still seeing / hearing a lot of local talk that there will be a QB competition and Cam is starting at a big disadvantage not knowing a think about the offense, the playbook, and gaining chemistry with the offense. I am not saying Cam won't at some point be the starter, but as of today he will have to learn on the fly and prove he is healthy.

The Patriots were the only team to offer Cam Newton a contract, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Schefter added the Browns did check in on Newton "at one point in time, but those talks never really went anywhere." The Browns elected to sign Case Keenum to a three-year deal with $18 million guaranteed on March 16, and Cam was allowed to "seek a trade" on March 17 and was ultimately released from the Panthers on March 24. It has been a quarterback offseason unlike any other, with legends like Tom Brady and Philip Rivers changing teams and once productive passers in Andy Dalton and Jameis Winston signing backup contracts. Just give us a healthy Cam Newton in 2020.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Jun 29, 2020, 1:43 PM ET

The potential issue in the Stidham-starts-for-a-few-weeks-until-Cam-gets-up-to-speed scenario as outlined in this article is what happens if Stidham does really well and the team is winning? I would think the opposite would also have to hold true . . . if they roll out Newton and he struggles, does that get Stidham a chance to start? I would think BB will want to keep one QB and not make a switch . . . it would probably be very disruptive to switch mid season.

Yeah, a difficult decision, but if the better QB is on your bench and you're, say, 4-4 with a shot to make the playoffs, you gotta give the guy who you thinks makes you better the starter.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Yahoo! Sports Read and React

By Jay Busbee

‌The Patriots signed Cam Newton Sunday night, picking up the former MVP for a one-year deal that might go down as one of the great bargains in recent NFL history. With one cheap (relatively speaking) contract, the Patriots:

‌Replaced Tom Brady with one of the few names big enough to match the departing icon.

Brought a potential jolt of energy to the Patriots offense and fanbase.

Gave one of the league’s most electrifying players reason to prove 31 other teams wrong.

And made every single one of those teams wonder, again, what Bill Belichick knows that the rest of the NFL doesn’t.

‌Cam Newton is 31 years old, but he’s an old 31. Over the course of his Panthers career, he took harder hits than the middle car in a highway pileup, in large part because he would throw his immense frame into harm’s way like no other quarterback before or since.

At his best, Newton was a true unicorn. He had an arm like Matthew Stafford, the elusiveness of Russell Wilson, the speed of Michael Vick, and the size of … well, there’s no quarterback comparison there. Rob Gronkowski, maybe, or Thor, whichever.

Injuries robbed him of his arm strength, constraining gameplans robbed him of his creativity, and a less-than-stellar receiving corps robbed him of opportunities. His numbers declined, but his passion — best expressed in his creatively fonted social media posts — never waned.

And now he gets the chance to prove the whole league wrong while playing for a guy who specializes in proving the whole league wrong.

If Newton’s got anything left of the juggernaut that torched the league in 2015, back when he went 15-1, won that MVP, and almost snared a Super Bowl, Belichick will find it and use it to keep the rest of the AFC East in check once more. (The Bills have to be banging their heads through tables right about now.)

Along with offensive coordinator Josh McDaniel, Belichick is capable of creating a scheme that maximizes Newton’s talents while hiding his inadequacies, and if Newton is anything close to healthy, you’re looking at a Patriots team that went from writeoff to divisional contender yet again. 

Belichick specializes in turning someone else’s trash into treasure; see Moss, Randy. Put it this way: would you bet against Belichick finding that extra gear in Newton that Carolina couldn’t, and 30 other teams wouldn’t?

The Patriots are still must-watch TV. This ought to be fun.

Video where they theorize offense built for Newton with lot of RPO.

https://youtu.be/CccoO6y1Zho

I wonder if this is a good thing for the draft pick Keene. Wonder if he is used as a full back, h back. I will be watching his blocking technique in preseason. I hope they give him snaps at full back.

The Athletic's Jeff Howe reports the Patriots have not guaranteed Cam Newton their starting quarterback job.

Coach Bill Belichick has never been in that business, so it's not surprising. Newton is now the monstrous favorite to start over Jarrett Stidham, though a source claims via Howe that Newton's addition has "nothing to do with Stidham’s performance." That is difficult to believe. The Pats were famously not interested in Newton earlier this offseason, but Howe reports it was all about his contract demands. Once they went down, the Pats swooped in. Newton would not be the first name-brand veteran to fail in New England, but this is an excellent upside gamble for both sides. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Jun 30, 2020, 5:33 PM ET

‌Cam Newton is 31 years old, but he’s an old 31. Over the course of his Panthers career, he took harder hits than the middle car in a highway pileup, in large part because he would throw his immense frame into harm’s way like no other quarterback before or since.

Injuries robbed him of his arm strength, constraining gameplans robbed him of his creativity, and a less-than-stellar receiving corps robbed him of opportunities. His numbers declined, but his passion — best expressed in his creatively fonted social media posts — never waned.

And now he gets the chance to prove the whole league wrong while playing for a guy who specializes in proving the whole league wrong.

i think its great that NE signed him just because it will make them more interesting to watch. 

But I think Cam is done.  His best days are behind him and i would not bet on this being that successful.  

Did Busbee write right this after getting his free Under Armour sweatshirt in the mail?

Newton held onto the ball like an uncomfortable overweight 8 year old holds onto a Philly Cheesesteak Hot Pocket.  Get rid of the ball faster and you probably won't take as many hits. Yes, he took hits as a runner, but apparently its not good for marketing to show the clips of All Pro Ryan Kalil snowplowing a path for him in the open field or consistently taking on multiple defenders by himself in sequence. Without Kalil, Newton would have been battered like David Carr. Newton was a great talent, not to take that from him, but Kalil should, by rights, own part of that MVP trophy.

If you can't read a defense without forcing it to run a full time spy on you and without needing it to break down in front of you by extending the play with your legs, odds are the team you play for has to shorten the playbook.

Let's just say it out loud, in the modern American sports age, you just can't say a black QB1 in front of you can't read a defense at NFL game speed. What's the shame in that? Like Koy Detmer could read a defense? ( Though he might know some great investment opportunities for you through his family connections)

His passion apparently never extended to repairing his baseline mechanics.

Ken Dorsey did Gods work with Newton. But he won't get credit either because it won't fit the narrative.

I don't like many things about Rivera, but the NFL is not complicated. Football is not that complicated. If you aren't given more to do on the field, it's probably because YOU'VE PROVEN OVER AND OVER AGAIN THAT YOU CAN'T CONSISTENTLY DO IT.

It's not a crime. Nearly all QBs who enter the NFL can't do it. It's not the same issue as common sense or life smarts or book smarts ( Though how much credit do you want to give to a guy where his idea of being a mastermind criminal is tossing a laptop out of a dorm window? Even Avon Barksdale could train one of his minions to shout out, "These are my hand grenades on the table!")

Newton is 31. He's not entering his QB prime. That's for guys showing a linear track record of development, progress and results. He's Bruce Willis pre Pulp Fiction. Not all that great in the fundamentals of his trade but needs a bit of a lucky break to go his way. A situation that will play to his established strengths.

Cam Newton is available for a reason. The same reason why a bored 8 year old gets fat from his love affair with Hot Pockets.
I'm not sure what you're ranting on here; if your comment is "he can't read a defense" neither can Jared Goff and he's getting paid how much again? Like Goff, Newton will rely on his coaching staff to craft a working offensive gameplan that works for the team. Newton's big issue has been injuries and hits taken; he's had a full offseason to rehab and it seems from the workouts he's back to "full health".

Look, I understand that Cam isn't remotely the talent he was as a rookie; way too many hits and surgeries wear on you. But to say he's done when the last season he had he was severely compromised and he now has had enough time to recover and rehab is ... odd. Let him get on the field before you make that determination.

I'm not sure what you're ranting on here; if your comment is "he can't read a defense" neither can Jared Goff and he's getting paid how much again? Like Goff, Newton will rely on his coaching staff to craft a working offensive gameplan that works for the team. Newton's big issue has been injuries and hits taken; he's had a full offseason to rehab and it seems from the workouts he's back to "full health".

Look, I understand that Cam isn't remotely the talent he was as a rookie; way too many hits and surgeries wear on you. But to say he's done when the last season he had he was severely compromised and he now has had enough time to recover and rehab is ... odd. Let him get on the field before you make that determination.
It isn’t odd... it’s just whistling by the graveyard. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Cam Newton's contract includes $550,000 guaranteed.

The details include a $1.05 million base salary with $700,000 in per-game roster bonuses that could cap at $7.5 million. It's truly a bare-minimum 'prove it' deal for Newton as the Patriots were the only team in on the veteran while he was unable to receive either a workout or physical. Coach Bill Belichick reportedly hasn't guaranteed the 31-year-old a starting gig but we would expect the veteran to get the nod over Jarrett Stidham in the team's season opener. It's a low-risk gamble with Championship implications that benefits both sides this year.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jul 2, 2020, 10:02 AM ET

It's like some of you homers think any criticism on how the Patriots operate can only be some form of jealousy.
Not everyone who is supporting this is a Pats homer. Frankman is a Giants fan. Most people supporting this move hate the Patriots and think this move only makes them more interesting than a slightly depressing, defense-first and run the ball with Sony Michel and the rest of the RBBC type of squad. People have been tired of the Patriots dump n' gun for years, nice to have some new blood instead of James White out of the backfield for another seven while confused DCs mail the game in. 

This season is gone.

What does that mean for Cam Newton? He'll be AT MINIMUM two years removed from regular playing time in the NFL. And that's if he's the starter and can hold the starting job and not get injured again, which is no guarantee.

A guy coming off major injury, whose play style invites further injury, on a team without the weapons to shade against the play style that invites said injury risk while being two years removed from regular playing time in the league.

Why would anyone have concern considering that?

It's like some of you homers think any criticism on how the Patriots operate can only be some form of jealousy.
No concern given he’s making veteran minimum.

On the jealousy thing, you said it. 

There really aren't many Pats fans around here that I've seen.  Im certainly not one and I've been as vocal on Cam as anybody.

Betting against Belichick is a great idea.  He and McDaniels are probably way too dumb to use him right.  Those two have absolutely no idea what they are doing, as they've shown for the past two decades. 

Add to it that Cam is on a one year deal and wouldn't be nearly as effective if he didn't run a lot....  And that the Patriots have wanted to add a running QB dimension to the offense.... 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Patriots are "confident" in Cam Newton's physical condition. 

Newton is currently in town to take his physical. Rapsheet claims "no issues at all are anticipated." Newton's foot is what cost him 2019, but we would assume his troublesome shoulder is the bigger physical concern. Those twin ailments are the reason Newton lingered on the market until late June, though the COVID-19 pandemic undoubtedly dragged the situation out longer.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Jul 4, 2020, 2:30 PM ET

Real football I see this working.

FF this offense becomes an avoid.
Except for maybe Cam (for FF).  I see a potential for top 5-ish FF QB but I also see a path where he isn't rosterable.  The good part is that you should know immediately so can cut bait if it's the latter.  He is a great late round QB choice for that reason.  However, it will be interesting to see how "late" he will go.

Sometimes it helps to separate the player from the person

Has to be one of the hardest things in the world to have all your flaws and failures public to the world. Being dissected and a shift towards seeing players as merely a form or asset or liability. Can't see Angry Bill being too happy about this - emotion of any kind from his players

Seeing the player, Newton has a lot to work on

Seeing the person, I just see a human being in deep pain.
In one of these threads there is video of "angry Bill" telling his players to show some emotion when a teammate makes a play.
I think B Belichick is going to let Cam be Cam.

I have complete confidence that BB will find a way to maximize Cam's current skillset. He'll certainly be higher than Brady on my draft board.

On the other hand, I don't expect Cam to be healthy for the full season.

The Pats are masters of the reclamation project......but that was always with Brady as the constant......Cam is better physically than Tom, currently, but mentally, not so much.   I'm just not a big fan........on the other hand, if BB can find the promised land with Cam, it would kind of prove he comes before Brady......hmmm

Ranking Patriots’ QB Depth in the NFL

Excerpt:

Will Newton Win the Job?

You’d be hard-pressed to find someone who doesn’t expect for Newton to win the starting job. Stidham is going to come into whatever is salvaged of a training camp ready to compete, but it would appear the odds are against him based on his lack of overall experience.

Longtime NFL Analyst Greg Cosell all but guaranteed Newton would be the starting quarterback on a recent episode of The Ross Tucker Podcast:

https://twitter.com/rosstuckerpod/status/1279166280923262976?s=21

Barring an injury to Newton or a complete flop by the former NFL MVP (which feels highly unlikely) Stidham’s time will come in 2021. Still, any time he gets to sit and watch Newton will only make him all the more prepared if he is pressed into action. Hoyer is an ever-ready option who isn’t a top-notch starter, but you know what you get if he’s under center. He won’t turn the ball over, and he’ll give your team a chance to win every Sunday.

The Boston Globe's Chad Finn speculates Cam Newton will play 11 games for the Patriots this season.

"I’m leaving wiggle room for him to miss a game with injury, or for a scenario in which the Patriots have their playoff positioning clinched and Jarett Stidham gets a start," Finn writes. Newton can earn a $3.75 million bonus if he’s on the field for 90 percent or more of the snaps and the team qualifies for the playoffs, as reported by ESPN's Field Yates on Thursday. Both are bound to happen as long as Newton is healthy — the looming question on everyone's mind at the moment. The 31-year-old recently passed his physical with the team, suggesting he's cleared for takeoff from the season opener, and should be the Patriots' starting quarterback as long as he's in good condition.

SOURCE: Chad Finn on Twitter

Jul 10, 2020, 9:18 AM ET

I think people are getting a little nuts about Newton and how good he is.  I watch 99% of his games and yes he is really talented in some regards and is incredibly exciting to watch but 2 things are at play here.  He is not an accurate passer and his ability to run is what made him effective.  I doubt he reverts back to that style completely as his body has just taken too much punishment.  Also he only has 3 winning seasons in his career.  Think about that, just 3 winning seasons.  What type of respect should he be getting according to the article?  What other qb's in the league that are that supposedly talented with such few marquee seasons?

Users who are viewing this thread