What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Marcus Mariota, WAS (2 Viewers)

He's made some quick, nice throws. Thats looking a little better. Still more impressed by Jameis because he reads the whole field. A lot of pre-snap plays for Mariotta.

Last edited by a moderator:
72% completions, 338 yards, 9.4 YPA, 2 TD, 1 INT, 62 yards rushing, 1 rushing TD.

400 total yards.

Handed Winston the only loss of his career.

72% completions, 338 yards, 9.4 YPA, 2 TD, 1 INT, 62 yards rushing, 1 rushing TD.

400 total yards.

He has skill no doubt. Still questionable whether his skills will translate to the NFL. RG3 and Kaepernik aren't looking too hot nowadays and they are better prospects than Mariotta.

400 total yards.

He has skill no doubt. Still questionable whether his skills will translate to the NFL. RG3 and Kaepernik aren't looking too hot nowadays and they are better prospects than Mariotta.
Kaep absolutely wasn't. RG3 it's debatable.

400 total yards.

Griffin was great before tearing his knee. Unlike Griffin, who tore his ACL at Baylor, the biggest injury Mariota has had is a strained MCL.

400 total yards.

Griffin was great before tearing his knee. Unlike Griffin, who tore his ACL at Baylor, the biggest injury Mariota has had is a strained MCL.
We'll see who grades out better as a prospect. This is something you could compare based on grades from various draftniks and scouts. Like this one http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000442640/article/scout-marcus-mariota-will-grade-higher-than-rgiii

400 total yards.

We'll see who grades out better as a prospect. This is something you could compare based on grades from various draftniks and scouts.Like this one http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000442640/article/scout-marcus-mariota-will-grade-higher-than-rgiii
RG3 is like Mariotta + an accurate deep ball.

Also this time of the year is when the scouts throw out crazy statements like that.

400 total yards.

We'll see who grades out better as a prospect. This is something you could compare based on grades from various draftniks and scouts.Like this one http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000442640/article/scout-marcus-mariota-will-grade-higher-than-rgiii
I'M NOT SAYING WHO I LIKE BETTER. I'M SAYING IT'S DEBATABLE WHICH ONE IS THE BETTER PROSPECT. THAT'S A STATEMENT OF SCOUT OPINION AND CONSENSUS AROUND APRIL. This isn't that hard. The poster I quoted claimed RG3 and Kaep were better prospects. Kaep demonstrably was not. RG3 it's debatable.

400 total yards.

I'M NOT SAYING WHO I LIKE BETTER. I'M SAYING IT'S DEBATABLE WHICH ONE IS THE BETTER PROSPECT. THAT'S A STATEMENT OF SCOUT OPINION AND CONSENSUS AROUND APRIL.This isn't that hard. The poster I quoted claimed RG3 and Kaep were better prospects. Kaep demonstrably was not. RG3 it's debatable.
Sorry brah, was just disagreeing with your scout there. You might want to take a chill pill.

I will leave Mariota to the next man. I don't see the Aaron Rodgers comparisons at all. Rodgers can read defenses. Marcus hasn't proven he can do that. Pass.

400 total yards.

I'M NOT SAYING WHO I LIKE BETTER. I'M SAYING IT'S DEBATABLE WHICH ONE IS THE BETTER PROSPECT. THAT'S A STATEMENT OF SCOUT OPINION AND CONSENSUS AROUND APRIL.This isn't that hard. The poster I quoted claimed RG3 and Kaep were better prospects. Kaep demonstrably was not. RG3 it's debatable.
Sorry brah, was just disagreeing with your scout there. You might want to take a chill pill.
My bad. You're right though. Mariota doesn't show enough NFL reads and passes because of their offense.

400 total yards.

My bad. You're right though. Mariota doesn't show enough NFL reads and passes because of their offense.
This is true but its impossible to gauge it really. Obviously, if this was as easy as people make it out to be, then Ryan Leaf wouldn't happen. I think Jameis and Mariota both have some questions about them. Jameis has more of the standard NFL QB tools but Mariota can do some things too. Maybe he isn't as good of a prospect as RGIII but if he is close to RGIII as a rookie and actually develops further, he could be really good. I think the biggest issue will be his offense. RGIII might have regressed but they are also shoving a square peg in a circular hole now. If you implement some of Oregon's offense, you might get success.

400 total yards.

This is true but its impossible to gauge it really. Obviously, if this was as easy as people make it out to be, then Ryan Leaf wouldn't happen. I think Jameis and Mariota both have some questions about them. Jameis has more of the standard NFL QB tools but Mariota can do some things too. Maybe he isn't as good of a prospect as RGIII but if he is close to RGIII as a rookie and actually develops further, he could be really good. I think the biggest issue will be his offense. RGIII might have regressed but they are also shoving a square peg in a circular hole now. If you implement some of Oregon's offense, you might get success.
The mobility is a big benefit you dont get with Winston either. While you dont want him to be RG3 that could only run the option look at how succesful Wilson has been in Seattle.

I will leave Mariota to the next man. I don't see the Aaron Rodgers comparisons at all. Rodgers can read defenses. Marcus hasn't proven he can do that. Pass.
http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/1glri6/aaron_rodgers_scouting_report/

There has to be a minor concern regarding the wide-open quarterback friendly system that Rodgers played in at Cal, as it makes reads easier on quarterbacks and it also balloons their numbers with a lot of short passes that are turned into long gains.

The mobility is a big benefit you dont get with Winston either. While you dont want him to be RG3 that could only run the option look at how succesful Wilson has been in Seattle.
Wilson played in a pro offense in Wisconsin and made throws in the pocket. Both are things that Mariotta hasnt done. He is a lot more of a project than Wilson.

http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/1glri6/aaron_rodgers_scouting_report/

There has to be a minor concern regarding the wide-open quarterback friendly system that Rodgers played in at Cal, as it makes reads easier on quarterbacks and it also balloons their numbers with a lot of short passes that are turned into long gains.
:tebow:

I hope no one is betting on MM taking the steps forward that AR did. That's once in a generation.

Rotoworld:

Marcus Mariota - QB - Ducks

Oregon redshirt junior QB Marcus Mariota went 26-for-36 for 338 yards, two touchdowns and an interception in Thursday's blowout 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl.

Mariota, who also rushed for 62 yards and a touchdown on eight carries, soundly outplayed his fellow Heisman winner Jameis Winston. Mariota threw an uncharacteristic interception late in the first half, though it didn't translate into FSU points. While merely so-so in the first half, Mariota was dominant after halftime. The 6-foot-4, 219-pound Mariota, who won just about every award a college player can win this season, is the frontrunner to go No. 1 overall. He had 4,121 pass yards, 40 touchdowns, 731 rushing yards, 15 rushing touchdowns, a receiving score, and won the Heisman. Next stop is the title game next weekend. Mariota has been clocked at 4.48 seconds in the 40-yard dash. ESPN's Todd McShay notes that Mariota is a "high-upside prospect because of his rare athletic ability for the position, and he's elite at throwing on the run," though the analyst adds that Mariota is "good but not great at winning from the pocket."

Jan 1 - 9:50 PM

I think Mariota could be a pretty good NFL QB.

If he gets good coaching to work on parts of his game i think he has what it takes.

Walked away less impressed by both Mariota and Winston. I want to like one of them and at the same time I have questions about both.

Wilson played in a pro offense in Wisconsin and made throws in the pocket. Both are things that Mariotta hasnt done. He is a lot more of a project than Wilson.
Seems weird to say that when comparing a likely top 3 pick (possibly #1) to a 3rd round pick, but you're right. Frankly though, the combination of getting drafted to an otherwise elite team, with a very good coach and coming in without much expectations, won't happen here. Add to that his being raw and he's extremely unlikely to mirror Wilson's success. Maybe if he dropped to KC... (but that won't happen).

Walked away less impressed by both Mariota and Winston. I want to like one of them and at the same time I have questions about both.
Felt the same way. Disappointing as I also want one of these guys to look better. Let's see how MM plays against tOSU.

I feel that Mariota is just another Johnny talent wise. Only a little more humble and quiet. When are some going to learn, the time has come and gone for running QBs in the NFL not named Wilson. Do not compare a college player to a SB winning QB, that would be embarrassing.

I like Winston more even though yesterdays game was not his shining moment. Winston had his faults but man I have never seen so many drops in my life.

Did you guys think the Ducks were going to come out and run a pro style offense in this game? He plays in the offense he plays in. There isn't much he can do about that. He definitely looked a little shaky in the first half, but he lit it up in the second.

I just don't see Winston improving as much as Mariota can/will. Higher ceiling and floor for MM.

I just don't see Winston improving as much as Mariota can/will. Higher ceiling and floor for MM.
Mariota may have a higher ceiling because of his athletic ability. There is no way he has a higher floor. Actually, I'd say Winston has a higher floor and ceiling. If he's 100% committed to football he's got more potential.

mr roboto said:
TLEF316 said:
I'm not sure they have 1 NFL throw in their playbook. Talented athlete and great college qb but I don't see the hype as a prospect.
He's gonna need a developer in NFL. Not a day 1 starter iMO.
he absolutely will, but I like his potential a lot more than anyone else declaring.

Think this is a bad QB class. Winston is far more pro ready, but the red flags are everywhere around this guy. He really needs to go to a strong organization that can get him headed in he right direction. Mariota seems like a very good athlete playing QB. I suppose if he goes to Tampa he'll have a shot because of the size of Evans, Vjax and ASJ, but he's gonna have to make NFL throws at some point. Not sure he can.

I suppose if he goes to Tampa he'll have a shot because of the size of Evans, Vjax and ASJ, but he's gonna have to make NFL throws at some point. Not sure he can.
Mariota did a nice job of overthrowing that 6'5" guy Oregon has but the TB receivers are already used to that.

If you don't factor in the inherent knucklehead risk. Sure.
The ceiling by definition removes the risk. :shrug:
There is no way he has a higher floor.
The floor is higher because you know he can operate in a NFL scheme.
His 'floor' is completely busting out due to immaturity or trying to play baseball. If he commits to football and keeps his nose clean his floor is higher.

Users who are viewing this thread