BassNBrew

****The 2017 Carolina Panthers Thread**** - QB Cementing the Building Blocks To Run For Office While Being An Anti-Patriot.

6,299 posts in this topic

Cam makes a dozen throws a game where you could throw your average 10 year old out there and reasonably expect them to come closer to hitting the receiver.

I wish I was exaggerating.

Whatever.. just keep scoring me points in fantasy.

I never liked them playing on Thursday night football.  I think it was last year on Thursday night when Luke went down for the season.  Happened again last night.  Feel so bad for him and wouldn't be surprised if he retired, if it is indeed a concussion.  But keep him as the linebackers coach.  Hope he's ok.

The Eagles have a stout D-line but we still can't protect Cam.  I know he's trying to stay in the pocket but when it is quickly collapsing I wish he'd step up and make plays with his legs more often.  

17 minutes ago, simey said:

Why were the Cats throwing long bombs again and again in the 4th quarter, when there was plenty of time on the clock to dink and dunk and get closer for a TD? They were supposed to stop doing that as much, which I thought is one of the reasons they got McCaffrey. The Eagles were in Cam's face all night, and it was inevitable that those bombs (that looked like hail marys up for grabs) were going to get picked off or just not work. You have a better chance at making a completion with a shorter throw. There were way too many drops by the receivers too. With all that said, nothing concerns me more than Luke having a concussion again. That is scary for him. 

Yeah, that looked like Cam of old.  Just chucking it down field hoping for the best.  Many times last night I found myself asking who the heck is he throwing to.  :(

6 minutes ago, Jayrok said:

I never liked them playing on Thursday night football.  I think it was last year on Thursday night when Luke went down for the season.  Happened again last night.  Feel so bad for him and wouldn't be surprised if he retired, if it is indeed a concussion.  But keep him as the linebackers coach.  Hope he's ok.

The Eagles have a stout D-line but we still can't protect Cam.  I know he's trying to stay in the pocket but when it is quickly collapsing I wish he'd step up and make plays with his legs more often.  

I gotta think he is done.  Why keep risking it like that? 

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, Jayrok said:

Yeah, that looked like Cam of old.  Just chucking it down field hoping for the best.  Many times last night I found myself asking who the heck is he throwing to.  :(

Thats what happens when he gets hit and becomes uncomfortable in the pocket.   Hurney (*gasp*) or whoever needs to make it their lifes mission to draft a suitable oline for him. 

When did Cam turn into Donovan McNabb?  When things aren't going just right he seems to lose confidence and with that, focus as well.  Sprays the ball everywhere.  He's been in the league too long to take sacks to take the team out of FG range.  And too old to waste timeouts by not getting a play off in time.  

JStew didn't help him out much last night.  That INT was killer.  But Cam did look like superman with his end zone dive.  wow.  I get that coach challenged the play, probably having more to do with giving Cam a rest after that dive.  He looked shaken up.  But why waste the TO when you have first and goal inside the one?  Just hand it to Stew 4 times if you have to.  DA could have come in and done that if Cam needed to come out.  

4 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

I gotta think he is done.  Why keep risking it like that? 

Yeah, I fear he is done too.  What a great career, cut short by that injury.  

3 minutes ago, Jayrok said:

When did Cam turn into Donovan McNabb?  When things aren't going just right he seems to lose confidence and with that, focus as well.  Sprays the ball everywhere.  He's been in the league too long to take sacks to take the team out of FG range.  And too old to waste timeouts by not getting a play off in time.  

Cam seems to try to put everything on his shoulders when the team needs to catch up in the fourth quarter, and I wonder if Shula tells him to make some plays and lets Cam call it himself, or is Shula calling for these long throws.  Maybe it is both. With that OL, there is no time to get your body planted and your mind right for a good long pass when you are under duress. When Kalil comes back that should help some with the line, but it won't be enough. Shula also needs to get more creative with McCaffrey. 

40 minutes ago, Jayrok said:

Yeah, I fear he is done too.  What a great career, cut short by that injury.  

Sucks because he was a hofer in the making

9 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Sucks because he was a hofer in the making

First ballot HOF.  I want him to stay and coach the linebackers and start grooming for DC down the road.  

Kuechly can’t keep doing this can he? That was an elbow to the side of the helmet. 

Kuechly is the most depressing thing to come out of that game by far.  I can live with losing to a 4-1 team.  I liked seeking Wilks blitz as much as he did and be aggressive.  Wentz played well - hats off.  When Kuechly left the field though, the entire Panthers D vs. Eagles O dynamic completely changed.  David Mayo =/= Luke Keuchly.

I'm afraid Luke is finished.  Reminds me of Dan Morgan, only Luke was way better.

As for the rest of it ... I know the Eagles D is very good against the run, but their corners are very bad, and Shula couldn't seem to consistently call plays to take advantage of that.  It felt like either a screen to CMC or a 40-yard pass.  The 10-yard outs to Benjamin and Funchess were there all night.  Call an actual SLANT.  It's like Shula gets so caught up in the smoke and mirrors and misdirection he forgets to just play football.  The Patriots are excellent at this.  They find what you can't stop, and they repeatedly hit it again and again and again.  And when you finally dedicate 4 guys to stopping it, they hit you elsewhere.

The other thing -- the OL has been abysmal.  Cam was under pressure all night.  The only runs that worked were when Cam himself did it.  Those are pro-bowl level guards that are in their primes (though i don't think Norwell has made one yet - he's been deserving in the past).  The OTs are awful, and have been awful, and have never been addressed in the draft outside of 4th rounders.  I also wonder if Kalil at C is either slipping due to age or playing hurt, or both.

I hope they bring in the Tennessee guy for the next GM, as I really like how Tennessee built from the trenches out.  Carolina figured that out on D, but the trenches on offense certainly leave something to be desired.

ETA - if they just go with Hurney, I'll lose my mind.

Edited by JFS171

21 minutes ago, JFS171 said:

I also wonder if Kalil at C is either slipping due to age or playing hurt, or both.

Ryan Kalil hasn't played since week 1 due to a neck injury.

4 minutes ago, simey said:

Ryan Kalil hasn't played since week 1 due to a neck injury.

Yeah - totally missed that.  Whiff on my part ... still, Kalil is 32 now.  Probably time to think of a succession plan

1 hour ago, JFS171 said:

ETA - if they just go with Hurney, I'll lose my mind.

Too right.  I hope they replace Shula and Hurney.  

Mike Shula is terrible.... he has been terrible for a long time, yet he is still there.  We have a lot of talent, and he consistently calls runs up the middle on first down when it doesn't work all game.  

1 person likes this

Looks like Luke has passed the protocol and avoided the concussion this time.  Very encouraging news and hopefully a lift for the team.  

With that said, I hope the Panthers sign Bowman.  

6 minutes ago, Jayrok said:

Looks like Luke has passed the protocol and avoided the concussion this time.  Very encouraging news and hopefully a lift for the team.  

With that said, I hope the Panthers sign Bowman.  

:thumbup:

On 10/13/2017 at 0:41 PM, DeaLerZ said:

Mike Shula is terrible.... he has been terrible for a long time, yet he is still there.  We have a lot of talent, and he consistently calls runs up the middle on first down when it doesn't work all game.  

I read that he is the one who dialed up those long bomb throws at the end of the game. I noticed in the game thread that some were blaming Cam for it, but he was just playing what was called.