What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DeSean Jackson (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Albert Breer reports the 49ers "aren't interested" in DeSean Jackson.
CSN Philly reported Tuesday that the Eagles had "taken inquiries" on D-Jax's availability from the 49ers and Patriots. It's quite possible both reports are true. Inquiring as to a player's status is hardly unusual, or a sign that a trade is imminent. The 49ers likely called, didn't like what they heard and moved on. D-Jax would be hard to fit under the cap in San Francisco.

Related: 49ers

Source: Albert Breer on Twitter

Ten mill base salary next three years. That will be his cap number. Can't be too many teams that think that makes sense, and have the room.

Rotoworld:

A source close to DeSean Jackson tells the Philadelphia Daily News that D-Jax wants to finish his career with the Eagles, and would be "really hurt" if he were traded for "no reason."
There have been rumblings that Jackson is an ill fit for Chip Kelly's locker room, but he apparently doesn't see it that way. D-Jax made noise about wanting a new contract in January, but has otherwise avoided controversy this offseason. We don't doubt that the Eagles are listening to offers, but they're unlikely to find a trade partner.

Source: Les Bowen on Twitter

Riley Cooper got drunk at a concert and said something really stupid. There's no excuse for it, but the team felt comfortable with him going forward. DeSean Jackson has a history of being a problem in the locker room. I trust Chip Kelly and Howie Roseman. If they think he's not a good fit, might as well get rid of him now while he has value. Once his speed is gone, he'll have little to no value in the NFL.
Where have they said he's not a good fit? Hell where have they actually repreminaded him for anything?

This is a media driven story in a slow news time.

Rotoworld:

Coach Chip Kelly has reportedly called DeSean Jackson and told him not to worry about the intensifying trade rumors.
This whole mess started right after the Eagles' playoff loss to the Saints, when Jackson suggested that he deserves a new contract just one year after inking a $47 million deal. Then came reports that the diva is not a fit in the locker room or Kelly's scheme, and then came free-agent deals for Riley Cooper and Jeremy Maclin. Still, Kelly loves playmakers, the Eagles have plenty of cap room and Cooper/Maclin would be a well below average starting duo. We'd be surprised if a trade went down.

Rotoworld:

Coach Chip Kelly has reportedly called DeSean Jackson and told him not to worry about the intensifying trade rumors.
This whole mess started right after the Eagles' playoff loss to the Saints, when Jackson suggested that he deserves a new contract just one year after inking a $47 million deal. Then came reports that the diva is not a fit in the locker room or Kelly's scheme, and then came free-agent deals for Riley Cooper and Jeremy Maclin. Still, Kelly loves playmakers, the Eagles have plenty of cap room and Cooper/Maclin would be a well below average starting duo. We'd be surprised if a trade went down.

"So, DeSean...I just wanted and tell you not to worry about getting traded, it's not going to happen. We couldn't find anyone willing to give up a pick for an over-priced WR with an attitude problem. But don't get too comfortable since chances are you won't be here next year. Good talking to you."

/Chip

Rotoworld:

Apparently they didn't talk...

Chip Kelly has talked to DeSean Jackson, unless he hasn’t

Posted by Mike Florio on March 19, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT

Getty Images

A strange situation in Philly reached a new level on Wednesday, thanks to a report that Eagles coach Chip Kelly has called receiver DeSean Jackson to put the wideout’s mind at ease regarding rampant rumors that he could be traded or released.

Les Bowen of Philly.com initially reported that Kelly has called Jackson to tell the $10.5 million receiver not to worry. Bowen later explained that Kelly has not talked to Jackson.

Bowen writes that Jackson has tried to talk to Kelly, but that Kelly has been “too busy with free agency, etc.”

Too busy to put at ease the mind of a key player at a time when there are increasing signs he’s on the block? Folks, the Eagles clearly want to trade Jackson. Regardless of what anyone has reported or said or speculated, Kelly freezing DeSean out when all Kelly needs to do is tell the player “we’re not trading you” means they will if they can.

If they can’t, the next question becomes whether they’d cut him. We’ll see whether Kelly finds the time to call Jackson if/when those reports begin to percolate.

Ten mill base salary next three years. That will be his cap number. Can't be too many teams that think that makes sense, and have the room.
Hmm....Raiders?
I would have no problem with that. 3rd rounder? Seems like a decent price.

Couple things:

I don't think Chip Kelly feels like he needs DeSean to do what he does on offense. I think DeSean popping off about his contract, which is more than fair, after a playoff loss, really made Chip wonder if he needs him, and if DeSean was thew kind of player he wants.

I don't see any reason for Philly to rush. They can trade DeSean tomorrow, on Draft Day, in June, or in August. If they don't get a 3rd rounder, they can cut him him in August, sending a message to the team that no one is above the team, and let him try and find 10 mill then. I think any of those happening is more likely than DeSean playing for the team in December.

As to Oakland, it's hard to find a guy they have brought in under this regime that has any DeSean in him. Their collective Twitter feeds reads like an online Bible study. It would surprise me if they brought in DeSean.

http://overthecap.com/look-trade-possibilities-desean-jackson/

The rumors have picked up again about the Eagles relationship with WR DeSean Jackson. Jackson has made some noise about his contract this offseason and often when that happens some teams will decide it is best to move on that to continue a relationship. This is potentially a situation the Eagles had planned for back in 2012 when they signed Jackson to his current contract extension.

When the Eagles first signed Jackson in 2012 there was likely a disagreement about his true value. Jackson had clashed with the Eagles for two years over his desire for a contract and in 2011 his production seemed to suffer as he was unhappy with the situation. That was probably a red flag of sorts but there was a lot invested in the Eagles team and they did not want to chance losing a potentially dynamic player.

My own thoughts at the time was that Jackson’s production merited somewhere around a $9 million a year number. He wasn’t a player that transcended the position like Larry Fitzgerald and there had to be worries about his body and attitude. Still that number was going to put him in the upper echelon of receivers. But Jackson, like most, had a number in mind that he needed to see in order to be happy with the contract.

The Eagles went up to $9.7 million a year, but the contract itself was heavily backloaded. The Eagles would pay him $18 million in the first two seasons, an average of $9 million a year. His last three years would pay him $30.5 million with a chance to earn higher salaries based on performance. While the cost to cut Jackson was $6 million in 2014, the Eagles have always been a well managed cap team, and the lack of a salary cap floor in the new CBA simply meant the Eagles would carry over more cap room than they ever had before. So they were willing to sign off on the deal with little hesitation.

Jackson would have a terrible 2012 season as he battled injuries most of the year. He came back to have the best year of his career in 2013 and immediately there was talk of wanting a new deal. Since signing his contract in 2012 times had changed for receivers with Percy Harvin, Mike Wallace, and Dwayne Bowe all earning over $11 million a season. Jackson dominated those players statistically last year. In his mind it should be time to cash in.

From the Eagles standpoint they probably look at his salary this year as more than fair as Jackson is actually going to earn the fifth highest salary of any receiver with his $10.75 million salary. From his perspective the salary is not guaranteed, nor is any of his $20 million he is going to earn the next two years. Philadelphia, who is attempting to change the culture of the organization, likely does not want the distraction that might be made again by a sulking Jackson when the regular season begins and may see it best to just move on. The contract was designed that way anyway.

The issue for Jackson moving forward is that the receiver market took a major step back in 2014. Eric Decker, the most highly regarded receiver available, received just $7.5 million a year with $15 million guaranteed. Decker came off a 1200 yard season in Denver but faced knocks about not being a true number 1 receiver and that part of his production was based on the QB and system in Denver rather than his ability. I would think Jackson would face those same criticisms.

I don’t think any team in the NFL would trade for Jackson and then pay him somewhere in the realm of $11 million a season, even in funny money at the backend of a contract. I’m sure a team would guarantee him this years’ salary and maybe even a portion of his 2015 salary, but I think there would be few teams to pay him much above what he is earning now. His ideal destination lies with a team that simply has the cap room to carry him at his current salary figures, which is exactly what happened when the Chicago Bears traded for Brandon Marshall a few years ago. That type of contract structure would appeal to the Raiders, Jets, Jaguars, Buccaneers, and Bears. The Bears and Buccaneers already have two star players and would not be interested. If a deal was to be made it might be worth looking at those other three teams. Other teams are certainly rumored.

Oakland has the most need of anyone but has been reluctant in free agency this year to spend big dollars. They also do not have a QB in place to really fling the ball down the field either, so its hard to tell what their interest level would really be. The Jets might be interesting as they should have a significant number of draft picks to spare, but they have also shown some reluctance this year to be heavily involved in free agency. When Jets GM John Idzik was in Seattle that front office never shied away from making a trade as long as they felt the player fit their system. I don’t know if a player like Jackson would necessarily fit the vision Idzik has for the Jets and he would rely on their offensive coordinator for more inside knowledge about Jackson. The Jaguars have two receivers already but one is suspended so they might consider it as a way to improve the offense. They have been a bit more active than the other two this offseason.

The San Francisco 49ers have picks that they can probably dump, but he would be hard to fit inside their salary cap. The 49ers had to resort to using voidable contract years to fit Anquan Boldin into their salary cap for this season and then next year they will be looking to extend Colin Kaepernick, Aldon Smith, and Michael Crabtree. Getting Jackson would be the ultimate “this is our window” move. Currently I have them with about $4.4 million in cap space, but they will gain an additional $5.5 million when Carlos Rogers comes off the books on June 2. To get Jackson in without significant changes to his contract would require the release of RB Frank Gore, who might be considered completely obsolete if they are going to a pure vertical passing attack. Releasing Gore opens up $6.45 million in cap space, likely giving them a chance to keep up with the cap while awaiting June 2 for Rogers to provide cap relief.

New England is also rumored, but I am not sure how well Jackson fits in with their offense anymore. Tom Brady did not excel last season down the field and while Jackson is a far better player than the Patriots other receivers, there were times Brady just missed when guys were open down the field. Not counting Edelman the Patriots had just $8.8 million in cap room, but releasing DT Vince Wilfork will save the team $8 million and that move seems likely. I would anticipate the Patriots trying to add Danny Amendola into any trade with Philadelphia and if they can dump him off along with a draft pick that would be a big win for New England.

Kansas City’s head coach has a relationship with Jackson and would certainly like him but their salary cap may be one of the more difficult to navigate in the NFL. Alex Smith will almost certainly get a large raise either this year or next and the team will have to make some hard decisions on veteran next year to maneuver the cap without Jackson on the team. This would be the one destination where Jackson would get the extension he wants because it is hard to imagine the Chiefs having any alternative with their salary cap.

Ross Tucker‏@RossTuckerNFL21m

"DeSean Jackson's act is wearing thin with Chip Kelly." ESPN's Sal Paolantonio on @SiriusXMNFL
Not the first rumbling we hear of Desean's act wearing down on Chip, scuttlebutt is one way or the other DJAX's time in Phily is soon to be over.

You know everything in this article is true because it came from Nick Fierro of the Allentown Morning Call:

http://blogs.mcall.com/eagles/2014/03/what-we-know-and-dont-know-about-desean-jackson.html

Posted by Nick Fierro at 06:59:28 PM on March 19, 2014
trans.gif

What do we really know about DeSean Jackson, the embattled Eagles wide receiver who might be an ex-Eagle within days?

We know that so many people, all of whom have been anonymously quoted, who are supposedly close to him have said so many conflicting things about him that we don't know what to believe.

He's talked to coach Chip Kelly and been assured he isn't on the trade market. He hasn't talked to Kelly because Kelly has been too busy scouting Jackson's potential replacements that he hasn't had time to call him back. He heard from the Eagles that they're not shopping him but not rejecting any phone calls inquiring about his availability, either.

Take your pick.

We know, or at least we think we know, that he has money problems that were never solved even after signing a five-year, $47 million contract two years ago that has already paid him nearly $18 million (including a prorated $10 million signing bonus) and will pay him another $10.25 million this year if he's still on the roster on opening day.

We think we know this because he's already asked for more, and because former agent Drew Rosenhaus is suing him for money he alleges Jackson owes him.

We also know that there was a recent burglary of Jackson's Philadelphia home in which more than $300,000 in cash and jewelry were taken with no signs of forced entry.

And we know that various people close to Jackson and/or the Eagles' front office believe that there's at least a chance he's gone long before training camp.

"There is no way he's an Eagle this year," yet another person close to Jackson told The Morning Call. "However it leaked out, it leaked out, and now this is what you have."

Which is literally around a dozen reports an hour about what might or might not be next for one DeSean Jackson, a tremendous talent but supposedly not Kelly's favorite character.

But again, that depends on what source you believe to be most truthful.

It's become such a tragicomedy that Saturday Night Live should do a skit on it. You know, DeSean Jackson is still an Eagle and Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.

Something like that.

In the meantime, for what it's worth, here's what my spidey senses tell me: Jackson is out of here for sure, and long before the NFL draft too.

Too bad, because his statistical contributions might be able to be replaced, but his overall impact on the offense might not be, at least right away.

More as this develops, and there's strong sense here that it will.

The funny part is how pissed off is Jackson going to be when any team that trades for him is going to want him to redo his deal and probably make less money. If no one trades for him and he is released he will get a lot less then 10 million on the market.

No one is going to trade for him and ask him to redo his deal. If anyone trades him, they will be fine with the price, and can cut him for no cap hit whenever.

No one is going to trade for him and ask him to redo his deal. If anyone trades him, they will be fine with the price, and can cut him for no cap hit whenever.
The teams that have been linked to him would ask him to redo his deal, the Patriots, 49ers would have to unless they are cutting players and even then I would expect those teams to ask him to redo the deal.

Who would trade for DeSean and start off the new relationship by springing a redo request on him??

At the very least, who wouldn't have back channel convos with his agent about a new deal?

The Eagles have leverage, because they can work a trade through August, and cut him if they want, then let him try and find money then.

No team is going to trade for him, then threaten to cut him. He'll get paid by his new team.

Who would trade for DeSean and start off the new relationship by springing a redo request on him??

At the very least, who wouldn't have back channel convos with his agent about a new deal?

The Eagles have leverage, because they can work a trade through August, and cut him if they want, then let him try and find money then.

No team is going to trade for him, then threaten to cut him. He'll get paid by his new team.
I agree with you on part of it, the Eagles will let any team interested in trading for him talk with his agent about redoing the deal or getting a new deal, what ever you want to call it. I also agree no one is trading for him and threatening to cut him, he might get paid by his new team but it won't be for 10 million a year. I could see something like Decker or even 3 years 24 million. Well maybe the Raiders but that is all.

massraider said:
Hmm....Raiders?
I would have no problem with that. 3rd rounder? Seems like a decent price.

Couple things:

I don't think Chip Kelly feels like he needs DeSean to do what he does on offense. I think DeSean popping off about his contract, which is more than fair, after a playoff loss, really made Chip wonder if he needs him, and if DeSean was thew kind of player he wants.

I don't see any reason for Philly to rush. They can trade DeSean tomorrow, on Draft Day, in June, or in August. If they don't get a 3rd rounder, they can cut him him in August, sending a message to the team that no one is above the team, and let him try and find 10 mill then. I think any of those happening is more likely than DeSean playing for the team in December.

As to Oakland, it's hard to find a guy they have brought in under this regime that has any DeSean in him. Their collective Twitter feeds reads like an online Bible study. It would surprise me if they brought in DeSean.
Im aware that this might be forward thinking but who would be the biggest beneficiaries if Jackson leaves? Seems to me that Damaris Johnson's game is more similar to DeSean Jackson than anyone else currently on the roster. Maybe he slides in with an opportunity to carve a role out of this offense. I don't trust Maclin to stay healthy for the entire season and of course its possible that they draft a WR this season as well but I think Damaris Johnson could be a name to at least monitor through the offseason if they don't bolster their WR Corps.

If its all about match ups (and with Kelly it appears that it is) why couldn't Johnson be the guy to step in for Jackson?

Im aware that this might be forward thinking but who would be the biggest beneficiaries if Jackson leaves? Seems to me that Damaris Johnson's game is more similar to DeSean Jackson than anyone else currently on the roster. Maybe he slides in with an opportunity to carve a role out of this offense. I don't trust Maclin to stay healthy for the entire season and of course its possible that they draft a WR this season as well but I think Damaris Johnson could be a name to at least monitor through the offseason if they don't bolster their WR Corps.

If its all about match ups (and with Kelly it appears that it is) why couldn't Johnson be the guy to step in for Jackson?
Damaris is part of the reason they traded for Sproles. Completely unreliable in the return game. He had some success with Reid when everyone was injured but I don't see him getting offensive snaps pretty much ever.

Cooper becomes a more reliable option. Ertz hype train will roll. The rookie they draft to replace DeSean becomes a high upside play. Sproles gets more plays.

Jets and Browns burn have more than enough room to fit him, and receivers that would benefit from passing across from DeSean.

I actually think the Browns are trying to turn it around and don't want a guy like Jackson around a young team or in the same meetings with a guy like Gordon. I stand corrected on the Jets though. I could easily see the Raiders or Jets pulling off this move without a new contract.

I am not so sure that DeSean is a bad locker room guy.

Lots of guys have contact squabbles, and get along great with their teammates.

I haven't heard about DeSean having any teammate problems.

I have to think if he gets traded now after Kelly told him not to worry, Kelly can kiss his credibility with his players, the media and the public good bye. Much like how people treat Saban when he says anything. If Saban said the sky was blue, who would believe him without looking up? While it may not have an impact with kellys ability to coach and call good plays, it could have an impact with FAs in the future as we have seen with Cleveland before and Carolina this year. A fairly new coach to the NFL may not want that stigma.

I have to think if he gets traded now after Kelly told him not to worry, Kelly can kiss his credibility with his players, the media and the public good bye. Much like how people treat Saban when he says anything. If Saban said the sky was blue, who would believe him without looking up? While it may not have an impact with kellys ability to coach and call good plays, it could have an impact with FAs in the future as we have seen with Cleveland before and Carolina this year. A fairly new coach to the NFL may not want that stigma.
It is not confirmed any call took place. However, if you follow Desean on instagram like I do (who doesn't?!?), you will notice his last posts the few days are basically saying "Ok I get it. I WANT to still be here. OK"

The funny part is how pissed off is Jackson going to be when any team that trades for him is going to want him to redo his deal and probably make less money. If no one trades for him and he is released he will get a lot less then 10 million on the market.
Should have just kept his cake hole shut.

Should have just kept his cake hole shut.
If he is underpaid then he should say something but I believe I seen on these boards that he is a top 5 or top 10 paid receiver, so yeah he should shut up and be happy making that much money.

He might not be a bad teammate but I don't want him around a guy like Gordon who is 1 strike away from a year long suspension, I don't want him telling him to hold out because he is worth so much more. I don't want him around any other young players on my team doing that either.

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Jets have "inquired" on DeSean Jackson.
Most teams will be inquiring on one of the league's best receivers, but as RapSheet points, New York's inquiry comes in tandem with Michael Vick's visit. There have been conflicting reports on Jackson's Philly future, but it's pretty clear the Eagles are at least listening to the phone calls. With or without Vick, the Jets would make sense as a landing spot. Gang Green is starved for playmakers.

Related: Jets

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

If he is underpaid then he should say something but I believe I seen on these boards that he is a top 5 or top 10 paid receiver, so yeah he should shut up and be happy making that much money.
The issue with DeSean is (and has always been) guaranteed money. He doesn't necessarily want more money (I'm sure he'll take it). He wants to make sure he still gets money if some Safety blows his head off. He has the same concerns over himself that dynasty owners do.

The risk if he plays with his current contract is he will avoid contact and the middle of the field to preserve his body so he can get next year's salary.

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Jets have "inquired" on DeSean Jackson.

Most teams will be inquiring on one of the league's best receivers, but as RapSheet points, New York's inquiry comes in tandem with Michael Vick's visit. There have been conflicting reports on Jackson's Philly future, but it's pretty clear the Eagles are at least listening to the phone calls. With or without Vick, the Jets would make sense as a landing spot. Gang Green is starved for playmakers.

Related: Jets

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
I called it!! I called it !!

I want NO part of him if he goes to the Jets.

Amazing how two WRs like Decker and him could go there and lose so much fantasy value.

How come you cannot find what question was asked of Desean after the Saints game anywhere? All we get is the quote where he "demanded" a new contract when he said "I feel it's deserving." That's all he said. I'm sure it was contract related but what was the exact question asked of him?

This thing has snowballed out of control from such a throw away comment.

How come you cannot find what question was asked of Desean after the Saints game anywhere? All we get is the quote where he "demanded" a new contract when he said "I feel it's deserving." That's all he said. I'm sure it was contract related but what was the exact question asked of him?

"I definitely feel it's something deserving," Jackson said Monday, per CSN Philadelphia. "We'll see how that plays out, and hopefully we can work things out smoothly and not have to worry about anything out of the ordinary."

"I'm going into the third year of my deal. Just feel it's deserving. So we'll see," Jackson said. "I feel like I've proved everything on the field. To do some of the things that top receivers in this league do, I think like I'm right there at the top. So we'll see how it goes."

cstu said:
Insein said:

"I definitely feel it's something deserving," Jackson said Monday, per CSN Philadelphia. "We'll see how that plays out, and hopefully we can work things out smoothly and not have to worry about anything out of the ordinary."

"I'm going into the third year of my deal. Just feel it's deserving. So we'll see," Jackson said. "I feel like I've proved everything on the field. To do some of the things that top receivers in this league do, I think like I'm right there at the top. So we'll see how it goes."
Yes but what was asked of him? The first thing he said is I feel it's deserving. So obviously he was led into an answer. You can't find a transcript of the actual question anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing he said seems like anything other than just answering a question.

You don't need a transcript of the entire thing. Nothing he said should sound any alarms whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread