Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Nice little TZA run there gave me a 2nd chance to close out after not doing it earlier.  Not waiting for a 3rd.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, beef said:

Nice little TZA run there gave me a 2nd chance to close out after not doing it earlier.  Not waiting for a 3rd.  

Nice trade. Taught that TZA a lesson.

Interesting little boomerang for the market there.  Reacted very negatively at the beginning of his speech---but he didn't really make any crazy announcements by the end of the speech--and the market trampolined back.   Not sure how to digest that moving forward.  

7 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

Is Trump making TVIX a play here?

I was hoping, took a small position this morning hoping this press conference would pay off.  Just dumped out of it at a small loss when he walked away from the mic.

Trump must have killed it because everything on my screen went from Red to Green.

4 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Trump must have killed it because everything on my screen went from Red to Green.

Maybe he just ques the Fed to deploy the funds during his speech.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, SouthJersey said:

Just wanted the beginning of this and have some questions/comments:

-Nader is painful to watch.

-He mentions that Cytodyn bought PRO140 (or whatever the leronlimab molecule is called) from Progenics.  Is this common in pharma?  Why would Progenics sell a winning drug?  (I also have to reach out to my mom's friend's son who is a former exec at Progenics.  Probably haven't seen/talked to the guy in 20+ years but would be interesting to hear his thoughts on leronlimab).

Progenics wanted to concentrate on their cancer drugs and PRO 140 was an HIV drug.  Ironically, leronlimab's best indication might be cancer.

Edited by Don Hutson

5 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

He came out strong--announced the US was withdrawing support for the WHO.  Kinda went through a checklist of all of China's wrongdoings.  It felt like he was going to possibly drop a hammer sanction and tariff-wise--but kinda finished his speech with no real major policy announcements aside from the WHO thing.  Symbolically his speech could draw some reaction from the Chinese--but in regards to the markets (as I want to keep things in line with the thread)--I found it hard to figure out.  

2 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Nice trade. Taught that TZA a lesson.

Well, it taught me one on the previous run.   Not quite a wash, but good enough to get out before it turns into me getting spanked again. 

17 minutes ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

Interesting little boomerang for the market there.  Reacted very negatively at the beginning of his speech---but he didn't really make any crazy announcements by the end of the speech--and the market trampolined back.   Not sure how to digest that moving forward.  

The message is this...China is important for stock prices

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Don't Noonan said:

NERV getting close to $4

Saw that. I'm ok with the gains I took, considering the fact that I'm the equivalent of a 5yr old with a loaded weapon.

ARVN is my new hotness. RSI is showing way oversold today, but I couldn't find any news to justify it. Bought in at $32.50, hoping for a Monday morning bump.

Edited by Tecumseh
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

He's the Nader of Presidents

Filling people’s pockets with money?

• Like 2

I can tell draft kings and I are gonna get along just fine. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

He came out strong--announced the US was withdrawing support for the WHO.  Kinda went through a checklist of all of China's wrongdoings.  It felt like he was going to possibly drop a hammer sanction and tariff-wise--but kinda finished his speech with no real major policy announcements aside from the WHO thing.  Symbolically his speech could draw some reaction from the Chinese--but in regards to the markets (as I want to keep things in line with the thread)--I found it hard to figure out.  

Big nothing burger. The whole speech was designed to make it look like he's tough on China without actually getting tough on them. I mean what did he do? Withdraw from the WHO and not recognize HK's independency? I doubt China cares that much about it. In fact, they probably welcome it. They can be more influential with the WHO and now they can take of HK and nobody will do anything about it. 

Not to turn it too political but it's impossible to at least not acknowledge the politics at play. It's a re-election year. From an economic standpoint, all Trump has is the stock market. He's going to do his best to help the stock market pull the rest of the economy. So he won't do anything as brazen as call for a trade war during market hours. I am of the belief that what the administration does and says are usually far apart. So I have to think they'll be pressuring China behind the scenes as well as pushing companies to move back. But he's going to walk the fine line of doing that without startling the markets. Of course, China knows that. Hence why they crossed his 'red line' on HK and this is all they got. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The DKNG streaming play was out of nowhere, but not surprising.

They have big time connections to the media and finance worlds.   Wouldn't be surprised to see them to continue to go in that direction.   The comparisons to PENN are unfounded IMHO.  DKNG has a much higher ceiling IMHO.

Edited by TripItUp

MRO dipping below $5.40 finally got me to bite.

13 minutes ago, Capella said:

I can tell draft kings and I are gonna get along just fine. 

You finally bit the bullet and got into draftkings?  Nice man!!

10 minutes ago, sporthenry said:

Big nothing burger. The whole speech was designed to make it look like he's tough on China without actually getting tough on them. I mean what did he do? Withdraw from the WHO and not recognize HK's independency? I doubt China cares that much about it. In fact, they probably welcome it. They can be more influential with the WHO and now they can take of HK and nobody will do anything about it. 

Not to turn it too political but it's impossible to at least not acknowledge the politics at play. It's a re-election year. From an economic standpoint, all Trump has is the stock market. He's going to do his best to help the stock market pull the rest of the economy. So he won't do anything as brazen as call for a trade war during market hours. I am of the belief that what the administration does and says are usually far apart. So I have to think they'll be pressuring China behind the scenes as well as pushing companies to move back. But he's going to walk the fine line of doing that without startling the markets. Of course, China knows that. Hence why they crossed his 'red line' on HK and this is all they got. 

This does make sense.  And @TripItUp also kinda summed things up well--"china is important to our markets".   It certainly had a symbolic toughness to it--without much action of toughness--which is probably what he was hoping to accomplish.   The lack of major action helped the market--and the symbolic toughness probably helped his base.    

My only concern is this--China has not responded all that well to tough symbolism.   The Daryl Morey thing kinda stands out to me.   I guess there is a small chance that they could over react to the tough words--but if they don't--I think your nothing burger thing probably applies. 

6 minutes ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

You finally bit the bullet and got into draftkings?  Nice man!!

Yea at 37. Good start! 

• Love 1

5 hours ago, Bossman said:

Anyone want to buy some NERV? ... I've got plenty to spare here.

Trading halted for the 3rd time ... likely done for the day at $4.50.

I'm guessing it settle at around $2 or so next week.

Sold puts at $10's, $7.50's ... lots of $5's and a bunch of $2.50's

This one is gonna sting. Sorry to those that followed me.

Bout the worst possible outcome ... other than them going bankrupt .. which is still on the table.

If they can stay afloat, 2 more drugs in the pipeline ... so maybe I can recoup a little down the road.

If my math is correct, my break even is at $4.23.

Stock came back a little today and has settled at $3.70

if she can come back another .50 my losses will be minimal. Still stinks tho.

3 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

The George Constanza of options investing.

Just a matter of time until the rest of you will learn to go the opposite of whatever I'm selling.

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

14 minutes ago, Bossman said:

My break even is a little higher, I believe around 5, but not as many options as you. I’ll be happy to get out with a minimal loss, but after some other bad trades recently, I was hoping this one was my golden ticket out of the red!

18 minutes ago, Lacey said:

My break even is a little higher, I believe around 5, but not as many options as you. I’ll be happy to get out with a minimal loss, but after some other bad trades recently, I was hoping this one was my golden ticket out of the red!

My break even is $4.60. I feel better this afternoon than this morning. $3.70 versus $2.50 makes for a huge difference. 50% for you mathy folks. 

• Thinking 1

1 hour ago, Bossman said:

Just a matter of time until the rest of you will learn to go the opposite of whatever I'm selling.

The fact that this went horribly wrong and the damage is so minimal just emphasis what a good find you made

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Dipped into PEP near the end of day. Long term like most of what I pick, only did about 15% a position. Still have a lot of cash but portfolio is coming back into form. Will start back into CDW on Monday.

IRA Portfolio in order of weight:

APPL

MSFT

V

ABT

CRM

JPM

SE

ATVI

SLQT

PEP

NFLX

CDW (Monday, will probably start out as much as half a position)

Gonna add 2 more stocks and then I’ll have a little gambling money. 401K is all mutual funds and I just leave them be basically.

Edited by McBokonon

When you guys say you are opening a position and start with a quarter or half.........

Please explain.  What is "a position"?  Do you invest the same amount of money in each stonk when you invest in a "full" position?

Say you dont own DFS and wanted to start a position today when it was down 3%.  Explain your process.  How much do you start with?  How much do you add if it goes down?  What if it goes up right away?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

When you guys say you are opening a position and start with a quarter or half.........

Please explain.  What is "a position"?  Do you invest the same amount of money in each stonk when you invest in a "full" position?

Say you dont own DFS and wanted to start a position today when it was down 3%.  Explain your process.  How much do you start with?  How much do you add if it goes down?  What if it goes up right away?

In many cases, the goal may be to own 100 shares. Instead of buying them all at once, you might buy 25 first and then more from there. For example, I liked BA when it got to 200 (it had traded around 300 pre-Covid). I bought 35 shares at 200. When it went to 150, I bought 35 more and then around 120, I grabbed the last 30. I don’t know if it is always a good practice, but in my example, I’m glad I proceeded slowly.

10 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

For me, a full position is about 10% of my account.  I only trade in my brokerage and ROTH, but primarily in my brokerage because thats the only place I can get significant funds in and out.

The other day I started with half a position of TGT.  If my brokerage account is 200K, I bought 10K worth of TGT.  

My thought process is, IF I'm wrong, which is quite often and the stock falls to a better price and I still like it, I will fill in with more shares.  IF I'm right, well my porftolio has grown, so I'm still happy.  

I only want to track about 10-15 stocks, and I don't want to be too overweight in any stock in particular as I want to be diversified.

Right now, only 2 stocks are over 10% of my portfolio - GOOG and WMT.  I have a lot of GOOG.  GB GOOG.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bossman said:

$4.08 after hours. You’re within shouting distance of break even. You might want to consider buying some of your puts back, especially the 5s which will be cheapest. Depends how much you want to gamble. Fingers crossed that it just gets better from here. What a day. 

3 hours ago, pecorino said:

My break even is $4.60. I feel better this afternoon than this morning. $3.70 versus $2.50 makes for a huge difference. 50% for you mathy folks. 

So do you put a limit order in to buy to close and see if it’ll hit or just let it ride out and likely own the shares at the end?

30 minutes ago, guru_007 said:

For me, a full position is about 10% of my account.  I only trade in my brokerage and ROTH, but primarily in my brokerage because thats the only place I can get significant funds in and out.

The other day I started with half a position of TGT.  If my brokerage account is 200K, I bought 10K worth of TGT.  

My thought process is, IF I'm wrong, which is quite often and the stock falls to a better price and I still like it, I will fill in with more shares.  IF I'm right, well my porftolio has grown, so I'm still happy.  

I only want to track about 10-15 stocks, and I don't want to be too overweight in any stock in particular as I want to be diversified.

Right now, only 2 stocks are over 10% of my portfolio - GOOG and WMT.  I have a lot of GOOG.  GB GOOG.

This perspective is helpful to me.  I find my current portfolio has way too many individual stocks spread between my/wife’s Roth, ira, individual and brokerage 401k.  It is definitely hard to track and honestly when you only have 1-2k in an individual stock, if it goes up 10% you look at it and don’t bother considering a sale since it’s only 100-200 bucks profit.  So I essentially end up holding them all longer term.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Lacey said:

So do you put a limit order in to buy to close and see if it’ll hit or just let it ride out and likely own the shares at the end?

I wasn't the one quoted ... but my plan at this point is to ride it out, have the stocks put to me, and then sell covered calls like a sombiznatch till I come out on top.

If this price holds I'll need to make 0.25 on a call to come out of this mess unscathed. Might even make a couple of bucks.

Edited by Bossman

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Lacey said:

This perspective is helpful to me.  I find my current portfolio has way too many individual stocks spread between my/wife’s Roth, ira, individual and brokerage 401k.  It is definitely hard to track and honestly when you only have 1-2k in an individual stock, if it goes up 10% you look at it and don’t bother considering a sale since it’s only 100-200 bucks profit.  So I essentially end up holding them all longer term.

I’ve only got 4 stocks that I’ve got less than $5k in for that reason. One is LK (own 100 shares) so we can ignore that. The other 3, honestly were during the bottom in March and I should have followed my normal practice of $5-10k because they are up a ton (over 100% combined). I think I was worried there was still more downside potential so I split up 1 normal buy into 3.

It’s not for everyone but I do agree that buying a really small position sometimes isn’t worth the effort. That’s said, I think from what I’ve read and seen, having 20-30 stocks is smart. Having just a few could make you a ton, but it can also blow you up in one day.

Also, I am not a day trader although I probably should be based on some of the tips and cash available. I’m just not experienced enough with all the limit orders and feel like stocks have been moving so much that I don’t want to get boned because I was in meetings and missed a 10% move.

Edited by stbugs

Posted (edited)

Edited by Bob Sacamano
Regerts. And probably wine
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 2

52 minutes ago, Lacey said:

I entered orders to buy back the puts at the original price.

Any thoughts on Spotify? They just signed Joe Rogan. Along with Netflix it's the only other subscription service I have. 

Any believe in it long term?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, ghostguy123 said:

I’m sure it varies by person, but I want to invest X amount into a new position based on my overall portfolio. I try to stay basically balanced but I’m just going to have more of some than others. But let’s say I want a new position to be 10k. If I like the stock but am concerned about momentum, I might just throw in 2k first and see what happens. I just don’t buy the whole position at once. Then I add if it goes whatever percentage either way it goes, which varies by stock. Like SE I’m fully prepared for it to drop into the 60’s because it’s been so hot, but I started small in case I’m wrong so I at least had some. I have general rules but parameters vary by the stock itself

Edited by McBokonon

6 hours ago, pecorino said:

I was told there would be no math. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 2
  • Thinking 1

9 hours ago, chet said:

What a horrible interview.  What was his goal in giving the interview?  I don't think he even mentioned COVID-19.  smh

I can honestly say I’ve never seen a less impressive CEO. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chet said:

What a horrible interview.  What was his goal in giving the interview?  I don't think he even mentioned COVID-19.  smh

You guys are misled. This interview was from last year. The interview was done by Biotech Trader and they acknowledged that it is old. Explains why no mention of Covid. Not sure why it was dated as of this May. 

Interesting to me from the interview was that NP mentions the BLA submission for HIV would be finished in September, which would be September of last year. As we know it took more than a half year after September 2019 to accomplish that. It explains to me why the BLA submission was so critical to the company's and NP's credibility. Again fosters the sense that NP is overly optimistic about timelines

Also NP talks about publication of a scientific article that would bolster their approach of txing HIV and increase public awareness of CYDY and leronlimab. Similar to where we are now re: Covid.

As an investor I liked that he compared the company to Gilead. He mentioned that Gilead was basically present CYDY from 1992 to 1997 due to low public awareness, development and SP but then went on a roll. He believed that something similar was going to happen to CYDY in a year.

Just seems to be so many positives in the future of the company. I'm in the process of freeing up additional cash to increase my holdings.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2020 at 8:55 PM, Judge Smails said:

I can honestly say I’ve never seen a less impressive CEO. 

He's definitely towards the top of inept CEO's. Thanks to @chet I got into some cydy when it was really cheap and I unloaded some along the way to where I'm basically playing with the house's money at this point.  Keep in mind--  I kept my investment in it really small--so it's not like my opinion really matters relative to the rest of you guys that are heavily invested in it. With that said--I want to get back in and own more CYDY but NP's ineptitude is what is keeping me out.   For reasons that fantasycurse and chet know--I'm not a believer in Remdesivir medically against covid.   Perhaps it might help slightly in some cases--but it has some really bad side effects--and without going into detail--I think there are behind the scenes reasons why our government was quick to endorse it.  Even with that endorsement--I think it's clear that we are thirsty for other therapeutics and vaccine candidates --and Leronlimab has shown some fantastic potential.  To me--in the world that our government seems to be throwing money and opportunity to any decent pharma company with a potential vaccine/therapeutic--I find it insane that leronlimab isn't getting far more exposure than it is now and thats a direct indictment on NP.

This is the quandry--how often does a good product succeed under bad leadership? I personally don't think that happens very often. In fact--I think the opposite. I think that bad products can be made successful under good leadership.  NP has to have some self awareness and let go of the reigns.  The company needs a different and more eloquent person as the front man.  His leadership is inhibiting the company—their product isn’t..  However--I have a sneaking suspicion that NP might be old school Persian.  I'm over half Persian myself so I'm speaking from experience--old school Persian people tend to be very stubborn.  If he could replace that stubborness with some self awareness-I really think this company has upside.  The problem is that is a big "if".  

Edited by jvdesigns2002
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Lacey said:

14 hours ago, pecorino said:

14 hours ago, FreeBaGeL said:

$5.48 for me 😮

12 hours ago, pecorino said:

$4.08 after hours. You’re within shouting distance of break even. You might want to consider buying some of your puts back, especially the 5s which will be cheapest. Depends how much you want to gamble. Fingers crossed that it just gets better from here. What a day. 

If you can get out without a loss... or just a small loss, I'm not going to argue that strategy.... but hear me out ...

If the stocks are put to you ...  and your break even was less than $5,  ... the $5 calls are advertised for 0.60 right now.

If the stock price holds at $4.10 and the $5 call price holds at .60, .... you sell the call, collect .60 per share, .... now your break even is .60 less.

If the stocks get "called" away, you're a winner at $5 per share plus your .60 premium.

If the stocks don't get called away, do it again the next month, collect another .60 per share.

There is a chance you loose if the stock price goes down ... but seems that it's already at bottom imo.

On 4/19/2020 at 5:50 PM, stbugs said:

I think the fact that he’s 85% cash and bonds says a lot. Many people have posted in here about taking the high road yet subconsciously or consciously their motivation is the same. In this case he said he thinks (wants) the market will hit a new bottom to get back in lower. People say they don’t have an agenda but when you read between the lines they do.

It’s a stick thread that’s what we are discussing. Pretty sure I don’t think we want people to die. Heck a large percentage of this thread is about finding cures. It’s not wrong to hope for that and to hope to benefit from it.

I had a response typed out 40 days ago, but when I went to post, it was delayed due to suspension. Yep, 40 days for posting the comparison between life and economy. Like Moses, I've returned from the desert (or my garden) after wandering for 40 days and 40 nights.

My response was that you haven't been reading my comments. I'm retired. I can live comfortably the rest of my life on a 4% return. Which means that my goal is to preserve what I have, not hit home runs. I posted early on that I moved to cash at the end of January. The goal was/is to DCA back in very slowly. I don't care if the market goes up or down. I care about the bottom line. Other posters have said the same thing in the last 40 days. Even @Todem was thinking we could retest March lows. I didn't see anyone questioning his motives. It took very little risk to achieve 4% YTD. 

TL:DR. Not everyone has the same investment strategy or need. 

13 hours ago, ghostguy123 said:

My approach is different from most here.  I don't mind tracking 30 stocks as they are all in one place and it takes 15 seconds to scan fidelity's page to "track" them.  With Amazon , Google, CYDY, and cash taking up 50% of my portfolio, the positions in the the other 27 stocks are small.  Lately I've been investing in a sector that seems like a value.  For instance I have MRO, XOM, WTI, PEO, and Chevron.  If one moves up more than then rest in a day for some reason, I'll sell some shares and move it into one of the others.  If one is down 5% and the others aren't, I'll deploy some cash and acquire some. 

II know I son't want DFS to be more than 5% of my portfolio.  I might enter at a 1% stake.  If it goes down, I'll add another 1.5%, and then another 2% if it drops lower.  From there I'll usually stop, although in the case of Blooming last time, I bought more and ended up at 10% of my portfolio.  For me, this was an uncomfortably large position to hold.  If the case of DFS, when I'm ready to invest, I'll look to see if I like another stock like SYF and spread that initial buy between the two.

If it's a stock like several of the biotech I had where I'll never own more than a 1% position, I'll sell half after a 50% gain, a quarter after 100%, and then the rest after 200% if it ever gets there.  If it's a normal stock like WFC where I'm comfortable with a 5% position, I'll start taking profits as early as 20%.  If I'm say trading, I'll exit with only only a 10% gain.

A lot of this strategy is based on the belief that guys around here like Todem are pretty damn smart and this market is going to have a pull back.  I don't mind taking profits since I want to maintain my cash position and the only way to do that if you are buying stocks is to always be selling some too.  When the time comes and I fell like I want to to be 100% invested in stocks this will change where I'll hold my stocks for much longer before selling.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

He's definitely towards the top of inept CEO's. Thanks to @chet I got into some cydy when it was really cheap and I unloaded some along the way to where I'm basically playing with the house's money at this point.  Keep in mind--  I kept my investment in it really small--so it's not like my opinion really matters relative to the rest of you guys that are heavily invested in it. With that said--I want to get back in and own more CYDY but NP's ineptitude is what is keeping me out.   For reasons that fantasycurse and chet know--I'm not a believer in Remdesivir medically against covid.   Perhaps it might help slightly in some cases--but it has some really bad side effects--and without going into detail--I think there are behind the scenes reasons why our government was quick to endorse it.  Even with that endorsement--I think it's clear that we are thirsty for other therapeutics and vaccine candidates --and Leronlimab has shown some fantastic potential.  To me--in the world that our government seems to be throwing money and opportunity to any decent pharma company with a potential vaccine/therapeutic--I find it insane that leronlimab isn't getting far more exposure than it is now and thats a direct indictment on NP.

This is the quandry--how often does a good product succeed under bad leadership? I personally don't think that happens very often. In fact--I think the opposite. I think that bad products can be made successful under good leadership.  NP has to have some self awareness and let go of the reigns.  The company needs a different and more eloquent person as the front man.  His leadership is inhibiting the company—their product isn’t..  However--I have a sneaking suspicion that NP might be old school Persian.  I'm over half Persian myself so I'm speaking from experience--old school Persian people tend to be very stubborn.  If he could replace that stubborness with some self awareness-I really think this company has upside.  The problem is that it's a big "if".  

Great post. Thanks. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KCitons said:

I had a response typed out 40 days ago, but when I went to post, it was delayed due to suspension. Yep, 40 days for posting the comparison between life and economy. Like Moses, I've returned from the desert (or my garden) after wandering for 40 days and 40 nights.

My response was that you haven't been reading my comments. I'm retired. I can live comfortably the rest of my life on a 4% return. Which means that my goal is to preserve what I have, not hit home runs. I posted early on that I moved to cash at the end of January. The goal was/is to DCA back in very slowly. I don't care if the market goes up or down. I care about the bottom line. Other posters have said the same thing in the last 40 days. Even @Todem was thinking we could retest March lows. I didn't see anyone questioning his motives. It took very little risk to achieve 4% YTD. 

TL:DR. Not everyone has the same investment strategy or need. 

I have no idea what we were even talking about but 4% YTD isn’t a great result. My three biggest accounts are up 22% (my largest cash position), 32% and 29% YTD and that’s with riding things out and in some cases buying more. Sure, someone who timed it perfectly would have gained more but to be up almost 30% YTD with that gigantic drop in the middle is a great result and that’s a lot of gains to miss.