Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Tool

Josh Freeman - what's his future hold?

What are you talking about? He tarnished his own name getting high on his own supply. Local sources estimate he lost out on potentially $30 million on the table, if he could stay straight and keep clean. Schiano is a scumbag idiot college coach, but that doesn't absolve Josh Freeman for ruining his job security by missing team meetings, team photos, showing up late, blowing off his own camp. He deserves what he's getting, and Schiano is going to drive the Bucs into the ground. Only real losers here who did nothing wrong were the faithful Bucs fans who paid to watch this horrible brand of football that flat doesn't work. Schiano is a rube. Glazers, please do the town a favor and fire him.

• Like 2

What are you talking about? He tarnished his own name getting high on his own supply. Local sources estimate he lost out on potentially $30 million on the table, if he could stay straight and keep clean. Schiano is a scumbag idiot college coach, but that doesn't absolve Josh Freeman for ruining his job security by missing team meetings, team photos, showing up late, blowing off his own camp. He deserves what he's getting, and Schiano is going to drive the Bucs into the ground. Only real losers here who did nothing wrong were the faithful Bucs fans who paid to watch this horrible brand of football that flat doesn't work. Schiano is a rube. Glazers, please do the town a favor and fire him.

That's probably all true, which it makes it even more curious why they'd slander him further by leaking this. What did they gain?

feels a little like TB is doing some scapegoating here; "its not our fault, our QB is a drug user and really bad person"

Edited by KellysHeroes

I paid almost 1400 dollars for Bucs season tickets this year. True story. I feel like I deserve a medal or a plaque or something.

I didn't even go yesterday, I'm so fed up.

I paid almost 1400 dollars for Bucs season tickets this year. True story. I feel like I deserve a medal or a plaque or something.

I didn't even go yesterday, I'm so fed up.

dam,

this just makes Tamp Bay look silly now

Josh Freeman issued a statement Monday night saying he "voluntarily" entered the NFL drug program because he takes medication to treat ADHD.

"I have NEVER tested positive for any illegal drugs or related substances," Freeman said. "Further, I have agreed to take, and have PASSED 46 NFL-regulated drug tests over the last year and a half. ... I have ADHD and I have been prescribed and permitted to take medication to treat this condition for the entirety of my NFL career. Well over a year ago, I took a different medication for the same condition (Ritalin rather than Adderall), and to assure everyone that the error was a one-time mistake, I agreed to be voluntarily tested in the 'NFL Program'." The confidentiality of Freeman's medical status has been violated, and he and the NFL Players Association plan to take action

The confidentiality of Freeman's medical status has been violated, and he and the NFL Players Association plan to take action

Yeah right. He'll be in rehab first.

this just makes Tamp Bay look silly now

Josh Freeman issued a statement Monday night saying he "voluntarily" entered the NFL drug program because he takes medication to treat ADHD.

"I have NEVER tested positive for any illegal drugs or related substances," Freeman said. "Further, I have agreed to take, and have PASSED 46 NFL-regulated drug tests over the last year and a half. ... I have ADHD and I have been prescribed and permitted to take medication to treat this condition for the entirety of my NFL career. Well over a year ago, I took a different medication for the same condition (Ritalin rather than Adderall), and to assure everyone that the error was a one-time mistake, I agreed to be voluntarily tested in the 'NFL Program'." The confidentiality of Freeman's medical status has been violated, and he and the NFL Players Association plan to take action

If it comes out Schiano was somehow responsible for the leak, could be lights out for him.

I think Schiano gets fired this week now. This is just too much for the franchise to try and overcome.

I think Schiano gets fired this week now. This is just too much for the franchise to try and overcome.

bye week is perfect timing too.

bye week is perfect timing too.

Exactly. Players are largely gone and it gives the new temp coach time to get acclimated.

There are reports that the NFLPA is coming to Tampa to interview the Bucs locker room and get down to the bottom of this leak. Who knows if it's the same mole that keeps feeding Mike Florio his tales of Bucs locker room dissension and other dirty laundry. Maybe Freeman's camp leaked it for all we know. It sure helps set him up as a sympathetic character. The info that he's enrolled in the NFL's drug program is protected doctor-patient stuff. If the NFLPA finds out who leaked it out, that's a lawsuit for sure.

I don't buy Freeman's declaration of innocence though. Aren't adderol or ritalin supposed to be like uppers? This doesn't jive with his slow and slurred, sometimes incoherent phrases in his interview in June. Or is that the drug-free Josh Freeman who needs his meds to be street smart?

In any case, Freeman deserved to benched. He was playing awful. That's enough excuse without dragging his name in the dirt. I don't see even a rube like Schiano doing that. He benched him, deactivated him. Going into the bye week, last thing Schiano needs is this kind of press and microscope over a disappointing 0-4 team.

I watched Schiano coach my alma mater for 11 years. The guy is a lot of things and has a lot of weaknesses as a football coach...but one thing he's not is someone who would get wrapped up in all this #### to the point where he'd be leaking things to the media.

Getting randomly tested 46 times in 18 months is more than twice a month. Seems unlikely you'd dodge that many bullets if you're a heavy user. Even if it's a fast-exiting drug like coke.

Either way though, Freeman looks bad here IMO. He comes across like 'he's been beaten and has puppy dog eyes' (to borrow a phrase from Andy Reid), and there's really no excuse to miss the stuff he missed either.

At the same time, there's really no doubt now that Schiano actively sabotaged Freeman to get 'his' guy in there. And everything I've ever read about the guy screams giant #######. Will be fun to root against him and watch the Bucs lose until he gets the axe.

I watched Schiano coach my alma mater for 11 years. The guy is a lot of things and has a lot of weaknesses as a football coach...but one thing he's not is someone who would get wrapped up in all this #### to the point where he'd be leaking things to the media.

I agree and I've met the man. So stuck to his ideals and principles, he's lost in this cut throat world of NFL coaching. But he's not the type to purposely screw over his former QB. I see him as out of place and overmatched, but not a slimeball.

I'm pretty sure Ritalin or Adderal can show up as another amphetamine on a drug test. I think they can drill down more with some gas chromatography test or something like that, but the standard test come back the same. I'm not sure what kind of test the NFL does.

Also, why does it have to be the Bucs or Freeman that leaked the news? The Von Miller case proved the drug collectors aren't necessarily the straightest arrows.

At the same time, there's really no doubt now that Schiano actively sabotaged Freeman to get 'his' guy in there. And everything I've ever read about the guy screams giant #######. Will be fun to root against him and watch the Bucs lose until he gets the axe.

Oh, I don't think it was anything so nefarious by coach Schiano. He wants to succeed his way, and his way is strict disipline all the time, while Josh was a free spirit. The two were never going to get along well. Schiano kept pushing the wrong button on Josh, thinking he could save Josh's career with this Vince Lombardi type rah rah mantra. It didn't work. Schiano is a very closed minded guy who preaches his way or the highway. Put away the conspiracy theories about Schiano actively scuttling Freeman's career. They both did their part.

Schiano kept pushing the wrong button on Josh, thinking he could save Josh's career with this Vince Lombardi type rah rah mantra. It didn't work. Schiano is a very closed minded guy who preaches his way or the highway.

Have to admit this makes sense too.

An unamed "football news" site broke this odd item this morning:

Tue, 01 Oct 2013 05:27:47 -0700
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have called about a dozen teams in an attempt to trade QB Josh Freeman. They plan to reach out to all 31 others by the end of Tuesday, Oct. 1.

So the Bucs will be calling a total of 43 teams about a Freeman trade? Including calling their own GM? :o

That'll teach me to call out Schiano again. :bag:

:wall: The dude really is a pos. Damn... Edited by flapgreen

The confidentiality in the NFL is a joke and it needs to be addressed, i just have no idea how

about 30 min ago his wikipedia said he was traded to the Bengals for a 2nd and 3rd. lol it's been removed

Edited by Quez
  • Like 1

Can someone give me a 'What we know' recap on this situation? I'm really confused.

Don't know if this has been reported, but Josh Freeman no longer demanding a trade. He just wants be released so that he can find choose his next team. Good luck with that Josh. I don't think the Bucs are going to eat all that dead money just so you get your wish.

They said he was playing defense at practice today. wtf?

Cocaine is a helluva drug.

Don't know if this has been reported, but Josh Freeman no longer demanding a trade. He just wants be released so that he can find choose his next team. Good luck with that Josh. I don't think the Bucs are going to eat all that dead money just so you get your wish.

Wouldn't that also cost the Bucs a compensatory draft pick? No way the Bucs would do that.

Wouldn't that also cost the Bucs a compensatory draft pick? No way the Bucs would do that.

Compensatory picks are partially determined by player performance, so with how bad that Freeman was playing, the Bucs might not be looking at much (if anything) in the way of picks for losing Freeman in free agency.

http://www.pewterreport.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=9259:&Itemid=15

Long but worthwhile read regarding what's going on. Schiano is mangini part deux

Good info here:

Coming off a 7-9 season, Schiano should have manned up, admitted that Freeman wasn’t his guy, traded Freeman, and gotten his own guy in the offseason. Coming off a 4,000-yard, 27-touchdown season, trading Freeman to Kansas City or another quarterback-needy team might have netted some premium picks, such as a second- and a third-rounder. After all, the Chiefs surrendered a second-rounder for Alex Smith, who was not Jim Harbaugh’s guy in San Francisco.

The confidentiality of Freeman's medical status has been violated, and he and the NFL Players Association plan to take action

Dude has an issue he is treating with meds, are you really this classless?

It is possible coaches look for a way out to save their job just like any occupation and they blame whoever they can, Freeman just happen to be this scum Schianos target.

No but the NFLPA has one heck of a lawyer who is breathing down their neck now, they will release him for him to drop all confidentiality charges against the Bucs. That is the end game in my opinion. Schiano does not last this season if he makes it through this bye week even.

My apologies. I didn't realize that ADHD could be treated with cocaine.

Look I'm not a fan of his, but he passed 46 drug tests in the last year and a half. He's not on coke.

Look I'm not a fan of his, but he passed 46 drug tests in the last year and a half. He's not on coke.

:goodposting:

Look I'm not a fan of his, but he CLAIMS THAT HE passed 46 drug tests in the last year and a half. He's not on coke.
Fixed for you.

According to this article, the NFL can only test players a maximum of 23 times per year, so it's highly unlikely that he would have gone through a full 2 years worth of tests in only 18 months.

Look I'm not a fan of his, but he CLAIMS THAT HE passed 46 drug tests in the last year and a half. He's not on coke.
Fixed for you.

According to this article, the NFL can only test players a maximum of 23 times per year, so it's highly unlikely that he would have gone through a full 2 years worth of tests in only 18 months.

Well 46 is an interesting # if they can test 23 times a calendar year.

Rotoworld:

FOX's Jay Glazer reports that the Bucs requested benched QB Josh Freeman to not attend a team meeting Tuesday.

Even more interestingly, Glazer reports some of Freeman's teammates "started thinking it was to get others to think he blew it off." Both the media and Freeman's teammates are seeing right through Tampa's thinly-veiled smear campaign against its former quarterback. Coach Greg Schiano appears to think he's still coaching in the Big East, and not the AFC South. Schiano's agent may want to start sending out back-channel feelers to college athletic directors.

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Albert Breer reports the Titans are "unlikely" to trade for Josh Freeman.

With Jake Locker (hip) expected to miss 4-6 weeks, Freeman could potentially be an upgrade over backup Ryan Fitzpatrick and has ties to current GM Ruston Webster. However, a deal between the sides remains doubtful. The Bucs are actively shopping Freeman ahead of the October 29 trade deadline, but may end up having to release him.
Related: Titans

Per ESPN's Ed Werder, interest around the league in Josh Freeman is "mild."

Freeman has $6.2 million guaranteed remaining on his contract, has questionable dedication and was arguably the worst starting quarterback in the NFL through three games. We're guessing the term "mild" is an exaggeration. The Bucs are ramping up trade efforts Tuesday, leaking the fact that they'll be calling all 31 teams. Meanwhile, Freeman is pushing for his release. The trade deadline is Oct. 29.
Source: ESPN.com
Edited by Faust

Fixed for you.

First of all, the article you are citing is a bleacher report, which means the credibility is highly in question.

Secondly, if Freeman is in stage 1 of the program then he is being tested more often, likely more often than the number cited in the bleacher article.

Third, Mortensen sources claim that "Freeman has not had any incidents that have placed him in jeopardy of suspension, such as a positive test for a banned street-drug substance, sources said. Thus, Freeman is in relatively good standing under the program."

As it stands I have no idea, nor do I really care, if Josh Freeman uses recreational drugs. But the evidence we have right now is to the contrary and a couple of speculative posts by anonymous dudes on the internet doesn't change that.

Edited by VaTerp

Corrected:

Don't know if this has been reported, but Josh Freeman no longer demanding a trade. He just wants be released so that he can find choose his next team. career.

Reading about Freeman I stumbled across The Dirty which has multiple claims that he enjoys having...toys...used on him. I'm taking it for what it's worth - nothing - but it seems to jive with things that are being said now. If true he should have came out as the first openly gay player when he was a rookie.