What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Marcus Mariota, WAS (2 Viewers)

Marcus Mariota, Oregon: There will be no Heisman Trophy drama this year thanks to Mariota, who accounted for 52 touchdowns (38 passing and 14 rushing) while throwing just two interceptions. Need to know any more?

If you do, try this: Few teams dealt with more offensive line injuries than the Ducks, who had seven different offensive linemen miss games with injuries. One was lost for the season in the preseason. Two others were not available in the stretch run as Oregon played so well to capture the Pac-12 championship. One of those was the line's leader, center Hroniss Grasu.

Rotoworld:

Marcus Mariota - QB - Ducks

Oregon redshirt junior QB Marcus Mariota "is not the "Can't Miss" prospect that some imply," according to CBS Sports' Rob Rang.

"He is not the "Can't Miss" prospect that some imply. Mariota's production is inflated by Oregon's spread attack which provides broader windows for him to throw through. This is a concern because Mariota possesses good, not great accuracy, despite what his statistics say," Rang wrote. The Oregon prospect brings a Colin Kaepernick-type skill-set to the table, and Rang believes "it is hard to imagine Mariota slipping out of the top five," with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Tennessee Titans and New York Jets in need of a quarterback.

Source: CBS Sports

Dec 12 - 3:47 PM

Rotoworld:

NFL Media reporter Albert Breer reports that one AFC Scout said he expects to give Oregon redshirt junior QB Marcus Mariota "a significantly higher grade than he gave RGIII in 2012."

"The director then mentioned that Mariota has done it this year with more youth at the skill positions, and said he expects to give Mariota a significantly higher grade than he gave RGIII in 2012," Breer wrote. The Scout notes that "most NFL folks think (hope?) he can make the transition," from the spread offense "and like Blake Bortles last year, Mariota's is capable of convincing a team he'll be able to figure it out."

Source: NFL.com

Dec 12 - 2:21 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000442640/article/scout-marcus-mariota-will-grade-higher-than-rgiii

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

TFY Draft Insider Tony Pauline believes Oregon redshirt junior QB Marcus Mariota "is not only the best signal caller in the draft but one of the best prospects available," and has him going to Tampa Bay at No.1 in his latest top-10 mock draft.

"The need at quarterback is growing and Mariota is not only the best signal caller in the draft but one of the best prospects available," Pauline wrote. The Oregon prospect has thrown for 3,783 yards with a 38/2 TD/INT ratio and leads the nation in passing efficiency at 186.33. On the ground, Mariota has rushed 117 times for 669 yards and 14 touchdowns. With Tampa's current situation at QB, it will be hard to pass on a talent like Mariota.

Source: TFY Draft Insider

Dec 11 - 2:31 PM

Foles, 2014 1 and 2, 2015 1 and 2 at a minimum to make a move from mid-20s to #1 overall. Especially if that team is TB, NY, or Tennessee.
Philly would never make an offer of so much. This reminds me of the 49ers fans dreaming OAK will trade the top pick for Harbaugh.
I don't think they would either, but i imagine that's what it would take for a QB needy team to trade the pick to Philly.

Could this guy bring one of the coaches out of retirement (Cowher, Gruden)? Guys like that like to be able to pick their own quarterback and go to a team where they have control over the future signal caller.

The more and more I think about this, the more I think Winston goes before Mariota. He's just a better player/prospect on the field. Unfortunately we won't ever know how the interviews and background checks go but on the field, he's just better.

Rotoworld:

The MMQB's Peter King spoke with one NFL GM who evaluated QBs this fall who said Oregon redshirt junior Marcus Mariota is not "the kind of guy you’re penciling in to start opening day."

Good luck with that. The GM goes on to explain his reasoning. "He’s not playing in a classic pro style offense in college, and you don’t want him to come in relying all on his athleticism." The executive did add Mariota stayed in the pocket longer, evolved as a passer and was "less impulsive" this season. The GM is by no means calling Mariota a system quarterback, but we expect to hear that term thrown around this draft process. It could not be further from the truth.

Source: The MMQB
Dec 16 - 10:30 AM

Rotoworld:

One AFC Personnel Executive believes Oregon QB Marcus Mariota and FSU QB Jameis Winston are better than Blake Bortles.

We won't include the comments about the two comparing (or contrasting) to Andrew Luck as prospects, because any comparison is pointless. "They're both better than [Ryan] Tannehill when he came out. But neither of them is a slam dunk," the executive said. Rotoworld's Josh Norris places Mariota as the top quarterback in this class due to his eye level and positive pocket movement while working off his first read. The executive also notes "after the first two (quarterbacks), you're throwing darts."

Source: Philly.com

Dec 19 - 1:03 PM

Rotoworld:

Oregon QB Marcus Mariota remained the No. 1 prospect on Mel Kiper's most recent Big Board.

Kiper called Mariota the "best bet to go No. 1 overall." Rounding out the analysts top six, in order, are USC's Leonard Williams, Alabama's Amari Cooper, Nebraska's Randy Gregory, Missouri's Shane Ray, and Florida State's Jameis Winston. The 6-foot-4, 219-pound Mariota won the Heisman, the AP Player of the Year, the Maxwell, the Walter Camp POY, the Davey O'Brien, and the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm awards. "What's great about Mariota this year is how, despite his 600-plus rushing yards, you simply can't call him a running QB,'" Kiper wrote. "He's been so efficient as a passer -- and with a pass-first mentality -- that even if you judged him on his passing exploits alone you'd have a really, really good prospect. He continues to show improved accuracy and anticipation, and his ability to get through his progressions more quickly is obvious."

Source: ESPN Insider

Dec 26 - 2:50 PM

The 6-foot-4, 219-pound Mariota won the Heisman, the AP Player of the Year, the Maxwell, the Walter Camp POY, the Davey O'Brien, and the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm awards.
Mariota is the only player to win all of those awards (Cam Newton won them all except the Golden Arm).

Rotoworld:

FSU QB Jameis Winston praised Oregon QB Marcus Mariota on Sunday, saying this year's Heisman winner "has all the tools."

"I think (Mariota's) been an amazing guy and an amazing player. To have opportunities to see him on the sideline and watch him personally will be a great experience for all us actually," Winston said Sunday. "I think it's going to be a great battle between the two teams. It's going to be a great game. It's going to be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to get a chance to see a guy as efficient and as talented as he is on the field." The pair, of course, will lock horns in this week's Rose Bowl for the opportunity to play in the National Championship Game. "His efficiency," Winston said of what he admires most about Mariota. "You talk about my interceptions, a guy that has thrown 38 touchdowns and only two interceptions -- that's special. He has all the tools. He's fast, has a great arm and he leads his team. Guys rally around him and he affects everybody around him. I think that's the best thing about him, his ability to perform and affect everybody aro

Source: NFL.com

Dec 28 - 10:56 PM

Philadelphia doing something outlandish for this guy is exactly the reason I wanted the Bucs to end up with the #1 pick.

Rotoworld:

Oregon redshirt junior Marcus Mariota is "good but not great at winning from the pocket," notes ESPN's Todd McShay.

"He'll need to become more consistent with his anticipation and ball placement from inside the pocket in order to excel at the NFL level as he adjusts to the much tighter throwing windows he'll encounter compared to what he's had at Oregon," the analyst wrote. McShay pegs Mariota as the current frontrunner to go No. 1 to the Bucs. "Mariota doesn't carry with him the risk of [Jameis] Winston's off-field concerns, as he has outstanding intangibles," McShay wrote. "He is also a high-upside prospect because of his rare athletic ability for the position, and he's elite at throwing on the run."

Source: ESPN Insider

Dec 29 - 7:04 PM

Grahamburn said:
Philadelphia doing something outlandish for this guy is exactly the reason I wanted the Bucs to end up with the #1 pick.
When was the last time a team was able to trade up from #20 to #1?

Grahamburn said:
Never, I imagine.

The Falcons moved from 26th to 6th for Julio and the Browns received two 1's, a 2, and 2 4's.

I don't think it's happening either, but what else are Bucs' fans going to talk about for 5 months? If Philadelphia offered Foles, their 1/2/4 this year and a 1 next year? Hell yes.

Grahamburn said:
Never, I imagine.

The Falcons moved from 26th to 6th for Julio and the Browns received two 1's, a 2, and 2 4's.

I don't think it's happening either, but what else are Bucs' fans going to talk about for 5 months? If Philadelphia offered Foles, their 1/2/4 this year and a 1 next year? Hell yes.
Noooo thanks. Not a Foles fan.

Grahamburn said:
Never, I imagine.

You wouldn't take 2 firsts a second and a starting caliber QB?

Grahamburn said:
Never, I imagine.

If they feel one of these guys is a starting an future all-pro QB that's the guy I want. I don't need more mediocre spare parts. Especially pick 20. God no.

Grahamburn said:
Never, I imagine.

I think TB would be fools to turn down an offer like that. I also think Philly would be fools to offer it. Like Foles or not, he's a good starting QB. It's not like they'd be getting McCown... Plus, with those picks and the depth at oline this year they could walk away with a vastly improved roster.

You don't go 2-14 to pick 20 and then pick up the 20th-25th pick next year. Those are really hit and miss, and if you trade a franchise QB for that mess that's a crippling decision.

A lot of you all are too focused on accumulating "assets" because you can kick the can down the road and point to future hope. "Look at all these assets we have". You need great players too.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't go 2-14 to pick 20 and then pick up the 20th-25th pick next year. Those are really hit and miss, and if you trade a franchise QB for that mess that's a crippling decision.

A lot of you all are too focused on accumulating "assets" because you can kick the can down the road and point to future hope. "Look at all these assets we have". You need great players too.
The team that would be crippled by that trade would be Philly, not TB.

The team that would be crippled by that trade would be Philly, not TB.
Ok, really don't care to get in a pissing match about something that has no chance of happening.

A team isn't going to be crippled with Foles. However, the number one reason that it's not a good trade for TB is that Foles is in the last year of his contract while they would have Mariota on a relatively cheap 4-5 year deal.

Grahamburn said:
Never, I imagine.

We'll agree on something eventually.

I think you'll see both QBs get picked apart over the next few months. Neither is bulletproof, and the same media that built up Mariota, will tear him down.

Last one on this:

The Bucs had a 2-14 QB situation. I don't think they have a 2-14 roster overall. Sign Foles to an extension. Use the picks on a pass rusher and rebuild the offensive line. Quick turnaround instead of breaking in a rookie QB for 3 years only to watch Lovie eff him up until he's fired and they're back to square one..

Quick turnaround instead of breaking in a rookie QB for 3 years only to watch Lovie eff him up until he's fired and they're back to square one..
This. What has Lovie ever done to make anyone feel good about them developing a rookie QB?

Grahamburn said:
Never, I imagine.

We'll agree on something eventually.
I doubt it.

;)

Users who are viewing this thread