What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Rob Gronkowski, TB (3 Viewers)

Thoughts on Gronk's performance tonight?

Through 9 games Carolina has allowed 380 yards, 4 TDs, 42 receptions, and 9.05 yards per catch to opposing tight ends.

They are right in the middle of the pack with regard to defense against tight ends.

Does Vereen open up the game for Gronk? Can he be defensed? Does he have the ability to produce a couple of TDs and 100 yards against a strong Carolina D?

Thoughts on Gronk's performance tonight?

Through 9 games Carolina has allowed 380 yards, 4 TDs, 42 receptions, and 9.05 yards per catch to opposing tight ends.

They are right in the middle of the pack with regard to defense against tight ends.

Does Vereen open up the game for Gronk? Can he be defensed? Does he have the ability to produce a couple of TDs and 100 yards against a strong Carolina D?
I think they started strong vs. TE's because of a favorable opposing TE schedule. They've been bad lately.

I really can't believe no one brought up Gronk's racist comments. I guess people dismiss it as Gronk being Gronk.
He did get a pass on that.

I think it's a combination of being relatively minor on the scale of these things, and the fact that Gronk's persona makes it seem likely it was more out of ingnorance than malice.

MoveToSkypager said:
VikingFrog said:
ConnSKINS26 said:
What racist comments?
http://tracking.si.com/2013/11/12/rob-gronkowski-mocks-asian-fan/

Really nothing too bad. But you gotta be smart when you are a public figure.
Same level as Fuzzy Zoeller's stuff about Tiger Woods.
I don't want to defend Gronk since he was wrong, but I really don't think it's the same. A liquored up Zoeller decided to let the world know via national TV that he didn't like a black kid winning the Masters -- and there was venom in it.

Based on his previous work I think it's more likely Gronk thought he was being witty -- Asian, peanut oil, gettit?!, gettit?!, HARHARHAR, YO. SOY. FIESTA. -- than he meant the kid ill.

MoveToSkypager said:
VikingFrog said:
ConnSKINS26 said:
What racist comments?

I don't want to defend Gronk since he was wrong, but I really don't think it's the same. A liquored up Zoeller decided to let the world know via national TV that he didn't like a black kid winning the Masters -- and there was venom in it.

Based on his previous work I think it's more likely Gronk thought he was being witty -- Asian, peanut oil, gettit?!, gettit?!, HARHARHAR, YO. SOY. FIESTA. -- than he meant the kid ill.
I think you might be remembering the Fuzzy/Tiger event differently. Fuzzy was trying to crack a joke about Tiger's race and said roughly "This doesn't mean you have to serve fried chicken and watermelons next year". It was a joke and it was bad. Ultimately Tiger took no offense, because he knew Zoeller was joking. Just like Gronk's, "Hey look it's Mr Chow.. all he knows how to make is chicken fried rice...". It's nearly identical. Both were jokes gone wrong. Both had the person involved in receiving the joke (Tiger, Asian dude) not offended by it. Zoeller ws lynched, had endorsements taken away, and was radioactive in the golf world. Gronk was just being Gronk.

MoveToSkypager said:
VikingFrog said:
ConnSKINS26 said:
What racist comments?

I think you might be remembering the Fuzzy/Tiger event differently. Fuzzy was trying to crack a joke about Tiger's race and said roughly "This doesn't mean you have to serve fried chicken and watermelons next year". It was a joke and it was bad. Ultimately Tiger took no offense, because he knew Zoeller was joking. Just like Gronk's, "Hey look it's Mr Chow.. all he knows how to make is chicken fried rice...". It's nearly identical. Both were jokes gone wrong. Both had the person involved in receiving the joke (Tiger, Asian dude) not offended by it. Zoeller ws lynched, had endorsements taken away, and was radioactive in the golf world. Gronk was just being Gronk.
Pretty easy to figure this out. Its ok to be racially insensitive against asians, its not against african americans.

MoveToSkypager said:
VikingFrog said:
ConnSKINS26 said:
What racist comments?

I'm agreeing with you about Gronk. He deserved more heat.

But you're misremembering Zoeller. That's not what he said and he wasn't joking around.

"Little boy" "tell him not to serve fried chicken" "or collard greens or whatever the hell they serve"

MoveToSkypager said:
VikingFrog said:
ConnSKINS26 said:
What racist comments?

But you're misremembering Zoeller. That's not what he said and he wasn't joking around.

"Little boy" "tell him not to serve fried chicken" "or collard greens or whatever the hell they serve"
It was a joke gone wrong. People knew this the day after it happened.

MoveToSkypager said:
VikingFrog said:
ConnSKINS26 said:
What racist comments?
http://tracking.si.com/2013/11/12/rob-gronkowski-mocks-asian-fan/Really nothing too bad. But you gotta be smart when you are a public figure.

I've seen that video a couple times. I'm pretty sure he wasn't joking.

MoveToSkypager said:
VikingFrog said:
ConnSKINS26 said:
What racist comments?
http://tracking.si.com/2013/11/12/rob-gronkowski-mocks-asian-fan/Really nothing too bad. But you gotta be smart when you are a public figure.

I've seen that video a couple times. I'm pretty sure he wasn't joking.
He definitely was joking.

so for the people who have short seasons ... League championship games week 12 (affl, fgc, main event etc).

or anyone in general(added)

was drafting gronk in the 3rd or 4th round:

a) worth it?

b) not worth it

c) not sure yet ask me in a few weeks

Last edited by a moderator:
so for the people who have short seasons ... League championship games week 12 (affl, fgc, main event etc).

a) worth it?

b) not worth it

I'm in a non-short league.

b) not worth it

a) worth it?

b) not worth it

I'm in a non-short league.

b) not worth it
i have him in 3 leagues all short leagues..

and as of right now im leaning towards b)

but i guess since i have one team left with him i'll give c as my answer

Rotoworld:

Rob Gronkowski played on all 86 snaps in Sunday night's overtime win over the Broncos.
It's the first time all season Gronk has played on every snap. As ESPN Boston notes, it's a sign of his improving health, stamina and conditioning. Gronk has a touchdown in three straight games and has found the end zone a remarkable 41 times in his 48 career games.

Source: ESPN Boston

Ultimately it was worth it. I managed to hang around .500 until he returned and now he is one of the most valuable fantasy players in the NFL. He should have two more TDs, including one last night that was just like last week as he appeared to break the plane but was marked short and Brady rushed to the line to run another play. Regardless, he is a monster and gives me a chance to go all the way in the playoffs.

Ultimately it was worth it. I managed to hang around .500 until he returned and now he is one of the most valuable fantasy players in the NFL. He should have two more TDs, including one last night that was just like last week as he appeared to break the plane but was marked short and Brady rushed to the line to run another play. Regardless, he is a monster and gives me a chance to go all the way in the playoffs.
Similar situation. I am 8-4 & in the playoffs. I have an advantage over every other team at TE. (Graham owner didn't make playoffs). Not sure if it will matter, but it can't hurt me, though.

That being said, when Brady floated that ball into the endzone and Gronk dove for it, I almost sh!t my pants. He landed right on that injured forearm, then seemed to stay down for an extra second. I was thinking "oh great, here we go again."

Similar situation. I am 8-4 & in the playoffs. I have an advantage over every other team at TE. (Graham owner didn't make playoffs). Not sure if it will matter, but it can't hurt me, though.

That being said, when Brady floated that ball into the endzone and Gronk dove for it, I almost #### my pants. He landed right on that injured forearm, then seemed to stay down for an extra second. I was thinking "oh great, here we go again."
Me too lol, think he was thinking it too. Kind of play that happened when he rebroke it.

What racist comments?

Pretty easy to figure this out. Its ok to be racially insensitive against asians, its not against african americans.
:goodposting:

Rob Gronkowski played on all 86 snaps in Sunday night's overtime win over the Broncos.

Advice: It's the first time all season Gronk has played on every snap. As ESPN Boston notes, it's a sign of his improving health, stamina and conditioning. Gronk has a touchdown in three straight games and has found the end zone a remarkable 41 times in his 48 career games.

More: ESPN Boston
Love to see that as an owner.

Gronk needs to start converting his "almost TDs" in order to truly become the monster we all know he is.

I'm ready to see him unleashed during fantasy playoff time. This is what we all drafted and held him for.

My favorite stat for the past week:

1) Nearly a decade ago, Shannon Sharpe retired with the TE record for career touchdowns.

2) Over the past three seasons, Rob Gronkowski has averaged 1.00 TD per game.

3) If Gronk maintains that pace for the next year and change, he will pass Shannon Sharpe on the career TD list before his 26th birthday. Despite missing 11 games.

Keep it rolling, Gronk

1) Nearly a decade ago, Shannon Sharpe retired with the TE record for career touchdowns.

3) If Gronk maintains that pace for the next year and change, he will pass Shannon Sharpe on the career TD list before his 26th birthday. Despite missing 11 games.
This is nuts. Good stuff.

completely unstoppable even though everyone knows he's the guy they are going to go to. A true difference maker if you have him in your lineup each week.

Since week 7, when Gronk returned, guess who is the #1 TE in PPG in 1 ppr ? Even if you count the entire season, Graham is < 1 ppg better than what Gronk has done over the last 6 weeks.

Was he worth it? If you were able to make it to the playoffs, absolutely.

Since week 7, when Gronk returned, guess who is the #1 TE in PPG in 1 ppr ? Even if you count the entire season, Graham is < 1 ppg better than what Gronk has done over the last 6 weeks.

Was he worth it? If you were able to make it to the playoffs, absolutely.
Hell yes.

Damn.

Patriots points per game before Gronk's return: 21

Patriots point per game after Gronk's return: 33

Number of times the Patriots scored more than opposing defenses average allowed before Gronk's return (out of 6 games): 2

Number of times the Patriots scored more than opposing defenses average allowed after Gronk's return (out of 6 games): 5

I commented last night while watching the game how I've really undervalued Gronk - in NFL terms. Obviously he has to stay on the field, but when there the guys is a true force - and a complete player at that. While Jimmy Graham may be a bit faster / more athletic (and has injury issues of his own), Gronk is just a man among boys and brings in physical play, blocking etc. As noted, you know its going to him and he still catches TDs.

For those who took him round 4 or later and were able to plan accordingly, it's a huge advantage at this time of the year. With all the new faces and the huge start by Cameron etc, it's now playoff time and you have Gronk and Graham, and Gronk's the healthier of the two by far. Then you have the rest.

Rob Gronkowski is one of maybe five guys in the NFL who just looks like a completely different species when he plays. Calvin Johnson is another. Julius Peppers was one in his prime. Randy Moss in his prime. These guys just looked so much bigger, faster, stronger, and more physically dominant than the rest of the field. Watching Rob Gronkowski playing against the average NFL player is like watching the average NFL player competing against a good college football team. It's like watching a 5-star recruit playing against top competition in high school. It's like watching that kid in the Little League World Series who has been shaving for the last 5 years, or watching LeBron or Shaq in the NBA. Other players have incredible skill and precision that allow them to gain leverage over the competition, but Rob Gronkowski is simply too much for other NFL players to physically handle. It's surreal.

Rob Gronkowski is one of maybe five guys in the NFL who just looks like a completely different species when he plays. Calvin Johnson is another. Julius Peppers was one in his prime. Randy Moss in his prime. These guys just looked so much bigger, faster, stronger, and more physically dominant than the rest of the field. Watching Rob Gronkowski playing against the average NFL player is like watching the average NFL player competing against a good college football team. It's like watching a 5-star recruit playing against top competition in high school. It's like watching that kid in the Little League World Series who has been shaving for the last 5 years, or watching LeBron or Shaq in the NBA. Other players have incredible skill and precision that allow them to gain leverage over the competition, but Rob Gronkowski is simply too much for other NFL players to physically handle. It's surreal.
Gronk always reminds me of this:

http://movieclips.com/mAP5d-necessary-roughness-movie-wallys-pep-talk/27.96/35.23

ebsteelers said:
so gronk is already 14th in point scored by tes.

does he have enough in the tank to finish top 6 on overall points?
Most definitely. If every TE in the league maintained their current PPG average over the remainder of the season, Gronk would finish in a virtual tie with Vernon Davis as TE3 (234 vs. 235 points), behind only Julius Thomas and Jimmy Graham. In TE-premium formats (1.5 TE PPR), Gronk would pass Vernon and Julius Thomas and finish 3rd just behind Jordan Cameron.

WHAT DOES THE GRONK SAY?
Zolak: If you could have a superpower, what would that one superpower be?
Gronk: Man, like, a time machine.
Zolak: You could be invisible...
Gronk: Does time machine count?
Zolak: Yeah, let's do it. We could build a time machine right here.
Gronk: Like, if I could just be like, "I want to be in Florida right now," and then boom, I'm in Florida.
Zolak: That'd be more like a transporter, like...
Gronk: Yeah, is that a superpower?

WHAT DOES THE GRONK SAY?
Zolak: If you could have a superpower, what would that one superpower be?
Gronk: Man, like, a time machine.
Zolak: You could be invisible...
Gronk: Does time machine count?
Zolak: Yeah, let's do it. We could build a time machine right here.
Gronk: Like, if I could just be like, "I want to be in Florida right now," and then boom, I'm in Florida.
Zolak: That'd be more like a transporter, like...
Gronk: Yeah, is that a superpower?
Wow, that's real? :lmao:

What if I were to tell you that there are people out there who own both Gronk and Graham?
:bye:

And yes, it was right. I basically forfeited a few weeks early by taking Gronk/Blackmon/Gordon...but it let me stack up with Graham and at QB and RB. Stacked now. Love Gronk.

Gronk will single-handedly win my first round fantasy playoff games today, and when he does, I'm hopping in a time machine and heading to the nearest bar to celebrate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread