What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****The 2019 Carolina Panthers Thread**** We Rhule At Losing (2 Viewers)

Stephen hill had a good practice. Maybe commish is on to something here.
If Hill can put it all together he could be a monster. A guy his size running a 4.3 40 is almost unfair.
If things are really going as we are hearing, Bersin is for sure on the outside looking in and Brown might be as well.
Brown had several big catches this week. He has better hands than Ginn though that is a low bar. I think Brown sticks. I think we have Benjamin, Funchess, Hill, Ginn, Brown and Cotchery this season. I know they usually only go with 5 but I think it makes sense to carry 6 this year.
I guess that would also boot Boykin.

The Giants are kicking the tires on Jake Long. What's our cap look like? Should we be looking at him too?
IIRC has has finished the last couple of seasons on IR. Has struggled with various injuries for a while. They are looking at him more as a depth/mentor signing to back Flowers. Given how many teams need tackles the fact that only one has showed any serious interest in the former number 1 pick leads me to believe his health may still be suspect.
He's torn ACL's twice plus some other major injuries. If at all healthy, he's a great player. We're in the same boat as NY and need to be exploring OL possibilities if we have cap room. Not sure what his market or his health is like but I'd be all for kicking the tires. Even if we got only a few games from him on an affordable contract, I'd have to think he'd represent an upgrade over what we're likely to trot out at the tackle positions. I think we need to take a look see.

The Giants are kicking the tires on Jake Long. What's our cap look like? Should we be looking at him too?
IIRC has has finished the last couple of seasons on IR. Has struggled with various injuries for a while. They are looking at him more as a depth/mentor signing to back Flowers. Given how many teams need tackles the fact that only one has showed any serious interest in the former number 1 pick leads me to believe his health may still be suspect.
He's torn ACL's twice plus some other major injuries. If at all healthy, he's a great player. We're in the same boat as NY and need to be exploring OL possibilities if we have cap room. Not sure what his market or his health is like but I'd be all for kicking the tires. Even if we got only a few games from him on an affordable contract, I'd have to think he'd represent an upgrade over what we're likely to trot out at the tackle positions. I think we need to take a look see.
The Panthers, for better or worse, are happy with what they have. We aren't bringing in anyone currently available. Now if a decent vet gets cut to make room for a rookie, and some may, then maybe.

So I felt like Norwell played good last year. But I didn't realize how good. He was the 4th best left guard in the league statistically once he took over. No sacks allowed and only one QB hurry. Amini who?

The Panthers, for better or worse, are happy with what they have. We aren't bringing in anyone currently available. Now if a decent vet gets cut to make room for a rookie, and some may, then maybe.
I more or less agree on that. Jake Long though is a beast. Granted, he's had a heckuva time with injuries. I'd like to have him (not likely) if we could sign him to a vet minimum contract with incentives given for playing time. If he could recover and stay healthy for at least part of the season even, he's going to be a ton better than what we've got.

I more or less agree on that. Jake Long though is a beast. Granted, he's had a heckuva time with injuries. I'd like to have him (not likely) if we could sign him to a vet minimum contract with incentives given for playing time. If he could recover and stay healthy for at least part of the season even, he's going to be a ton better than what we've got.
I read something a while back that claimed his asking price was too high and teams weren't willing to pay it given his injury history. Maybe he has come down or the Giants are in a bad enough spot to pay. But I don't think he's planning to play for vet min.

So the rumors are that Cam is going to sign a 5 year deal worth around 100 million. Slightly more than Tannenhill but likely less than Luck and Wilson will get. By signing a 5 year he gets a chance for one more big contract while still in his prime like Big Ben just did. I would have liked to see a lower yearly average but there was no way Can was taking a Kap deal.

Latest contract rumor is that the contract includes between 45 and 48 million in guaranteed money. That is a lot. I'm thinking Wilson and Luck will like that as a floor level if it's accurate. Tannenhills guarantee ended up being way less than early reports indicated. Although I expect Cam to get more than him regardless.

I had a gut feeling that it wouldn't be the most overall received by a QB, but one of the top contracts of guaranteed money. Now, let's put a bubble around him and keep him safe.

So its 103 million. 31 million this year, 60 million guaranteed. Right in line with Matt Ryan's contract. I would expect it will be surpassed easily by Luck and Wilson.

NCCommish said:
So its 103 million. 31 million this year, 60 million guaranteed. Right in line with Matt Ryan's contract. I would expect it will be surpassed easily by Luck and Wilson.
Gotta do what you gotta do. We picked Cam as our horse with the 1.1 pick, now we have to ride it the whole way. I think Cam has the skills to live up to this contract if he's willing to put in the work to become a top QB.

NCCommish said:
Gotta do what you gotta do. We picked Cam as our horse with the 1.1 pick, now we have to ride it the whole way. I think Cam has the skills to live up to this contract if he's willing to put in the work to become a top QB.
I feel like he will be a top 5 guy by the time this contract is up.

NCCommish said:
I feel like he will be a top 5 guy by the time this contract is up.
So along these lines...

1. Rodgers

2. Luck

3. Wilson

4. Anderson

5. Newton

Casserly (on Total Access) described Newton's contract structure more like Kaepernick's, actually year to year. I haven't read the terms, just passing it along. A graphic stated closer to $31 million guaranteed, not $61 million. He was already set to get about $15 milion this year, so by doubling that (in the form of a roster bonus this year - not sure how that changes the cap hit this year and going forward?), they lock him up for the next five years on their terms, IF THEY WANT TO. Casserly called it very team-friendly and year to year. Not that they would do it, but it sounds like if he regressed terribly this year, next year, they could pull the plug at any year of the next five in the contract, and not be on the hook for the remaining years.

* If Casserly is right, it certainly wouldn't be the first time that the guaranteed money reported on the first day ends up being different than what was initially thought. Pretty sure this was the case with Kaepernick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob Magaw said:
Casserly (on Total Access) described Newton's contract structure more like Kaepernick's, actually year to year. I haven't read the terms, just passing it along. A graphic stated closer to $31 million guaranteed, not $61 million. He was already set to get about $15 milion this year, so by doubling that (in the form of a roster bonus this year - not sure how that changes the cap hit this year and going forward?), they lock him up for the next five years on their terms, IF THEY WANT TO. Casserly called it very team-friendly and year to year. Not that they would do it, but it sounds like if he regressed terribly this year, next year, they could pull the plug at any year of the next five in the contract, and not be on the hook for the remaining years.

* If Casserly is right, it certainly wouldn't be the first time that the guaranteed money reported on the first day ends up being different than what was initially thought. Pretty sure this was the case with Kaepernick.
Was reading Brandt this morning and he says this contract is better than any signed in 2014 including Kap. He also says the guarantee is in the range initially reported. I personally can't believe Bus Cook would do a Kap deal.

It is $31 million guaranteed for skill, $61 million for injury.

By like Kaepernick, I meant the year-to-year part. IF Casserly is right (and again, I didn't vet his critique or see the contract details), it is year-to-year when it comes to the skill guarantee part. Of course, the guaranteed money part on both skill and injury could be a lot better for Cam, which wouldn't surprise me (I'm pretty sure the consensus is Newton's a superior player?).

Kaepernick has a possibly unprecedented deal with freaky de-escalator clauses. I think I read that in 2015, he makes $10 million instead of $12 million because he didn't make All-Pro or the Super Bowl (those would fall into the incentive category, not likely to be earned)? At the time, he said he was betting on himself, but the contract was almost universally panned (in fairness, Brady takes a lot less than market value so the Pats can afford and field a better team around him to further enhance his already first ballot Hall of Fame resume, and that went according to plan in 2014). He was still 1-2 years away from the 49ers being forced to make a hard decision on whether to sign him to a big contract or not, they could have bided their time, and in the interim, he could have been injured. There was also risk his play declined (it kind of did last year) and he could be left on the outside looking in down the road. It was explained that he took more short/mid-term security, at the expense of long term security.

Got a more detailed report on Cams contract. Apparently the whole 60 million is guaranteed in case of injury. However the guarantee works like a roster bonus in the following years. If Cam is on the roster 3 days after the start of the NFL year that year is fully guaranteed. After the 3rd year the guarantees are paid and he has his 60 million + and everything left is year to year salary.

So JStew is going to run his first football camp for kids. He is going to be joined by Smith Sr and Luke. Sounds good. 13 corporate sponsors and it still costs 200 a kid. That doesn't sound so good. That is a full season of Pop Warner with most organizations. With all those sponsors I am having trouble justifying the cost unless this is way more about getting paid than anything else. Which kind of sucks.

I thought this was interesting. It is a film breakdown and analysis of every Cam thrown touchdown last year. Some very interesting numbers come to light about how this offense gets the ball in the end zone. He also does an analysis of all 15 Ints Cam threw in another segment. NFL Breakdowns

So JStew is going to run his first football camp for kids. He is going to be joined by Smith Sr and Luke. Sounds good. 13 corporate sponsors and it still costs 200 a kid. That doesn't sound so good. That is a full season of Pop Warner with most organizations. With all those sponsors I am having trouble justifying the cost unless this is way more about getting paid than anything else. Which kind of sucks.
If it was a soccer camp it would have cost double that. That said, I get your point.

Even though he hasn't hit the field I love what I am hearing about Shaq Thompson. He really seems to have the want to and that is so important for success at this level.

TD gets his extension. 18 million to play through the 2017 season. Should reduce his cap number by 4-5 million. I would hope we rework big money next and then get Luke signed.

Looks like TD is saying this will be his last contract, I couldn't be happier he will retire as a Panther. Shaq has some monstrous shows to fill.

TD gets his extension. 18 million to play through the 2017 season. Should reduce his cap number by 4-5 million. I would hope we rework big money next and then get Luke signed.

Looks like TD is saying this will be his last contract, I couldn't be happier he will retire as a Panther. Shaq has some monstrous shows to fill.
:goodposting:

Released one DB to sign another. They signed Chris Houston and cut Skinner. Houston is a former Falcon and Lion. Had a tough time with a toe injury we'll see how recovered he is I guess.

Hill got the Rivera ascending player award for OTAs. Reports have been up and down all off season. I really hope he puts it together.

Hill got the Rivera ascending player award for OTAs. Reports have been up and down all off season. I really hope he puts it together.
Yeah, hard to tell if he is trying to build his confidence or it is true. If true, he could be a really nice downfield threat with his size and speed. Based on what he has gone through, no idea how mentally tough he is, so this could just be trying to keep him going. FF wise, he won't matter, but NFL wise, he will get single coverage a lot. Ginn did get us 556-5TDs in 2013 as the deep guy, so Hill won't be a FF starter, but he could definitely contribute if he is better than Ginn as a WR. Based on the fluff, I would think he has more potential, but in 2013, Benjamin and Funchess weren't there, so 500-5TD would be a big season. Ginn won't do much as a WR unless Hill flops, but we need him more for returning anyway.

I would like to see Hill get a shot, but I'm not sure how he's going to make the team. Typically we keep five wide receivers. Benjamin, Funchess, and Ginn are all locks, I'd think. Cotchery and Philly Brown are likely close to locks as well. That's five.

Maybe we keep six and he sneaks in, but as much as the fanbase may not like it, Bersin appears to be a favorite of Cams so he's probably ahead of Hill on the depth chart as well right now.

Cotchery getting cut is a possibility, but I think he sticks around for his veteran leadership.

My guess is that if Hill makes the team, we see Bersin get placed on IR with a minor injury during the preseason.

I would like to see Hill get a shot, but I'm not sure how he's going to make the team. Typically we keep five wide receivers. Benjamin, Funchess, and Ginn are all locks, I'd think. Cotchery and Philly Brown are likely close to locks as well. That's five.

Maybe we keep six and he sneaks in, but as much as the fanbase may not like it, Bersin appears to be a favorite of Cams so he's probably ahead of Hill on the depth chart as well right now.

Cotchery getting cut is a possibility, but I think he sticks around for his veteran leadership.

My guess is that if Hill makes the team, we see Bersin get placed on IR with a minor injury during the preseason.
Good post. I am guessing the preseason will bring some clarity. If Hill shows any improvement I think he is worth keep over Jericho.

NCCommish said:
omally said:
I think the best part of it is that they did it quietly. No looking for press coverage and refusing to comment once it became known. To me that says it was about helping, caring and not getting a cheap PR boost.
He doesn't need to publicize it with guys like you carrying his water.

j/k gb. I agree with you.
I still wouldn't have given them one penny for the stadium.

NCCommish said:
omally said:
I think the best part of it is that they did it quietly. No looking for press coverage and refusing to comment once it became known. To me that says it was about helping, caring and not getting a cheap PR boost.

If you think about it that way, WE (Mecklenburg tax payers) gave the money to the families. :bow:

NCCommish said:
omally said:

If you think about it that way, WE (Mecklenburg tax payers) gave the money to the families. :bow:
We are ever so generous.

Jake got inducted into the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame. Such a good guy sucks his time here ended as it did. Glad to see him getting some recognition.

Users who are viewing this thread