What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****The 2019 Carolina Panthers Thread**** We Rhule At Losing (5 Viewers)

It's not a true 34. It's more like the Chicago hybrid version that Ron learned.

Yeah I didn't realize it was from Chicago but I never have seen it where they are in the classic 3 down 4 LBs. Though I haven't seen every snap, missed the entire game Sunday.

Last edited by a moderator:
ball.security

Hope to see Cam back next season.  
Thats the weird thing about the timing of all of this with the surgery or whatnot.  Will they know by April if Cam is (or ever will be) close to 100%.  Because if he still isnt running or doing strenuous activity on his foot I dont see how they dont draft a qb in the first especially given how high their pick is going to be.  

But a best case scenario would be Cam is moving around and its obvious he is going to be good to go by the draft and then we get a true LT and go from there.  I just dont think its going to be that cut and dry though.

Actually my best case scenario would be trade Cam for a 1rst or 2nd, hire lincoln riley and then draft Hurts and see what happens next.  I really want to see what a Lincoln Riley NFL offense would look like.

Well he was awful in the pre-season.  And that is coming from a WVU fan. I can't imagine anyone thinking that he was better than Allen.   Maybe the 2 - 3 months of practice will help and he can put on an Allen level performance or better.

Actually my best case scenario would be trade Cam for a 1rst or 2nd, hire lincoln riley and then draft Hurts and see what happens next.  I really want to see what a Lincoln Riley NFL offense would look like.
IMO, Cam is done. His body has been beat to a pulp and while this might not be the end, the nagging or even season ending injuries are going to be coming fast & furious until he hangs them up. Still not convinced his shoulder is or will ever be right again and now this foot injury. Just think he's spent. If you get a 2nd for him I'd take it and run, can't see anyone overpaying with a first unless it's a really low first.

You're statement plausible but a whole bunch would need to happen for that to occur.

Grier possibly starting?

What's the lowdown here on him for anyone firing up the Indy D?
They should never throw the ball again. It should be a steady diet of Christian McCaffrey runs and dump offs. They should have quit throwing yesterday but Allen moved the ball downfield a couple of times so they gave him some rope. He's just not good enough to sustain it. Should have force fed CC the ball, he was running well again yesterday.

If they were smart they would shut down Cmac for the year.  No sense in trotting him out for nothing.

I think Grier starting is going to be the final nail in the coffin for hurney.  It will expose just how bad he is.    I will say again, anyone that watched WG in college could plainly see that he is not a NFL qb.  It was all about his offense.  And as we saw in the preseason the kid is just not accurate.  What a waste of (another) 3rd rd pick.

This will be one interesting draft in April for sure.  Franchise defining IMO.

I wouldn't mind them shutting CMC down now.  Unless he's trying to break/set a record or something.  He doesn't have a chance at MVP, unfortunately.  Shut Luke down too. 

The only effective offense they've had lately is the misdirection, gadget type plays.  Jet sweeps, reverses.  Catch the defense guessing.  But that isn't going to win consistently or win playoff games. We have some good weapons but could really use a stud WR that can separate and high point balls.  That isn't Samuel and, at times, DJ can't get open.    

If they were smart they would shut down Cmac for the year.  No sense in trotting him out for nothing.

I think Grier starting is going to be the final nail in the coffin for hurney.  It will expose just how bad he is.    I will say again, anyone that watched WG in college could plainly see that he is not a NFL qb.  It was all about his offense.  And as we saw in the preseason the kid is just not accurate.  What a waste of (another) 3rd rd pick.

This will be one interesting draft in April for sure.  Franchise defining IMO.
The offseason is going to be interesting.  Finding a good GM would be a good start (not Gettlemen!). So many needs to address in the draft and otherwise. 

Give me one reason that I shouldnt think we are the clubhouse leaders for tanking for Trevor?

Our offensive line is just brutal and no help on the horizon.  Our defensive line is just as bad and hopefully KK can help correct it. 

If we dont grab one of the top LT prospects this season I may simply lose my mind.  Its a loaded class and we will be in position to get one but who am I kidding we will probably draft herbert instead

Give me one reason that I shouldnt think we are the clubhouse leaders for tanking for Trevor?

Our offensive line is just brutal and no help on the horizon.  Our defensive line is just as bad and hopefully KK can help correct it. 

If we dont grab one of the top LT prospects this season I may simply lose my mind.  Its a loaded class and we will be in position to get one but who am I kidding we will probably draft herbert instead
1.  I have no problem with this. 

2.  OL should be the focus of the top half of this draft.  Hope they don't draft Herbert with their first pick.  

1.  I have no problem with this. 

2.  OL should be the focus of the top half of this draft.  Hope they don't draft Herbert with their first pick.  
I dont think Herbert is that bad albeit I have only watch a handful of games, its just that any qb is going to fail behind that line.  Draft line, sign a vet or trot WG out there for a season and build the team first then get your qb

This is where I am too. Grab a top left tackle and bookend him with Moton (who has played well) on the right side. Build a foundation. 

DAG said:
Some speculation from SI that Hurney could go w Rivera to Washington if that all goes down. Doesn’t seem like much more than speculation, but ‘it’s the season. 
No way we’re that lucky. Article also says Washington could wait until after the draft to hire a GM, which seems like a great way to screw up a draft. 

• Smile
Reactions: DAG
So who are the top candidates in your mind?  Who do you want as the next Panthers HC (either of those mentioned as Panthers targets or other candidates)?

I *think* my list currently is as follows:
Eberfleus
McDaniels
Rhule
Bieniemy
Saleh

McCarthy

pantherclub said:
So are we all in agreement that will grier sucks?  Because he does. 
That was very very bad, regardless of how bad the offensive line was. Yikes. Sure wish we had that third round pick back.

So who are the top candidates in your mind?  Who do you want as the next Panthers HC (either of those mentioned as Panthers targets or other candidates)?

I *think* my list currently is as follows:
Eberfleus
McDaniels
Rhule
Bieniemy
Saleh

McCarthy
Yes to all of the above and to your placement of McCarthy. Im a little iffy on McDaniels...

I’m glad to see the reports that we’ll be interviewing Bieniemy. I hope he gets a serious look. 

pantherclub said:
So are we all in agreement that will grier sucks?  Because he does. 
Yes.  The fact that once Allen came in they immediately started to move the ball.  He isn't the long term answer either, imo.  But Grier certainly isn't.  

DAG said:
Some speculation from SI that Hurney could go w Rivera to Washington if that all goes down. Doesn’t seem like much more than speculation, but ‘it’s the season. 
Man, I hope so!  We need a fresh start but not just with a HC.  Hurney needs to be replaced too.  

Yes to all of the above and to your placement of McCarthy. Im a little iffy on McDaniels...

I’m glad to see the reports that we’ll be interviewing Bieniemy. I hope he gets a serious look. 
I actually think McDaniels would be a home run. I know he failed in Denver, but that was nearly a decade ago and he had full control of everything. The Patriots lack talent on offense and he keeps finding ways to score. Plus Nick Caserio is rumored to be McDaniels’ choice of front office addition to wherever he goes, and Caserio has been the de facto assistant GM in NE for a long time. 

They could do a lot worse IMO. 

I also wouldn’t mind seeing Joe Brady get an interview as HC. 

Yes.  The fact that once Allen came in they immediately started to move the ball.  He isn't the long term answer either, imo.  But Grier certainly isn't.  
1.5 games in your first season seems early for career judgement. Allen better be better he has more starts and more time in the system. Regardless that will get hashed out at camp.

Now we have to think about free agent signings. We have several want to keeps. Addison, Bradberry, Turner probably top that list. That isnt going to be cheap. Cam is relatively cheap but we could use that money. Sonething has to give.

While we pick 7th in the draft the only 2 QB prospects worth that high a pick should be long gone. Maybe we trade back for more picks. Maybe we take Lamb at 7 and add another elite talent to compliment CMC. The draft is really deep for Oline not sure you need to use a first rounder to get a good player.

But this all really revolves around Cam. Will he be healthy and be Superman? Or will he be a guy with a big arm and accuracy issues that now can't run? Do you try to trade him for draft picks? Do you cut him? Do you give him a season to prove it knowing if he is 100% and plays well you are looking at Russell Wilson money? This is going to be quite the ride this offseason. 

1.5 games in your first season seems early for career judgement. Allen better be better he has more starts and more time in the system. Regardless that will get hashed out at camp.

Now we have to think about free agent signings. We have several want to keeps. Addison, Bradberry, Turner probably top that list. That isnt going to be cheap. Cam is relatively cheap but we could use that money. Sonething has to give.

While we pick 7th in the draft the only 2 QB prospects worth that high a pick should be long gone. Maybe we trade back for more picks. Maybe we take Lamb at 7 and add another elite talent to compliment CMC. The draft is really deep for Oline not sure you need to use a first rounder to get a good player.

But this all really revolves around Cam. Will he be healthy and be Superman? Or will he be a guy with a big arm and accuracy issues that now can't run? Do you try to trade him for draft picks? Do you cut him? Do you give him a season to prove it knowing if he is 100% and plays well you are looking at Russell Wilson money? This is going to be quite the ride this offseason. 
You're right.  Don't want to cut Grier for what he's done so far.  Camp will give him time to grow.  

I wouldn't cut Cam.  I still vote for seeing what he can get back to next season.  But the thought of him commanding Russell Wilson money scares me.  If they could get some picks for him I wouldn't mind trading him.  The offseason is going to be a ride for sure.  Hoping he hits a HR with the coaching hire.  

Christian MAC all pro.  Very nice and well deserved.

New coach:  Warming up to the idea of Bieniemy or McDaniels.  Not sure about Rhule at this point.  

Draft:  I do not want the Panthers to go QB with the first round pick.  Want to see Cam on the field next season and go from there.  Not sold on Tua (mobility/health) or Herbert (decision making/ability to read defense). None of them are better than what we already have. 

I think we should go OL or DB in the first. 

I doubt Okudah will be there at #7 but it would be great if he is.  

OT - Andrew Thomas, Austin Jackson

Safety - Isaiah Simmons, Grant Delpit

DT - Derrick Brown

WR - Guessing Jeudy will be gone. CeeDee Lamb

I'd be okay with Thomas but I would vote for defensive back, best athlete.  Short will be back and we have a decent mix of DL/DE.  A safety who can not only provide run-stop but can defend WR down field. 

I'd like to see them get Isaiah Simmons.  He plays all over the field.  Can play safety, can cover the slot receiver and can play LB.  Very good at blitzing off the edge as well.  One of the best athletes in the draft and can fill more than one need for our defense.  

Christian MAC all pro.  Very nice and well deserved.

New coach:  Warming up to the idea of Bieniemy or McDaniels.  Not sure about Rhule at this point.  

Draft:  I do not want the Panthers to go QB with the first round pick.  Want to see Cam on the field next season and go from there.  Not sold on Tua (mobility/health) or Herbert (decision making/ability to read defense). None of them are better than what we already have. 

I think we should go OL or DB in the first. 

I doubt Okudah will be there at #7 but it would be great if he is.  

OT - Andrew Thomas, Austin Jackson

Safety - Isaiah Simmons, Grant Delpit

DT - Derrick Brown

WR - Guessing Jeudy will be gone. CeeDee Lamb

I'd be okay with Thomas but I would vote for defensive back, best athlete.  Short will be back and we have a decent mix of DL/DE.  A safety who can not only provide run-stop but can defend WR down field. 

I'd like to see them get Isaiah Simmons.  He plays all over the field.  Can play safety, can cover the slot receiver and can play LB.  Very good at blitzing off the edge as well.  One of the best athletes in the draft and can fill more than one need for our defense.  
1. Thomas 1b. Brown

No wr please, we need line help in a big way.  Build the line and get everything ready for the new qb in 2021 whether that is Trevor or whoever. 

1. Thomas 1b. Brown

No wr please, we need line help in a big way.  Build the line and get everything ready for the new qb in 2021 whether that is Trevor or whoever. 
I'm okay with Thomas.  Not as optimistic about Brown.  Not that he isn't a good pick, I just think we need OL help more.  The only way we're getting Trevor is we tank or trade up in next year's draft. 

I'm okay with Thomas.  Not as optimistic about Brown.  Not that he isn't a good pick, I just think we need OL help more.  The only way we're getting Trevor is we tank or trade up in next year's draft. 
Oh we tanking brother.  Rumors now is that cam isn't going to play without a new deal so that leaves allen and wg.  Personally I hope we don't sign someone like Marcus Mariota or dalton.   I mean what's the use at that point.  Trying to win 7 games?  Just tank for trevor or fields.   Or pick fromm in the 2nd

Oh we tanking brother.  Rumors now is that cam isn't going to play without a new deal so that leaves allen and wg.  Personally I hope we don't sign someone like Marcus Mariota or dalton.   I mean what's the use at that point.  Trying to win 7 games?  Just tank for trevor or fields.   Or pick fromm in the 2nd
If that's the case I hope we trade Cam for picks.  I don't want to sign Mariota or especially Dalton (wow).  Don't want Brady for one season.  Just ride with Allen and build the team for the future QB.  Not sure I want Fromm, but if he were there in the 3rd...  

I like Fields but I'd rather have Trevor hands down, no question.  

I don't see Tepper wanting to tank. I hope he doesn't. I wouldn't want to be a PSL owner, and pay to watch a game where my team wants to lose. As for Cam, I don't take much stock in rumors.  Anyway, Bieniemy said in his interview last week that he would like to work with Cam. If Cam does leave, maybe they go after Teddy, he is a UFA. 

I don't see Tepper wanting to tank. I hope he doesn't. I wouldn't want to be a PSL owner, and pay to watch a game where my team wants to lose. As for Cam, I don't take much stock in rumors.  Anyway, Bieniemy said in his interview last week that he would like to work with Cam. If Cam does leave, maybe they go after Teddy, he is a UFA. 
Its not about wanting to tank it is just what this roster is set up to do. 

I don't think the roster is that bad. Not like it was when the team was gutted for Fox's last year as HC. 
Dont kid yourself, this roster is is disarray.   Our offensive and defensive line is lacking major talent, the defensive backfield is a joke and that doesnt even address the qb position.  As it stands now, this is one of the worst teams in the NFL.

I honest to God hope we dont try and sign one of these vet qbs just to try and compete to win 8 games.  Have a plan in place and do it.  If it involves building a line this year through a draft and then losing a lot of games to get a good qb next year then so be it.  At least have a plan that doesnt involve a retread vet qb

Dont kid yourself, this roster is is disarray.   
I don't think the roster is that bad where they can't better the team via the draft and free agency.  The biggest question, I think, is what are they going to do at the QB position. If they go with Allen or Grier, it will probably not be pretty. If they keep Cam for his last year, and he is 100%, maybe they will be competitive. They need a HC first.

I don't think the roster is that bad where they can't better the team via the draft and free agency.  The biggest question, I think, is what are they going to do at the QB position. If they go with Allen or Grier, it will probably not be pretty. If they keep Cam for his last year, and he is 100%, maybe they will be competitive. They need a HC first.
I am curious as to why you think this roster is good (or not that bad however you want to phrase it)?  We have a ton of free agents and that is coming off a one of the historically bad run defenses in the history of the NFL.  We started a freaking 6th round pick at left tackle to end the season.  We have no oline depth.  Just wondering where you are seeing talent on this team.  DJ moore is good, Cmac obviously, Luke is declining, Turner is steady as is moton.   I never have been impressed with Shaq and our safeties are LOL funny.  Olsen is probably gone as is D Williams, McCoy, Irvin and our center was one of the worst in the league.

We have so many holes that its going to take a few drafts to build depth.

I know I am higher on Fromm then pretty much anyone but I would love to get Thomas at 7 and then Fromm in the 2nd and build from there but I doubt Fromm gets past NE at 23.  He just seems like a Bill B type player

Does Tua's decision to enter the draft change anything for us at 7?  I still hope they do not draft a QB in the first.  OT or DB/S for me.  

Does Tua's decision to enter the draft change anything for us at 7?  I still hope they do not draft a QB in the first.  OT or DB/S for me.  
Most certainly pushes a player down to us.  Probably Brown if the Giants dont take him.  Still holding out hope for Thomas.

Nothing against Tua but after the past few seasons and being on pins and needles with Cams injury I really dont want a 2.0 version of that with Tua. 

Most certainly pushes a player down to us.  Probably Brown if the Giants dont take him.  Still holding out hope for Thomas.

Nothing against Tua but after the past few seasons and being on pins and needles with Cams injury I really dont want a 2.0 version of that with Tua. 
Agreed. I want no part of Tua and I think he's a fine QB.  I didn't think he was that mobile in college.  He throws a beautiful ball and is accurate but I'd worry about his scrambling ability. And the NFL is much faster.  Would like to see him go to the phins but hope that doesn't push Herbert down to us.  Don't want him either.  

Agreed. I want no part of Tua and I think he's a fine QB.  I didn't think he was that mobile in college.  He throws a beautiful ball and is accurate but I'd worry about his scrambling ability. And the NFL is much faster.  Would like to see him go to the phins but hope that doesn't push Herbert down to us.  Don't want him either.  
IMO it would a huge franchise blunder to draft a qb at 7 without addressing the line first.  That has ruined careers of promising qb's by throwing them out there without any protection which is exactly what they would be doing.   My gut still is holding out hope that Cam can come back but my head says he is done in Carolina for some reason.  If that is the case, then like I said earlier, then its a total rebuild and nobody should be safe.  Put everyone on the market to see whats out there.

I share @pantherclub's mindset about treating this as a rebuild; like he writes, what's the point of having a 6 or 7 win team next season? The only way I could see a different outcome is if Cam comes back fully health and still has his his legs, which seems unlikely given the current injury plus the accumulation of injuries. The practicalities of doing a rebuild are a little tough because there are some good pieces in place, but it would seem to begin with moving on from Cam (as much as I hate to write that). If reports on Cam are more positive, then I could see the team going with him for another year and then re-evaluating. 

As for the draft, I'd love to see a LT though if Tua being in the draft drops a top DB to 7 I could wee going that route. I prefer LT overall.

On Tua, it seems I'm higher on him than most. When healthy he's very mobile in the pocket and he has good wheels. He wasn't very mobile this year because of the injuries (especially the ankle before his major hip injury). Obviously the medical evaluation is key and there's a lot of risk. I could see passing on him if he fell to their pick (I don't think he will). But I really like him as an NFL prospect.

Users who are viewing this thread