What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (10 Viewers)

My guess is Jon ends up sacrificing himself to kill Dany. And Sansa sits on the Iron Throne at the end and marries her new hand Tyrion

Help me out here.  The only evidence that Jon Snow was not a ******* and has a claim upon the throne was a text written by a guy, now dead, who recorded among other matters, his own bowel movements?  

https://youtu.be/H5j0Ofob1Xs

This video review sums up my thoughts on the episode perfectly. What an effen train wreck this was. Episode 8.2 where nothing happened except great character interaction, which is what made this show great, is by far my favorite of season 8. 

The cross-examiner in me is coming out.  My apologies.  It is canon.  I guess its not like anybody is going to cross-examine the seer. 

"So, Mr. 3-eyed Raven is it?  You saw this?"  With which eye, eye #3?  BTW, I see neither feathers nor a third eye as you take the witness seat since we can't actually call it a witness stand in your case, now can we?"

Last edited by a moderator:
The cross-examiner in me is coming out.  My apologies.  It is canon.  I guess its not like anybody is going to cross-examine the seer. 

"So, Mr. 3-eyed Raven is it?  You saw this?"  with which eye, eye #3?  BTW, I see neither feathers nor a third eye as you take the witness seat since we can't actually call it a witness stand in your case, now can we?"
You are right thought it would be pretty easy for Dany and her supporters to deny Jon's claim as bunk. Also Jon didn't want to be king.

You are right thought it would be pretty easy for Dany and her supporters to deny Jon's claim as bunk. Also Jon didn't want to be king.
If I were he I would not have believed it.  By living in denial I could keep scronking the hot blonde chick.  By accepting it I immediately place a bulls-eye on my back and unless I am down with the whole incest thing, well no more mother of dragons sex for me. 

https://youtu.be/H5j0Ofob1Xs

This video review sums up my thoughts on the episode perfectly. What an effen train wreck this was. Episode 8.2 where nothing happened except great character interaction, which is what made this show great, is by far my favorite of season 8. 
Yeah Tyrion's character has been really ruined since he killed his dad. He went from being one of the best characters in TV history to being one of the most boring unimportant characters. I disagree with the Jamie Lannister take here though. I know Jamie tried to change and made some progress, but just like on Mad Men, people are who they are and don't always follow arcs. 

Yeah Tyrion's character has been really ruined since he killed his dad. He went from being one of the best characters in TV history to being one of the most boring unimportant characters. I disagree with the Jamie Lannister take here though. I know Jamie tried to change and made some progress, but just like on Mad Men, people are who they are and don't always follow arcs. 
I still cannot believe dany made Tyrion her hand 

Last edited by a moderator:
I still cannot believe dany made Tyrion her hand 
Right, and as her Hand he screwed up left and right. Even so far as to spread the secret she considered sacred. Why was he given so many chances? I wish he would have had a more interesting role in the final season or 2. 

Right, and as her Hand he screwed up left and right. Even so far as to spread the secret she considered sacred. Why was he given so many chances? I wish he would have had a more interesting role in the final season or 2. 
And why wouldn't  dany just kill Tyrion when she killed varys? Why even keep him around?

Why did Dany execute Varys and not Tyrion? Did Varys actually warn Cersei about the attack and that was the cause of the ambush?

I know, I'm going to get the "whining because it didn't end the way you thought" junk, but:

My take was that the people around Dany were scared because they thought she would stoop to killing innocents to get to Cersei and the throne.  That is why she started letting people in King's Landing - to make the forces go through innocent people, which she didn't think they'd do.  BUT, I still thought the end game was getting to Cersei (basically she was staring at the Red Keep while sitting on the wall, right?).  So when she took off, I thought oh #### - she is going to fly straight at the keep, destroy it, but on the the way maybe carve a path in the city to #### stuff up and strike fear into the people of KL.  I just thought it was a weird turn to see her systematically circling through and destroying everything and everyone.  

Why did Dany execute Varys and not Tyrion? Did Varys actually warn Cersei about the attack and that was the cause of the ambush?
I assumed because Tyrion came to her and revealed that she had been betrayed, she assumed he was ok? IDK. Also why were Varys and Jon plotting out in the open?  

How did Tyrion survive last week? Cersei sends a bounty hunter to kill him and then Tyrion just shows up at her doorstep with 100 archers pointed at his head. Why wouldn't she kill him exactly? 

hagmania said:
Wow, Bald Move - two guys who have generally been even keel and pretty fair - just popped off on this episode. Kind of shocking tbh, almost as if they had been playing nice for a while and were looking for a reason to go ballistic.

They call it "showrunner malpractice" lolol.
How dare you ruin my favorite character.  Ned Stark would never have caught that easily and even if he was he'd never have lied and admitted to treason. 

How dare you kill my favorite character.  Robb would never have gone back on his word. And he'd never fall in love with some random woman when he was honour bound to avenge his father.  

How dare you....

We could do this all day.  It's just easier to second guess the show runners because it's the end of the show and there's no source material to act as canon so people want things the way they wanted them.  

I assumed because Tyrion came to her and revealed that she had been betrayed, she assumed he was ok? IDK. Also why were Varys and Jon plotting out in the open?  

How did Tyrion survive last week? Cersei sends a bounty hunter to kill him and then Tyrion just shows up at her doorstep with 100 archers pointed at his head. Why wouldn't she kill him exactly? 
Yeah I asked this last week? I assume Tyrion will live just based on these last two weeks. I just wished the writers would stop putting him in situations two weeks in a row that called for his obvious death.

"So, Mr. 3-eyed Raven is it?  You saw this?"  With which eye, eye #3?  BTW, I see neither feathers nor a third eye as you take the witness seat since we can't actually call it a witness stand in your case, now can we?"
I'm telling you, if they manage to pull off a Jon Dany confrontation that is almost identical to Eddard and Cersei in the throne room after Robert died it would be really cool.

For those who think Dany or anyone else acted “out of character”, have you guys not met...... people? 

Maybe I grew up in the worst environment (which is probably the case,) but in my experience even the people you least espect more often than not do cruddy stuff. 

For those who think Dany or anyone else acted “out of character”, have you guys not met...... people? 

Maybe I grew up in the worst environment (which is probably the case,) but in my experience even the people you least espect more often than not do cruddy stuff and rarely is it expected.

Not going to lie.... when they walked Varys outside to the execution grounds I had a decent moment where I thought she was actually going to kill Tyrion.  Similar to the switcharoo that Sansa and Arya did to  Littlefinger.  

I may have even muttered to no one in particular...…. please don't kill Tyrion.

Great episode, with the exception of the Euron and Jaime fight.  

Euron's boat gets blown up, but somehow he manages to swim what looks like a mile in full battle garb, and when he finally comes ashore, it is at the same spot and at the exact same moment when Jaime is rushing into the secret passageway, and he's like "Lannister!  Let's fight!", and he pulls out his ####### sword which he apparently swam all that way with.  He then puts two deep stab wounds into Jaime's gut, which nearly kills Jaime, but somehow Jaime barely struggles to get his sword and kills Euron.  Then, in spite of Jaime's mortal wounds, he runs into the tunnel, climbs stairs equivalent to the Empire State Building, finds Cersei, and then brings her back down the endless stairs so they can hug and be buried alive.

I get the symbolism for the Cersei and Jamie snuff, but the Euron distraction was stupid and WAY over the top.  

Yeah I asked this last week? I assume Tyrion will live just based on these last two weeks. I just wished the writers would stop putting him in situations two weeks in a row that called for his obvious death.
I just assumed it was the endgame and outline that GRRM gave them - Sam/Tyrion/Sansa/Jon live, Dany goes bonkers, Jaime and Cersei die together, and don't forget a cool zombie kidnapping scene - go!

So like you said, basically put Tyrion in sticky spots, but he's surviving to the end. 

Euron's boat gets blown up, but somehow he manages to swim what looks like a mile in full battle garb, and when he finally comes ashore, it is at the same spot and at the exact same moment when Jaime is rushing into the secret passageway, and he's like "Lannister!  Let's fight!", and he pulls out his ####### sword which he apparently swam all that way with.  He then puts two deep stab wounds into Jaime's gut, which nearly kills Jaime, but somehow Jaime barely struggles to get his sword and kills Euron.  Then, in spite of Jaime's mortal wounds, he runs into the tunnel, climbs stairs equivalent to the Empire State Building, finds Cersei, and then brings her back down the endless stairs so they can hug and be buried alive.

I get the symbolism for the Cersei and Jamie snuff, but the Euron distraction was stupid and WAY over the top.  
Nobody seems to sink in the water seemingly no matter what they carry.  

How dare you ruin my favorite character.  Ned Stark would never have caught that easily and even if he was he'd never have lied and admitted to treason. 

How dare you kill my favorite character.  Robb would never have gone back on his word. And he'd never fall in love with some random woman when he was honour bound to avenge his father.  

How dare you....

We could do this all day.  It's just easier to second guess the show runners because it's the end of the show and there's no source material to act as canon so people want things the way they wanted them.  
I don't think they're criticizing the choices made about characters. One of them said they had taken Dany to the edge nigh on perfectly, and that they refused to show the push over that precipice.

yes them meeting at the same time on that beach was terrible

So it seems King Robert was right all along. 
Bobby B had the right idea in portending Dany at the ill-fated council prior to his Boar gore ... it was Ned with the "i'm not worried about a little girl across the sea with 3 supposed dragon eggs" that put the kibosh on it, and really set both of them on their respective demises ... Varys did come thisclose with the poison wine, but, oddly enough, it was his inside conspirator, Jorah the Explorer, who intervened (he had fallen in love with her, obviously)  

surprised Joffrey/Tywin didn't go more balls out to derail her ... they certainly had all the power once the Red Wedding concluded - but, yeah, Dany had amassed some troops by then. 

I don't think they're criticizing the choices made about characters. One of them said they had taken Dany to the edge nigh on perfectly, and that they refused to show the push over that precipice.
That was my take as well - that they felt they didn't show that final push that sent her over the edge, and that Varys went out like a chump, etc..    Plus, like others in here, the Euron/Jaime meeting seemed to have pushed them over the edge for the episode as well.   Interested to listen to it for the full episode to see if they've calmed down on the episode after letting it settle in a bit.  

Users who are viewing this thread