What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Aaron Hernandez current dynasty value (1 Viewer)

Jolly went away for Purple Drank. Buress went away because a gun discharged accidentally and shot himself in the thigh. Two people are dead in two different incidents here.

Sell

at this point i think his value in rookie picks is in the late 2nd to early 3rd range.

using a pick like that which will most likely bust anyway is worth the risk that Hernandez gets off OJ style and only misses a season or two.
It would take at least a mid 2nd to get my attention. The bust rate on late 2nd's and later are extremely high and at least I know he can be a stud if he plays. I'd rather hold onto him for less than that even if it means keeping him on the bench for a couple years while he's in jail.
nothing sucks more than holding a wasted roster spot for a couple years. Ever week of the season, you'll be cursing his name when it comes to waivwe wire pickups and drops.

I just threw out an offer of:

Tony Gonzalez

Eric Decker

Stevie Johnson

for

Aaron Hernandez

Percy Harvin

Guy has Tamme and Paulson as his TE's, Heyward Bey, Tate, Torrey Smith and Victor Cruz as his other TE/WR.

I just threw out an offer of:

Tony Gonzalez

Eric Decker

Stevie Johnson

for

Aaron Hernandez

Percy Harvin

Guy has Tamme and Paulson as his TE's, Heyward Bey, Tate, Torrey Smith and Victor Cruz as his other TE/WR.
Your offer isn't good enough for Harvin alone.

steelcityman said:
He is never going to play a down again.
I don't know if I agree. For this to be true, they'll need to get a conviction for a crime that puts him away for a long time. If he cops a plea like Lewis did or gets aquitted like OJ did, he'll play again. Even if the Patriots are convinced he's a murderer, they'll take him back with open arms.

jmo87usc said:
I just gave fleener for Ahern straight up. And I don't care if he never plays another snap. Good risk to me.
These are the kind of posts that are best left unsaid.
Why is that? I'm offering my opinion on Aherns current dynasty value. In a 1 TE league, he is worth giving Fleener, who may never amount to anything but a TE2.

I'll take the chance that he takes the Ray Lewis/Michael Vick route. If he doesn't, no big loss.

jmo87usc said:
I just gave fleener for Ahern straight up. And I don't care if he never plays another snap. Good risk to me.
I'm in this league and getting crucified for calling out the ridiculous trade.

I can't believe he was traded for so little.

And nobody else seems to care.

It's a $300 Dynasty league!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
jmo87usc said:

Not the same league, but funny to hear that.

Lets reset the panic button some.

Hernandez appears to be in some trouble; let's assume that just so we are all evaluating from the same position. So lets assume he is in trouble and let's assume he won't play for five years. As crazy as that seems to hold a player, lets remember that if that happened, he would still be young enough to come back and put up five more years of top production. That's not a given of course but with all things being equal, the point is to illustrate that, given his known level of talent, isn't it crazy to even consider trading him away for such low compensation?

If you tell me today that he won't play for two years, I'm still holding a dynasty spot for him and saying "see you when you're 25" before I'm trading him away for 3rd rounders and houslers and second rate talent.

Hernandez appears to be in some trouble; let's assume that just so we are all evaluating from the same position. So lets assume he is in trouble and let's assume he won't play for five years. As crazy as that seems to hold a player, lets remember that if that happened, he would still be young enough to come back and put up five more years of top production. That's not a given of course but with all things being equal, the point is to illustrate that, given his known level of talent, isn't it crazy to even consider trading him away for such low compensation?

If you tell me today that he won't play for two years, I'm still holding a dynasty spot for him and saying "see you when you're 25" before I'm trading him away for 3rd rounders and houslers and second rate talent.
C'mon Shout, 5 yrs in prison and you are a buyer?

I'll still be a buyer if he's sentenced to 5 years -- he'll serve 2 then after a year suspension he'll hit the field again at 26. The only way his career is over is if he actually gets convicted for personally pulling the trigger.

jmo87usc said:

Yes, the trade is totally bogus. That guy could have gotten some real actual value for Fleener, rather than just a significant no-play risk. After all, the Colts plan do to use Fleener much more this year as a vertical threat this year. What was he thinking? I'd quit that league if I were you..

jmo87usc said:

Yes, the trade is totally bogus. That guy could have gotten some real actual value for Fleener, rather than just a significant no-play risk. After all, the Colts plan do to use Fleener much more this year as a vertical threat this year. What was he thinking? I'd quit that league if I were you..
You went back and edited this post, and it still reads like this? Interesting.

But seriously, how is Fleener for Hernandez a terrible bet to make? If I offered Fleener for Hernandez a week ago, the owner would have laughed in my face.

This is the period where we have to guess if he is guilty or innocent based on what we are hearing in the media. I choose to bet he can afford a lawyer who can make most of this go away, no matter what the true story is.

Giving the TE 18 for even a slim chance at the TE 4 is a good bet for me. Especially when my league only starts one TE.

That was last week's news. I'm laughing at you thinking that this was a terrible trade for the ex -Hernandez owner. He may just have pulled off a great trade by getting Fleener. I happen to think he got good value. Nobody knows the outcome, but I'd venture say there's a fair probability that Hernandez never plays another down in the NFL.

Just offered Jordan Cameron for Ahern and was shot down. His value will either shoot up or even further down in the next few days, curious to see who regret's that offer.

Instead of assuming he won't play for five years, why don't we assign a level of probability based on what we know now?

Here is a guess:

Not sure how this happens, but ok - Nothing comes of it, plays all season - 5%

Cooperates with police, someone else did it, gets slap on wrist - Misses significant time (4-10 games) - 20%

Takes year off to battle legal troubles for season, ultimately gets off - Misses 1 season - 20%

Eventual accessory to murder conviction or indefinite ban by Goodall with later reinstatement - Misses multiple seasons (2-5 years) - 30%

Murder conviction or lifetime ban or both - NFL Career Is Over - 25%

Does this seem far off to most of you? I actually am struggling to not assign much higher probabilities to the last three choices, but am trying not to overreact. Hard not to, given the way Hernandez has acted guilty with cleaners, cell destruction, security destruction and by the various news reports.

That was last week's news. I'm laughing at you thinking that this was a terrible trade for the ex -Hernandez owner. He may just have pulled off a great trade by getting Fleener. I happen to think he got good value. Nobody knows the outcome, but I'd venture say there's a fair probability that Hernandez never plays another down in the NFL.
I gotcha. I'm not the one who thinks the trade is terrible for the ex-Hernandez owner, but I am one of the ones who traded Fleener for Hernandez. I think it actually made sense for both teams.

He needed a TE in case Hernandez never plays again and I have 5 decent TEs. Witten is my starter, then Gates, Keller, Allen and Fleener were backups. To me, it was worth risking Fleener for the potential of Hernandez playing again, even if the probability is slim.

Instead of assuming he won't play for five years, why don't we assign a level of probability based on what we know now?

Here is a guess:

Cooperates with police, someone else did it, gets slap on wrist - Misses significant time (4-10 games) - 20%

Takes year off to battle legal troubles for season, ultimately gets off - Misses 1 season - 20%

Eventual accessory to murder conviction or indefinite ban by Goodall with later reinstatement - Misses multiple seasons (2-5 years) - 30%

Does this seem far off to most of you? I actually am struggling to not assign much higher probabilities to the last three choices, but am trying not to overreact. Hard not to, given the way Hernandez has acted guilty with cleaners, cell destruction, security destruction and by the various news reports.
I think takes year off to battle legal troubles might be a bit low while options 4 and 5 might be a bit high. I think there's a relatively high probability that he either killed the guy or was an accessory to murder but walks due to a top notch defense team and/or lack of evidence.

jmo87usc said:

This is really a new low in the trade veto game.

I now think you could trade a dead stud for a prospect and someone would veto it because the prospect isn't worth enough.

Ballard got bought off waivers in a couple leagues yesterday. Both buyers bid a reasonable chunk of their waiver budget, which is generally significant because most try to save for pre-season gems.

Personally, not a big believer in Ballard. Maybe a few startable games here and there, but if both Gronk and AH are out longer term, I'd expect the stats to trickle to both TEs and a couple WRs. There is Hoomanawanui who can catch a few balls and then there are guys like Donald Jones or Edelman.
Not so long ago, the Patriots didn't use TEs at all. I would expect that again unless Gronk and AHern are the guys there. Ballard and Hooman will never fill the shoes of either of those guys, so the gameplan would just change.
Not so long ago Ballard posted 600+ uses and 4 TDs in 14 games as a rookie, too.
Was that before or after the ACL and Microfracture surgery? 275lbs, recent knee reconstruction......ummmm, thanks but I'll pass. Pretty sure he's not going to fill the void of either Gronk or Hernandez. Maybe right tackle.

Here is a guess:

I think the last two probabilities are high and the third is low. I don't think there's a real chance his NFL career is over. I'd bump that down to 10%, lower the 2-5 ban to 25%, and raise the 1 season ban to 40%.

Here is a guess:

I think the last two probabilities are high and the third is low. I don't think there's a real chance his NFL career is over. I'd bump that down to 10%, lower the 2-5 ban to 25%, and raise the 1 season ban to 40%.
Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

Ray Lewis had blood all over his suit (which police never found, hint hint) from a guy getting stabbed to death at the nightclub after an altercation with HIS FRIENDS, and he only got a FINE, with NO SUSPENSIONS.

Why would there be even a remote chance of Hernandez getting suspended for a season?

Also, Ray Lewis was actually charged with murder. Last I heard Hernandez was not even considered a primary suspect.

Here is a guess:

Where do you guys come up with this stuff?Ray Lewis had blood all over his suit (which police never found, hint hint) from a guy getting stabbed to death at the nightclub after an altercation with HIS FRIENDS, and he only got a FINE, with NO SUSPENSIONS.

Why would there be even a remote chance of Hernandez getting suspended for a season?
Have you ever heard of Roger Goodell?

Enough going on now, Hern WILL be suspended by Goodell. 100% certain of it. Far too much stuff out there now.

Not even sure Goodell lets him play this year while a trial or whatever would be going on. "Indefinite suspension".

Why are people so quick to assume that yf he goes to prison for an extended period of time he can just come back and pick up where he left off? Because Vick did it? That is a bold assumption IMO. There is just as good a chance he gets totally out of shape and never has an impact.

I am gonna treat this like a preseason blown ACL.

Gonna say no conviction, but 1 year suspension.
This is exactly how I feel as well. He's 23, has a ton of money to pay off lawyers and he'll play again. It's the reality of our messed up legal system. Everyone needs to stop playing Judge Judy and realize the rich get away with murder...literally. The longer they go without arresting him, the more I feel confident he'll get off somehow with minimal time and this will all be a tiny footnote in his long career.

Was just offered this trade in a 12 team PPR dynasty and I am still having a hard time accepting. Am I nuts?

I give: Hernandez & Stedman Bailey

I get: Fleener, DeSean Jackson, 2nd in 2014

Under these circumstances its probably worth taking but finding it hard to hit accept. Anyone else reluctant to sell, even at this kind of price?

Why are people so quick to assume that yf he goes to prison for an extended period of time he can just come back and pick up where he left off? Because Vick did it? That is a bold assumption IMO. There is just as good a chance he gets totally out of shape and never has an impact.
Or, that if/when he returns it's not to the Patriots/Brady/Belichick who may have decided to move on from his punk behavior, and/or Brady may have retired. Are teams going to let him be a focal point of the offense, knowing he's a major behavioral risk, or a pariah to the fan base? Too many Hernandez apologists in this thread are just assuming everything will be just dandy when he returns, like he never left. Pretty unlikely if you ask me. It's definitely NOT like returning from an ACL as someone said he's going to treat it.

Or, that if/when he returns it's not to the Patriots/Brady/Belichick who may have decided to move on from his punk behavior, and/or Brady may have retired. Are teams going to let him be a focal point of the offense, knowing he's a major behavioral risk, or a pariah to the fan base? Too many Hernandez apologists in this thread are just assuming everything will be just dandy when he returns, like he never left. Pretty unlikely if you ask me. It's definitely NOT like returning from an ACL as someone said he's going to treat it.
Yep, totally agree with you. The guy has had 3-4 run ins with the law related to firearms, a couple for drugs and fights. Even if his current legal issues don't land him in jail or suspended long, what makes you think he is going to stay out of trouble going forward? And I almost see this is two strikes for the guy in the NFL's eyes, Next issue and hes probably done.

Hernandez still being drafted on fantasy football calcular as the third TE like nothing happened. Based on that, should still be able to swap Hern for Witten + picks easy.

Was just offered this trade in a 12 team PPR dynasty and I am still having a hard time accepting. Am I nuts?

Under these circumstances its probably worth taking but finding it hard to hit accept. Anyone else reluctant to sell, even at this kind of price?
I'd probably do that!

Plus Vick sat behind McNabb for a year and wasn't the starter going into his 2nd year back (backup to Kolb). This thinking that he could go away to prison for years and come back as an elite TE is wishful thinking. MAYBE he comes back and has productive years, but I wouldn't keep a roster spot for him for 3 years then hope for the best.

And I doubt he would be welcomed back to the Patriots. He would be some team's TE3 IF he was allowed back into the NFL.

:o that is robbery. the authorities may be coming after you if you accept that.

A game up:

Smith, Torrey BAL WR

Fleener, Coby IND TE

B gave up:

Johnson, Stevie BUF WR

Hernandez, Aaron NEP TE
This just went down.
Yikes. Someone here really burying his head in the sand re the Hernandez situation. The guy who unloaded him for Smith/Fleener must have

been dancing (or at least breathing a sigh of relief) after this one got finalized.
You're really jumping to conclusions here. I don't own Hernandez anywhere, and hate the Patroits and their fans with a passion, but jeez. The guy hasn't even been arrested yet, we have zero clue how involved he was, and he'll have the best legal team that money can buy. The only way that deal is awful is if Hernandez never plays again, which is only one of many, many possibilities here.
I disagree. In FF what we do is project things, that's what FF is all about. We don't have 'zero clue how involved he was.' To ignore completely what has been reported so far, to not take it all into account as part of our own personal 'big picture' (which will vary from fantasy player to fantasy player) is either lazy or senseless or denial. Sure, any outcome from never missing a game to never playing another game is POSSIBLE, but we are in the business of projecting likely outcomes. My personal guess at this point is that he does not play at all this year. My own guess may be wrong, and that's fine, but I can't just bury my head in the sand about it and pretend there's nothing going on. Smart owners project how it will play out, not merely wait until it is all wrapped up with a pretty little bow on top.

Now, I'll also say that I'm high on Fleener and have Torrey Smith at dynasty WR16 in my latest rankings. Steve Johnson has a back problem, is affected by the drafting of 1st and 3rd round WRs this year and a 3rd round WR last year, plus a very talented but troubled player added in Da'Rick Rogers. Johnson's arrow is pointing down, not up, and I have him at dynasty WR35. I don't think this is an unreasonable trade even if Hernandez isn't in a legal mess. Add the likelihood he misses most or all of this season (my opinion), and the possibility he misses multiple seasons while in prison, and this is an easy win for the owner disposing of him.
Woods was a 2nd rounder, not 1st. Johnson will be just fine, and may do better with some better players across from him out there.

Touchdown There said:
Jolly went away for Purple Drank. Buress went away because a gun discharged accidentally and shot himself in the thigh. Two people are dead in two different incidents here.

Sell
Who is the 2nd dead person? In the previous alleged incident, dude got shot in the arm and lost an eye, but nobody died.

Users who are viewing this thread