What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kirk Cousins, ATL (18 Viewers)

Kirk Cousins completed just 19-of-38 passes for 220 yards and three touchdowns in the Vikings' 26-23, Week 9 loss to the Chiefs.

Cousins came into Week 9 completing over 72% of his throws, so he was off today with just the 50% completion rate. Stefon Diggs was taken away with just 1-4-0 on four targets, and Adam Thielen re-injured his hamstring on the first series of the game. Cousins tossed touchdowns to Olabisi Johnson, Ameer Abdullah, and Kyle Rudolph, but Minnesota lost on back-to-back fourth-quarter field goals from Harrison Butker. Cousins will be a borderline QB1 next week against Dallas.

Nov 3, 2019, 4:25 PM ET

Kirk Cousins completed 29-of-35 passes for 319 yards and three touchdowns in the Vikings' 27-23, Week 11 win over the Broncos.

It will go down as one of the best starts of Cousins' career, as he helped rally the Vikings from a 20-0 halftime deficit. Cousins took three first half sacks, lost a fumble and had only 58 yards at the break. He was surgical the final two quarters, taking layups underneath while hitting huge scoring plays to Stefon Diggs and Kyle Rudolph. Cousins has been playing at an extremely high level for the better part of two months. He gets the Vikings' Week 12 bye to rest up before a road date with the Seahawks.

Last edited by a moderator:
After 11 games Kirk Cousins is on pace for 465 passing attempts 328 completions 4009 yards 31 TD 4 interceptions.

This is very similar to the numbers he put up with the Vikings last season, except on 23% fewer pass attempts.

Kirk Cousins completed 22-of-38 passes for 276 yards, two touchdowns, and one interception in the Vikings' 37-30, Week 13 loss to the Seahawks.

Cousins wasn't the problem in this one. His interception was a lucky grab by CB Tre Flowers. Having Adam Thielen (hamstring) would have really helped Monday night. Cousins' touchdowns went to Laquon Treadwell from 58 yards out and a three-yard hookup to Kyle Rudolph, both coming in the fourth quarter with the Vikings making a legit run at a comeback. Cousins will be a back-end QB1 next week against the Lions at home. Cousins had 337 yards and four touchdowns against the Lions back in Week 7.

With 12 games played Kirk Cousin currently has 358 passing attempts 248 completions (69.3%) 3032 yards 23 TD 4 interceptions/

This is on pace for  477 pass attempts 331 completions (69/3%) 4043 yards   31 TD 5 interceptions.

Last year Cousins had 4298 yards and 30 TD but with 129 more passing attempts.

The reason I bring this up is that most projections for Cousins before the season predicted the decline in passing attempts for Cousins this season and that looks like it will be correct, however the production on those attempts was predicted to be much less.

When volume goes down efficiency goes up.

With 12 games played Kirk Cousin currently has 358 passing attempts 248 completions (69.3%) 3032 yards 23 TD 4 interceptions/

This is on pace for  477 pass attempts 331 completions (69/3%) 4043 yards   31 TD 5 interceptions.

Last year Cousins had 4298 yards and 30 TD but with 129 more passing attempts.

The reason I bring this up is that most projections for Cousins before the season predicted the decline in passing attempts for Cousins this season and that looks like it will be correct, however the production on those attempts was predicted to be much less.

When volume goes down efficiency goes up.
And thielen has missed about half those games too. 

I'm not sure I want this to happen. I would love to see them draft a QB this year and have him sit a year under Kirk. I like Kirk but I'm not sold on him being able to take this team all the way. He puts up good numbers and plays great against weaker competition and even decent teams when he feels like he has to prove himself. But when it counts against the teams he needs to beat in the playoffs more often than not he struggles.

I'm not sure I want this to happen. I would love to see them draft a QB this year and have him sit a year under Kirk. I like Kirk but I'm not sold on him being able to take this team all the way. He puts up good numbers and plays great against weaker competition and even decent teams when he feels like he has to prove himself. But when it counts against the teams he needs to beat in the playoffs more often than not he struggles.
He’s a top 5 QB in the league w/out Thielen right now. I understand the ‘hrs not clutch’ concern (which I somewhat overblown IMO) but he’s a guy you can rely on to play every week. Look how he’s responded after a tough first month. That’s impressive. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-quarterback-rankings-entering-week-14-2019

He’s a top 5 QB in the league w/out Thielen right now. I understand the ‘hrs not clutch’ concern (which I somewhat overblown IMO) but he’s a guy you can rely on to play every week. Look how he’s responded after a tough first month. That’s impressive. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-quarterback-rankings-entering-week-14-2019
I agree it's impressive. But prior to that stretch the media and fans were pretty hard on him for his play in clutch situations. So he did have a major chip on his shoulder during that stretch which he even admitted. If they are going to keep him that's fine but do we have to keep ripping on him to get him to play at his optimum level? Or can he sustain it even when being praised? I know that sounds ridiculous but it seems to be what motivates him. Heck thinking about it that's what motivates this whole team imo. Whenever they have a good stretch and "Superbowl" talk starts they come out and lay an egg in a big way, usually in the playoffs. After the "Minneapolis Miracle" I thought maybe they had finally turned the corner in that respect... until they laid an egg against Philly.

I guess my point is I would like to see him have that drive to win no matter what. Quite frankly I have not seen that from him yet.

On a side note they also need to continue to strengthen that O-line. For him or for whoever. This year has been better but there is still a lot of room for improvement and if that happens it could very well solve a lot of issues. Even with a decent but not great O-line the offense seems to be trending towards being the strength of the team while the defense is faltering.

Understand I'm not ripping on him or the team because I don't like them. I am simply stating what I believe needs to happen in order for them to be serious contenders. As a lifelong Vikings fan I've seen it time and time again where they are favored heavily in a critical game and simply are not up to the challenge.

I agree it's impressive. But prior to that stretch the media and fans were pretty hard on him for his play in clutch situations. So he did have a major chip on his shoulder during that stretch which he even admitted. If they are going to keep him that's fine but do we have to keep ripping on him to get him to play at his optimum level? Or can he sustain it even when being praised? I know that sounds ridiculous but it seems to be what motivates him. Heck thinking about it that's what motivates this whole team imo. Whenever they have a good stretch and "Superbowl" talk starts they come out and lay an egg in a big way, usually in the playoffs. After the "Minneapolis Miracle" I thought maybe they had finally turned the corner in that respect... until they laid an egg against Philly.

I guess my point is I would like to see him have that drive to win no matter what. Quite frankly I have not seen that from him yet.

On a side note they also need to continue to strengthen that O-line. For him or for whoever. This year has been better but there is still a lot of room for improvement and if that happens it could very well solve a lot of issues. Even with a decent but not great O-line the offense seems to be trending towards being the strength of the team while the defense is faltering.

Understand I'm not ripping on him or the team because I don't like them. I am simply stating what I believe needs to happen in order for them to be serious contenders. As a lifelong Vikings fan I've seen it time and time again where they are favored heavily in a critical game and simply are not up to the challenge.
I get it. 30 years of watching this team come up small in the big moments. 

The comeback vs Denver and then the near comeback vs Seattle were impressive to me on the offense. It’s the Defense I’m most worried about. If we draft anybody to eventually replace a high paid starter there are 2-3 players on the D I’d pick over the QB position. 

I get it. 30 years of watching this team come up small in the big moments. 

The comeback vs Denver and then the near comeback vs Seattle were impressive to me on the offense. It’s the Defense I’m most worried about. If we draft anybody to eventually replace a high paid starter there are 2-3 players on the D I’d pick over the QB position. 
Can't argue with that at all.

Kirk Cousins completed 24-of-30 passes for 242 yards and a touchdown while losing a yard on his lone rushing attempt Sunday in the Vikings’ Week 14 win over Detroit.

He lost eight yards on his lone sack. Cousins shared the wealth against Detroit, completing passes to 11 different receivers in Sunday's victory. His go-to target was Stefon Diggs, who had no trouble destroying the Lions' listless secondary for 92 yards on six catches with most of his production coming in the first half. Cousins was responsible for the first of Minnesota's three touchdowns, finding Bisi Johnson in the back of the end zone on first-and-goal midway through the first quarter. Many of Cousins' completions came on play-action passes and designed roll-outs. Having already matched their win total from last season (nine), the Vikes will look to keep the engine running when they visit the Chargers in Week 15.

I don't think it can be stated enough how bad this WR corps is without Thielen. I know Diggs is good but there is NOTHING behind him right now. The year Cousins is having is remarkable, all things considered.

I don't think it can be stated enough how bad this WR corps is without Thielen. I know Diggs is good but there is NOTHING behind him right now. The year Cousins is having is remarkable, all things considered.
And Diggs is not a dominant WR1 type either. Not a 12 target a game guy. 

I agree. This is a patchwork receiving group. 

FunkyPlutos said:
Yeah Bisi Johnson is making progress I guess? The TD he had is a play that Theilen would run. He made the play. Hopefully he continues to improve.

Treadwell has actually made the most of his opportunities now with his second chance with the team.

I don't know if you want either of them as the WR 3 but maybe they could be okay there considering how infrequently the Vikings use 11 personnel but you do not want these players as your WR 2.

Gioing back to Cousins I certainly think he has earned what the Vikings have paid him and they made the best choice available to them at that time. I am happy with it.

As far as giving Cousins an extension as has been a talker I do not think the Vikings have to do that at all. The guarnteed nature of the contract and the commitment put forth by the Vikings to Cousins is enough. The salary cap situation is such that the only reason the Vikings extend him is to help that situation, and the QB market being what it is since Cousins signed his deal I am not seeing how that could be, although the Vikings have had players to agree to team friendly deals before, and the Vikings players do seem to want to stay with the team, even if they make a little less than they could get in free agency before.

I do wonder what happens with Cousins next season wtih Stefanski most likely getting a head coaching job.  

Kirk Cousins isn't sure how much or if he'll play at all against the Bears in Week 17.

Minnesota had a chance to improve its playoff seeding but squandered that opportunity with an embarrassing loss to the Packers on Monday night. That defeat locked the Vikings into the NFC's No. 6 seed, giving them nothing to play for in Sunday's regular season finale. We wouldn't expect Cousins to play more than a series or two if he suits up against Chicago. Backup Sean Mannion should see most, if not all, of the Vikes' quarterback reps in Week 17.

RELATED: 

Sean Mannion

SOURCE: Chris Tomasson on Twitter

Dec 26, 2019, 2:10 PM ET

As a Vikings' fan, I've seen enough. He is good enough to win a few games but not good enough to win the big games or win a Super Bowl.  I hope the Vikings move on but not sure how they can.  I would like to see Zimmer fired too.  That team wasted Randy Moss' best years, ADPs best years, and a great defense.  Now they are probably going to waste Dalvin Cook. 

As a Vikings' fan, I've seen enough. He is good enough to win a few games but not good enough to win the big games or win a Super Bowl.  I hope the Vikings move on but not sure how they can.  I would like to see Zimmer fired too.  That team wasted Randy Moss' best years, ADPs best years, and a great defense.  Now they are probably going to waste Dalvin Cook. 
You realize that “moving on” means you draft a Haskins or Drew Lock type of player, correct? 
Unless you are able to land Lamar Jackson, no quarterback will succeed with this offensive line. 

Why even attempt assessing a QB who has 2 seconds to go through progressions. He’s been great whenever he has adequate protections or schemes to roll out. For whatever reason Zimmer & crew pull out the zero protect/pocket pass scheme on Monday night.

Why even attempt assessing a QB who has 2 seconds to go through progressions. He’s been great whenever he has adequate protections or schemes to roll out. For whatever reason Zimmer & crew pull out the zero protect/pocket pass scheme on Monday night.
The roll outs an ways they have disguised how poorly the Vikings offensive line protects are things the Packers are very aware of. In the first game they ignored the run and always went for the QB instead. In the first game Dalvin Cook almost beat them because of it. No Cook the 2nd time around to take advantage of that.

This is why I am done with Kirk Cousins as the starter for the Vikings. If you can't beat the Packers then what is the point?

A large part of the reason ZImmer was brought in to coach the Vikings is because of his success against Rodgers over his career. That edge doesn't seem to be there anymore. Despite all the high draft picks they are not covering well enough. This is ZImmers specialty and the quality of their play has really slipped.

Kirk Cousins contract is fully guaranteed for $31 million in the 2020 season. They have to pay him that regardless of what else they do.

Maybe they could trade him, otherwise he is the starter for the Vikings next season.

The roll outs an ways they have disguised how poorly the Vikings offensive line protects are things the Packers are very aware of. In the first game they ignored the run and always went for the QB instead. In the first game Dalvin Cook almost beat them because of it. No Cook the 2nd time around to take advantage of that.

This is why I am done with Kirk Cousins as the starter for the Vikings. If you can't beat the Packers then what is the point?

A large part of the reason ZImmer was brought in to coach the Vikings is because of his success against Rodgers over his career. That edge doesn't seem to be there anymore. Despite all the high draft picks they are not covering well enough. This is ZImmers specialty and the quality of their play has really slipped.

Kirk Cousins contract is fully guaranteed for $31 million in the 2020 season. They have to pay him that regardless of what else they do.

Maybe they could trade him, otherwise he is the starter for the Vikings next season.
Here's an idea: How about we stop trying to assess QBs until the Vikes get serious about OL? Regardless of what they do at QB, they won't have better success against either Green Bay or Chicago until they can win trenches, same as it ever was. 

Here's an idea: How about we stop trying to assess QBs until the Vikes get serious about OL?
What's to assess? He's been remarkably consistent throughout his career. He is what he is. The Vikings should have know exactly what they were getting. He's performed the same for Minn as he did in Wash. Gaudy stats, mind blowing gaffs at key moments, can't win a meaningful game.

3 turn overs in the first half. That’s Zimm vs ARod. He still has his number. 
The offensive game plane was ####### embarrassing. 

What's to assess? He's been remarkably consistent throughout his career. He is what he is. The Vikings should have know exactly what they were getting. He's performed the same for Minn as he did in Wash. Gaudy stats, mind blowing gaffs at key moments, can't win a meaningful game.
I know nothing I say is going to change your/Bia's mind, but I'll just say I totally agree Cousins is what he is: An above average QB who has pinpoint accuracy with the deep ball (something the Vikes haven't had in 2 decades other than a Favre season) **when he has time to operate.** He's also what most QBs in this league not named Brady/Brees are: More likely to make mistakes when the pass protection crumbles around him. It just makes me shake my head when I see chatter of moving on from a QB who has a 26 TD/6 INT ratio. Where do you go to improve that... a rookie? A veteran journeyman? Then what, watch that guy get 2-3 seconds to work miracles? No, you do what it takes to give the guy (or someone else) a better chance to use his talents.

The problem for literally a decade + has been front office failures finding an offensive line who can compete against what divisional foes bring at DL. In all likelihood the Vikes will be swept by both Green Bay and Chicago, yet finish 10-2 against everyone else. Chicago handed the Vikes their a**es twice last season, including a meaningless (for them) week 17 game that cost the Vikes a playoff spot. The front office response was to move an undersized center to become a grossly undersized guard, draft a new undersized center, and bring in a so-so FA to play the other guard. Reiff is a mess on an island without a strong guard next to him, and the interior line gets collapsed like a folding chair against defenses of any quality. The Vikes had a chance to draft a mauling guard in Will Hernandez, who I think is doing well in New York. Certainly he'd make more of a positive impact for this team's success than Hughes has.  

3 turn overs in the first half. That’s Zimm vs ARod. He still has his number. 
The offensive game plane was ####### embarrassing. 
I agree the defense did well enough for them to win the game and I think the adjustments ZImmer has been making have improved the coverage somewhat.

Its somewhat surprising how the defense has been creating turnovers. Its like they have morphed into a big play defense recently, thats different than how they have been in previous years. Its still changing.

It wasn't good against the run once Kendricks and Barr left the game, but the defense had been on the field too long by that point anyways due to the inability of the offense to block and get a 1st down.

That is on the offense, not the defense I agree.

I was just talking about ZImmer in relation toi the importance of the Vikings beating the Packers. Its not a successful season when you get swept by your division opponents (besides Detroit).

As I said in the team thread to me the game was lost before they even did the coin flip. Kirk Cousins does not believe in himself. He was wound up way too tight and he was nervous. He was throwing at the dirt to start off the game.

I was listening to Mike Boone earlier and he was talking about how a team can just believe in themselves play their best and be successful that way, but there are times where you can just look at your team mate and realize well ok maybe we are not going to play well today. He doesn't say this about any specific player, but that is exactly how I have felt about Cousins in these games. He just shuts down when things are not going well around him. In the most recent game things were going well around him, he just failed to find the open receivers and get the ball out.

Has Cousins proven the doubters wrong by beating the saints? 
It helps. It is a step in the right direction. He beat the Saints in more decisive fashion than Case Keenum did.

I am not sure what side of this I am on. I have been a Cousins supporter for most of his career but he has played so poorly in some key games it is hard for me to say he has turned a corner or over a new leaf.

Cousins turns into a pumpkin in some games. I can't really explain it. When it happens you see it pretty much from the start of the game and he doesn't pull out of it. Cameron Jordan is right, you just never know which Cousin is going to show up.

Kirk Cousins completed 21-of-29 passes for 172 yards, one touchdown and an interception in the Vikings' 27-10, Divisional Round loss to the 49ers.

It was a dismal end to the best overall season of Cousins' career. The Vikings flirted with the playoff record for fewest first downs in a game. A big chunk of Cousins' "production" came in garbage time. Cousins saw his yardage total decline from 4,298 to 3,603 this season, but he spiked his touchdown rate from 5.0 to a career-best 5.9. He also posted his lowest interception percentage (1.4). Cousins could never quite utilize Stefon Diggs and Adam Thielen at the same time, but he took advantage of both weapons at different points of the year. The main blemishes were Cousins' horror show performances in Week 16 with the NFC North on the line and today's effort in Santa Clara. Headed into the final year of his fully guaranteed contract, Cousins has been who both the Vikings and fantasy players should have expected. 2020 will be his age-32 campaign. An extension will be an offseason topic of conversation.

Jan 11, 2020, 7:24 PM ET

Kirk Cousins declined to comment on his contract status following Saturday's Divisional Round loss to San Francisco.

Coach Mike Zimmer followed suit, reiterating that "today's not the day to discuss it." Cousins is entering the final year of his current contract, which will net him a whopping $31 million in 2020. The Vikings enter the offseason with less cap space than any team in football, though they can alleviate some of that burden by signing Cousins to an extension. "That's just not my focus right now," said Cousins in the wake of Saturday's 27-10 defeat. "I certainly love it here and love being a Viking." Cousins finally got over the hump by winning his first playoff game in last week's upset of New Orleans, though he fell flat in the loss to San Francisco, taking six sacks while also committing a costly interception.

SOURCE: St. Paul Pioneer Press

Jan 12, 2020, 9:28 AM ET

I hope the Vikings draft a new QB and then monitor Cousins' peformance in 2020. If he performs, they can give him an extension and trade their young QB. If he doesn't, as I expect, they let him learn for a year and then start in 2021.

Users who are viewing this thread