What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CJ Anderson (4 Viewers)

Just heard that Montee Ball is from the St. Louis area so he's jazzed and he could have an inspired performance just like C.J. last week in Oakland where he bought something like 40 tickets for friends and family when he had no idea that Hillman would go down where he would get a shot to get significant playing time so just putting that out there.

C.J. still gets the start though.
The injury will hold up or it won't completely independent of his level of jazzedness.

DropKick said:
thatguy said:
It's a pointless argument in any case. Obviously I was stating an opinion--not a stone cold fact. That I stated it in a matter of fact manner is semantics. My point was clear. Anderson made a play that changed the course of the game. It took away any momentum Oakland had and got Denver's offense on track. It wasn't just a special play, it was a game changer. And I don't think it's a stretch to assume Peyton prefers to have game changing RBs in the backfield with him. But hey, maybe I'm wrong.
Yes, you're wrong... It was a nice play but this "game changing" hyperbole it a bit much when you consider this was the Oakland Raiders vs. the Denver Broncos. Take a step back and think about it....
If I'm being hyperbolic, than so is Peyton Manning, who has stated pretty much the same thing about that play, and who is not known to throw such high praise around willy nilly. And Oakland or not, the texture of that game changed after that play. Entirely because of that play? Perhaps not. But certainly after it.

In any case, I may be wrong about, or perhaps I'm just overstating, the importance of that play. But I'm not wrong when I state that Peyton, or any QB, would want to play with a game changing RB. As to whether or not Anderson fits that description is up for debate, but I like what I've seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chaka said:
Bracie Smathers said:
Just heard that Montee Ball is from the St. Louis area so he's jazzed and he could have an inspired performance just like C.J. last week in Oakland where he bought something like 40 tickets for friends and family when he had no idea that Hillman would go down where he would get a shot to get significant playing time so just putting that out there.

C.J. still gets the start though.
The injury will hold up or it won't completely independent of his level of jazzedness.
Injury didn't hold up, no jazz. :topcat:

OTOH C.J. put up combined triple digits on back-to-back weeks as he rang up 115 combined rushing/receiving yards but I didn't see the game so I don't know how he looked.

He looked great today. Got all the snaps,...showed very good hands out of the backfield. Game script dictated that they didn't run the ball. Certainly didn't do anything to lose the job.

He looked great today. Got all the snaps,...showed very good hands out of the backfield. Game script dictated that they didn't run the ball. Certainly didn't do anything to lose the job.
how did he look in pass pro?
Solid enough. I didn't see him miss any blocks. Most of the pressure on Manning came on stunts or from Quinn beating Clady around the edge, i.e. the O line was at fault.

how did he look in pass pro?
I'm no scout but they passed probably 5:1 and I didn't see any blatant misses. St. Louis has a good front line and was pushing all game so Manning didn't have much time.

Wow. Talk about the glass being half full.

The Broncos had no rushing attack at all with Anderson in the game. DEN is headed for another playoff loss if this is the best they have on the ground right now. Anderson likely benefitted a bunch with the Thomas injury, but DEN needs a runner, not another reciever. When Thomas is back I'd guess those RB recieving numbers drop quite a bit.

The Broncos had no rushing attack at all with Anderson in the game. DEN is headed for another playoff loss if this is the best they have on the ground right now. Anderson likely benefitted a bunch with the Thomas injury, but DEN needs a runner, not another reciever. When Thomas is back I'd guess those RB recieving numbers drop quite a bit.
Not sure if you're fishing but they ran the ball 9 times. It was all game situation..they were behind all game and never tried to run. They didn't lose due to the running game or lack thereof. They got the #### kicked out of them by St. Louis defense all day.

They abandoned the run in the second quarter. Anderson ran hard but there was nothing there on most of his runs. They didn't give him a chance to get in a groove.

Not sure if you're fishing but they ran the ball 9 times. It was all game situation..they were behind all game and never tried to run. They didn't lose due to the running game or lack thereof. They got the #### kicked out of them by St. Louis defense all day.
Exactly.

They tried to establish some run early and it got nothing. There was no reason to run if it's not going anywhere and all you do is lose a down.

Not saying it would have been any better with anyone else back there, but DEN has to find a way to run the ball or they're an early out in the playoffs.

They tried to establish some run early and it got nothing. There was no reason to run if it's not going anywhere and all you do is lose a down. Not saying it would have been any better with anyone else back there, but DEN has to find a way to run the ball or they're an early out in the playoffs.
Well you have to run it more than 9 times a game then. Also they've been playing the run much better and they're on the road. This game came down to Thomas out and then Sanders out. They were done then. Not enough play makers and St. Louis played a great overall game. Denver has trouble vs physical teams and this was no exception.

They tried to establish some run early and it got nothing. There was no reason to run if it's not going anywhere and all you do is lose a down.

Not saying it would have been any better with anyone else back there, but DEN has to find a way to run the ball or they're an early out in the playoffs.
I agree with this.

They tried to establish some run early and it got nothing. There was no reason to run if it's not going anywhere and all you do is lose a down.Not saying it would have been any better with anyone else back there, but DEN has to find a way to run the ball or they're an early out in the playoffs.
Well you have to run it more than 9 times a game then. Also they've been playing the run much better and they're on the road. This game came down to Thomas out and then Sanders out. They were done then. Not enough play makers and St. Louis played a great overall game.
The Thomas loss hurt. The Sanders loss was brutal. Manning seemed lost after that.

They tried to establish some run early and it got nothing. There was no reason to run if it's not going anywhere and all you do is lose a down.Not saying it would have been any better with anyone else back there, but DEN has to find a way to run the ball or they're an early out in the playoffs.
Well you have to run it more than 9 times a game then. Also they've been playing the run much better and they're on the road. This game came down to Thomas out and then Sanders out. They were done then. Not enough play makers and St. Louis played a great overall game.
The Thomas loss hurt. The Sanders loss was brutal. Manning seemed lost after that.
He's the crutch. Welkers done, tammes awful and then they focus on d Thomas. Game over.

The Broncos had no rushing attack at all with Anderson in the game
that's because Denver made zero attempt to establish a running game from the outset. this game wasn't an indictment on Anderson as much as one on Gase/Manning/Fox and anyone else who formulates the offensive gameplan. Anderson, once again, looked fine running the ball--and I have Anderson in 0 leagues.

that's because Denver made zero attempt to establish a running game from the outset. this game wasn't an indictment on Anderson as much as one on Gase/Manning/Fox and anyone else who formulates the offensive gameplan. Anderson, once again, looked fine running the ball--and I have Anderson in 0 leagues.
You saw something different than I did.

Looks like it's C.J.'s job for the next couple of weeks and if he keeps piling on 100 yard + combined rushing/receiving games I'll take it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2269514-cj-anderson-juwan-thompsons-instant-fantasy-reaction-after-montee-ball-injury

... Montee Ball's return to the lineup lasted less than a half. The Denver Broncos running back left Sunday's 22-8 loss to the St. Louis Rams after apparently re-aggravating his injured groin:

... Ball missed the Broncos' last five games due to a strained groin. He returned this week as the backup to C.J. Anderson, who himself replaced Ball's replacement, Ronnie Hillman, in last week's win over the Oakland Raiders.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Hillman may miss up to six weeks with an injured foot. Anderson, in his second season out of Cal, will likely be the Broncos' primary back going forward purely based on health. Injuries to Ball and Hillman leave Denver with little else in the way of depth...

... Anderson is the only Denver running back worth monitoring. He'll be a top-20 play in every format the rest of the way if he keeps his job...

you saw more than 9 rushing attempts?..

Certainly didn't do anything to lose the job.
At this point the test is: "Are you healthy? If yes, congrats, you're Denver's RB"

The schedule isn't great for the running game until weeks 15 and 16. Good thing is he's being used in the passing game.

Yup.

He's the crutch. Welkers done, tammes awful and then they focus on d Thomas. Game over.
Couldn't agree more. I thought today would have been the perfect time to get Latimer some live game reps with Manning. But nothing... Was he even active? If so his lack of use is a real head scratcher to me.

Couldn't agree more. I thought today would have been the perfect time to get Latimer some live game reps with Manning. But nothing... Was he even active? If so his lack of use is a real head scratcher to me.
Latimer was inactive.

Latimer was inactive.
Latimer being inactive week and and out while Caldwell plays is yet another indictment of Gase/Fox/Manning and anyone else who formulates the offensive gameplan.

Latimer was inactive.
Latimer being inactive week and and out while Caldwell plays is yet another indictment of Gase/Fox/Manning and anyone else who formulates the offensive gameplan.
It's maddening. Caldwell is beyond awful.

He gave me 19 points in fantasy and your boy Ball is out again. Guess that weight loss really didn't do anything for Ball. He may lose more weight while he's out with a groin injury for the season.

I fully expect the broncos to run the ball more next game...they got away from it way too early. Will be very interesting to see what happens with Sanders and Thomas injury situations. I think it's better for CJ to have them there to draw guys away from the LOS...I think Miami is a pretty good vs. the run but I think CJ will have some success and now he has ZERO competition and will likely be a 3 down back regardless of game script. Likely a low end RB1 the rest of the way.

I'm not trying to troll anyone or fish for responses or sidetrack the thread, but a lot of the comments about CJ and his lack of production being based on the OL or a failure to try to establish the running game are the EXACT SAME THINGS that were said when Ball struggled early. My guess is that's what Bronco Billy is pointing out.

I didn't see the game, so all I have is the stat sheet to look at. CJ Anderson by quarter:

1st Quarter - 4 carries for 12 yards; 1 catch for 3 yards

2nd Quarter - 1 carry for 1 yard; 1 reception for 21 yards

SCORE: 13-7 ST. LOUIS

3rd Quarter - 4 carries for 16 yards; 3 receptions for 28 yards

4th Quarter - 3 receptions for 34 yards

Now, there's evidence here to make any argument you want to make. The pro CJ guys can say he didn't get a chance to establish the run, and game script went away from him. Well, true, in the sense he only got 9 carries (5 in the first half), but he also wasn't setting the world on fire with only 13 yards on those 5 first half carries. On the whole, 9 carries for 29 yards is subpar by any measure. He did acquit himself quite well in the passing game, however.

I see both sides here -- opportunity is clearly in CJ's court - he's last man standing right now, and with a supposedly healthy Thompson yesterday, CJ yielded only 1 touch and no rushing attempts. Hillman is at best a few weeks away and potentially out until the playoffs. Ball is probably heading to IR (he probably should at this point, given there was some talk he needed surgery after his first groin injury -- he should've never been out there).

Time will tell, of course... I just wouldn't rule out someone else coming out of the blue here. Those anti-CJ folks are right - Denver's GOT to run the ball better moving forward, whether that's with more production from CJ, a Hillman return, or a Kapri Bibbs PS call up.

ETA -- Bibbs is on the active roster and has been for the past 3 weeks after Buffalo tried to sign him when they lost FJax and Spiller. Gameday inactive thus far, but with Ball now likely out for an extended period, Bibbs will be up. Considering they've moved away from Thompson, if CJ struggles next game (due to whatever - script, OL, DL in the backfield, etc.), we may see Bibbs get a shot.

:lmao: Too soon to draw any conclusions at all about Anderson, but it's pretty obvious that Billy will still be trolling this thread even if CJ pulls on a gold jersey in Canton.
I'll be starting Anderson next week in FF. That said, half his runs were for 1 yd or less before his last 9 yd gainer. DEN has to run the ball better or they're not going far in the playoffs, and some of the reasons Anderson didn't succeed were some of the same reasons Ball didn't this year before he got hurt.

Anderson is not a difference maker, nor is he better than Ball, as much as some here want to be the genius that was on his bandwagon from the start.

And you might want to step down from your pedestal enough to realize that just because someone has the audacity and temerity not to line up in lockstep with your opinion that perhaps he's not trolling but rather instead is providing a different perspective.

:lmao: Too soon to draw any conclusions at all about Anderson, but it's pretty obvious that Billy will still be trolling this thread even if CJ pulls on a gold jersey in Canton.
I'll be starting Anderson next week in FF.That said, half his runs were for 1 yd or less before his last 9 yd gainer. DEN has to run the ball better or they're not going far in the playoffs, and some of the reasons Anderson didn't succeed were some of the same reasons Ball didn't this year before he got hurt.

Anderson is not a difference maker, nor is he better than Ball, as much as some here want to be the genius that was on his bandwagon from the start.

And you might want to step down from your pedestal enough to realize that just because someone has the audacity and temerity not to line up in lockstep with your opinion that perhaps he's not trolling but rather instead is providing a different perspective.
Anderson doesn't need to be a "difference makerl" to be effective and, like Hillman before him (and unlike Ball this season), he is putting up solid yardage numbers.

And it isn't your failure to fall into "lockstep with your opinion" that is the problem it's the tone you use to offer contrary opinions.

:goodposting:

Chaka said:
Bronco Billy said:
I'll be starting Anderson next week in FF.That said, half his runs were for 1 yd or less before his last 9 yd gainer. DEN has to run the ball better or they're not going far in the playoffs, and some of the reasons Anderson didn't succeed were some of the same reasons Ball didn't this year before he got hurt.

Anderson doesn't need to be a "difference makerl" to be effective and, like Hillman before him (and unlike Ball this season), he is putting up solid yardage numbers. And it isn't your failure to fall into "lockstep with your opinion" that is the problem it's the tone you use to offer contrary opinions.
Tone? Really?

And it's funny how those whose sensitivities are so delicate that their egos are damaged by a little adversarial discussion have no problem dishing out insults themselves in response.

For pete's sake, aren't we discussing football here? Let's have a little back and forth and have enough fortitude to do so and enjoy it - as long as it isn't personal. It's nice to see others allowed to be passionate in their position.

With Ball aggravating his groin and Hillman's foot sidelining him for longer than expected, it's clearly Anderson's job from here on out.

Manning's performance against STL had nothing to do with Anderson or an inability to establish a running game. Just came down to weapons. Manning lost his. And he was clearly rattled in the pocket. Throws were off. He felt rushed.

I don't see anything in Sunday's game to suggest Anderson sees any bench time. He's the 3 down back.

If anything, Anderson's numbers suffered because DEN couldn't get a passing game established. No RB has a chance when the D isn't scared of the pass.

The Denver Post reports Montee Ball will be sidelined 2-3 weeks after aggravating his groin injury in Sunday's loss to the Rams.

Chaka said:
Bronco Billy said:

Anderson doesn't need to be a "difference makerl" to be effective and, like Hillman before him (and unlike Ball this season), he is putting up solid yardage numbers. And it isn't your failure to fall into "lockstep with your opinion" that is the problem it's the tone you use to offer contrary opinions.
Tone? Really?And it's funny how those whose sensitivities are so delicate that their egos are damaged by a little adversarial discussion have no problem dishing out insults themselves in response.

For pete's sake, aren't we discussing football here? Let's have a little back and forth and have enough fortitude to do so and enjoy it - as long as it isn't personal. It's nice to see others allowed to be passionate in their position.
I'm not going to lie, when montee ball went down on the first series, the first thing I thought about was you lol

Users who are viewing this thread