What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****The 2019 Carolina Panthers Thread**** We Rhule At Losing (2 Viewers)

Barring a trade he's not going anywhere until next season earliest. We get no real relief cutting him this year and we lose a guy who can still produce.
If he is designated as a post-June 1st cute, Panthers save 3.4m against this year's cap.
But this year there is 9.6 million in dead money associated with his contract. So if we wait we skip that and get 9.2 million in relief if we cut him next year is my understanding.

Hypothetically if DWill gets cut or traded what can we expect from Tauren Poole when Stewart gets hurt
He'll look good on the scout team while Barner is starting.
I'm sure Barner likes to hear that but I don't know. I don't think he is here to be the 20 touches a game back. I think he is going to be in certain packages that hopefully create mismatches. Maybe even line him up in the slot some. But I don't think he will be the main guy.

Hypothetically if DWill gets cut or traded what can we expect from Tauren Poole when Stewart gets hurt
I'm sure Barner likes to hear that but I don't know. I don't think he is here to be the 20 touches a game back. I think he is going to be in certain packages that hopefully create mismatches. Maybe even line him up in the slot some. But I don't think he will be the main guy.
It's been years since we've had a 20+ type of back or a main guy. With Tolbert around, if it came down to Barner/Poole, I could see Barner getting more touches.

It's been years since we've had a 20+ type of back or a main guy. With Tolbert around, if it came down to Barner/Poole, I could see Barner getting more touches.
I guess with Shula as OC and some of the offseason commentary from Rivera and Gettleman I expect a little more traditional offense. Not totally jettisoning everything Chud came up with but I bet you see a lot less option and a lot more power running.

I guess with Shula as OC and some of the offseason commentary from Rivera and Gettleman I expect a little more traditional offense. Not totally jettisoning everything Chud came up with but I bet you see a lot less option and a lot more power running.
They only have $40+ million tied up in the backfield...no reason to think we'll see more power running ;)

How bout any news on Joe Adams development?

Im sure with Ginn in the fold, Little Joe's return game "prowess" will most likely not be on display... That could be good or bad ;)

Does anybody think he has a chance to contribute much as a WR this yr or will he not even get a shot? Is he that raw or does he just s uck?

Im sure with Ginn in the fold, Little Joe's return game "prowess" will most likely not be on display... That could be good or bad ;)

Does anybody think he has a chance to contribute much as a WR this yr or will he not even get a shot? Is he that raw or does he just s uck?
Gettleman has said Adams is in the mix and has been working hard. People need to remember Ginn is a rental he only signed for one year.

Jordan Gross has started doing a podcast. It called "That's Gross with" whoever the player is. First one was Steve Smith, second was Jon Beason. They were both pretty good. Not really about the game per se more about the person and the life of a football player. You can find them on Panthers.com under new audio if interested.

Gettleman has said Adams is in the mix and has been working hard. People need to remember Ginn is a rental he only signed for one year.
Awesome... I have him in a return yardage league (dynasty)

do you have a link?

Is there a story on why Robert Lester wasn't drafted? Seems like a good pickup without having to use a draft pick.

Awesome... I have him in a return yardage league (dynasty)

do you have a link?
I believe I heard him say it during his radio interview the other day. Check WFNZ for a recording of the interview.

Is there a story on why Robert Lester wasn't drafted? Seems like a good pickup without having to use a draft pick.
There are knocks on his ability to cover at this level. He has stiff hips, loses a step changing direction, may not have the athleticism to play center field in the NFL, not a great tackler and suffers by comparison to Mark Barron.

The Panthers signed eight of the participants to their 90-man roster, giving them the opportunity to move forward with the team as offseason workouts continue. The team inked defensive tackle Linden Gaydosh, wide receivers Brenton Bersin, Taulib Ikharo (pictured) and R.J. Webb, tight end Logan Brock, center Brian Folkerts, linebacker Ben Jacobs and defensive end Louis Nzegwu.

Also on Monday, the Panthers waived a pair of veterans – defensive end Thomas Keiser and offensive lineman Zack Williams – as well as undrafted rookie free agents Damario Jeffery and Trey Diller.
I guess the biggest name amongst the signees is Linden Gaydosh. He was the first overall pick in the CFL draft this year. Still he will be a project player at least to start as he has always played Canadian style football. He is 6'3 and weighs 305 and apparently is very athletic . If you compare his CFL combine stats to the NFL combine he would have performed very near the top. So who knows maybe he sticks and really shows something.

Sorry to see Keiser go as I was rooting for the guy.

The Panthers signed eight of the participants to their 90-man roster, giving them the opportunity to move forward with the team as offseason workouts continue. The team inked defensive tackle Linden Gaydosh, wide receivers Brenton Bersin, Taulib Ikharo (pictured) and R.J. Webb, tight end Logan Brock, center Brian Folkerts, linebacker Ben Jacobs and defensive end Louis Nzegwu.

Also on Monday, the Panthers waived a pair of veterans – defensive end Thomas Keiser and offensive lineman Zack Williams – as well as undrafted rookie free agents Damario Jeffery and Trey Diller.
I guess the biggest name amongst the signees is Linden Gaydosh. He was the first overall pick in the CFL draft this year. Still he will be a project player at least to start as he has always played Canadian style football. He is 6'3 and weighs 305 and apparently is very athletic . If you compare his CFL combine stats to the NFL combine he would have performed very near the top. So who knows maybe he sticks and really shows something.

did Lester get cut?

did Lester get cut?
Not that I am aware. This was about the tryout players the Panthers invited to camp.

gotcha thanks

My gut says that Lester will be a pretty good NFL player. Just a hunch I have after watching him at bama.
I was listening to the Panthers Pulse show about rookie camp and they were saying Lester looked good amongst others. They seemed to think he had a good chance to catch on and were still talking about how surprised they were he dropped given what they'd seen. They also seemed impressed with our pickup from Canada. And they were very high on Barner. Seems like he really showed out.

DeAngelo Williams - RB - Panthers
A source tells Yahoo that DeAngelo Williams and the Panthers have agreed to a contract restructure.
The deal ensures that Williams will be on the team in 2013 in some kind of timeshare role behind Jonathan Stewart. The restructure saves Carolina $3.2 million off this year's cap without reducing Williams' total compensation, but it does slash his salary drastically in 2014 and 2015. At age 30, he didn't have much of a choice. Williams has fallen behind Stewart over the last two seasons, averaging just 10.2 carries per game.

Gettleman said we could keep both and it looks like they are determined to do so. Of course that may also make Williams a little more attractive for trade offers with the big salary cut. Maybe they can get Hardy extended now with a reasonable contract. I'm afraid if he has another year like last year before we get him locked in his price is going to be too high for us.

Gettleman said we could keep both and it looks like they are determined to do so. Of course that may also make Williams a little more attractive for trade offers with the big salary cut. Maybe they can get Hardy extended now with a reasonable contract. I'm afraid if he has another year like last year before we get him locked in his price is going to be too high for us.
New boss certainly isn't the old boss. That is appearing to be a good thing so far. Very impressed with how quickly he's getting things done. I think they are now $8ish million under the cap now?? Hard to believe.

The Commish said:
New boss certainly isn't the old boss. That is appearing to be a good thing so far. Very impressed with how quickly he's getting things done. I think they are now $8ish million under the cap now?? Hard to believe.
Yeah I think Gettleman has done really well considering the mess that was the Panthers situation. Being patient, making good moves and not trying to solve every problem at once which usually means you don't solve any. I hope JR is going to give him some time. It's going to take at least 2-3 years to really get us on an even footing money wise. And really in way it may be good. The Falcons are going to be pretty old as a team in a couple of years. Brees contract is really starting to weigh on NO and the moves it can make. And TB may well need a new QB unless things get a lot better there. We may be rounding into shape about the time the rest of the conference is in rebuild mode. We need to see improvement before then obviously but still maybe we can establish a little dominance not far down the road.

Really already has. If you look at the numbers he has produced in his first two years he is in some HOF company. Unfortunately for him the defense was just not good enough last year to hold on to leads. Just a handful of games we hold the late lead, he isn't getting overlooked, he racks up some game winning drives and we go double digit wins. I think anyone writing him off or thinking he has been surpassed isn't really paying attention or is still clinging to some kind of animosity.

I will quibble with Pat on a couple of things. I think Kaepernick has a very good arm. I saw some throws that were pretty impressive. I haven't seen RG3 play much, and when I did I think he was already a bit banged up, but he looked to have a pretty good arm as well. I think Pat underrated them both in this area.

Was just watching an interview with Mike Tolbert. He said Shula made it clear there was going to be an increased emphasis on running the ball this year. He was quite happy about what he heard. They got the RB's to do it, it will come down to the line.

This is encouraging for our secondary and hopefully our front office struck gold by quickly signing Lester.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/05/20/4053434/five-key-questions-facing-carolina.html

Despite cutting top cornerback Chris Gamble, the Panthers did not use a draft pick on a defensive back. Panthers general manager Dave Gettleman added several pieces in free agency, and picked up a couple of intriguing undrafted prospects in Alabama safety Robert Lester and Louisiana Lafayette corner Melvin White.

Lester, who won two national titles with the Crimson Tide, looked good in the rookie minicamp, and could challenge at the up-for-grabs safety spot opposite Charles Godfrey.
Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/05/20/4053434/five-key-questions-facing-carolina.html#storylink=cpy

All our draft picks are now signed. Not sure why it took this long as the process is pretty mechanical with the rookie cap. But it's done and we can move to other considerations.

Was just watching an interview with Mike Tolbert. He said Shula made it clear there was going to be an increased emphasis on running the ball this year. He was quite happy about what he heard. They got the RB's to do it, it will come down to the line.
from Rotoworld:

Panthers FB Mike Tolbert promises the team will take a more run-heavy approach under new offensive playcaller Mike Shula.
The Panthers ran a "deception" offense for the first half of 2012, basing their entire formula on shotgun plays and read-option. The offense took off in the second half when more base runs were incorporated, and Carolina won four of its final six games including a 30-20 victory over Atlanta in Week 14. "I can't wait," said Tolbert. "In the running back room, we rejoiced when (Shula) said we're going to run the ball. That's one thing we're gonna do."

Source: panthers.com

New Jordan Gross podcast up. This one is with Star. It gives some personal background on Star and is a pretty good interview.

Curious what everyone thinks about the DST in terms of fantasy production.

They're obviously flying way under the radar, and a lot of the matchups won't do them many favors this year. That said, with Star and Short manning the middle, the front 7 should now have the goods to stop the run. Johnson and Kraken will get plenty of sacks, and the LB corps stacks up with anyone in the game.

So, you've got run stopping ability and the ability to pressure the QB, which leaves the obvious question of how many yards through the air will they give up, and how much will that hurt them.

I could see them as a sleeper defense this year in terms of TOs and sacks, but I bet they give up some scoring as well. The late season surge was quite encouraging, however. And Ginn can only help the previously mediocre return games...

Thoughts?

They're obviously flying way under the radar, and a lot of the matchups won't do them many favors this year. That said, with Star and Short manning the middle, the front 7 should now have the goods to stop the run. Johnson and Kraken will get plenty of sacks, and the LB corps stacks up with anyone in the game.

So, you've got run stopping ability and the ability to pressure the QB, which leaves the obvious question of how many yards through the air will they give up, and how much will that hurt them.

I could see them as a sleeper defense this year in terms of TOs and sacks, but I bet they give up some scoring as well. The late season surge was quite encouraging, however. And Ginn can only help the previously mediocre return games...

Thoughts?
Very underated in most typically scoring systems. Secondary will get torched.

Thoughts?
Very underated in most typically scoring systems. Secondary will get torched.
Maybe, but the Dline is really sick so that might lesson the damage. But yeah the secondary is def the weakest link on this team by a country mile.

So the first pre-season game is in the books.

On the offensive side both Cam and DA made stupid throws, And DA looked like he has lost his fastball. All of his passes seemed to float to me. Clausen will never have elite arm strength but he has picked up some zip on the routes he can throw. Still I can't see him staying past his rookie contract, wrong arm for this offense. Even with the fumble issues Barner looked good. Ran stronger than I expected. Knew he had the speed wasn't sure he had the punch. And finally it appears Armanti is more than a camp hero. Made some nice catches. Ginn saw lots of targets but they were mostly poor throws. Who sticks in the WR room just got a lot more interesting. Hixon better get on the field or he may never get the chance. New tight end Brandon Williams made a nice catch, with his basketball experience he may be something to watch in the red zone. All in all not horrible but still more work to be done here.

On the defensive side the guys looked good. Star looked strong while KK looked a little lost to me. But then they spend so much of a preseason game on the sidelines I may have missed some stuff. And there is no doubt Norman started making his case. His problem wasn't talent it was freelancing that got him sat. If he can stay inside the defense the guy can start. People have been writing off the secondary. I'm not sure they should. May not be elite but they may not have to be. Not when you are getting 7 sacks in a game. I thought the safeties played well. The defense is definitely ahead of the offense but that isn't surprising at this point in the season.

A win is a win even when it doesn't count.

How many Luke Kuechly's do we have starting on the field at the same time?

LOL and that bogus penalty and he proceeds to pick off the pass on the very next play.

Defense was good for 35+ ff points tonite. Helped me win my playoff game in the uber-elite high stakes pre-season league.

My fears are coming to fruition or so it appears. I really hope the lack of creativity on offense was by design and a ploy "not to show all their cards". The offensive line is going to be painful to watch if this continues which means more :hophead: bagging on Cam for no real reason. I'm kinda disappointed his accuracy hasn't improved (or so it appears). I know it's the preseason and I'm not jumping off any bridges, but I'd like to have seen at least a glimpse of something new.

My fears are coming to fruition or so it appears. I really hope the lack of creativity on offense was by design and a ploy "not to show all their cards". The offensive line is going to be painful to watch if this continues which means more :hophead: bagging on Cam for no real reason. I'm kinda disappointed his accuracy hasn't improved (or so it appears). I know it's the preseason and I'm not jumping off any bridges, but I'd like to have seen at least a glimpse of something new.
I think the offensive sluggishness is about a few things. First vanilla play calling. There are plays we know they are going to run this year that we haven't seen at all. I don't think we have seen the offense they will be calling. Two the O-line. Oh my god it keeps getting worse. I hope and pray someone cuts a decent guard and/or right tackle. We have got to do something with the right side of the line. It's one big turnstile. Three got to hold on to the damn ball. At least two catches that would have put the Panthers in a red zone position were dropped. This hurt Cam's numbers and bogged down the offense.

But man Luke is for real. Star looks like who we hoped he'd be against a good O line. KK has looked good each of the last two weeks. And Ginn did what Ginn does. It's nice to have a return threat again.

I think the offensive sluggishness is about a few things. First vanilla play calling. There are plays we know they are going to run this year that we haven't seen at all. I don't think we have seen the offense they will be calling. Two the O-line. Oh my god it keeps getting worse. I hope and pray someone cuts a decent guard and/or right tackle. We have got to do something with the right side of the line. It's one big turnstile. Three got to hold on to the damn ball. At least two catches that would have put the Panthers in a red zone position were dropped. This hurt Cam's numbers and bogged down the offense.

But man Luke is for real. Star looks like who we hoped he'd be against a good O line. KK has looked good each of the last two weeks. And Ginn did what Ginn does. It's nice to have a return threat again.
I am (still) incredibly optimistic about this season especially since the defense looks legit. Yeah the offense looks horrendous but like you said there were like 3 drops at critical points that would have made the offense look much better. A couple of the running plays were just blown up from the word go. That is concerning. Cam still likes to run and still has an howitzer for an arm. With this defense I still think 10 wins is attainable.

Agree on Luke and the defense, but that front seven can't have a bad game. But back to offense for a second. What was up with Barner just standing back there with Cam? Is that all Shula knows to do with him or is this another case of not showing all the cards? I really don't see this kid making an impact in the NFL until he gains A LOT of mass. He can't figure out who to block and if he does, they swat him away like a gnat.

The Commish said:

Agree on Luke and the defense, but that front seven can't have a bad game. But back to offense for a second. What was up with Barner just standing back there with Cam? Is that all Shula knows to do with him or is this another case of not showing all the cards? I really don't see this kid making an impact in the NFL until he gains A LOT of mass. He can't figure out who to block and if he does, they swat him away like a gnat.
I think they are going use Barner with swing passes, pitches, screens maybe an occasional slot line up. Stuff to get him in space. But he did show some power last week pushing defenders into the end zone.

Love watching Kuechly play defense. He has great instincts and is always around the ball. I hope he doesn't play next week. Also hope Beason stays healthy.

I hope you are right about the vanilla play calling. I'm worried about Shula. But LaFell has to catch those balls. Why is it so difficult for this team to find a second WR?

The Commish said:

I think they are going use Barner with swing passes, pitches, screens maybe an occasional slot line up. Stuff to get him in space. But he did show some power last week pushing defenders into the end zone.
Yeah, I don't think he's far behind when it comes to actually running the ball....all the other stuff though? He looks lost and ineffective. That's a problem for obvious reasons and if I were an opposing defense I'd take note of him being in the game and assume what you just posted altering defense accordingly.

The other thing I am wondering is if coach and GM are on the same page with regards to the O-line. If they aren't and GM is planning for the future, I think there is little chance they get O-line help unless it's someone they can get REALLY cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread