What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (5 Viewers)

Go ahead and ignore these indicators - usually, by the time you see something, it's too late - I'm paying close attention to this stuff for preservation... It isn't at a tipping point yet, but once you see the 10 year around 4-4.25% and 30 year mortgage rates over 5.5%, I think we'll be just about there and the party will be coming to a close. 
I appreciate your input and thoughts.  Could you expand on the bolded?  Do you have real estate you're thinking about unloading?

People attempt to pack a week's worth of clothes into a carry on and then huddle around a gate for an hour before flights board instead of sitting comfortably, all to avoid paying a $25 checked bag fee that they still aren't used to paying from like a decade ago. Think it's a bit crazy to still attempt to portray current/rising mortgage rates in comparison to how high they went in the 70s and 80s.
I'm not trying to compare this rate increase to what happened in the 80s, for numerous reasons, but I also see the current buyers out there coming in with more cash, and with an influx of international money.  While rising interest rates may phase out the average American Joe, it would seem that housing prices will only significantly decline if the cash/international buyer no longer considers it a good investment.

I appreciate your input and thoughts.  Could you expand on the bolded?  Do you have real estate you're thinking about unloading?

I'm not trying to compare this rate increase to what happened in the 80s, for numerous reasons, but I also see the current buyers out there coming in with more cash, and with an influx of international money.  While rising interest rates may phase out the average American Joe, it would seem that housing prices will only significantly decline if the cash/international buyer no longer considers it a good investment.
If you go back a few pages, I was just throwing out one theory that could derail the stock market, and that was housing - I prefaced with "this might sound stupid," but if it didn't sound stupid, everyone would know it is coming. I'm yet to hear anyone else throw anything out there and I've asked multiple times. 

Months ago, the market couldn't be stopped, everything was perfect - now we're paying close attention to rates and inflation, things change quickly. I stated in that post, the economy hums along on the middle class, when the middle class gets priced out of housing, we run into trouble. You can research almost any metric, housing affordability is currently stretched, every 25 basis points stretches it that much further, 300 basis points and the market goes upside down. Now, I mentioned it isn't upside down like 2008 when you had a waitress with 14 mortgages and an income of $37,000, but nonetheless, your buyers get priced out, prices need to fall to allow them back in. 

Use a mortgage calculator and look at what happens to housing costs for every 25 basis points - 25 basis points in itself isn't huge cause for concern, but rapid acceleration and 150 points in a year most certainly starts to become one. 

IMO, in new construction, we're starting to see the impacts of higher costs coupled with rising rates, only a matter of time until that spills over into existing houses. Everyone would like a new house, not everyone can afford one, hence the drop YoY drop of almost 8% in new homes sold Jan compared to Jan. If it was as simple as investors having cash to buy them, this wouldn't be occurring. We're late cycle, we've got rising rates - rates fall, prices go up (rates, affordability, price all go hand in hand)... What you need to start considering is what happens in the inverse of that? Historically, the Fed needs 500 basis points to combat a recession, right now they've got about 150 and we're late in the cycle - they need to move, they're aware. If you read between the lines of Powell's testimony today, he knows this - hence my comments earlier about the game of chicken. 

Even if we were to get 25 points a quarter (and that is aggressive on anyone's scale), that brings us to 350 points in 2 years (still 150 short of the amount that is historically needed to combat a recession). While a recession sounds improbable now, it is on the horizon - the economy is going to overheat... Years of ZIRP accompanied by endless QE being unwound, it is basically unavoidable. Some smart economists and fund managers are saying there are warning signs starting to show. Personally, I think you've got to be a fool to miss the inflation starting to tick up. 

My comments about preservation are simply trying to get off the greedy path, and onto the smart path, that way when a recession hits (and it will at some point by 2020), we're well-prepared to come out stronger in the aftermath. 

My strategy is keeping the path right now, and slowly beginning to hedge with gold. Gold isn't the smart move during rising rates, but when we hit the tipping point and rates stop rising, we'll be at a recession, and you'll want to own gold then as rates will have nowhere to go but down. 

fantasycurse42 said:
Everyone would like a new house, not everyone can afford one, hence the drop YoY drop of almost 8% in new homes sold Jan compared to Jan.
Not a comment on your thinking, just this sentence here is just such a foreign concept where I live.  I can't think of one person I know (and my kid goes to a school in one of the most expensive zip codes in the country) that bought a new house because there isn't any place to build them - the exception being the occasional $850K-$1M tear down.  I see people here talking about rents and housing costs from elsewhere, and it's like I live in a different country.  My rent just went up to $3300, and I still have one of the best deals in my entire town, and I live in the most affordable town in my county.   

Daughter graduates high school in 3+ years....as much as I love living here I'm looking forward, financially, to getting out.  Otherwise there's no way I'm ever retiring.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw this morning that new housing sales were down 7% when they were expected to be up 4%.  Apparently, this inflation that we are certainly not experiencing, is pricing people out because of costs of materials.
Means rents and existing home sales will go up in price I suppose.

Just sold have of my PEATF, leaving me 5000 free shares plus 800 bucks or whatever in profit. Locking in profits and still get to satisfy FOMO.
I have notified the SEC about this brazen pump and dump scheme.  

I expect they'll be showing up soon to confiscate your ill gotten gains - car, boat, wife...

-----

On my end, in my yearly move to move money for my kid to a roth, I managed to sell DIS and some other items this morning before the slide.  I think I saved the kid a couple hundred.  Turns out about 50% of the time I have mad trading skillz.

-----

fantasycurse42 said:
Was reading about that too. They're just embedding themselves into your home... First Alexa, now Ring.
I don't see the value in allowing these companies free reign to record everything in my home.  I guess I'm the only one.  (I also hate talking to machines - so get off my lawn.)

I saw this morning that new housing sales were down 7% when they were expected to be up 4%.  Apparently, this inflation that we are certainly not experiencing, is pricing people out because of costs of materials.
I'd peg it more toward the assertion that the housing market is so tight right now there just isn't enough houses to sell.  

General Malaise said:
BKDCF has been an absolute disaster.  Management over-promised and under-delivered.  I'm holding now because it's a nice tax asset for me, but I have lost all hope of this thing meeting deliverables.  Still think they have a wonderful technology and if you play fantasy baseball, you can do much worse than using their Breaking Data app to mine for the latest news, especially with regards to finding coveted closers.  Sorry I ever recommended this one.  :bag:

Peat Resources was a dead in the water shell company that will be essentially a reverse takeover by new management that did rounds of financing to raise capital to buy a property in the DRC that not only has cobalt/copper in the ground, but a giant pile of 'concessions' which is essential cast off rock from cooper mining over several years.  This rock has cobalt contained, but when prices were low, it wasn't worth processing.  Now it is and this new company (still called Peat, but will soon be changed to either Cobalt Blockchain or CoChain) will begin processing these concessions and estimates are they inherited potentially several thousand metric tonnes of cobalt  through this purchase.  Management also expects to use blockchain technology to prove that their cobalt material is brought to market conflict free, meaning not mined by child or slave labor.  But, we are way early in this movie, so a lot of things have to break right and management needs to demonstrate an ability to hit their marks, market effectively and not fall into the trap of so many other Canadian resource stocks where they drill holes, get results and do another equity raise, thus diluting share value.  They also need to manage their cash burn assiduously.  This is a long shot lottery ticket and I'd call it a gamble.  Since it's tripled over the last couple of weeks or so, I'd say watching it is more prudent than buying here, but YMMV.

KBLT is the closest thing we have to a pure play cobalt ETF.  KBLT owns over 2,900 metric tonnes of battery grade physical cobalt, already processed.   There is nothing else out there available that compares to KBLT.  Owning KBLT stock means you own physical, battery grade cobalt, much like you would if you bought GLD for gold or SLV for silver.  However, unlike those two, KBLT has cash and with that cash is looking to acquire royalty streams of cobalt from miners who need an infusion of cash, thus there is a component of KBLT that will be an operating company throwing off cash.  There is a chance that with these streams the company could pay shareholders a dividend, which would make it more attractive.  However, I would caution that currently, KBLT trades at a 25-30% premium to NAV, so keep that in mind.  
I'd still buy it if I could. Stupid free trading. :kicksrock:

I'd peg it more toward the assertion that the housing market is so tight right now there just isn't enough houses to sell.  
What? Not here. Building too many damn new homes & they all cost more than anyone considered middle class can afford. No wonder everyone is poor.

What? Not here. Building too many damn new homes & they all cost more than anyone considered middle class can afford. No wonder everyone is poor.
Just shows how different markets can be around the country.  News story on this morning here about the median price in Mountain View up 52% year over year to $2.4M.   I didn't check the numbers, but they indicated with insurance and taxes that's around $12K a month for housing.  Just very few new homes being built, inventory historically low, and demand still high.  

Just shows how different markets can be around the country.  News story on this morning here about the median price in Mountain View up 52% year over year to $2.4M.   I didn't check the numbers, but they indicated with insurance and taxes that's around $12K a month for housing.  Just very few new homes being built, inventory historically low, and demand still high.  
There are some million dollar homes in my town, but your standard new homes being built in my area seem to start around $350k. I'm in Chester County, PA.

There are some million dollar homes in my town, but your standard new homes being built in my area seem to start around $350k. I'm in Chester County, PA.
Average square footage of these starter houses?

I like your area of the world, BTW - went to an Amish dinner before Christmas.  Not sure I'd like the traffic commuting into the city, though.

Seems like the attitude right now is, "If you're a retailer not named Amazon, you're ####ed."

Pretty much sum it up?

I look at something like KSS, and I'm a little shuked.  6% div, beating estimates regularly, reasonable P/E, div is sustainable.  And priced where they were during the '09 recovery. 
This has worked out remarkably well, ftr.

Up about 15% from here.  Does a bad quarter from AMZN change the outlook for other retailers?  I assume not.  They're still the big bad wolf coming to destroy everyone. 

Nice little supplement/hedge selling Jan 19 $47.50 calls.  Willing to collect 6% for a while and spectate.  Place always seems crazy busy.  They're carrying UA stuff now, too, which seems like a win for them.  Not so much for UA.
This, um, not so much.

Last month there were only 800 houses for sale in Los Angeles's San Fernando Valley, an area with 2 million people. 800 homes. Usually that number is closer to ten thousand. :loco:
Something will eventually give. I think new construction is a decent leading indicator here, being that it is the most desirable. 

If these new construction numbers continue to disappoint, I think we'll officially have a warning to pay attention to. Two bad months in a row (December/Jan) can be an outlier, but this is now on the radar.

@Capella @Sputnikv8 These things are all intertwined. I think most posters who have been in this thread historically for many years aren't looking for immediate gratification (I mean of course we are, but I think the majority of us are more investor and less speculator at this point in our lives... While I obviously still like to speculate on things, thought provoking conversation is pretty important when it comes to portfolios). You need to view the macro along with the micro. If other things start to falter, regardless of how strong a certain company is, they'll take the trip down with the ship. AMZN went from $1,498 to $1,265 in about 7 or 8 trading sessions, NFLX went from $285 to $245 in the same time... When a real problem hits (and at this point in the cycle, you need to be aware of everything lurking; rates, housing, inflation, etc. etc.), it'll be a lot uglier than that, and it won't be bouncing back a few weeks later. 

The whole point is trying to spur conversation on topics that could lead to a bear market, which will eventually come - and after such a powerful bull market, you'd think when it ends, it will be very unpleasant. If you're as best prepared as possible, you'll come out 2x stronger, otherwise, you'll come out just like everyone else. When this market does turn, it'll be a very strong opportunity for those who were prepared.

Something will eventually give. I think new construction is a decent leading indicator here, being that it is the most desirable. 

If these new construction numbers continue to disappoint, I think we'll officially have a warning to pay attention to. Two bad months in a row (December/Jan) can be an outlier, but this is now on the radar.

@Capella @Sputnikv8 These things are all intertwined. I think most posters who have been in this thread historically for many years aren't looking for immediate gratification (I mean of course we are, but I think the majority of us are more investor and less speculator at this point in our lives... While I obviously still like to speculate on things, thought provoking conversation is pretty important when it comes to portfolios). You need to view the macro along with the micro. If other things start to falter, regardless of how strong a certain company is, they'll take the trip down with the ship. AMZN went from $1,498 to $1,265 in about 7 or 8 trading sessions, NFLX went from $285 to $245 in the same time... When a real problem hits (and at this point in the cycle, you need to be aware of everything lurking; rates, housing, inflation, etc. etc.), it'll be a lot uglier than that, and it won't be bouncing back a few weeks later. 

The whole point is trying to spur conversation on topics that could lead to a bear market, which will eventually come - and after such a powerful bull market, you'd think when it ends, it will be very unpleasant. If you're as best prepared as possible, you'll come out 2x stronger, otherwise, you'll come out just like everyone else. When this market does turn, it'll be a very strong opportunity for those who were prepared.
I just want to talk about how amazing Amazon is tbh 

Average square footage of these starter houses?

I like your area of the world, BTW - went to an Amish dinner before Christmas.  Not sure I'd like the traffic commuting into the city, though.
I used to commute into the Navy Yard. F 76. Never again.

I believe around 2,500 or so

"amid a critically low supply of homes for sale."

Somebody explain to me how lack of existing home sales is a problem if nobody is selling. 
They aren't going to put it together for us, that's our job... Furthermore, I've never heard anyone in the real estate industry ever say that "now" wasn't the best time to buy.

"The economy is in great shape, most local job markets are very strong and incomes are slowly rising, but there's little doubt last month's retreat in contract signings occurred because of woefully low supply levels and the sudden increase in mortgage rates," said Lawrence Yun, chief economist for the Realtors. "The lower end of the market continues to feel the brunt of these supply and affordability impediments."
Everyone keeps harping on supply and then there is typically a footnote about rates and affordability. The sudden increase was about 25 basis points - if you're going to tell me that 25 basis points caused a woeful month, I'm going out on a limb and saying the housing market isn't as healthy as it appears.

Then there was this:

The housing market clearly needs more new construction
We have a healthy amount of new construction activity, builders are out in full force, but closings have been terrible in back to back months - if we get another terrible month on new construction in Feb, I'm going to continue my shift in thinking. Closings have been terrible amongst the most desirable properties bc people can't afford them, if the trend continues down here at 4.25%, I expect it to spill over as rates rise. 

I'm well aware of the supply crunch, and that is certainly part of the issue, but rising rates and affordability are another that is quietly being swept under the rug. 

Who here didn't think the housing market in 2006 was super healthy? Hey look, my house is worth double!!! I'm far from a 2008 like housing collapse mindset, but I'm starting to see some cracks in the foundation is the point I'm trying to make. 

On a longer-term perspective, I think there is still a bit of time left in this particular bull market run.  Though volatility might increase over the coming months...I don't think it is quite time to pull the cord on an investment portfolio.

Here's a long term chart.

https://twitter.com/steelhedge/status/968894044163067909
FWIW, I agree it isn't time to pull the cord, but I am starting to slightly shift my mindset as the cycle continues to mature. 

They aren't going to put it together for us, that's our job... Furthermore, I've never heard anyone in the real estate industry ever say that "now" wasn't the best time to buy.

Everyone keeps harping on supply and then there is typically a footnote about rates and affordability. The sudden increase was about 25 basis points - if you're going to tell me that 25 basis points caused a woeful month, I'm going out on a limb and saying the housing market isn't as healthy as it appears.

Then there was this:

We have a healthy amount of new construction activity, builders are out in full force, but closings have been terrible in back to back months - if we get another terrible month on new construction in Feb, I'm going to continue my shift in thinking. Closings have been terrible amongst the most desirable properties bc people can't afford them, if the trend continues down here at 4.25%, I expect it to spill over as rates rise. 

I'm well aware of the supply crunch, and that is certainly part of the issue, but rising rates and affordability are another that is quietly being swept under the rug. 

Who here didn't think the housing market in 2006 was super healthy? Hey look, my house is worth double!!! I'm far from a 2008 like housing collapse mindset, but I'm starting to see some cracks in the foundation is the point I'm trying to make. 
Great.

Except absolutely none of that answered the question I asked about existing home sales.

FWIW, I agree it isn't time to pull the cord, but I am starting to slightly shift my mindset as the cycle continues to mature. 
I agree that these things are intertwined, but I'm not sure what you can really take away from it. If/when we get another sell off, how will you know if it's just another BTD opportunity, or the start of "a real problem"? Looking at indicators like home sales is fine, but most of those are monthly reports- as you know, the market just had a correction and rebounded more than half the way back during the short time in between reports. It's insane how quickly the market can move, and there's really no way of knowing if a move is a blip or the start of a much larger trend until after the fact.

Again, I don't disagree with many of your points, I think there are certainly reasons for caution, but if you think we're near the end of the bull and the following bear will be devastating, why wouldn't you just get out now?

There is no inventory of existing homes.

Which means people aren't putting existing homes on the market.

Which might mean they can't afford a home across town, so they're simply staying put.  But at some point that's going to show up as increased inventory because there are people who will have to move. 

But without inventory, of course sales are declining.  That's a U-turn in housing recovery? (Ignoring that the term recovery is an absolute joke in most areas at this point)

Lack of supply IF there's sustained demand is going to drive prices higher.  But again, if there's not sustained demand, then that should materialize in inventory spikes.  So maybe it's some sort of leading indicator?  Is there history that indicates that's the case?  It's the receding water ahead of a tsunami?  I'm just trying to understand why that alone should sound an alarm to people. 

Great.

Except absolutely none of that answered the question I asked about existing home sales.
We'll agree to disagree.

I agree that these things are intertwined, but I'm not sure what you can really take away from it. If/when we get another sell off, how will you know if it's just another BTD opportunity, or the start of "a real problem"? Looking at indicators like home sales is fine, but most of those are monthly reports- as you know, the market just had a correction and rebounded more than half the way back during the short time in between reports. It's insane how quickly the market can move, and there's really no way of knowing if a move is a blip or the start of a much larger trend until after the fact.

Again, I don't disagree with many of your points, I think there are certainly reasons for caution, but if you think we're near the end of the bull and the following bear will be devastating, why wouldn't you just get out now?
I don't see enough evidence that the bull is concluding, just maturing, I'm starting to see cracks in it. The end of a bull market usually finishes with a wild melt-up that concludes with massive gains. I'm not tying to capture all of them, but I want some. 

My opinion is simply that it is time to turn the autopilot switch off and start paying MUCH closer attention. Inflation, housing, debt, rates are the key things I'm watching. 

A guess that you're incapable of explaining isn't foresight.
Movers spend about 4x the typical consumer on goods/services during the process, about 17-18% of the population moves annually. I can't cite my sources bc they're confidential, but I've got a healthy amount of data that supports that. Furthermore, as prices increase, more consumers take out HELOCs to pump into the economy as well. 

When prices reverse (for whatever reason they may), it is all intertwined. 

I've spoken my thoughts here, clearly they aren't appreciated, I'll keep my housing opinions to myself moving forward. 

Users who are viewing this thread