Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Kind of wished I hadn't listened to all the experts about having all your eggs in one basket now. When I had all my money in Publix stock it weathered the fluctuations in the market  better becuase it was evaluated and a price set once every 3 months because it was  not traded publicly. If everything was still in Publix my retirement funds wouldn't be worth 30% less now.

Posted (edited)

Also, the nanosecond the ceiling gets raised or eliminated, Treasury should put out a press release announcing the issuance of 100-year T-bonds to finance all this stuff. If you're gonna kick the can down the road anyway, you might as well do it Justin Tucker-style.

Edited by Mr. Irrelevant
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ghostguy123 said:

Seems like all the people who are taught to just keep investing and stay the course are the ones getting left behind.

IDK there is a lot of research that indicates this won't be true if the horizon is long enough. Not many people can consistently time the market. For example my brother got out in February but also was out for quite awhile after the election.

That said, though I just keep things smooth and steady with the vast majority of my portfolio, I do dabble in a "fun account". Buying puts recently has been $$. 

Also, for those willing to go a bit outside the norm - things are shaping up really well for Tankers - I've got a fairly major position going. Light reading here for those interested: https://adventuresincapitalism.com/2020/03/19/crude-contango/

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, lod001 said:

He bought 2.5 billion in equities today.

Bingo

My opinion is this is a great time to get in which is why it was my first day getting back in for several months with a sizable JPM stake.

A) deathrate under control in places like italy

B) Republicans getting restless about economy

C) stock recovery always comes prior to best news

D) stimulus coming (if the Democrats can pull their heads out of their collective ###)

Edited by TripItUp
  • Thanks 1

We nibbled on T today.

It’s freaking stupid at this point. The stock is trading at levels like everyone will stop paying their cell phone bills. Cell phones are essential. They will pay that before their mortgage. 

T is a strong buy here.

Anyway....like we have been discussing. I think we will get one final flush out and I expect to see it here this week or next. 

Everyone will be going back to work within 2 weeks. It is going to happen. You can’t keep the economy shutdown much longer. 

Good luck everyone. Stay safe. Stay healthy. We will all prosper again. 

I will post here when I finally deploy all my cash on hand. And I will post the master stock list once again for your viewing pleasure. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, lod001 said:

No man. 1T and make 5 of them, put them in a display case. Big coins and it becomes a tourist attraction. "In 2020, the coronavirus was conquered using these 5 coins." 

Trump 100% gonna stand there with them and his big smile and take pictures with them. Probably will make the coins 5 feet tall. “The best coins, beautiful, everybody says that”

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

38 minutes ago, Sputnikv8 said:

With Boeing showing a 9% climb today, is that train leaving the station?  I fully intended to dip my toes into it today, but, don't want to step in right before it's about to come back down.  I'd expect the 2 week shutdown to cause it to slip down over that time.

If you are buying Boeing—you are buying it for the long to very long term.   If that long to super long term investment is in line with what your plan is—I honestly don’t think it makes that much of a difference.  You’re basically banking on this thing going back to $300 plus in a few years—so whether you buy in at $90 or $100–it’s not that big a deal. If you are looking to buy and flip it in the short to medium term—you might be better off waiting for it to dip back down. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

Bingo

My opinion is this is a great time to get in which is why it was my first day getting back in for several months with a sizable JPM stake.

A) deathrate under control in places like italy

B) Republicans getting restless about economy

C) stock recovery always comes prior to best news

D) stimulus coming (if the Democrats can pull their heads out of their collective ###)

I mean, there's no more room up Trump's ###. Where do you expect them to be?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Todem said:

We nibbled on T today.

It’s freaking stupid at this point. The stock is trading at levels like everyone will stop paying their cell phone bills. Cell phones are essential. They will pay that before their mortgage. 

T is a strong buy here.

Anyway....like we have been discussing. I think we will get one final flush out and I expect to see it here this week or next. 

Everyone will be going back to work within 2 weeks. It is going to happen. You can’t keep the economy shutdown much longer. 

I will post here when I finally deploy all my cash on hand. And I will post the master stock list once again for your viewing pleasure. 

I hope you're right but the economy isn't even shut down yet. I feel like this is going to get so much worse before things turn around...

1 hour ago, pecorino said:

How is it that the Dow is down almost 4% and yet TVIX is down 25% on the same day? Strange times.

no kidding. Huge losses here (house money) since Friday with no explanation. Its down from over 600 Friday afternoon to under 400 now. wtftvix? On the good side (for me) I locked in profits all the way up an have only about 20 shares left.

1 hour ago, lod001 said:

Because TVIX is done

What do you mean?

LOL at the title of this article A Bounce Could Happen At Any Time, but Here’s How Investors Will Know the Market Is About to Bottom, Goldman Says.

3 minutes ago, cosjobs said:

What do you mean?

The money was made already. It will slowly bleed off as things get better. If you are buying that now you are asking for trouble. It may bounce but good luck timing that. If you bought at 400+, it would be wise to get the heck out of it.

Kicking myself because I was always planning to jump into that on the next economic crisis and I forgot about the damn thing. it's only good for stuff like this.

Made my first deposit to Ameritrade $100. Small deposit but I’m new and wat to figure things out first   Got an email from them today for a deposit bonus

Earn
$600
with a balance of $250,000 or more

🤣🤣🤣

33 minutes ago, CR69 said:

I hope you're right but the economy isn't even shut down yet. I feel like this is going to get so much worse before things turn around...

Yes it is. But the market is pricing it all in as we speak. 

I am not buying T for today, tomorrow or even next year. I am buying it for the next 5, 10, 15 years. 

These prices are bargain basement on a telecom like this. Same for VZ. 

I don’t think we have hit bottom.....but again no one rings the bell when we are at the top or bottom. You just gotta understand your time horizon and your risk tolerance and proceed based on that. 

Again we nibbled. We nibbled on 3/16 when we dropped 3K points and we nibbled today when we were down almost 900 points. And we only nibbled at T because it is seriously on sale. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, cosjobs said:

I bought it at $80 and have sold most of it. I think I've made about 75-90K off it.

But your " It will slowly bleed off as things get better" quote makes no sense. Friday and today were the opposite of things getting better. I expected it to lose value rapidly in an imprving market, but that is not the case here. 

Vix was down again today. The actual Vix. It hit a high of 85ish. It has been dropping everyday since. These contracts roll over and compound daily. TVIX trade is over. Glad you made out well. Excellent trade. Meantime the inverse of the Vix I posted a while back was up 17-18% today. 

At some point Vix will tank. And tank hard. It is starting. But we are weeks away from a true trend of a full on Vix tank. 

Edited by Todem
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, cosjobs said:

I bought it at $80 and have sold most of it. I think I've made about 75-90K off it.

But your " It will slowly bleed off as things get better" quote makes no sense. Friday and today were the opposite of things getting better. I expected it to lose value rapidly in an imprving market, but that is not the case here. 

Oh.....sell all of it man. It is starting the slow decay. 

Edited by Todem
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, cosjobs said:

Oh it will. My guess is people are getting out before any good news is announced. Trust me, it's done.

Posted (edited)

Story that POTUS might mention CYDY and Leronlimab.

ETA: it's a paid article by CYDY so take it with a grain of salt.

This report is not without bias. EmergingGrowth.com has motivation by means of either self-marketing or EmergingGrowth.com has been compensated by or for a company or companies discussed in this article. EmergingGrowth.com has been compensated seven thousand five hundred dollars in consideration for its work with CytoDyn, Inc. through the date this was published.

Edited by chet
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Todem said:

Oh.....sell all of it man. It is starting the slow decay. 

Ok, sold all but 11 shares. Also sold my UVXY. For now, I'm keeping LABD.

23 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Oh it will. My guess is people are getting out before any good news is announced. Trust me, it's done.

Yeah, that's what I was wondering, kind of the old sell on the rumor adage?

15 minutes ago, chet said:

I cannot buy it afterhours

Just now, cosjobs said:

I cannot buy it afterhours

It's a paid article (by CYDY) so while I believe the science, I have my doubts that POTUS is going to mention them.  I should have mentioned that in my post.

10 minutes ago, chet said:

It's a paid article (by CYDY) so while I believe the science, I have my doubts that POTUS is going to mention them.  I should have mentioned that in my post.

He would if they paid him. Or one of his kids to keep it discrete.

55 minutes ago, Todem said:

Vix was down again today. The actual Vix. It hit a high of 85ish. It has been dropping everyday since. These contracts roll over and compound daily. TVIX trade is over. Glad you made out well. Excellent trade. Meantime the inverse of the Vix I posted a while back was up 17-18% today. 

At some point Vix will tank. And tank hard. It is starting. But we are weeks away from a true trend of a full on Vix tank. 

What was that inverse? I wouldn’t mind making a small bet there. I missed TVIX too. Let’s just say I had a lot less invested in the Financial Crisis so I didn’t realize how crazy TVIX was then or I would have made a bet to help cushion the downturn. We talk about it in here all the freaking time.

1 hour ago, Todem said:

I am not buying T for today, tomorrow or even next year. I am buying it for the next 5, 10, 15 years. 

I don’t think we have hit bottom.....but again no one rings the bell when we are at the top or bottom. You just gotta understand your time horizon and your risk tolerance and proceed based on that. 

Again we nibbled. We nibbled on 3/16 when we dropped 3K points and we nibbled today when we were down almost 900 points. And we only nibbled at T because it is seriously on sale. 

I just don't think there's any way that a potential 30% unemployment rate is priced in right now. I'm also a long term investor but feel we're nowhere near the bottom. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, CR69 said:

I just don't think there's any way that a potential 30% unemployment rate is priced in right now. I'm also a long term investor but feel we're nowhere near the bottom. 

PE ratio on the S&P 500 went from 20.7 in January down to 13.7.  That is a drastic drop.

7 minutes ago, Sneegor said:

PE ratio on the S&P 500 went from 20.7 in January down to 13.7.  That is a drastic drop.

Except it’s hard to say that because you don’t know the E part yet, just the P.

51 minutes ago, chet said:

ETA: it's a paid article by CYDY so take it with a grain of salt.

I’ll settle for a tweet

15 minutes ago, CR69 said:

The massive short term impacts have not been completely priced in.  The coming economic depression has not been priced in either.  There is no way our economy is not going to have a huge recession with all of the Coronavirus reverberations.  Our current 30% downturn is mostly just a correction that we were already due from having an historical 11 year run.  Once the full impact of Coronavirus takes hold, it's more likely than not that markets will end up having a 50% downturn.

• Like 1

Quick question for people smarter than me:

Most of the trading volume these days is due to algos / programatic / momentum trading, right?

• Like 1

Still sitting and waiting.  Although the more negative sentiment gets, the more it makes me want to go contrarian.

22 minutes ago, eaganwildcats said:

I’ll settle for a tweet

🤐

• Laughing 1

10 minutes ago, Shula-holic said:

Still sitting and waiting.  Although the more negative sentiment gets, the more it makes me want to go contrarian.

market sentiment seems to be the opposite of negative right now from what I am seeing in most places. Calling this the bottom, V recovery, etc. etc. 

Pretty bold imo given the fact this is truly like nothing we have seen / dealt with before. 

52 minutes ago, CR69 said:

30% for how long? 

No one knows the answer and a lot of numbers are being tossed around. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DrJ said:

Except it’s hard to say that because you don’t know the E part yet, just the P.

Understood.  But even a 20% drop in earnings puts us at 16.5 which is great value considering how low interest rates are.  The 20% reduction is based off of a worst case scenario that Merrill Lynch recently came out with.

38 minutes ago, JerseyToughGuys said:

Most of the trading volume these days is due to algos / programatic / momentum trading, right?

these days vs what?

2 hours ago, Todem said:

How do you look at T's WarnerMedia segment? I like the wireless and cable businesses from this since 5G and secular growth for data should persist. I just can't wrap my head around T's media business and the impact on it. That coupled with their increased leverage, I'm a bit more interested in VZ even at the premium it trades relative to VZ. I really want to get into some pure-play cable guys. I'm hoping I didn't miss the bottom on CHTR at $350 but will probably start legging in. 

1 minute ago, sporthenry said:

How do you look at T's WarnerMedia segment? I like the wireless and cable businesses from this since 5G and secular growth for data should persist. I just can't wrap my head around T's media business and the impact on it. That coupled with their increased leverage, I'm a bit more interested in VZ even at the premium it trades relative to VZ. I really want to get into some pure-play cable guys. I'm hoping I didn't miss the bottom on CHTR at $350 but will probably start legging in. 

I love VZ too. T is just a lot cheaper right now and the risk premium is the reason of that leverage you speak of. But long term.....T is a winner and VZ as well. I really believe you can’t go wrong with both. 

1 hour ago, chet said:

I think you mentioned last week? Or the week before they already tried their treatment on covid patients. How did that turn out ?

10 minutes ago, siffoin said:

these days vs what?

Let’s say 10 years ago. Or “today.”

Or no comparison whatsoever 

5 hours ago, ghostguy123 said:

I need this damn money to transfer.  One of the stocks I wanted a few days ago has already doubled......PLAY

Good grief I think it went up another 10% after I posted that

Quite happy to be all in the NAZ100 at close.  Beating NAZ and S&P for the year was the goal and absolutely could not wait any longer. Tried timing dead cat bounce. That blew up in my face.  See ya all on the other side.. Only way I sell now is a massive dead cat bounce over the next few weeks to 2800.

3 hours ago, Todem said:

We nibbled on T today.

T is a strong buy here.

Thoughts on Marriott and okta?

1 hour ago, Shula-holic said:

Ackman bought 2.5 billion in stocks today. that shyster wouldn't buy unless he was getting 5000 rolls of toilet paper for a nickel.

Just now, lod001 said:

Ackman bought 2.5 billion in stocks today. that shyster wouldn't buy unless he was getting 5000 rolls of toilet paper for a nickel.

Wouldn't he be buying pretty close to the bottom (at least from his perspective?)

2 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

Wouldn't he be buying pretty close to the bottom (at least from his perspective?)

That's what I'm saying. If he's buying, its a buy at this level.

1 hour ago, Sneegor said:

Yeah, but the forward P/E is gonna suck with all the unemployment

You can tell Trump is all about the Economy...expect a market bounce.   He's talking about getting back to work after 15 days...which is what I was saying earlier in this thread.

1 hour ago, JerseyToughGuys said:

Everyone  isn't going to answer

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2