What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CJ Anderson (4 Viewers)

is now the time to hold on Booker and Henderson or sell ya think?
I've always liked Booker and always thought he deserves a shot, esp. with his receiving ability. If the Broncos draft Nelson, with the addition of the new OL coach, there could be some value here.

Obviously they will be drafting an RB at this point, however. 

I've always liked Booker and always thought he deserves a shot, esp. with his receiving ability. If the Broncos draft Nelson, with the addition of the new OL coach, there could be some value here.

Obviously they will be drafting an RB at this point, however. 
I would expect this regardless of Booker or Hendersons standings with the team

Can someone explain Denver’s reasoning for doing this to me like I’m an 8 year old?  Maybe I’m too high on CJ or maybe I don’t fully understand Denver’s cap situation but I don’t see the reasons behind just releasing him.  He’s productive when he plays and he’s not old. Do they really like Booker and Henderson that much?  Or is the plan to draft a rookie RB in the first 3 rounds?
He fell out of favor and want to hand the reigns to booker for this season. 

Can someone explain Denver’s reasoning for doing this to me like I’m an 8 year old?  Maybe I’m too high on CJ or maybe I don’t fully understand Denver’s cap situation but I don’t see the reasons behind just releasing him.  He’s productive when he plays and he’s not old. Do they really like Booker and Henderson that much?  Or is the plan to draft a rookie RB in the first 3 rounds?
Other than a half season stretch where he was the RB behind Manning and one of the best passing offenses in the history of the NFL, there is nothing about CJA that is anything more than average. He wasn’t productive in college, isn’t athletic and has just been ok outside of that one small stretch. 

Texans don't have a 1st or 2nd but they have three 3rds; the perfect spot to take a rookie RB. They've already got an overpaid 27 year old RB on the roster, don't need another one.
It's also a perfect spot to get interior line and secondary help.

If you don't think CJA is an upgrade from Miller then I get where you are coming from. I think he is as long as they don't overpay in a bidding war - which I also don't think they'd have to. 

Signing an available free agent that upgrades your team is like getting an extra draft pick. If they use one of their limited number of picks on a RB then it's one less on the other things they need. 

I'd love to hear more about the take on this.

I get the fear of the Broncos drafting a RB to start but has Booker been given a chance to start?  Will he?  If he is considered a "sell" how low a price would you sell him for assuming the guy on the other side might think he is a sell too.

I'm not taking a stance here one way or the other just looking for a bit more discussion and thoughts on this.

I get the fear of the Broncos drafting a RB to start but has Booker been given a chance to start?  Will he?  If he is considered a "sell" how low a price would you sell him for assuming the guy on the other side might think he is a sell too.

I'm not taking a stance here one way or the other just looking for a bit more discussion and thoughts on this.
He couldn’t really wrestle away the bulk of the work from CJ (who the Broncos don’t think much of). He’s had a lower ypc both seasons than CJ. He was a 4th round pick  in a bad RB class. What’s there to like? It seems very likely the Broncos draft a more takdnted RB.

He couldn’t really wrestle away the bulk of the work from CJ (who the Broncos don’t think much of). He’s had a lower ypc both seasons than CJ. He was a 4th round pick  in a bad RB class. What’s there to like? It seems very likely the Broncos draft a more takdnted RB.
So, back to my question, if you think he is that poorly valued, you might not get much.  What is the "reward" in the risk/reward scenario where you would sell?

I mean, CJ was no great shakes of a player but he was very valuable for a stretch in fantasy.

So, back to my question, if you think he is that poorly valued, you might not get much.  What is the "reward" in the risk/reward scenario where you would sell?

I mean, CJ was no great shakes of a player but he was very valuable for a stretch in fantasy.
I kind of answered this above but someone in your league might be thinking he’s their starter. If you can sell as a starting RB, do it. The risk is the Broncos draft one of the many super talented RBs and Booker becomes Wendell Smallwood. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I kind of answered this above but someone in your league might be thinking he’s their starter. If you can sell as a starting RB, do it. The risk is the Broncos draft one of the many super talented RBs and Booker becomes Wendell Smallwood. 
If I could get something like a 2nd I'd do it but anything less I'd hold on the chance he DOES start and do well. 

Just curious, I keep seeing people say Houston and not just on this board. Are the Texans not confident in Foreman? I just feel they would be better off going with Foreman, Miller and drafting a rb at some point instead of paying CJ bigger money then the rookie would get. 

Just curious, I keep seeing people say Houston and not just on this board. Are the Texans not confident in Foreman? I just feel they would be better off going with Foreman, Miller and drafting a rb at some point instead of paying CJ bigger money then the rookie would get. 
 Foreman blew his Achilles and Miller is not good. The Texans have approximately $35 million in space and CJA will cost less than his Denver contact.  Money is not an issue. They don't have 1st or 2nd round picks and have a few needs. 

I'm not sure any RB has come back to form from an Achilles injury like Foreman's.

Foreman blew his Achilles and Miller is not good. The Texans have approximately $35 million in space and CJA will cost less than his Denver contact.  Money is not an issue. They don't have 1st or 2nd round picks and have a few needs. 
What’s the deal with Millers contract? Any chance he gets cut?

Me neither but I think it says they can cut him for a $2 mill cap hit
Yeah. They would only save $1 million in dead cap by delaying releasing Miller until 2019.

Because of Foremans injury i think they keep Miller this season, but if they do add RB(s) in the draft they could cut Miller if they needed some cap space.

At least for now it increases Booker and Hendersons value as they both have the opportunity to win the starting job.

There likely will be a RB selected as well which will further muddy the situation. 

Elway was never really sold on Anderson as the starter. When they match the offer made by Miami it was done somewhat reluctantly and with some conditions for Anderson to keep it long term. He obviously didn't do enough for them to want to keep paying him that much.

According to this the Broncos have about $10 million in cap space for 2018 before saving another $4.5 million for cutting Anderson with no dead money. I don't think this accounts for projected rookie contracts however. According to this the Broncos only have about $2 to $4 million cap space after rookie contracts (with Anderson off the books already). They had to make a move to have enough for their rookie contracts.

Booker must be a superb practice player because he looks subpar in games.  It’s hard to believe that his supporters have actually watched him play for extended periods, just as hard as it is to believe DEN thinks they are better with Booker rather than Anderson.

Booker must be a superb practice player because he looks subpar in games.  It’s hard to believe that his supporters have actually watched him play for extended periods, just as hard as it is to believe DEN thinks they are better with Booker rather than Anderson.
Mostly likely his supporters are holding out hope he looks like the back we saw in college.

Rev up the DeAngelo Henderson train!  Guy looked like an MJD clone when he was on the field, granted most of that was pre-season.

What’s the deal with Millers contract? Any chance he gets cut?
I don't really get how to read all this...

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/lamar-miller-9910/
Lamar Miller is due $5.75M in new money this year, which the Texans would save by cutting him. If they keep him, then they can also keep him in 2019 for $6.25M in new money.

Less importantly, there is $2M in cap hit left over from his signing bonus. $1M will count against the 2018 salary cap, and the other $1M will either count against the 2018 cap or the 2019 cap depending on what they do.

Lamar Miller is due $5.75M in new money this year, which the Texans would save by cutting him. If they keep him, then they can also keep him in 2019 for $6.25M in new money.

Less importantly, there is $2M in cap hit left over from his signing bonus. $1M will count against the 2018 salary cap, and the other $1M will either count against the 2018 cap or the 2019 cap depending on what they do.
So they'd probably get a better back for less money in signing CJA. And the cap hit is next to nothing for releasing Miller . 

I guess the idea is that between today and when the Broncos draft a RB next week, Booker may be at the highest value he will ever attain, so one should sell immediately if possible.

I don't know. I own him in a couple spots where I got him off waivers last year and have been able to roster him *this* long in the hopes that I can sell him for more than zero, or that he actually does start. I have heard the Broncos like him and that they haven't liked CJA, which may have been shown to be true today. 

I also traded for him about a month ago. It was cheap enough. My 2019 2nd for a current early 3rd and Booker. 

My preference is to hold and see if he beats out an unproven rookie. If he doesn't then I really haven't lost much. 

I liked what I saw of Booker but admittedly haven't seen much. I think there are a variety of reasons that RBs struggle. If the organization believes in a guy then I almost always prefer opportunity over talent when it comes to finding starting RBs, with a tiebreaker towards good offenses. I'm talking about cheap options, not bonafide studs. 

After the draft Booker won't be so hot. Denver will take a RB in round 1-4 for sure. I would trade Booker now if I had him. C.J. Anderson might land somewhere but I think it's only a 1 year deal and probably sharing the duties.

Fantasy wise what are his best landing spots? Seahawks, Pats, Skins, Texans if they cut Miller? It doesn't look great for his fantasy value.

I get the fear of the Broncos drafting a RB to start but has Booker been given a chance to start? 
Yes, he has, in 2016 when CJA was injured and Booker was handed the feature back roll on a silver platter.  He was terrible and lost the job within a month to Kapri Bibbs.

I'm not saying he can't bounce back, but wanted to answer your question.

Teams that are thin at running back: TB, IND, NYG, WAS, DET, SEA. Maybe GB or CAR.
As a non-Drake believer, I'd add Miami to that list.

Also notable is that CJA would be a distinct upgrade over Jeremy Hill in NE and Hill only has $150k guaranteed. 

Yes, he has, in 2016 when CJA was injured and Booker was handed the feature back roll on a silver platter.  He was terrible and lost the job within a month to Kapri Bibbs.

I'm not saying he can't bounce back, but wanted to answer your question.
Just to veryify what FreeBaGeL is saying, CJ Anderson was injured in the 7th game of the 2016 season  Booker put up these numbers following that:

8    2016    2016-10-30    8    24-156    DEN        SDG    W 27-19    19    54    2.84    1    6    5    30    0    
9    2016    2016-11-06    9    24-163    DEN    @    OAK    L 20-30    10    22    2.20    0    3    1    8    0    
10    2016    2016-11-13    10    24-170    DEN    @    NOR    W 25-23    24    76    3.17    0    2    2    12    0    
11    2016    2016-11-27    11    24-184    DEN        KAN    L 27-30    24    79    3.29    0    2    1    22    0    
12    2016    2016-12-04    12    24-191    DEN    @    JAX    W 20-10    18    35    1.94    1    1    1    2    0    
13    2016    2016-12-11    13    24-198    DEN    @    TEN    L 10-13    3    1    0.33    0    2    2    10    0    
14    2016    2016-12-18    14    24-205    DEN        NWE    L 3-16    6    17    2.83    0    3    2    16    0    
15    2016    2016-12-25    15    24-212    DEN    @    KAN    L 10-33    5    27    5.40    0    10    6    44    0            
16    2016    2017-01-01    16    24-219    DEN        OAK    W 24-6    14    57    4.07    1    3    2    52    0

Not very good at all and he had four games with 18 rushing attempts or more after Anderson went down. He does do pretty well as a receiver though. 32 targets 22 receptions 69% catch rate 196 yards 8.9 ypr 6.1 yards per target. All of these metrics are above average for a RB. His rushing stats are below average.

He was splitting time with Kapri Bibbs but I do not think he lost the job to him.

Here are the game logs of Bibbs during this same time frame:

9    2016-11-06    9    23-301    DEN    @    OAK    L 20-30    2    11    5.50    0    1    1    69    1
10    2016-11-13    10    23-308    DEN    @    NOR    W 25-23    7    22    3.14    0    1    0    0        
11    2016-11-27    11    23-322    DEN        KAN    L 27-30    9    22    2.44    0    0    0    0        
12    2016-12-04    12    23-329    DEN    @    JAX    W 20-10    5    49    9.80    0    

Kapri Bibbs was injured and didn't play anymore during the 2016 season. 

Bibs did have a big play for a TD of 69 yards, struggled just like Booked for 2 games then had some good numbers on 5 rushing attempts but nothing after that.

It was actually Justin Forsett that Booker had to split with from game 13 until the rest of the season, not Bibbs.

Forsett retired and Bibbs was traded to the 49ers last season.

Next Gen Stats has data on the 20 fastest speeds reached by ballcarriers each week. CJ Anderson and Devontae Booker are two of the RBs who never cracked the top 20 over the past 2 seasons. The other players who never cracked the top 20 are mostly not very good (with one big exception). More here.

Next Gen Stats has data on the 20 fastest speeds reached by ballcarriers each week. CJ Anderson and Devontae Booker are two of the RBs who never cracked the top 20 over the past 2 seasons. The other players who never cracked the top 20 are mostly not very good (with one big exception). More here.
Just regular stats have a list of running backs who hit 1000 yards rushing the last two seasons. The other players who got 1000 yards are mostly very good 

Kareem Hunt

Todd Gurley

Leveon bell

Lesean McCoy

Mark Ingram

Jordan Howard

Melvin Gordon

Leonard Fournette

Ezekiel Elliot

Demarco Murray

Jay ajayi

David Johnson

Lamar Miller

Legarrette Blount 

Devonta Freeman

Frank Gore 

CJ Anderson

In 15 games last year, Stewart averaged 13.2 carries and 1 target per game. CJA averaged 15.3 carries and 2.5 targets per game in Denver last year. Think he gets a bigger role than Stewart had or is he a straight up replacement piece?

This is a much less appealing landing spot than Indy, but it's not terrible. 

Rotoworld take:

Panthers signed RB C.J. Anderson, formerly of the Broncos, to a one-year contract.

It's a savvy and sensible pickup for Carolina, which did not draft a running back and had only Fozzy Whittaker and Cameron Artis-Payne on the depth chart behind Christian McCaffrey. The Anderson signing deals a significant blow to McCaffrey's fantasy outlook, and positions Anderson for RB3/flex value in the old Jonathan Stewart role. The Panthers are missing 202 carries from last year's roster, eighth most in the NFL. Anderson, 27, topped 1,000 rushing yards for the first time in his career last season, although his efficiency (4.1 YPC) has been mediocre the past two years. He is functional in the passing game. Anderson is now the favorite to lead the Panthers in carries.

Related: Broncos

May 7 - 3:56 PM

Users who are viewing this thread