Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Posted (edited)

So let me again make a critical point of compounding and buying and holding with a long term perspective. 

And I will use CSCO.....a perceived (and it can be shown laggard but again I can go back in a any time period and show pros and cons for anything) laggard.

I purchased 5000 shares for client A back on 8/24/15 at 25.50 a share ($127,500)

Before yesterdays sell off. The value of that investment including all dividend re-investment was $282,754 (total return 121%) Share total is now at 5,836 shares

After yesterdays sell off $249,314 

S&P 500 same exact time period total return 69%

Again not saying CSCO is the greatest investment since sliced bread......but when I bought it for client A.....it proceeded to out perform the S&P 500 from 8/24/15 thru 8/13/2020.

Dividends and growth in the stock price working together. The price of this stock was flat for several years before it really took off in 2019. But while we were waiting....those dividends were compounding and then when the price action starting happening...kaboom. 

The stock had been as high as 55 or more back in 2019........it will get back there again over the next few years IMO. Valuations for me green lit adding a little more yesterday for some clients, taking new positions for others who did not own it. And some clients.....we simply hold what we have already (like client A above.....they have enough exposure).

Anyway......just pointing this out so people understand my thinking and how I look at things. 

Edited by Todem
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 5

RLFTF back up 22%

• Like 1

Is CYDY pretty much dead now? 

1 hour ago, ghostguy123 said:

I have a little.  Gonna add a little more.  F it.

We'll see what happens.

I grabbed more today from an outstanding order at $1.30. 

With quarterly results coming in, I'm wondering if the sell offs are starting.  I'm wondering if now is the time to start piling cash.

Someone talk me out of it

1 hour ago, -OZ- said:

Is CYDY pretty much dead now? 

Never heard of it

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

34 minutes ago, JAA said:

With quarterly results coming in, I'm wondering if the sell offs are starting.  I'm wondering if now is the time to start piling cash.

Someone talk me out of it

I'm back down to about 40% cash currently. Also have about 15% in crypto / metals / commodities  

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

People piling into DHT.

Got in at 5.77 when you? recommended.  

thanks!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Caesar said:

thanks!!

Me too (5.80) and it was @BassNBrewwho recommended it.

32% dividend?

3 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

32% dividend?

40% based on my entry point. :lmao:

People hate the tanker segment, but it's primed to make money the next few years.  Ships being retired exceed new builds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

FLGT down 10.5%  Good time to add back those shares we sold yesterday.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Don't Noonan said:

DCT having a nice opening day too

Thanks for the reminder.  This was one I wanted to jump on today and see what happens.  

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Caesar said:

thanks!!

36 minutes ago, Steeler said:

Me too (5.80) and it was @BassNBrewwho recommended it.

$5.78 here. For a very small amount. Up $200 total. 

11 hours ago, TripItUp said:

H - may want to get into more blue chip hotels

I've been following the sector loosely. H is up 3% today. PE seems reasonable around 20. But then I looked at HLT, with a PE over 400. I assume this is a function of reporting? Or is it that Hilton is building that much more? It seems really odd that they'd be this far apart. MAR is in the 60s, which is still off. 

9 minutes ago, beef said:

Thanks for the reminder.  This was one I wanted to jump on today and see what happens.  

CureVac IPO (CVAC) has been even better.  Priced at $16 and is up 200% at $48.

• Thanks 1

CVAC was $40 by the time it hit the market though.  I grabbed some low 40's and sold just under $50.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/8/2020 at 9:48 AM, St. Louis Bob said:
On 12/6/2019 at 10:05 AM, St. Louis Bob said:

Damn it anyway.  Check in to donate to the lotto club and now I'm in for 2000 CYDY too. THANKS @chet!!!!

Original price $0.29

Sold 1000 shares on 3/31 at $2.91

Just sold 500 shares at $4.99

Have 500 left

I'm out.  Sold the remaining 500 at $3.76 this morning. 

(580)

Total profit $6705.00.  Thanks @chet!!

Good luck longs but I think you're crazy if you aren't at a minimum covering your costs.

Edited by St. Louis Bob
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, Desert_Power said:

DKNG down over 6% now. Maybe it is an entry point...

Maybe as a day trade.  There is at least a 50% chance that the NFL season is cancelled at some point.  I wouldn't want to be holding it when that happened.  If you want to hold it long term, buying when it plummets from the NFL season being cancelled would be the best entry point.

Pulling the plug on Comcast.  I'm a little bit disappointed in @Todem  Only a 26% return over 3 months.  My trust in him is going to wan if he keeps recommend dogs like this.

• Love 1
  • Laughing 2
  • Thinking 1

For those considering buying RLFTF, there is a $50 selling fee in addition to the $50 buying fee with Schwab and I assume Fidelity.  And a few dollars in foreign exchange fees. And if you have a limit order that only partially fills one day, you'll pay the $50 selling fee for each day that you sell.  I've paid $350 in fees for 3 day trades and probably $10 or $20 in exchange fees.

So today sold PPL and bought EXC - turns out me being buried at work was to my benefit as I made a few percent over the last couple of days.  Sold CYDY, HGEN (oof, though my position was tiny), and bought a bit of CSCO with the proceeds.  

Well we can all be winners...

Bought SARISSA RESOURCES INC about 15 years ago.  1000 shares for $156.  Well today it was up so I decided to cut my losses and sold for 99 cents.  At least I won't have to look at that red on my screen everyday.

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

2 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Well we can all be winners...

Bought SARISSA RESOURCES INC about 15 years ago.  1000 shares for $156.  Well today it was up so I decided to cut my losses and sold for 99 cents.  At least I won't have to look at that red on my screen everyday.

Did I learn a lesson?

OROCO RESOURCE CORP COM ISIN, in for 200 shares.

If first you don't succeed.

CureVac’s value soars after IPO, as Covid-19 vaccine manufacturers become biotech’s hottest companies

By DAMIAN GARDE  AUGUST 14, 2020

https://www.statnews.com/2020/08/14/curevacs-value-soars-after-ipo-as-covid-19-vaccine-manufacturers-become-biotechs-hottest-companies/

The developer of a vaccine for Covid-19 saw its share price nearly triple within hours of an initial public offering Friday, the latest example of how the coronavirus crisis has dramatically increased investor demand for biotech stocks.

CureVac, headquartered in Germany, raised about $213 million by pricing shares at $16 each. The company’s share price immediately rose to $44, boosting its valuation to roughly $8 billion. CureVac now trades on the Nasdaq under the symbol “CVAC.”

Once a fairly obscure player in the biotech universe, CureVac has made global headlines this year thanks to CVnCoV, a potential vaccine against the virus that causes Covid-19. The company’s vaccine is in Phase 1 development with early data expected in September or October. CureVac intends to start a pivotal, 20,000-volunteer study in the fourth quarter of this year.

“This is putting a huge pressure on the entire organization, but I would say it’s a positive pressure,” CEO Franz-Werner Haas said in an interview Friday.

CureVac’s IPO comes amid a dramatic run-up in value for companies working on Covid-19 vaccines. Moderna, Novavax, and Inovio Pharmaceuticals have seen their share prices rise by five-fold or more since the start of the year, propelled by early data from small clinical trials.

CureVac’s debut also arrives in the middle of what’s already a record year for biotech IPOs. Emerging drug makers have raised more than $9 billion on Wall Street in 2020, outpacing the previous record set in 2018 with months left to go. New biotech offerings have been trading up about 30% on average the day of their IPOs, helping the major biotech indices outperform the S&P 500 on the year.

CVnCoV is a messenger RNA vaccine that encodes for a protein found on the surface of the novel coronavirus. In theory, the vaccine will compel the body’s cells to produce that protein, spurring an immune system reaction that will teach the body how to fight against the virus and thus prevent Covid-19. Moderna and BioNTech, which is partnered with Pfizer, are using similar technologies for their Covid-19 vaccines.

Outside of Covid-19, CureVac is developing a vaccine for rabies, with a Phase 2 trial planned to start next year. The company has early-stage mRNA treatments for cancer and preclinical projects involving genome editing, metabolic disorders, and ocular diseases.

CureVac’s major shareholders include German billionaire Dietmar Hopp, GlaxoSmithKline, and the German government, which acquired a roughly 18% stake in the company earlier this year. Hopp, who co-founded the software giant SAP, owns nearly 50% of the company.

27 minutes ago, Don Hutson said:

Maybe as a day trade.  There is at least a 50% chance that the NFL season is cancelled at some point.  I wouldn't want to be holding it when that happened.  If you want to hold it long term, buying when it plummets from the NFL season being cancelled would be the best entry point.

I'm feeling pretty good the NFL is going to figure this out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Desert_Power said:

Football will have worse Covid problems than baseball:

1. Baseball is naturally socially distanced whereas football isn't

2. Football has 3 or 4 times as many players

3. Football has a bunch of cromagnons who aren't going to be safe

4. Football is played in fall and winter when Covid is going to explode

52 minutes ago, Desert_Power said:

Really? Maybe if by figuring it out you mean pulling the plug.

• Thinking 1

Just now, -OZ- said:

Or not caring about outbreaks. Let's expand roster sizes to 200 and get going!

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

2 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

There has been no reason so far to expect them to pull the plug. If anything the amount of positive tests is way lower than expected. 

4 minutes ago, Capella said:

There has been no reason so far to expect them to pull the plug. If anything the amount of positive tests is way lower than expected. 

For now. 

They've been in camp just over 2 weeks. We'll see how it goes.

1 minute ago, -OZ- said:

For now. 

They've been in camp just over 2 weeks. We'll see how it goes.

NFL will not pull the plug. They might put in other steps teams have to follow but they are going till the end. 

*this is not an endorsement. Just what they’re going to do. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Don Hutson said:

Football will have worse Covid problems than baseball:

1. Baseball is naturally socially distanced whereas football isn't

2. Football has 3 or 4 times as many players

3. Football has a bunch of cromagnons who aren't going to be safe

4. Football is played in fall and winter when Covid is going to explode

The size of the rosters/crews is a concern, but basketball and soccer have done fine in contact. At the end of the day, there is enough money involved I think they will make it work. Would feel more confident if it were possible to do a bubble. Probably other threads for this though. Thanks for your thoughts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Desert_Power said:

Heck, the way Drew Brees licks his hands, if he is asymptomatic the whole league will probably get it by week 4...

• Laughing 3

13 minutes ago, Capella said:

NFL will not pull the plug. They might put in other steps teams have to follow but they are going till the end. 

*this is not an endorsement. Just what they’re going to do. 

You're probably right.

But most would have said no major conference would postpone or cancel the college football season either. 

I still own 60,000 shares of Cobalt Blockchain because I'm too stubborn to admit this was a disaster and cut all losses.  Just announced some new financing and the stock is wiggling a little.  

Cobalt the metal is also starting to catch some bids, but unless the aerospace industry is resurrected, I don't think the metal is going to move like it did in 2016-2017.  EVs are coming, but absent the airlines coming back to life, I don't think EVs are enough to propel this metal to great heights.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

I still own 60,000 shares of Cobalt Blockchain because I'm too stubborn to admit this was a disaster and cut all losses.  Just announced some new financing and the stock is wiggling a little.  

Cobalt the metal is also starting to catch some bids, but unless the aerospace industry is resurrected, I don't think the metal is going to move like it did in 2016-2017.  EVs are coming, but absent the airlines coming back to life, I don't think EVs are enough to propel this metal to great heights.  

Still holding too!!!!1!

2 hours ago, Sand said:

So today sold PPL and bought EXC - turns out me being buried at work was to my benefit as I made a few percent over the last couple of days.  Sold CYDY, HGEN (oof, though my position was tiny), and bought a bit of CSCO with the proceeds.  

Here’s where I’m at with HGEN -> 7500 shares @ average price $3.88.

Not a recommendation, do your own DD. Point and laugh if you like.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Whyatt said:

Tell me more....or is your HGEN analysis somewhere in here already?  This thing had some crazy highs a few years back 

Edited by ditka...mike ditka

7 minutes ago, Whyatt said:

I’ve been able to flip enough on the Gibbs to call my way back to evenI’ve been able to flip enough on the Gibbs to call my way back to even

7 minutes ago, ditka...mike ditka said:

Tell me more....or is your HGEN analysis somewhere in here already?  This thing had some crazy highs a few years back 

To start, I offered this stock to this board after it’s MAB Lenzilumab was selected by US NIH for a RCT for Covid. As it turned out, I got killed on that buy and have averaged down in a pretty big way. So really I’m updating my position on this after a brutal beat down. :bag:  We will see.

In the meanwhile, I’ve done my homework and think there is opportunity here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

55 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

And Tesla thinks they can cut it out of the battery process iirc. just fwiw

14 minutes ago, Capella said:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4367483-relief-therapeutics-discovers-promising-covidminus-19-killer

article on rlftf, our latest corona scam stock. Sorry if posted. Guy speculates it’s an 18 dollar stock lol. I love this crap. 

You found my article. 🧐

37 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

And Tesla thinks they can cut it out of the battery process iirc. just fwiw

I hear vibranium is the best bet.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1