What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (1 Viewer)

scottybo

Footballguy
Getting lousy coverage with my S2 and want to upgrade to the S4 and put the LTE to good use that my S2 didn't get.

Anyone have one? Likes/dislikes?

I think T-Mobile is the only one selling it, others getting it soon.

Everything I've seen about it is that it is a solid but incremental improvement from the S3. Also has a ton of features that can be almost overwhelming. Consensus is it makes a lot of sense to upgrade from the S2. Upgrading from the S3 is debatable. Depends on how badly you want latest/greatest.

Everything I've seen about it is that it is a solid but incremental improvement from the S3. Also has a ton of features that can be almost overwhelming. Consensus is it makes a lot of sense to upgrade from the S2. Upgrading from the S3 is debatable. Depends on how badly you want latest/greatest.
Kind of funny that this is on the front page. AT&T also is doing the S4 and S3. Upgraded to the S3 for my stepson 2 nights ago....now my wife says his phone is better than her IPhone4s so I have to either get her an S4 or and IPhone 5 this weekend.

Any thoughts between the 2 I will be :popcorn:

Kind of funny that this is on the front page. AT&T also is doing the S4 and S3. Upgraded to the S3 for my stepson 2 nights ago....now my wife says his phone is better than her IPhone4s so I have to either get her an S4 or and IPhone 5 this weekend.

Any thoughts between the 2 I will be :popcorn:
Only real upgrade with the iPhone 5 is having LTE. iOS6 is a step back.

For my Work Cell Phone I switched to the Galaxy 4 a couple weeks ago and am enjoying the different options, although it does take getting use to the overall size of it.

Then again I went from a Blackberry torch so hard for me to compare it to anything other then Blackberry's. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
For my Work Cell Phone I switched to the Galaxy 4 a couple weeks ago and am enjoying the different options, although it does take getting use to the overall size of it.

Then again I went from a Blackberry torch so hard for me to compare it to anything other then Blackberry's. ;)
Pee-wee league to NFL is a big jump. Don't get too cocky.

I owned an S3 through Sprint until I busted the crap out of my screen on Wednesday. After researching, I went with the HTC One over the S4, and I'm not regretting it at all. I prefer the aluminum body and the dual stereo front facing speakers are pretty awesome. Could just be that my old phone was scratched to hell, but the new phone's screen feeling a lot smoother to the touch, and I never have my finger catch randomly like my S3 did.

Getting lousy coverage with my S2 and want to upgrade to the S4 and put the LTE to good use that my S2 didn't get.

I don't have one but it looks like a great phone.

If your contract is up, stop in the Ting thread I started and find a better deal than the one you already have. There are over 50 companies selling cellular service in the US and most folks don't know much about them. I know a ton. Chances are you can save some serious money and find one that matches your needs very well.

I don't have one but it looks like a great phone.

If your contract is up, stop in the Ting thread I started and find a better deal than the one you already have. There are over 50 companies selling cellular service in the US and most folks don't know much about them. I know a ton. Chances are you can save some serious money and find one that matches your needs very well.
wheres this thread? I am up for new contract and wanted to shop around plus I need a new phone, S4 or HTC one im trying to decide

Getting lousy coverage with my S2 and want to upgrade to the S4 and put the LTE to good use that my S2 didn't get. Anyone have one? Likes/dislikes?
I don't have one but it looks like a great phone.If your contract is up, stop in the Ting thread I started and find a better deal than the one you already have. There are over 50 companies selling cellular service in the US and most folks don't know much about them. I know a ton. Chances are you can save some serious money and find one that matches your needs very well.
Not until January. Wife's line has an available upgrade on it and I'm going to use it as my phone is older and the service sucks. She has the Skyrocket and gets better service with the LTE. I drop calls and people can't hear me speaking a lot of times. She has no problems, therefore reason for the upgrade. She's 30 wks pregnant and I need reliable communication pronto.

Got S4 from Sprint a couple weeks ago as an upgrade from the original S. Very happy so far but I'm not a power user. But it works well and is very fast.

FWIW I was thinking of replacing my Droid X2 with an S4 but got a RAZR M instead. They are free at Best Buy, so it was $68 due to tax and the fee. Fantastic phone if you are going for a smaller screen. Android Jellybean, LTE, dual core 1.5, and a better UI than samsung touchwiz IMO. Couldn't justify an extra $200 for the S4.

I'm a long time iPhone user and currently have the 4s. My contract will be up soon and I'm considering taking the plunge with the S4 or another Android phone. Anyone here make the switch from iPhone? And are you happy with the decision?

I've got the iphone 4S as a work phone and galaxy S4 as a personal phone. Upgraded from the S3. Went through 4 S3s due to dropped calls. The S3 on a CDMA network like US Cellular was known to have issues. The antenna on the S4 is a big improvement.

The built in infrared remote is priceless. Function every TV and dvr box is awesome. Turning off the TVs at the bar last weekend in the middle if the ballgame was priceless.

Bigger screen. Full HD. Over the iPhone is a no brainer

Since Sprint is not currently releasing the Galaxy s4 with 32gb and At&T has. I'm seriously considering the switch to AT&T or maybe the better built HTC one.

Sprint please release the 32gb, what's the issue here.... 16gb is crap since 9gb is already used for stock apps and you can't move apps to SD card (unless rooted).

Getting lousy coverage with my S2 and want to upgrade to the S4 and put the LTE to good use that my S2 didn't get. Anyone have one? Likes/dislikes?
I don't have one but it looks like a great phone.If your contract is up, stop in the Ting thread I started and find a better deal than the one you already have. There are over 50 companies selling cellular service in the US and most folks don't know much about them. I know a ton. Chances are you can save some serious money and find one that matches your needs very well.
Not until January. Wife's line has an available upgrade on it and I'm going to use it as my phone is older and the service sucks. She has the Skyrocket and gets better service with the LTE. I drop calls and people can't hear me speaking a lot of times. She has no problems, therefore reason for the upgrade. She's 30 wks pregnant and I need reliable communication pronto.
might be your carrier dropping the calls more than the phone itself. I'll bump the Ting thread for you and caul.

Guys, those of you re-uping with the big 4 carriers might as well be seeing your wallet on fire. There are many cheaper options out there with just as good service. Of all of the folks I helped find new carriers in the Ting thread, only one is still with the big 4, and that was due to his rural location. Stop in that thread, read some of it, post your usage and zip code and I will save you money.

(HULK) said:
might be your carrier dropping the calls more than the phone itself. I'll bump the Ting thread for you and caul.
It's the phone. My wife is using same carrier and can sit in the same spot and calls are clear as day for her. Not so much for me. 10-15 seconds in, the other person can't hear me.

I'm a long time iPhone user and currently have the 4s. My contract will be up soon and I'm considering taking the plunge with the S4 or another Android phone. Anyone here make the switch from iPhone? And are you happy with the decision?
Ditched my iPhone 4 to switch to Ting (and save $100/mo) two months ago, and got an s3. I was bummed that I couldn't use my iPhone, but no more. There isn't a thing I miss about my iPhone. Love this thing. Android has come a long way in the last couple years.

Ditched my iPhone 4 to switch to Ting (and save $100/mo) two months ago, and got an s3. I was bummed that I couldn't use my iPhone, but no more. There isn't a thing I miss about my iPhone. Love this thing. Android has come a long way in the last couple years.
Can you elaborate? I like my iPhone 5 and use a Mac and an iPad. But aside from photos, I don't do much integration. My bill is too high and I'm looking at a galaxy or waiting for the new nexus or Moto x phone. Would like to hear why you like it so much more. I didn't dislike android on my Evo, but the iPhone felt a lot cleaner when I switched.

Can you elaborate? I like my iPhone 5 and use a Mac and an iPad. But aside from photos, I don't do much integration. My bill is too high and I'm looking at a galaxy or waiting for the new nexus or Moto x phone. Would like to hear why you like it so much more. I didn't dislike android on my Evo, but the iPhone felt a lot cleaner when I switched.
I don't use apple for anything, so I can't really compare. Being all in with Google products and having a nexus 4 works well for me though. I've been on android since the original galaxy s (epic 4g)... Android has gone along nicely since those days.

Guys, those of you re-uping with the big 4 carriers might as well be seeing your wallet on fire. There are many cheaper options out there with just as good service. Of all of the folks I helped find new carriers in the Ting thread, only one is still with the big 4, and that was due to his rural location. Stop in that thread, read some of it, post your usage and zip code and I will save you money.
My company pays mine. I doubt I'm alone in that here

I'd wait for the Google branded S4. I think it's gonna launch on AT&T and T-Mobile. My GS3 has a AOSP ROM on it that's close to being a purer Android experience, which IMO is ten times better than Sammy's Touch Wiz crap. Major props to the dev's of Liquid Smooth ROM. If the dev's can take even more advantage of the awesome S4 hardware on top of the Google branded device, it will be the best device ever.

Yeah I know I sound like a fanboy, but if Verizon carries the Google S4, i'm all over it.

I'd wait for the Google branded S4. I think it's gonna launch on AT&T and T-Mobile. My GS3 has a AOSP ROM on it that's close to being a purer Android experience, which IMO is ten times better than Sammy's Touch Wiz crap. Major props to the dev's of Liquid Smooth ROM. If the dev's can take even more advantage of the awesome S4 hardware on top of the Google branded device, it will be the best device ever.

Yeah I know I sound like a fanboy, but if Verizon carries the Google S4, i'm all over it.
Looks like once again Sprint is falling behind. Seems AT&T is stepping up to dominate, heck they were the first to offer the 32gb Galaxy s4.

A couple things.

I use gmail - and obviously the gmail integration is way better on android

I use gtalk - really nice to seamlessly take conversations from a computer to my phone and back

No iTunes

The size - I like the bigger phone. I didn't think I would, but I do.

I had a nexus S a couple years ago on an older OS, and it was buggy, clunky, and not very clean. I'm not sure if it's the phone or the newer version of Android, but the new phone is super clean, easy to use, and I have no issues with programs freezing, rebooting, or any of what my old android phone did. The only complaint I had about the new phone was the keyboard isn't what Apple's is, but then I installed Swiftkey, which is awesome, and there's literally nothing I prefer about the iPhone.

A couple things.

I use gmail - and obviously the gmail integration is way better on android

I use gtalk - really nice to seamlessly take conversations from a computer to my phone and back

No iTunes

The size - I like the bigger phone. I didn't think I would, but I do.

I had a nexus S a couple years ago on an older OS, and it was buggy, clunky, and not very clean. I'm not sure if it's the phone or the newer version of Android, but the new phone is super clean, easy to use, and I have no issues with programs freezing, rebooting, or any of what my old android phone did. The only complaint I had about the new phone was the keyboard isn't what Apple's is, but then I installed Swiftkey, which is awesome, and there's literally nothing I prefer about the iPhone.
One of the many reasons why I chose the S3 over the iPhone was the SD card slot. The others were price per spec, screen size, etc. Why I chose the S3 over other Android devices was more on the dev side, especially since I flash a lot of ROMs.

The SD card slot is HUGE for the ROM flashes. I have a few stored as well as backups on the external card. Having the extra external storage capacity is a must IMO. If Sammy does away with that in the future I will be disappointed, then having to have to use the cloud.

I've had mine for 2 weeks now. Still not a huge jump from the S2, but I like the new features. Love being able to control my TV/Dish box with my phone. Easier to scroll through what's on TV. Battery life is significantly better. My S2 would either be dead or almost dead at the end of my work day. I have at least 35-40% left on my S4 using the same settings as the S2. Other than that it's not much different from the S3 or S2 even.

One more thing I like is to browse web pages in Desktop view as the standard and not Mobile. Not sure if that's an S3 feature or not.

I've had mine for 2 weeks now. Still not a huge jump from the S2, but I like the new features. Love being able to control my TV/Dish box with my phone. Easier to scroll through what's on TV. Battery life is significantly better. My S2 would either be dead or almost dead at the end of my work day. I have at least 35-40% left on my S4 using the same settings as the S2. Other than that it's not much different from the S3 or S2 even.

One more thing I like is to browse web pages in Desktop view as the standard and not Mobile. Not sure if that's an S3 feature or not.
Most browsers if not all can give you that option. I had a bunch loaded like Firefox, Chrome, etc. on my S3. You can go from Anroid to Desktop, to even iPhone for rendering choices.

How big is that device in your hand from the S2 jump? I'm still grappling with the S3.

Most browsers if not all can give you that option. I had a bunch loaded like Firefox, Chrome, etc. on my S3. You can go from Anroid to Desktop, to even iPhone for rendering choices.

How big is that device in your hand from the S2 jump? I'm still grappling with the S3.
Bigger, but probably same weight. My wife has the S2 Skyrocket and the S4 is just barely bigger than that.

Jumped to the S4 from 4S. A few comments on the first 3 days of use:

• I am stunned at the battery improvement here. With my normal use I am so far out in front of the 4S it's almost unbelievable to me.
  • The default widgets for messages they ship with are clunky, poorly formatted and frustrating. I feel like notification center was a much better implementation of a snapshot. I assume this is something that can be fixed if I search for enough good tweaks, but by default the way notifications are implemented is a step down from ios
  • Keyboard is iffy. It seems to be a little too sensitive and the predictive text isn't as sharp as ios. It could be smaller too. Again, I expect there are some keyboard tweaks out there.
  • Call quality is solid
  • Speed of internet, and running apps/games is much faster than the 4s. Internet is insanely fast on stuff like youtube and netflix which now it seems Apple was throttling intentionally.
More as I come across them. It's still a great upgrade so far as I work through some of the customizations.

Jumped to the S4 from 4S. A few comments on the first 3 days of use:

[*]I am stunned at the battery improvement here. With my normal use I am so far out in front of the 4S it's almost unbelievable to me.

[*]The default widgets for messages they ship with are clunky, poorly formatted and frustrating. I feel like notification center was a much better implementation of a snapshot. I assume this is something that can be fixed if I search for enough good tweaks, but by default the way notifications are implemented is a step down from ios

[*]Keyboard is iffy. It seems to be a little too sensitive and the predictive text isn't as sharp as ios. It could be smaller too. Again, I expect there are some keyboard tweaks out there.

[*]Call quality is solid

[*]Speed of internet, and running apps/games is much faster than the 4s. Internet is insanely fast on stuff like youtube and netflix which now it seems Apple was throttling intentionally.

More as I come across them. It's still a great upgrade so far as I work through some of the customizations.
Yeah, you can completely swap out the notification and keyboards for others if you want to do so. There are a ton of them out there.

Galaxy S4 or HTC One?

I played with both at the Sprint store today. Found myself gravitating to the S4, which surprised me.

Galaxy S4 or HTC One?

I played with both at the Sprint store today. Found myself gravitating to the S4, which surprised me.
I like the One, but if the S4 has an SD card slot and removable battery (which I think the One has neither), the S4 is my choice between them.

Since Sprint is not currently releasing the Galaxy s4 with 32gb and At&T has. I'm seriously considering the switch to AT&T or maybe the better built HTC one.

Sprint please release the 32gb, what's the issue here.... 16gb is crap since 9gb is already used for stock apps and you can't move apps to SD card (unless rooted).
Is this true? It uses that much for bloatware?

I have an S3 with only 16 gigs, and the stock image is nowhere near 9. Even with a bloated kitchen sink S3 ROM with S4 features it still doesn't take 9 gigs.

I have an S3 with only 16 gigs, and the stock image is nowhere near 9. Even with a bloated kitchen sink S3 ROM with S4 features it still doesn't take 9 gigs.
I think that person got the numbers reversed - I've read there is 9 GB of useable memory, which means the ROM/bloatware/unuseable totals around 7 GB..still pretty brutal imo.

I think that person got the numbers reversed - I've read there is 9 GB of useable memory, which means the ROM/bloatware/unuseable totals around 7 GB..still pretty brutal imo.
Right now I have around 12 gigs available, with a trimmed AOSP ROM along with the regular Google Apps at flash that are only around 300 mbs as far as images. Other ROMs that are TouchWiz based usually are at 700 mbs to over 1 gb in size. With a full wipe my capacity reads less than 16 gigs, without backups and the OS. But I use most of that capacity for apps, with the SD card for music and data, as well as the backups and other ROM's to flash.

I wanted the 32 gig at time of purchase, but it wasn't available. Unless I put a whole boatload of media on the internal storage, I still have plenty for apps. I picked the S3 over the iPhone at the time of purchase due to the external storage and price-per-spec. I don't know why other manufacturers give up the SD card slot. To me it should be a standard on every device.

I've been working on projects with Sprint for 14 years now. Such a horribly run company. They never know what the hell they are doing. It's a systemic issue between product marketing and development. It's amazing they've managed to not implode. Primarily because their image with the public is OK.

Softbank will whip them into shape I hope.

17seconds said:
I've been working on projects with Sprint for 14 years now. Such a horribly run company. They never know what the hell they are doing. It's a systemic issue between product marketing and development. It's amazing they've managed to not implode. Primarily because their image with the public is OK.

Softbank will whip them into shape I hope.
Most companies I've been involved with have this problem. Marketing promises something that development can't deliver.

FYI the charger that comes with the Galaxy S4 is junk. Worked great fora few weeks then nothing. The phone wouldn't even recognize it. Reading through the Android message board it's a problem for many already. Went to Verizon yesterday who upgraded it for free. Whew, glad it wasn't an internal problem with the phone. I lived through the overly hyped Bionic which had is fair share of issues. So far, this is my favorite phone.

FYI the charger that comes with the Galaxy S4 is junk. Worked great fora few weeks then nothing. The phone wouldn't even recognize it. Reading through the Android message board it's a problem for many already. Went to Verizon yesterday who upgraded it for free. Whew, glad it wasn't an internal problem with the phone. I lived through the overly hyped Bionic which had is fair share of issues. So far, this is my favorite phone.
Luckily for me I have many chargers that work with it.. We have 3 Kindles in our house, and I also use to have a Blackberry and the chargers for all of those work just as well. :thumbup:

Is there a point that we know of when the second production wave of these phones will start being shipped around? I'm always hesitant to grab an initial order of new tech.

Is there a point that we know of when the second production wave of these phones will start being shipped around? I'm always hesitant to grab an initial order of new tech.
I wouldn't worry about this device. It's practically a smaller Galaxy Note 2. Samsung has probably ironed out most of the kinks in all of their Galaxy devices in the last few years. Software issues get updated fixes. Samsung hardware is solid. I saw this video a while back showing robots and things stress testing the devices. Pretty rigorous testing, like a siulated back pocket butt sitting. lol

I have the s4. I switched from iPhone. Overall I am glad I switched it is a great phone. SwiftKey app alone makes it worth the switch. There is one thing you should verify before you switch, make sure your essential apps are offered with android. One thing I have noticed about the browser I don't like is it seems to take longer to rotate then iPhone. Also I wish there was a quick way to go the top of the screen and I wish it had a reader button like apple does. I use Google phone and it seems a bit slower in response when I type numbers then iPhone.

Users who are viewing this thread