What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DeSean Jackson (3 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Eagles coach Chip Kelly remained noncommittal on DeSean Jackson's future in Philadelphia at the league meetings Wednesday.
Jackson emerged upbeat from a recent meeting with Kelly, but the feeling may not be mutual. "I like DeSean, but we are going to do what's best for the team," Kelly stated. There's still a reasonable chance the Eagles wind up releasing Jackson, but for now they're hoping to recoup something in a trade.

Source: Rueben Frank on Twitter

Chip Kelly: 'I like' DeSean Jackson but will do 'what's best' for Eagles

By Will Brinson | NFL Writer

March 26, 2014 9:27 am ET

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Trade and roster rumors surrounding DeSean Jackson have been rumbling heavily for the past few weeks. The Eagles wideout seemed destined to leave Philly but after talking with Chip Kelly earlier this week he sounds confident he'll stay.

Not so fast, my friend. Kelly, speaking at the NFC owners' meeting on Wednesday, didn't sound quite as sure.

I like DeSean. DeSean did a really nice job for us," Kelly said. "But we're always going to do what's best for the organization."

The part about Kelly liking DeSean is key. The general consensus is that Chip grew tired of Jackson's act and didn't feel he was a fit in the Eagles locker room. Kelly dispelled -- or at least attempted to dispel -- that notion on Wednesday, saying he had "no issue" with Jackson.

Kelly also claimed Jackson, who's believed to want more money, never came to him or Howie Roseman seeking a new deal, but he did tack on a curious "talked to reporters" caveat that stuck out a bit.

"DeSean never came to me or came to anybody and said I want a new contract," Kelly said. "He talked to reporters, but he never came to us and said I want a new contract."

Kelly did go to Jackson though, and the coach confirmed the two had a "conversation" though he declined to offer any specifics about their discussion.

"We had a good conversation," Kelly said. "We're always going to do what's best for the football team. I think he knows where we are, and I know where he is. I feel very comfortable about it. My conversations with him aren't things I need to have a conversation with anyone else about."

On the football field, there's no question about the fit. Jackson's the primary deep threat and their number one weapon in the Eagles passing game. The speedy receiver caught 82 passes in 2013 for 1,332 yards and nine scores, easily the top number for the Eagles in each category.

But Kelly isn't going to let the offense's need for Jackson sway his feelings one way or another. He stated Wednesday that his system isn't "predicated on one player," another hint that Jackson could ultimately find his way out of Philly.

If Tuesday's revelation that Jackson and Kelly met certainly put some cold water on a possible departure, Wednesday did the complete opposite. Maybe Jackson ends up being an Eagle in 2014 after all, but Kelly hardly stumped for that possibility during his media session.

Lucky for you guys, Al is dead. Otherwise, he'd be a lock to start for the Raiders in 2014.

As I just posted in the Eagles thread, Avant was Jackson's mentor and helped keep him on the right path. Avant's no long with the team.

Reportedly, they had actual offers on the table for him...and they still released him instead of even grabbing a late pick. Major, major red flags around.

They could not trade him for any kind of draft pick? So much for D-Jax wanting a raise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. I didn't see that coming at all -- thought this was all just bored reporters creating a story during the offseason.

IMO there's got to be more to this than just him being a bad locker room guy -- he's too talented to just release unless there's something fairly major coming down the pipeline. And not just "he hangs out with a bad crowd."

Kevin Seifert ‏@SeifertESPN 3m

No one knows yet why #Eagles dumped DeSean Jackson. But outright release of elite player w/ perfect scheme fit = major caveat emptor.

gregg rosenthal ‏@greggrosenthal 4m

Lack of trade partners: More about $$ than off-field stuff. He’ll have suitors.

Eric Edholm ‏@Eric_Edholm 3m

To me, DeSean Jackson's potential baggage scared teams off as much as his salary did.
Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini 3m

Woody Johnson told ppl behind scenes at NFL meetings that he's very intrigued w/ Jackson. As I've stated, not an Idzik kind of acquisition.

I think he is almost a lock to go to the Jets or Oakland now.
This Oakland regime doesn't sign character risk. The Jets want him, but now that he is a FA he will only go there if the $ is significant.
He sure doesn't fit their model, but geez, you have to at least kick the tires on the best deep threat in the league.

It's one thing to pay a guy 10 mill that doesn't get along with the coach, and skipped meetings, and has gang connections.

it's another to sign him off the street with a low-risk, incentive laden deal.

I think the Raiders will look, and see if they can get a bargain, but ultimately, I think he winds up elsewhere.

Rich Campbell ‏@Rich_Campbell 5m

This story about DeSean Jackson's gang connections seems well reported & will make teams pause before pursuing him: http://nj-ne.ws/v7L8q

Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN 5m

It would be difficult for any West Coast team to sign DeSean Jackson after reading this investigative report. http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2014/03/eagles_desean_jackson_off-the-field_troubles.html#incart_flyout_sports …
Retweeted by Jeff Miller

Awful Announcing ‏@awfulannouncing 7m
If only DeSean Jackson had dropped a racial slur at a Kenny Chesney concert, then he would have gotten a contract extension.
Brian McIntyre ‏@brian_mcintyre 4m

Costume designer from “Silver Linings Playbook” should have bought a LeSean McCoy jersey instead.
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 4m

Early teams to watch for DeSean Jackson: 49ers, Jets, Seahawks, Pats, Raiders http://wp.me/p14QSB-9rRB

Knuckleheads like him deserve this treatment. Who cares if he is talented and performs on the field? When you make millions, learn to be professional. If you act like a bully or are related to gangs, you should be cut. Simple.

someone will sign him to a contract

the question is right now are any fans excited about that?

i wouldn't be

unckeyherb said:
If the gang stuff is true, we saw what happened with Hernandez. Good move in that case, which would seem stupid now in the absence of an actual crime committed. But, this will seem very smart later if he does in fact get into trouble and/or the gang stuff is lingering into his football routine, and gradually becoming more and more prevalent to potentially cause something bad to happen later on. .

So the fftoolbox twitter site was correct. A lot of eagle fans gave them lots of crap when they first reported that Desean was a goner when FA was about to open up a few weeks back. Turns out they were correct.

B-Deep said:
RUSF18 said:
Reportedly, they had actual offers on the table for him...and they still released him instead of even grabbing a late pick. Major, major red flags around.
no way

why would they do that
Schefter was the one who said they had teams interested in a deal. Just passing it along...

Ed Werder@Edwerderespn 23m
Eagles end relationship with a young receiver who just had career season in Chip Kelly offense. Some teammates laud move. It's that bad
Interesting. If he was a locker room problem too then I can get on board with this, Otherwise they could have cut him when some of this speculation about gangs, murders, etc became more clear, otherwise hang onto him for another season. But if multiple teammates are happy with this move then I don't mind it.

Users who are viewing this thread