What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Arian Foster - All Foster news, all the time (4 Viewers)

Tonight in a 12 team non-ppr 1/2/2/1/1/1/1, I grabbed Foster at the 6.05. Loving him as my flex/RB2 down the stretch.

He went 5.08 in my 12-team non-ppr (1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 RB/WR, 1 TE, 1 D, 1 K, 6 point passing TDs).

DD projects that team to be the league's highest scorer basically every week after Foster returns.

Trying to decide, I have the 7th pick. Do I take him at 4.6 or wait to 5.7.
Depends on how much you want him, and I suppose if it's a shark league. In my 12-team PPR this week he went 4.4. If you really want him, you probably need to take him at 4.4. If you are OK not getting him, then try to wait for 5.7.

BOB won't give a timeline. The last media report was from someone in Houston sports radio and said he should return "in some facet by Week 2 to Week 4". Based on the injury and recovery time frame common for it, Jene Bramel and our new injury staffer Craig Zumsteg had that as the time frame to expect as well.

Had a draft monday night, 12 team 11 man rosters. 1/2/2/1 with flex, non ppr. Took AFoster 7.12 and loved it.
When I hear stuff like this it is useless. If I told you I got Gronk in the 5th round is that going to mean anything to you? Are you going into your draft thinking you can get gronk in the 5th? I can tell you even with your post I am not going into my draft thinking I can get foster 3-4 rounds past where he is normally going.

• Smile
Reactions: One
I'm glad they have a late bye week (wk 9). If it were week 5 or 6, it might lead the Texans' staff to wait till after the bye to bring him back. Got him in the fourth round hoping to have him around week 4. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Either PUP'd. Or sooner. All that matters to me. PUP can be as long as 14 weeks, but only as short 7.
Wrong, wronger and wrongest.
???

If he is (ended up) on the pup... then I dont really want 'em.

Otherwise the team thinks he will be back before week 8 or so. Now we are talking real value.
They can't put him on the pup list, only ir designated to return. There's no way they'd put him on ir now.

Pup is 6 weeks, not 7.

Either PUP'd. Or sooner. All that matters to me. PUP can be as long as 14 weeks, but only as short 7.
Wrong, wronger and wrongest.
???

If he is (ended up) on the pup... then I dont really want 'em.

Otherwise the team thinks he will be back before week 8 or so. Now we are talking real value.
They can't put him on the pup list, only ir designated to return.There's no way they'd put him on ir now.

Pup is 6 weeks, not 7.
Sorry, I meant IR designated top return. And threw out PUP thinking it was the proper monicker.

Its 6 weeks to practice and 9 weeks to play. The can also switch him to the normal IR.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injured_reserve_list

Which is why he is is either designated (bad) or not (value!) in my estimation.

Arian Foster | Running Back

Team: Houston Texans

Age / DOB: (29) / 8/24/1986

Ht / Wt: 6'1' / 227

College: Tennessee

Contract: view contract details

Share:

Houston Texans

LATEST NEWS

RECENT NEWS

The Houston Chronicle's Aaron Wilson reported Arian Foster (groin surgery) is expected back by "early October at the latest."

The best case scenario is late September. Foster was originally expected to start the season on injured reserve/designated for return, but it now appears Week 3 against the Buccaneers is a real possibility. Considering he may only miss two games, Foster is a steal at his fourth-round ADP. Sep 5 - 2:26 PM

Source: Aaron Wilson on Twitter

At last week's $200 auction I threw Foster's name out at my first opportunity, hoping he would clog up someone else's roster. Ended up getting him for $19 and wishing someone had gone to twenty.

That's looking like a steal now, and with Jeremy Hill and Mark Ingram holding down the fort until Arian's return I might have a decent backfield for a change.

Got him at 5.02 after taking AP and McCoy in the 1st and 3rd. Was pretty happy about it. We can keep anything past a 3rd rounder, so hoping he pans out at least for this year and perhaps will keep him or use him as trade bait later in the season.

I have two 16-team drafts in the next couple days, one standard, one 0.5 PPR. In my mocks, I'm observing I can get Foster somewhere between the 5th and 7th, but that I really have to commit to him as my RB2.

Here's what I mean by that: In a normal draft, I would target my RB2 in rounds 3 or 4, and would probably end up with someone like Stewart, Morris or maybe Ivory. But if I do that and then take Foster in the 5th, it really screws me over in terms of QB, TE and WR2 (this is assuming I go RB/WR in the first two rounds).

On the other hand, if I know I'm taking Foster, I can spend the middle rounds stocking up on other positions, take Foster, and then get someone like Jennings, Bolden or Woodhead as my fill-in RB2 for the first few weeks.

The risk is that I pass up on a solid RB2 and then miss out on Foster. In deeper leagues, RB depth can disappear pretty quickly. Still, I feel like it's worth the risk if I can get an RB1 for the final three months of the season.

Got him at 5.02 after taking AP and McCoy in the 1st and 3rd. Was pretty happy about it. We can keep anything past a 3rd rounder, so hoping he pans out at least for this year and perhaps will keep him or use him as trade bait later in the season.
I have the 1.02 in a 10-teamer and debating whether I am willing to use pick 42 on him or wait for the unlikely chance that he is still around at pick 59.

Long Ball Larry said:
BroncoFreak_2K3 said:
I have the 1.02 in a 10-teamer and debating whether I am willing to use pick 42 on him or wait for the unlikely chance that he is still around at pick 59.
How our draft went from 5.03 to 6.09:

5.03 43. Anderson,C.J. DEN RB Keeper

5.04 44. Abdullah, Ameer DET RB ®

5.05 45. Randle, Joseph DAL RB

5.06 46. Murray, Latavius OAK RB

5.07 47. Watkins, Sammy BUF WR

5.08 48. Evans, Mike TBB WR Keeper

5.09 49. Ellington, Andre ARI RB

5.10 50. Olsen, Greg CAR TE

6.01 51. Seahawks, Seattle SEA Def

6.02 52. Agholor, Nelson PHI WR ®

6.03 53. Ryan, Matt ATL QB

6.04 54. Gurley, Todd STL RB ®

6.05 55. Martin, Doug TBB RB

6.06 56. Yeldon, T.J. JAC RB ®

6.07 57. Landry, Jarvis MIA WR

6.08 58. Marshall, Brandon NYJ WR

6.09 59. Jackson, DeSean WAS WR

Like I said, he was probably a luxury pick for me at 5.02 as I had AP, McCoy Calvin and K. Allen and we can only start 2 RBs. And I was somewhat swayed by the fact hat he could be an excellent keeper next year as well. The only other player I was remotely considering was Watkins at the time and he got picked right after. I doubt that Foster would have made it back around to me in the 6th and I didn't want anyone else getting him. Too high of a ceiling.

Long Ball Larry said:
BroncoFreak_2K3 said:
I had 1.03 in my draft last week and got him at 58, chat immediately exploded with everyone having him q'd as their next pick, woke up to a bunch of trade offers this morning (graham, hilton, morris) after news of his possible return. if you really want him then 42 is where you will probably have to take him (if he is still there).

Long Ball Larry said:
BroncoFreak_2K3 said:
How our draft went from 5.03 to 6.09:

5.03 43. Anderson,C.J. DEN RB Keeper

5.04 44. Abdullah, Ameer DET RB ®

5.05 45. Randle, Joseph DAL RB

5.06 46. Murray, Latavius OAK RB

5.07 47. Watkins, Sammy BUF WR

5.08 48. Evans, Mike TBB WR Keeper

5.09 49. Ellington, Andre ARI RB

5.10 50. Olsen, Greg CAR TE

6.01 51. Seahawks, Seattle SEA Def

6.02 52. Agholor, Nelson PHI WR ®

6.03 53. Ryan, Matt ATL QB

6.04 54. Gurley, Todd STL RB ®

6.05 55. Martin, Doug TBB RB

6.06 56. Yeldon, T.J. JAC RB ®

6.07 57. Landry, Jarvis MIA WR

6.08 58. Marshall, Brandon NYJ WR

6.09 59. Jackson, DeSean WAS WR

Like I said, he was probably a luxury pick for me at 5.02 as I had AP, McCoy Calvin and K. Allen and we can only start 2 RBs. And I was somewhat swayed by the fact hat he could be an excellent keeper next year as well. The only other player I was remotely considering was Watkins at the time and he got picked right after. I doubt that Forster would have made it back around to me in the 6th and I didn't want anyone else getting him. Too high of a ceiling.
Based on those picks, Foster was a good pick. Murray might work out better with the extra weeks of production. Or Ryan if QB was a need pick. Other than that, I like it better than all others

Damn. I already assumed that was going to be the case, but now that it's been officially announced, his ADP will rise.

I don't get why he's been drafted so far behind Bell. I mean, I get that Bell is better, younger, on a better offense, guaranteed to be back Week 3, and doesn't have a history of injuries. Still, imagine a draft where Bell wasn't suspended and Foster was healthy. Bell would be 1.01 and Foster would probably be in the back half of the first round. So now Bell gets suspended and he drops a couple spots, and Foster gets hurt and he drops four or five rounds? And they could both return the same week?

This is a huge inefficiency in the market. Sharks need to be exploiting it.

Damn. I already assumed that was going to be the case, but now that it's been officially announced, his ADP will rise.

I don't get why he's been drafted so far behind Bell. I mean, I get that Bell is better, younger, on a better offense, guaranteed to be back Week 3, and doesn't have a history of injuries. Still, imagine a draft where Bell wasn't suspended and Foster was healthy. Bell would be 1.01 and Foster would probably be in the back half of the first round. So now Bell gets suspended and he drops a couple spots, and Foster gets hurt and he drops four or five rounds? And they could both return the same week?

Been doing it for weeks.

I generally agree with this, but suspensions also don't linger like groin injuries can, which explains some of how the market is reacting.

I generally agree with this, but suspensions also don't linger like groin injuries can, which explains some of how the market is reacting.
I actually agree with your take on the injury aspect--but I wanted to tangent off of your comment on the market reacting. The fantasy community is just like our economic markets. We doesn't just "react"--rather we tend to notoriously "over-react". We tend to over-celebrate good news and tend to over-dramatize bad news and the fantasy community is no different. With the amount of "shared" fantasy information that is out there available for everybody--the skill gap between a fantasy "shark" and the normal fantasy player is shrinking. However, in my opinion one way the sharks can expand this skill gap again is to take advantage of these market swings and over-reactions to their benefit. This season we have seen it with Foster, Abdullah, Davonte Adams, Brady, Christine Michael, Doug Martin, Martavis Bryant...etc. I personally think that timing the right move, and acting one way or another on some of these market over-reactions will probably go much further in dictating fantasy champions this season more than some current ADP or rankings lists.

I disagree. Foster going into the season healthy would still be back of the first round early second material because he tends to get hurt or worse, flirts with GTD and puts his owners in a bind. Now you have the situation where he started the season hurt, and worse, it is a groin injury (something that tends to linger). So the overreaction (taking him down to the 7th round) was probably spot on in the idea that he became a better version of the late round handcuff who can explode (Ryan mathews et al). Now he looks like he will be gone about the same amount of time as Lev bell (maybe a game or two more) but, unlike bell, he is still a back who has hammy and groin issues and who seemed to be on the injury report every week last year.

That makes him a RB#2 who you better have another option for. Somewhere in the 5s is about right at this point. I am picking 12th in a league tomorrow and have to decide do I want him at 4.01 or am I essentially not getting him. Don't see him getting to 5.12.

I disagree. Foster going into the season healthy would still be back of the first round early second material because he tends to get hurt or worse, flirts with GTD and puts his owners in a bind. Now you have the situation where he started the season hurt, and worse, it is a groin injury (something that tends to linger). So the overreaction (taking him down to the 7th round) was probably spot on in the idea that he became a better version of the late round handcuff who can explode (Ryan mathews et al). Now he looks like he will be gone about the same amount of time as Lev bell (maybe a game or two more) but, unlike bell, he is still a back who has hammy and groin issues and who seemed to be on the injury report every week last year.

That makes him a RB#2 who you better have another option for. Somewhere in the 5s is about right at this point. I am picking 12th in a league tomorrow and have to decide do I want him at 4.01 or am I essentially not getting him. Don't see him getting to 5.12.
as the news of his early return keeps getting more mainsteam, you'll be lucky to get him at 4.01. If he's there, you take him.

I took him in the 6th after being afforded the luxury of my league letting me get AP at 1.11 and Gronk at the turn at 2.01. (Seriously, Peterson at 11) if he returns to form I have an awesome combo at running g back. Took lots of depth after ward to cushion the wait

I took him in the 6th after being afforded the luxury of my league letting me get AP at 1.11 and Gronk at the turn at 2.01. (Seriously, Peterson at 11) if he returns to form I have an awesome combo at running g back. Took lots of depth after ward to cushion the wait
Does your league have an unusual scoring setup? If not, I'm having trouble imagining which 10 players your league mates thought were better than AP.

I'm in the same camp. I can't imagine spending serious draft capital on Foster coming off groin surgery when I could be using it on players I plan to lean on week in, week out. Foster is one of the best RBs in the league, no doubt, but when his biggest red flag is already being waved I'll largely pass..even in the 5th. I think the market reaction has been appropriate.

Does your league have an unusual scoring setup? If not, I'm having trouble imagining which 10 players your league mates thought were better than AP.
And Gronk wasn't even one of them. I guess in a 2QB league, it could happen.

Users who are viewing this thread