Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2 hours ago, beef said:

Besides NFL-Covid concerns, it wasn't unreasonable to sell off some while it was above $60.  DKNG was on a huge run.  Gotta have some brake checks.

Tell that to JKS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

FSLY looking solid. Best decision was to leave it be through all the bouncing around. If it keeps this up, might finally decide to trim a little. Definitely feeling frothy but there’s nothing wrong with holding a stock for a long time if it’s growing well.

I held through it as well, now wish I had bought more down there.  I was tempted but I didn't really see a reasonable out on the Tik Tok ordeal.  I thought ORCL had very little chance of winning that bid.  Whoops.

53 minutes ago, beef said:

IPOC merging with Clover Health.  Clover is not making a profit, but growing fast, 3x industry average.  Google Ventures is involved too.  IPOC was $13+ prior to announcement, and now 10.60's.

Is Clover Health that bad, or just not exciting enough?  

No path to profitability for two more years, according to the showrunner. He's a smart guy, but you can probably have $11 a year from now.

• Thanks 1

In further don't-listen-to-me news, it's going to take cojones de piedras to hold UVXY and TZA through the election. I will likely have an even quicker trigger finger than usual, and will likely miss a subsequent massive gain. Starting to bore myself. :lmao:

ICLN is giving me a nice return

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChiefD said:

I am. Cost basis is like .19. Considering buying more. 

I just did some research on RVVTF.  The phase 3 trial of their drug Bucillamine is just starting to enroll.  They believe that it'll enroll quickly but it's hard to know if that is true or not.  If it does enroll super quickly, the earliest that results could be released would likely be February.  If it doesn't enroll quickly, then who knows.  It is a drug that is taken within the first 72 hours of the onset of Covid symptoms.  So it is in direct competition with Regeneron's and Lilly's monoclonal antibodies.  Since Regeneron's and Lilly's treatments are showing efficacy, that isn't good.  Although, I'm not sure if Bucillamine could be taken simultaneously with the mabs.  It is a pill that is taken 3 times a day for 14 days.  That is good since it could be done on an outpatient basis.  That is especially important when hospitals get slammed.  RVVTF's market cap is only $30 million dollars and it trades in very low volume.  On average, about $1.5 million shares are traded each day.  At about 20 cents per share, that is about $300,000 worth of stock traded each day.  So be careful with market orders.  Its small market cap does make it intriguing since good news could send the stock price skyrocketing.  But good news doesn't look to be very close.

Revive Therapeutics is also involved in psychedelic mushroom therapies and cannabis therapies.  They are working with UW-Madison to develop psilocybin-laced oral thin films.  Basically, breath mint strips with either micro or macro levels of psilocybin.  It's actually pretty interesting and many states are on the path to legalizing psilocybin for treatment purposes and maybe even recreational purposes.  Here is a interview with one of the researchers from UW-Madison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA6sJACvmPA&feature=emb_logo

I won't be investing in RVVTF, yet.  But I'm going to keep my eye on it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

And more fuel for FSLY: https://www.fastly.com/partner/gcp

Nice. Looks like I’ll be hanging onto it for a while. I bought two different times so my cost basis is $17 and change at 417 shares. It’s in my top 4 gainers and here’s to hoping it keeps ascending.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, beef said:

IPOC merging with Clover Health.  Clover is not making a profit, but growing fast, 3x industry average.  Google Ventures is involved too.  IPOC was $13+ prior to announcement, and now 10.60's.

Is Clover Health that bad, or just not exciting enough?  

I’m going to hold for a bit. Want to see some quarterly reports (why I plan to hold FMCI for a while). I’m using the SPACs as money market accounts unless the merger announced turns into something I want to hold. It’s also a diversification into something I don’t have.

Also, I do think it’s excitement as well. People are hoping for an AirBNB or a Nikola (maybe not anymore). GHIV is merging with UWMC, a competitor to Rocket, but not real exciting. @Chadstroma is in the mortgage broker business and he loves UWMC and loathes Rocket, but the name is huge right now until the actual finances start rolling in. 

Edited by stbugs
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shadrap said:
1 hour ago, stbugs said:

How is Biden good for oil? I don’t think that makes sense. He’s bad for oil. Why would it pop up?

Federal lands will be closed for drilling.  He is against fracking(although he flip flops on it depending on who he is talking to.  Oil prices will go up immediatly.

Biden would certainly be a negative for oil companies in terms of regulation, without even getting into any potential tax or cap-and-trade scheme. I do think the changing of political guard could impact the calculus of OPEC+ though. I tend to think the Russia/SA war on shale oil has been successful and they won't need to keep prices so low.

5 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I’m going to hold for a bit. Want to see some quarterly reports (why I plan to hold FMCI for a while). I’m using the SPACs as money market accounts unless the merger announced turns into something I want to hold. It’s also a diversification into something I don’t have.

Also, I do think it’s excitement as well. People are hoping for an AirBNB or a Nikola (maybe not anymore). GHIV is merging with UWMC, a competitor to Rocket, but not real exciting. @Chadstroma is in the mortgage broker business and he loves UWMC and loathes Rocket, but the name is huge right now until the actual finances start rolling in. 

Good points.  Others too.  Thanks.

I'll be holding IPOC for a while too I think.  When it comes to healthcare insurance companies, the "Medicare Advantage" sections is only part that interests me.  Seems likely to grow a lot in the future, just not sure how long into the future.

20 minutes ago, beef said:

Good points.  Others too.  Thanks.

I'll be holding IPOC for a while too I think.  When it comes to healthcare insurance companies, the "Medicare Advantage" sections is only part that interests me.  Seems likely to grow a lot in the future, just not sure how long into the future.

38 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Are we more or less looking at the floor for GHIV? Isn't the buyback (if the merger doesn't take place) of this about $10? I'm thinking about throwing a few bones into this.

Averaged down on DPHC since I missed my chance to average down last time due to work.  May add more if it dips back into the teens, but I'm approaching the maximum I'd want to invest.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dr_Zaius said:

Averaged down on DPHC since I missed my chance to average down last time due to work.  May add more if it dips back into the teens, but I'm approaching the maximum I'd want to invest.

Added a whoppin' 6 shares of DPHCU at 23.50. :lol:   It's in my Roth and all I had available.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skycriesmary said:

Are we more or less looking at the floor for GHIV? Isn't the buyback (if the merger doesn't take place) of this about $10? I'm thinking about throwing a few bones into this.

I've been eyeing it too. I think the floor is $9?

1 hour ago, skycriesmary said:

Based on the “offers” I still get on FMCI and OPES to buy me out around $10, I suspect it is basically the floor. I think I’m part due to NKLA, SPACs haven’t been running as well the past few weeks. They still pop like IPOB if the announcement is a known entity, but they are still down from highs and some with deals are barely up at all like GHIV and IPOC.

Based on @Chadstroma’s rec since he’s in the industry, GHIV seem like a solid buy with a solid floor. Upside is an unknown until they release some earnings reports. That was what has kept FMCI above $20 (same $10 start), because they’ve reported revenue/earnings above forecast. I like them a lot. Their market cap is around 2x 2021 sales which is very low for a company growing at 70% per the report last night. I compared them to Snowflake who’s growing at a faster rate but price to sales was around 100x.

Ford is up nicely today.

Showed off their new F150 yesterday. That truck is being built here in the Kansas City area, so got some nice coverage in the KC Star today. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, beef said:

Added a whoppin' 6 shares of DPHCU at 23.50. :lol:   It's in my Roth and all I had available.

Grabbed some of the U at $24.86

18 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Based on the “offers” I still get on FMCI and OPES to buy me out around $10, I suspect it is basically the floor. I think I’m part due to NKLA, SPACs haven’t been running as well the past few weeks. They still pop like IPOB if the announcement is a known entity, but they are still down from highs and some with deals are barely up at all like GHIV and IPOC.

Based on @Chadstroma’s rec since he’s in the industry, GHIV seem like a solid buy with a solid floor. Upside is an unknown until they release some earnings reports. That was what has kept FMCI above $20 (same $10 start), because they’ve reported revenue/earnings above forecast. I like them a lot. Their market cap is around 2x 2021 sales which is very low for a company growing at 70% per the report last night. I compared them to Snowflake who’s growing at a faster rate but price to sales was around 100x.

Added another 100 shares at $9.99

On 9/8/2020 at 2:29 PM, eaganwildcats said:

Yeah might be $bmyr - depends on the platform I think. When doing my twitter due diligence $bmyrt is the best bet. 

I might end up losing my money and being sad, but following Twitter for this has been great entertainment. 

32 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

Ford is up nicely today.

Showed off their new F150 yesterday. That truck is being built here in the Kansas City area, so got some nice coverage in the KC Star today. 

I hope the new CEO Farley helps get them going in the right direction.  My wife works for Ford and in her opinion the previous guy (Hackett) was the worst CEO they have had in her 30 years there (which includes the Jac Nasser years).

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Hopped on at $9.99 as well. 

On the SPAC front, is anyone in Flying Eagle Acquisition Corp (FEAC)?  Apparently this is run by the same guys from Diamond Eagle Acquisition which became DKNG.  FEAC is set to merge with Skillz (mobile gaming company) to take them public.  Don't know much about FEAC or Skillz, but from what I have read it sounds interesting.

This may sound like a dumb question - how much do you pay on taxes if you make a profit?

2 minutes ago, wazoo11 said:

This may sound like a dumb question - how much do you pay on taxes if you make a profit?

Depends. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, wazoo11 said:

Seriously though, there is no single answer. Is it a taxable account or an IRA? How long did you hold it before you sold? What’s your top income tax rate/AGI? Did you buy and sell the same stock close to the same times? Was the profit a dividend? Lots of variables. 

Edited by stbugs

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Seriously though, there is no single answer. Is it a taxable account or an IRA? How long did you hold it before you sold? What’s your top income tax rate/AGI? Did you buy and sell the same stock close to the same times? Was the profit a dividend? Lots of variables. 

It’s a taxable account- I sold a share of Starbucks at a 10.00 profit last month.

my agi is like 15-20K, hooray grad life.

Edited by wazoo11

7 minutes ago, wazoo11 said:

It’s a taxable account- I sold a share of Starbucks at a 10.00 profit last month.

my agi is like 15-20K, hooray grad life.

Then your capital gains tax is 0% if you hold it a year or longer before selling or 10% (lowest bracket) for under a year. There’s also a 3.8% extra tax that you don’t qualify to get.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BassNBrew said:

I’m good at 300, whether or not I reduce cost by pennies isn’t enough to get more. Still have some other things to keep an eye on.

That said, freaking fabulous day. Up 3.5% overall today, not sure how long this can keep running.

36 minutes ago, Al Czervik said:

On the SPAC front, is anyone in Flying Eagle Acquisition Corp (FEAC)?  Apparently this is run by the same guys from Diamond Eagle Acquisition which became DKNG.  FEAC is set to merge with Skillz (mobile gaming company) to take them public.  Don't know much about FEAC or Skillz, but from what I have read it sounds interesting.

I am holding some.  Both SPACs and gaming have been on fire lately.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I’m good at 300, whether or not I reduce cost by pennies isn’t enough to get more. Still have some other things to keep an eye on.

That said, freaking fabulous day. Up 3.5% overall today, not sure how long this can keep running.

Yeah best day in a while.  It's a crazy day when both my primary holdings and the stock that shall not be named are up bigly on the same day.  They usually run kind of inverse of each other.

Edited by FreeBaGeL
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Congrats.  I'm holding to much cash to score that big.  

Sold the Amazon I bought yesterday at around $3105 at $3199.99.  Almost got the high number on the day.  Amazon is currently over 30% of my stock holdingss so I need to pare it down.  My DCA is $3050 after selling all I had before at $3000 and $3200 prior to last earnings plus some day trading profits.  I think I'll sell a share every $100 up and buy one any time it drops significantly.

Bought some Campbell's Soup today based on Kramer's recommendation.  

3 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Bought some Campbell's Soup today based on Kramer's recommendation.  

No soup for you!!

• Laughing 3

So what's the deal with the banks?  DFS and SYF are killing them.  WFC and JPM release earnings next week.  Do we get rewarded for or patience or will guidance tank them again?

11 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Congrats.  I'm holding to much cash to score that big.  

Sold the Amazon I bought yesterday at around $3105 at $3199.99.  Almost got the high number on the day.  Amazon is currently over 30% of my stock holdingss so I need to pare it down.  My DCA is $3050 after selling all I had before at $3000 and $3200 prior to last earnings plus some day trading profits.  I think I'll sell a share every $100 up and buy one any time it drops significantly.

Thanks, funny thing is that I had an almost identical gain last week or the week before. Been a real nice roll the past few weeks.

I have a lot of Amazon as well but no plans to reduce. I do have a big chunk hitting 1 year in November and December. Taxes are big so not selling no matter what before then and still probably not selling. I’ve got enough taxable account cash to cover living and college expenses through 2022 so selling has to make great tax sense/better opportunities. 

43 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

Yeah best day in a while.  It's a crazy day when both my primary holdings and the stock that shall not be named are up bigly on the same day.  They usually run kind of inverse of each other.

I got out of that completely but that was a fun stock because it seemed to carry me (I had way too much) on those not great market days.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stbugs said:

No one knows UWM name because they don't do retail lending, only wholesale. Hell, even Mortgage Loan Officers working for banks and direct lenders don't know the name sometimes. Many people around the industry don't know the name. I am sure it would be rare for a realtor to know UWM. In fact, I am doing my own refi right now, through UWM, and mentioned it to the appraiser as we talked and he never heard of it. It just isn't a name brand. However... 

It IS the fastest growing Mortgage lender on the country. 

It IS the largest wholesaler in the country. 

It IS the second largest mortgage lender on the country. 

It IS the favorite/preferred lender of most mortgage brokers whose market share of mortgage lending has been growing exponentially. 

It IS lead by one of the most admired leaders in mortgage lending (Mat Ishbia). They set trends and the market (retail and wholesale) follow. 

• Thanks 2

On 8/2/2020 at 11:15 AM, McBokonon said:

I bought some IBM. If their much ballyhooed Microsoft-like turnaround ever happens, we’re going to see more evidence of it in the next several quarters. Last quarter showed signs and they’re paying over 5% while I wait. They did a token raise to project stability, plus they’re involved in blockchain and just entered a quantum computing partnership with the University of Tokyo and some Japanese businesses (paging @ren hoek )so they’re definitely forward-looking.

Anyway, great stable dividend for those asking about that, which I needed to round out our portfolios and maybe they’ll give some growth with the above and redhat, etc. 

A very un-IBM style pop this morning after they raised guidance but probably most importantly, they’re spinning off their managed infrastructure unit so they can focus on hybrid cloud. They seem to be making the right decisions under this new CEO.

• Love 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

A very un-IBM style pop this morning after they raised guidance but probably most importantly, they’re spinning off their managed infrastructure unit so they can focus on hybrid cloud. They seem to be making the right decisions under this new CEO.

Good short time bet, but they’ve been a terrible stock to own. Ignoring dividend, the stock price even with the pop is still $4 less than where it was 5 years ago. That’s awful. Big tech stocks like Microsoft, Apple and Amazon are up 4-5x in the same period.

Geez, just looked again and IBM right now is basically where it was in 1999 after the dot com run up. It’s been a money market account (dividends) during one of the best bull runs for 21 years. Even with the crashes in 2000 and 2008, the market is up 2.5x without dividends. 

Edited by stbugs

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

Good short time bet, but they’ve been a terrible stock to own. Ignoring dividend, the stock price even with the pop is still $4 less than where it was 5 years ago. That’s awful. Big tech stocks like Microsoft, Apple and Amazon are up 4-5x in the same period.

Geez, just looked again and IBM right now is basically where it was in 1999 after the dot com run up. It’s been a money market account (dividends) during one of the best bull runs for 21 years. Even with the crashes in 2000 and 2008, the market is up 2.5x without dividends. 

There’s no way I would have been patient enough to hold all those years, but there were real signs that they were getting focused on growth and this new CEO seems to get it. That’s why I finally bought in September. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, kevzilla said:

If I had any guts I would double down on TZA now. I do not. :lmao:

I sold my BZQ bought on Monday for a 3% profit and moved it to TZA just now.

Edited by BassNBrew

Kohl's popped this morning another 3%.  Just sold  the shares acquired Tuesday afternoon for a 9% profit.  Likely the 5th or 6th time.  

• Like 1

My real problem is that I bought a "full" position in TZA. If I had bought a half position the other day, I would be lowering my cost basis a lot this morning. Arrogance is not my friend.

I have a half position in UVXY, but it's not down enough to justify doubling down, yet.

3 minutes ago, kevzilla said:

My real problem is that I bought a "full" position in TZA. If I had bought a half position the other day, I would be lowering my cost basis a lot this morning. Arrogance is not my friend.

I have a half position in UVXY, but it's not down enough to justify doubling down, yet

Is TZA one you play for short term and if you see a nice little pop you generally get out?

5 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

I sold my BZQ bought on Monday for a 3% profit and moved it to TZA just now.

I’m nervous but then again, I’m optimistic. I feel like the smart thing would be to lock in my gains over 2020, but then again I remember people posting in here the past couple months about pulling out and now they just missed a nice 10-20% bump. I’m so close to a mid point in the next big milestone and I’m up 77% YTD in my trading accounts which make up most of my investments. S&P’s up 6.5% YTD. Just feels like I might want to just lock in the gains and wait for a pull back, but the whole can’t time the market thing gets me. Too many stocks I own make huge jumps up and down in one day.

14 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Kohl's popped this morning another 3%.  Just sold  the shares acquired Tuesday afternoon for a 9% profit.  Likely the 5th or 6th time.  

You are a savage at the short game. I think (over analyze) too much to do that.

3 minutes ago, kevzilla said:

I have a half position in UVXY, but it's not down enough to justify doubling down, yet.

Been there before.  Then I make that Full position, a Full-er position...

I bailed on TZA the next morning premarket after the take back comments and ate a few %.  Just can't pull myself to get back in either as I don't trust betting against the markets right now being only weeks away from E-day.  

• Thanks 1