What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Danny woodhead (2 Viewers)

I can't get over why they use Gordon so much with no success. Woodhead needs to be used much much more often
It's crazy, you give DW the touches and he produces. They've already proven that Gordon getting tons of touches equals not much. Has to be a "get our high draft pick heavily involved no matter what" thing :unsure:

What's the deal of late? Is he being fazed out for Gordon? Is it that the whole team is injured? I have him on a contender and am worried this is gonna be the norm going forward.

What's the deal of late? Is he being fazed out for Gordon? Is it that the whole team is injured? I have him on a contender and am worried this is gonna be the norm going forward.
I think it's more the offensive implosion than anything else (although he didn't do much in the Jax game either). Whatever it is, hard to trust going forward.

I can't get myself to drop him for fear somebody RB needy will pick up and use in playoffs. He supposedly has really good matchups Week 15 and 16.

He's PPR rb3 right now who can be bought cheaply, and with Allen and Floyd hurt, plus gates being old and the defense being terrible, his second half may be better than his first. He's a screaming buy.
Wow was I wrong about this. Guy's been terrible since I traded for him.

He's PPR rb3 right now who can be bought cheaply, and with Allen and Floyd hurt, plus gates being old and the defense being terrible, his second half may be better than his first. He's a screaming buy.
Definitely a head scratcher. Wasn't able to watch the game, but going up against the Denver D doesn't help. I could see him being a decent playoff flex guy, you would hope SD would realize they need to feature him more.

Unfortunately, SD spent a first round pick on Gordon and want to see what they have.

It's too bad, since Woodhead is the better player.

As much as they are trying to force Melvin Gordon to work I can't kick the notion that it's a front office thing.

I had three dynasty shares and sold two while he was peaking. 4 weeks ago I got Rawls/2nd(weeeeee). The other trade was this past week. I got McKinnon/3rd for him(I'm an AP owner).

I love the guy but it seems like a sinking ship the ROS. I hope I'm wrong since I have him on a contender and am hurting at rb.

elbowrm said:
Me too, now I need him I am really worried about playing him.

How much of it is the offensive line troubles forcing them to keep him in to block?

Dilutes the effect of WR injuries, which would otherwise increase his targets.

Also Donald Brown is now being added into the mix and has fresh legs. Telesco's free agent from the Colts, his old team....oh brother.....

I have Woody, he's one of my favs....but this train is done. He plays the Raiders, that's the only game I can see him have some success. But I wouldn't!

I warn anyone....do not play him unless you have nothing. I'm probably dropping him here soon to add some depth for the playoffs.

are we to assume woodhead is done in ppr? completely.

why cant i quit dannyboy? at this point (11:15) not going to roll with him, but my other flex options arent so swift either. i did read where KC holds rb to least amount of catches and yards after catch, so that obviously helps with benching him. anybody out there rolling him out? i know SD wants to see what they have in gordon, just cant understand why danny hasnt been getting his looks.

got wood?

Definitely not today! I just dropped him but as a Charger fan I watched Danny closely vs Chiefs two weeks ago.....KC linebackers were all over him. He couldn't get open. I believe same will happen today. I would not play him.

I'm in a non PPR but Woodhead has his days earlier this season to be productive in standard. Today, 1st Rd of playoffs, I am starting Isaiah Crowell. Yes. It's that bad. Safe to say this will be my final fantasy game of 2015.

Rotoworld:

Danny Woodhead rushed for ten yards and a touchdown on eight carries and caught 6-of-6 targets for 50 yards and three touchdowns in the Chargers' Week 15 whipping of the Dolphins.

All but phased out of the Chargers' offense in recent weeks, Woodhead saw a bump in playing time with Melvin Gordon (knee) shelved in the second quarter. Woodhead dominated on his red-zone chances and accounted for a whopping 24 of the Chargers' 30 points in a game they won 30-14. Gordon did not return and is uncertain to play in Week 16 against the Raiders. If Gordon can't go, expect another strong fantasy effort from Woodhead, who would figure to share playing time with Donald Brown.

Dec 20 - 7:49 PM

Guy has been odd man out thanks to politics for a month and then this. Almost happier I dropped him rather than watch this with him on my bench.

I wonder how many people are going to get burned chasing Danny Woodhead points this week?
Yeah I wouldn't mess with him in non-PPR. Donald Brown will still get the early-down work I imagine.

Cut him a while back, not mad about it because he's way too risky to start in my 10-team standard league.

My :2cents: ..

I was interested in starting Woodhead this week due to a mix of the great stat line and Gordon heading to IR. However, I watched the game and here is my takeaway..

All of the TDs were kinda fluky:

TD1 - 2nd and 12, Gordon just lost 2 yards. Woodhead came in, lined up wide and turned the LB around on his TD catch.

TD2 - Woodhead was getting his normal part of a drive for what looked like a Gordon breather. Rivers completes a 31 yd pass, SD goes no huddle, DW punches it in.

TD3 - Gordon is injured as 2 minute O is beginning. Sets up 3rd & long and 2 minute O. DW usually has these situations. DW catches a TD off of a Rivers scramble.

-- -- -- -> HALFTIME

...SD has the lead, Donald Brown comes in after the half and picks up right where Gordon left off. Looked just as good ad Gordon.

TD4 - Brown breaks a 4th quarter 54 yd run. Stays in and gets 2 more tries to score. 3rd & 9 DW comes in, lines up as WR and catches a TD.

Gordon's injury didn't effect Woodhead's role:

Unfortunately, I didn't see any new reason to get excited about Woodhead. If you didn't trust him last week, I wouldn't trust him this week. IMO his odds of a good fantasy output are about the same, maybe there's an uptick in snaps, but Donald Brown is next in line for the new carries, even catches. Not Woodhead.

I actually started him this week. It was him or Demarco. Thank god I chose right.

I will be starting him next week also. He should get enough catches to justify starting him.

My :2cents: ..

I was interested in starting Woodhead this week due to a mix of the great stat line and Gordon heading to IR. However, I watched the game and here is my takeaway..

All of the TDs were kinda fluky:

TD1 - 2nd and 12, Gordon just lost 2 yards. Woodhead came in, lined up wide and turned the LB around on his TD catch.

TD2 - Woodhead was getting his normal part of a drive for what looked like a Gordon breather. Rivers completes a 31 yd pass, SD goes no huddle, DW punches it in.

TD3 - Gordon is injured as 2 minute O is beginning. Sets up 3rd & long and 2 minute O. DW usually has these situations. DW catches a TD off of a Rivers scramble.

-- -- -- -> HALFTIME

...SD has the lead, Donald Brown comes in after the half and picks up right where Gordon left off. Looked just as good ad Gordon.

TD4 - Brown breaks a 4th quarter 54 yd run. Stays in and gets 2 more tries to score. 3rd & 9 DW comes in, lines up as WR and catches a TD.

Gordon's injury didn't effect Woodhead's role:

Unfortunately, I didn't see any new reason to get excited about Woodhead. If you didn't trust him last week, I wouldn't trust him this week. IMO his odds of a good fantasy output are about the same, maybe there's an uptick in snaps, but Donald Brown is next in line for the new carries, even catches. Not Woodhead.
I disagree TDs were fluky.

• The announcers commented that the first TD was the exact same route Rivers and Woodhead just missed connecting on at the end of the previous game. Woodhead runs out and up routes as a standard part of his role in the offense.
  • Woodhead is always the 2 minute RB. So he will typically get all of the 2 minute goal line carries.
  • The third TD seemed the most fluky, because Rivers doesn't often complete passes after scrambling.
  • The fourth TD wasn't fluky. Woodhead regularly lines up as a WR. Again, this is part of his role in the offense.
Now, it was obviously fluky that he got 4 TDs in one game, but, generally speaking, these are plays that Woodhead is asked to make in the offense.

As for snaps, I agree that Brown will get some of Gordon's snaps. McCoy is a RBBC coach, so that is his normal MO. That said, Woodhead's snaps certainly won't go down, and he has led the team's RBs in offensive snaps in all but 2 games this season. The risk had been that with the season over, the team would increase Gordon's usage to get him more reps, and perhaps help him gain confidence. That risk is gone, and the team has no such motivation with Brown.

IMO Woodhead's usage will likely be up this week, and he should have a great chance at a big game. In the first game against OAK this season, Woodhead had 5/26/0 rushing and 11/75/2 receiving.

OK here is my take after many hours of deliberation:

Theoretically this looks like a good week to start woodhead. But he is playing away at Oakland. Their not pushover run d. He'll be involved in the passing game yes. And he's a good bet for a td yes. And he smoked Oakland through the air earlier in the year. Yes.

But take a look at woodhead's big games this year. He's had like 3 or 4. ALL HOME GAMES. And then he's got a few average games (10 Pts in standard scoring) in away games and then a bunch of duds.

Obviously I'm not expecting 4 tds again. But I also think that starting woodhead this week is chasing points.

I right now have him in at flex over Christine michael, Cameron artis Payne, and James white. But in talking myself out of it.

Really sweating out the Woodhead vs. Martin decision this week (PPR). My gut says Martin (he has a higher floor and similar ceiling), but CBS's projections and 2/3 FBG projections disagree with me (and they project Woodhead to score 20-50% more than Martin, which is why I'm questioning myself).

Users who are viewing this thread