What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (19 Viewers)

I noticed today that S&P 500, Dow Jones and NASDAQ all dropped like a rock today. Is there a particular reason? Was there any important news that come out causing it? Or is it just the regular traders locking in their profits/correction ? Thanks so much!
It’s cappy’s fault

All right, who did the worse today? I was down 2.1%. Go
How is doing better than the market bad? I got crushed. Down over 5%. That’s said I was up about 5% on the week before today. Tuesday was ridiculous for me just like today was ridiculously bad. Par for the course though. July and August were pretty solid but June was up and down. S&P was down 3.5% today. On June 11th, 24th and 26th, the S&P was down almost 11%. April 30th/May 1st and May 12th/13th both dropped almost 4% over two days. Early April had one day over 4% drop and two days back to back with an almost 5% drop.

It’s a year of a lot of bumps. This certainly isn’t the first bump this year after March and it very likely won’t be the last. With this being the new gambling arena and so many new retail investors, the volatility is off the charts.

I was up .93%.
How in the world did you manage that? Also, is this a big account? My trading accounts are most of my investments. I know for some folks in here they only trade in a small play account although even ETFs and index funds got whacked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down 5.43% today in the account I started when I opened my fun account and started reading this thread. 

Not sure on my retirement 401, won’t look 👀
I get that. But honestly, a pullback was fully expected at some point.

I've been waiting to get my oldest son into a Roth IRA. My concern was simply that he'd dump $1,000 into it and the next week he'd be down a few hundred. In the grand scheme that's nothing, but when you're first getting started, losing money can set the wrong message. I want him to get some easy wins while using the 3 fund portfolio or maybe just VTI.

How in the world did you manage that? Also, is this a big account? My trading accounts are most of my investments. I know for some folks in here they only trade in a small play account although even ETFs and index funds got whacked.
Well, it's because I am amazing.   :headbang:

But, to be honest, this is just a small account. It was in a small  401K that was sitting there when I changed jobs a long time ago. It was parked at my USAA account, but then they migrated all of their stuff to Schwab. So I decided to use it as an account to learn more about this stuff. 

I'm 51 years old and my investment experience is limited to "put things in a company 401k and don't look at it ever."  I didn't have any great role models growing up when it comes to investing at all - my dad was a drunk and died when I was 17. My mom and step-mom were around but I was effectively on my own at 18. It's a miracle I will be in position to semi-retire at 60 or so. Most of that is because my wife is a saving monster and she really helped me achieve all of my goals.

So this account was worth maybe $10k when it got moved to Schwab. Over the last 4 years or so it would rise a few hundred bucks, drop a few hundred bucks - it was just in this perpetual wave pool. 

Figured I would try some new things, so I started asking questions around here and making some changes. I started messing with it the end of June. I've since started a brokerage account with a couple grand so I could learn stocks and such.

Overall I'm up about 10%, and that's with me coming in at a bad time on CYDY. So I'm really happy so far, and it's been because of all the folks around here and info I've gleaned from reading the posts and such.

As far as my 401k's and wife's stuff - I have no idea. I honestly don't look at those very often at this point. All I know is they are up really well this year despite the dip in March/April due to the Covid crash. But those are all chosen funds from the companies 401k choices. I don't really want to mess with those until I'm more educated.

The question is what to buy and when to buy.  As many of you know I was mostly in cash waiting for this exact opportunity.  Will report back on what I decide.  I'm in no rush.

I'm leaning towards Google, Facebook, Okta, salesforce.

The question is what to buy and when to buy.  As many of you know I was mostly in cash waiting for this exact opportunity.  Will report back on what I decide.  I'm in no rush.

If you want to step on the gas, FNGU is down around 20% from intraday highs this week. 

Well, it's because I am amazing.   :headbang:

But, to be honest, this is just a small account. It was in a small  401K that was sitting there when I changed jobs a long time ago. It was parked at my USAA account, but then they migrated all of their stuff to Schwab. So I decided to use it as an account to learn more about this stuff. 

I'm 51 years old and my investment experience is limited to "put things in a company 401k and don't look at it ever."  I didn't have any great role models growing up when it comes to investing at all - my dad was a drunk and died when I was 17. My mom and step-mom were around but I was effectively on my own at 18. It's a miracle I will be in position to semi-retire at 60 or so. Most of that is because my wife is a saving monster and she really helped me achieve all of my goals.

So this account was worth maybe $10k when it got moved to Schwab. Over the last 4 years or so it would rise a few hundred bucks, drop a few hundred bucks - it was just in this perpetual wave pool. 

Figured I would try some new things, so I started asking questions around here and making some changes. I started messing with it the end of June. I've since started a brokerage account with a couple grand so I could learn stocks and such.

Overall I'm up about 10%, and that's with me coming in at a bad time on CYDY. So I'm really happy so far, and it's been because of all the folks around here and info I've gleaned from reading the posts and such.

As far as my 401k's and wife's stuff - I have no idea. I honestly don't look at those very often at this point. All I know is they are up really well this year despite the dip in March/April due to the Covid crash. But those are all chosen funds from the companies 401k choices. I don't really want to mess with those until I'm more educated.
Gotcha. I lost way more in my stocks today than that account. Woo hoo! It must be an IRA since you can trade stocks, maybe you rolled it over? My parents are wonderful but they absolutely weren’t great with savings and investing. I’m not much younger than you and honestly I’m feeling so much better about retirement now than I was just a few years ago. I have definitely enjoyed investing and really wish I started way earlier even with days like today.

Even so. I'm just curious as to why the IRA is extra cash. It's the first thing I fund every year, although contributing to the company match takes priority.
I appreciate you being cool, but you should have left in the "I'm dumb" part of my quote, because I just did all sorts of stupid.  The IRA is not the normal extra cash account, it's my regular TD brokerage.  I transferred to the wrong account.  Think I better call TD in the morning since I just exceeded a limit. 

I pretty much matched the NASDAQ. I didn’t buy much today thinking this isn’t over, but I’m ready to go shopping.
This is me.  Ready to go shopping, but not sure we are out of the woods. 

Anybody have historical context on what happens over Labor Day?

It’s a decent opportunity but unless you went to cash on Tuesday it’s not a win. Even with today’s drops:

CRM is basically at where it was on Monday and almost up 25% from last Tuesday.

FB is where it was on Friday and up 8% from last Monday.

OKTA is at the same price it was Friday and 3% up from last Monday.

GOOG is where it was Monday and up 4% since last Monday.

Today was a heck of a drop but unless you went to cash earlier this week, you likely would have just been better to hold on. If it drops 15% more on these 4 then you made a good call. It’s hard to time the market.

My play account was green today because of buying KCAC at $16 and catching 30% there (huge AH gain).  CYDY made the Roth green.  And I don't want to talk about my Trad account. :bag:       

:lmao:

What did I say @cosjobs ?

For its fiscal second quarter, ended July 31, DocuSign (ticker: DOCU) posted revenue of $342.2 million, up 45% from a year earlier, and ahead of the range of $316 million to $320 million the company had told investors to expect. The consensus expectation on Wall Street had been for $318.6 million in revenue.

Non-GAAP profits were 17 cents a share, well above the Street consensus of 8 cents a share (Whisper number was $.10). revenue was $323.6 million, up 47%. Billings were $405.7 million, up 61%.

And raised guidance.

Down 3.5% AH

It’s a decent opportunity but unless you went to cash on Tuesday it’s not a win. Even with today’s drops:

Today was a heck of a drop but unless you went to cash earlier this week, you likely would have just been better to hold on. If it drops 15% more on these 4 then you made a good call. It’s hard to time the market.
Yeah that's the main thing keeping me sane right now.  I was down over 5% today but I'm still up half a percent from where I was all the way back on August 31st.

Sucks to wipe out that really fun run this week has been in a day but if the bleeding stops soon it will be ok in the scheme of things.  I increased my exposure to AMZN/SE/AAPL today so if this keeps going it could be even less fun.  I even bought back into TSLA for a bounce but that's already way in the red, but that was just a small amount of play money.

:lmao:

What did I say @cosjobs ?

For its fiscal second quarter, ended July 31, DocuSign (ticker: DOCU) posted revenue of $342.2 million, up 45% from a year earlier, and ahead of the range of $316 million to $320 million the company had told investors to expect. The consensus expectation on Wall Street had been for $318.6 million in revenue.

Non-GAAP profits were 17 cents a share, well above the Street consensus of 8 cents a share (Whisper number was $.10). revenue was $323.6 million, up 47%. Billings were $405.7 million, up 61%.

And raised guidance.

Down 3.5% AH
Earnings is such a tough play right now.  You either have to absolutely SMASH expectations at which point it's a coin-flip whether you fly to the absolute moon or somehow still drop a small amount.  A small earnings beat is death right now, and that was a pretty small beat for DOCU.

RKT had basically the same earnings/growth as ZM and absolutely tanked.  SWBI just reported and blew earnings out of the water, AND added a dividend, AND their strongest play (the election) isn't even here yet and it's still basically flat.  Crazy.

Futures open in 7 mins.  I wonder what they'll look like with the way the indexes are still getting sold off some AHs.

Not trying to time the market and am trying to avoid long holds as I'm generally a bear at these current levels.   

proteus126 said:
Rebalanced today.  Moved 3% of invested assets from equity funds to bond funds.  Mostly in my 401k, but a little movement in my taxable account too (yes, I'll be paying some add'l capital gains taxes next spring).

I just have to start banking some gains.  What a tremendous run!
Good timing.  Don't get cocky, kid.

I have been trying to shift out of tech, and I'm still bullish on homebuilders with these interest rates.  I'm in Lenar, which tanked today but have been picking up shares grbk that I discovered from this article below. (David Einhorn bottom right).  I specifically like that they build in Texas, FL, and Colorado.  Three states which should see many retirees and people fleeing high tax states.

https://wallethub.com/edu/hedge-fund-stocks/38113/

So today I started 3 positions and bought my first ever shares of amazon, Google, and apple.

Any advice on where to go from here?  Would tomorrow be the day to add if everything is down several % again?  Or wait till next week for an even bigger pullback?

I am like 60% cash in these accounts.

Edit....I thought about putting in some limit orders for about 5% down.  

GBTC, HGEN, RWLK sure have been building a lot of character lately. 😶
HGEN start killing patients or something?
@Whyatt recommended it again last week.
Sorry everyone. I’m at a loss to understand the tanking of the stock price. There has been 1 disappointment, not moving to Nasdaq yet. The CEO gave the impression today it is imminent. 

I think there may be some misunderstanding that the recent IL-6 inhibitor failures reflect poorly on lenzilumab’s chances. I disagree and think the recent Mayo Clinic manuscript supports the MoA. My view is competition is dropping out.

There was a conference call today with many respected analysts present and asking questions. I think this drug has a good chance for an EUA for Covid about November.

I can wait this out. I’ve averaged down again, 13k share cost basis 3.32. YOLO 

Sorry everyone. I’m at a loss to understand the tanking of the stock price. There has been 1 disappointment, not moving to Nasdaq yet. The CEO gave the impression today it is imminent. 

I think there may be some misunderstanding that the recent IL-6 inhibitor failures reflect poorly on lenzilumab’s chances. I disagree and think the recent Mayo Clinic manuscript supports the MoA. My view is competition is dropping out.

There was a conference call today with many respected analysts present and asking questions. I think this drug has a good chance for an EUA for Covid about November.

I can wait this out. I’ve averaged down again, 13k share cost basis 3.32. YOLO 
It must be at rock bottom.  It hasn't fallen below the $2.40-$2.50 range in months.  Lenzilumab is still a Covid drug with promise.  The stock price will rebound.

It must be at rock bottom.  It hasn't fallen below the $2.40-$2.50 range in months.  Lenzilumab is still a Covid drug with promise.  The stock price will rebound.
@Whyatt no worries man, I'm not bailing. 

I did average down the other day.  Thought about it again today but figured I'd just wait for tomorrow.  

Feels like there could be a market crash tomorrow.  Like a Nasdaq goes under 10,000 kind of day.
Bold prediction on a Friday before a holiday weekend. Usually the markets are ho-hum boring and low volume on these kind of days. But 2020 hasn’t been your typical year in any way, shape or form so who knows?

It’ll be fine. Temporary thing. 
Thanks.  I think tomorrow will be down, so selling at 20% loss from yesterday.  but still up 20% from just a few months ago.  I stupidly went on margin for the apple. and want to just hit reset

Yeah, if you’re just looking for short term trades, today was probably a nightmare. If you’re investing long term, it’s either “meh” or “sweet I have cash.”
I was long term untill I went margin on apple.  all in :puke:

Users who are viewing this thread