What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

★☆★ NFL DRAFT Thread. ★☆★ (1 Viewer)

The draft is an event all it's own. The Vikings won tonight.

Come on guys. Just give it to us. It's all we've got.
Thats the thing. The Vikings won tonight. They used Three picks on great players and should be improved.

Thing is they could have won next year as well if they would have traded back with one of the picks and then use the extra picks to trade out to next year. They probably would have had almost as good of players in the process.

Thats the thing. The Vikings won tonight. They used Three picks on great players and should be improved.

Thing is they could have won next year as well if they would have traded back with one of the picks and then use the extra picks to trade out to next year. They probably would have had almost as good of players in the process.
Who was offering to trade back?

There is admittedly a hypothetical situation where they could have gotten better players with the picks they could have had than the ones they really made. But that's no different than any team.

I don't understand how the board can say "why is Patterson falling and Hopkins going before him" on one hand and on the other say "Vikings could have gotten someone(s) better than Patterson later".

Once you start getting into the 4th round, the odds of the player ever making an impact are really diminished. There's a reason first round guys are first round guys.

I'll bet you on best record. Tiebreaker being head to head and then division record.
I'm not a betting man. But if I were, I'd bet the farm that the Vikes end up with a better record than the Lions this year.
Well if you're a drinking man we could roll with a 6 pack of local brew...
Yeah. I don't do that either. :nerd:

How about the stupid signature bet "Andy/BNB was right, the Vikings/Lions were the better team in 2013-2014"?

As a Packers fan, I think the Vikings did very well. They've had good to great Dts for about the past 25 years going back to Jon Randle and Henry Thomas.

Congrats Vikings! You may be a front runner for the April Super Bowl. The real one... Not so much.
Hey Jealousy! :hey:
Jealous of the 4th best team in their division?
Which teams made the playoffs?
I'd say Green Bay is a lock. After that I would go with Detroit or Chicago. Let me go check the vegas odds for this year... Green Bay 12 - 1 (super bowl) Chicago 25-1 Detriot 40-1 Minny 40-1
Oh come on. Detroit is terrible. They have no corners, no tackles, and a raw rookie starting at one DE spot and nothing at the other. But hey, they've got a great WR.
So basically the same team as Minny if Minny had a great WR and NFL caliber QB??? I'll bet you on best record. Tiebreaker being head to head and then division record.
Yes, if Minny had a better QB and the best WR in the league instead of just a top 10 WR. Oh and if Detroit had the best RB since Barry Sanders, a top 5 O-line, a top 5 D-line, and exciting young players in the receiving game and the secondary, they'd be the exact same team.

I thought Minny had a good draft overall. I do think they overpaid when they moved up to get Patterson. But there is a fair chance they got one or more guys who will end up playing above where they were drafted. It's very possible Patterson will be better than everyone taken with the picks they gave up for him... but I'd probably like the chances of a 2, 3 and 4 in this draft yielding one or more solid starters.

I thought Minny had a good draft overall. I do think they overpaid when they moved up to get Patterson. But there is a fair chance they got one or more guys who will end up playing above where they were drafted. It's very possible Patterson will be better than everyone taken with the picks they gave up for him... but I'd probably like the chances of a 2, 3 and 4 in this draft yielding one or more solid starters.
:goodposting: shocked they got back into the first. As a Packer fan I hated it. But definitely a solid draft for them.

I biased because I'm obviously a Viking fan but I really don't understand why the Patriots made that trade. I hear the draft is deep but is it that deep. We are talking about moving back to the 52nd pick in the draft. Are they going to get a player capable of cracking the lineup from that position?

Agreed. When they traded up at the end of the round, my Vikings-for-life bud said "Please not Te'o... we addressed D, we need a wideout." 30 minutes, err, seconds later, high fives all around. Four true need positions, and three of them addressed in the first round? Damn solid.

I biased because I'm obviously a Viking fan but I really don't understand why the Patriots made that trade. I hear the draft is deep but is it that deep. We are talking about moving back to the 52nd pick in the draft. Are they going to get a player capable of cracking the lineup from that position?
Personally I think their will be WRs better than Patterson left on the board. Whether or not NE ids that guy and selects him is another matter.

Many of these 1st round picks were kind of blah. Weak draft class IMO.

Yeah you're right I can't think of a any guys on the patriots that play that weren't first or second rounders!?!? <_<

Belichick has done little with the recent picks he's acquired. Not sure why most are gushing over this?!

Maybe if he held on to some of his higher picks, they win Super Bowls. We'll never know.

Teo the wiser of the two between him and Geno.

Vikings draft looks terrific to me on paper.

Cowboys? Jerry Jones doing his best Al Davis impersonation. Making his team worse through the draft.

Yeah you're right I can't think of a any guys on the patriots that play that weren't first or second rounders!?!? <_<
Belichick building the JV team through the draft!

Sure, there's a great chance they will get a starter. They didn't get much out of last year's draft in that range and beyond yet. But look at the 2 previous years.

Vereen 56

Ridley 73

Mallet 74

Gronk 42

Spikes 62

Hernandez 113

And as you said, many consider this a deeper draft than some, if weak at the top end. Most good teams find a number of good and above average starters in rounds 2-4.

I'd probably rather take my shot on the 3 players (plus the late pick) over just Patterson. But it may end up favoring the Vikings, we won't know for a few years.

Edit to add: We'll probably get a better feel when we see some team move up a pick in the 2nd how much they had to give to move up, on whether it was market value or not. Harder to equate it with trades for earlier picks. But I suspect the Patriots could package that 2nd and 4th and get a WR who has a good shot being as good as Patterson, and then have the 3rd to get a potential starter or role player with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess you got me there. It could a win-win for both teams.

I'll be curous to see what players the Patriots get with the picks they got from the Vikings. interesting to see how those players compare with Patterson.
Ask the Browns how they feel about the players they got for Julio.
Patterson is definitely not in the same tier as Julio. I have no problem with the Pats trade, but I do agree that it's kind of funny that they're already getting lots of praise for the move despite the fact that those picks have not even be used yet. I'd reserve judgement until the picks have been made to see how they made out value-wise.

I'll be curous to see what players the Patriots get with the picks they got from the Vikings. interesting to see how those players compare with Patterson.
Ask the Browns how they feel about the players they got for Julio.
Patterson is definitely not in the same tier as Julio. I have no problem with the Pats trade, but I do agree that it's kind of funny that they're already getting lots of praise for the move despite the fact that those picks have not even be used yet. I'd reserve judgement until the picks have been made to see how they made out value-wise.
Which is weirder - Belichick getting praised for trading down before seeing what he does with the picks or Belichick getting criticized for trading down before seeing what he does with the picks?

Video Links:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap2000000163880/2013-NFL-Draft-Day-1-winners-and-losers

Mike Mayock's 2013 NFL Draft Day 1 winners and losers
03:04 – Mike Mayock reveals which teams won and which teams lost amid the flurry of surprises that took place on Day 1 of the 2013 NFL Draft.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap2000000163923/Best-available-players-for-Day-2

Best available players for 2013 NFL Draft Day 2
02:54 – The "NFL Total Access" crew breaks down the best players available for Day 2 of the 2013 NFL Draft and which quarterbacks' name we might hear first.

Boy, did the Patriots rape the Vikings on this trade.
No doubt about it, Hoodie is back in the 2nd and 3rd after losing picks from previous deals.
I think it was a great trade all around, disparity between the few players available and the ones that will be available in addition to the Vikings getting exactly what they needed this draft.I wouldn't judge until after those picks are used but I expect the 2nd round to be very fruitful for the Pats.

Lot of solid WRs, LBers and secondary guys left. Setup nicely for the Bills here in the 2nd round, especially with a run on QBs likely coming.

No doubt about it, Hoodie is back in the 2nd and 3rd after losing picks from previous deals.
Explain to me why people think this.
Not sure it will make any difference, but...

(a) Draft's WR position is not loaded with game changing talent.

(b) MIN reached for a project.

© Gave up too much in relation to other traded picks in the first, much less the tail end of the 1st.

(d) Could have had a (roughly) similar player in the 2nd

(e) Hit/miss ratio for WRs is not a good gamble

There ya go.

I haven't seen the value chart, but it did not seem to me that a late first was worth almost all of the rest of their picks this year. Pick 29 forPicks 52, 83, 102, 229. Just seems lopsided and very standard Patriots issue (no one does this better). That said, I definitely felt that the Vikings left Day 1 with the best overall draft. So maybe the rest of these picks are not relevant.ETA - Just checked the value chart, and it says that Pick 29 is worth 640. Picks 52(380), 83 (175), 102 (92) and 229 (2) are worth 647. So looks a whole lot more reasonable when looking at the value chart which is invariably posted in one of the many pages of this thread already.

I'm a Patriots fan, and I'm not sure why people think they raped the Vikings. I think the trade is great because it remedies the precise problem the Patriots had (i.e. only having 3 picks before the 7th round) but value-wise, seems fine to me. They moved down like 22 spots, pretty significant drop.

Exactly, it's not like the Vikings moved up 4 or 5 picks. They moved up 23 spots to get a guy they liked and fit the team. 23 spots is a long drop for the Patriots. By that time most of the value players could be gone.

© Gave up too much in relation to other traded picks in the first, much less the tail end of the 1st.

There ya go.
a) so they went and got one of the two that can be

b) they didn't reach as he went later than most expected

c) they had to jump 23 spots. that is huge.

d) I bet a lot would disagree on this point

e) I don't know enough about this to speculate

There ya go.
a) But if there are any, they're Patterson and Austin.

b) They're all projects in the draft. He was projected as a 1st rounder and he went in the 1st. That's not a "reacH"

c) Other traded picks in the 1st were a result of teams desperate to move down. Which is aberrant behavior in a typical draft.

d) Not necessarily true. You're totally guessing. We all are. But you can't make your point with a guess. Guys like Woods, Patton, and Allen are very different players, with just as many question marks (albeit different ones) as Patterson. FWIW - I liked Woods the most. But I don't make a living analyzing these guys.

e) Why not?

It all hinges on what you think have gotten in Patterson vs. what you think they could have gotten with their 2nd at the expense of losing a late 3rd, late 4th, and 7th.

The value that they lost the benefit of was the 3rd, 4th, and 7th because they would have used one pick in the 2nd just like they used one pick in the 1st.

I haven't seen the value chart, but it did not seem to me that a late first was worth almost all of the rest of their picks this year.

ETA - Just checked the value chart, and it says that Pick 29 is worth 640. Picks 52(380), 83 (175), 102 (92) and 229 (2) are worth 647. So looks a whole lot more reasonable when looking at the value chart which is invariably posted in one of the many pages of this thread already.
And, they STILL have a 4th, 5th, 6th, and two 7ths...so they didn't give up "almost all of the rest of their picks this year".

There was no way all those players were going to make the roster this year so there was no reason to keep all the picks.

I haven't seen the value chart, but it did not seem to me that a late first was worth almost all of the rest of their picks this year.

Pick 29

for

Picks 52, 83, 102, 229.

Just seems lopsided and very standard Patriots issue (no one does this better).

That said, I definitely felt that the Vikings left Day 1 with the best overall draft. So maybe the rest of these picks are not relevant.

vs

643 (380+170+92+1)

ETA - Just checked the value chart, and it says that Pick 29 is worth 640. Picks 52(380), 83 (175), 102 (92) and 229 (2) are worth 647. So looks a whole lot more reasonable when looking at the value chart which is invariably posted in one of the many pages of this thread already.
And, they STILL have a 4th, 5th, 6th, and two 7ths...so they didn't give up "almost all of the rest of their picks this year".

There was no way all those players were going to make the roster this year so there was no reason to keep all the picks.
Yeah, I should have spent more time looking at this clearly. My initial instinct last night was that the Pats were on the good end of this. I was very wrong and am convinced otherwise now, especially given that no other team came close to the Vikings in terms of most improved on Day 1 (at least not in my eyes).

So the Falcons give up a 3rd(92) and a 6th(198) to move up 8 spots from 30 to 22.

The vikings give up a 3rd(83) 4th(102) and 7th(229) to move up 23 spots from 52 to 29.

But the Vikings got raped?

To me it seems clear that the Vikings have already locked up a great draft. If they find someone that can play with one of those late picks it's just gravy.

Users who are viewing this thread