Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
pizzatyme

Official Kirk Cousins - GETS his chance, now what?

Recommended Posts

one thing the ole crappy cappy kirk has going for him is that minnesnowta is one hell of a fine walleye and bass fishin state and if it was up to me i would just bulldoze the whole damn place and turn it into a gigantic bass fishin hole after it filled up with water from the mighty missasippi or as some of us up in these parts call it the big muddy anyhow old crappy cappy kirk probably likes fishing so thats nice is what i am getting at take that to the bank brohans 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

classic example why the NFL shouldnt go to fully guaranteed contracts. It will be the final nail in the coffin in transitioning to the nba

signed his deal, gets his money, doesnt care anymore 

Edited by Dr. Dan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SWC said:

one thing the ole crappy cappy kirk has going for him is that minnesnowta is one hell of a fine walleye and bass fishin state and if it was up to me i would just bulldoze the whole damn place and turn it into a gigantic bass fishin hole after it filled up with water from the mighty missasippi or as some of us up in these parts call it the big muddy anyhow old crappy cappy kirk probably likes fishing so thats nice is what i am getting at take that to the bank brohans 

dissmatle is that you? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joe Summer said:

Teddy Bridgewater isn't walking through that door.

Case Keenum isn't walking through that door.

Sam Bradford isn't walking through that door.

Keenum can be had in a trade. Redskins HC Gruden doesn't want him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a Vikings fan, I have pretty much had it with Cousins and with Coach Zimmer. Clean house. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr. Dan said:

classic example why the NFL shouldnt go to fully guaranteed contracts. It will be the final nail in the coffin in transitioning to the nba

signed his deal, gets his money, doesnt care anymore 

or as many call it, the "Jay Cutler."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, az_prof said:

As a Vikings fan, I have pretty much had it with Cousins and with Coach Zimmer. Clean house. 

Redskins fans tried to tell ya....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Evan Silva‏Verified account @evansilva

#Vikings QB Kirk Cousins

  • * Leads NFL in yards per pass attempt (9.1)
  • * Leads NFL in passer rating (114.3)
  • * Ranks 5th in TD passes (13)
  • * Ranks 4th in completion rate (69.8%)
  • * Has completed passes at 7% above expectation, 3rd best in NFL (Next Gen Stats)

6:24 AM - 21 Oct 2019

-----------------------------------

John Daigle‏ @notJDaigle

#Vikings increased play-action play-calling the clear difference during Kirk Cousins’ three-game sprint:

First 4 Games: 27% play-action, 6.7 YPA, 47.7% under pressure

Last 3 Games: 45.8% play-action, 14.1 YPA, 33.3% under pressure

5:58 AM - 21 Oct 2019

Edited by Bracie Smathers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thread is dead silent when he plays well. Just seems like one of those guys who plays better than his reputation would predict. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/30/2019 at 8:09 PM, az_prof said:

As a Vikings fan, I have pretty much had it with Cousins and with Coach Zimmer. Clean house. 

CLEAN HOUSE!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently Kirk Cousin is 2nd in adjusted yards per attempt at 9.7 only Patrick Mahomes is better than Cousins in this metric.

The reason this metric is important is similar to yards per carry. Kirk Cousins i 14th in total passing yardage but every QB with more yards than Cousins also has more pass attempts.

Kirk Cousin leads the league in QB rating of 114.3 Russell WIlson is close at 114.1

Narratives do not die easily. Cousins is playing much better than any talking head might lead you to believe and he is playing better than even Vikings fans appreciate.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mr roboto said:

Thread is dead silent when he plays well. Just seems like one of those guys who plays better than his reputation would predict. 

Although he is playing well, he still hasn't been in a situation that caused the issues in the first place.  That situation is trailing late in a game and needing to step up and deliver a play to win the game.  In a positive game script he is a solid QB that can play action and make throws.  When the pressure is on and they are trailing and he needs to make the play...…..he hasn't done so.  This is what I am waiting for.  But by all means, as a Vikings fan, if the Vikes can get a lead in every game and play from in front I would be happy to not need to see Cousins win them the game.  My concern is that I don't think he can do it if given the requirement to do so. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Gally said:

Although he is playing well, he still hasn't been in a situation that caused the issues in the first place.  That situation is trailing late in a game and needing to step up and deliver a play to win the game.  In a positive game script he is a solid QB that can play action and make throws.  When the pressure is on and they are trailing and he needs to make the play...…..he hasn't done so.  This is what I am waiting for.  But by all means, as a Vikings fan, if the Vikes can get a lead in every game and play from in front I would be happy to not need to see Cousins win them the game.  My concern is that I don't think he can do it if given the requirement to do so. 

That's right. This has always been the  issue with Cousins. It is why the redskins didn't want him anymore. He has always put up good stats but can he win a big game coming from behind?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone with a QB needy redraft team traded for Cousins? 

Forward looking the scheme, players and schedule is there to be a solid floor guy with plenty of upside. He might pair well with Wentz schedule to see if Wentz can turn it around.

Hard for me to value Cousins as he was just recently picked up off waivers last week. So his value is high but the fear is he drops off. I had an offer for Ekeler (I’ve been trying to trade Ekeler all year with no success) but that’s seems too rich.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're putting stock in what the Redskins saw in him? That's very convenient for one side of a narrative I guess, to deem the Redskins worthy of expertise in judging talent of any sorts.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, VikingFrog said:

Anyone with a QB needy redraft team traded for Cousins? 

Forward looking the scheme, players and schedule is there to be a solid floor guy with plenty of upside. He might pair well with Wentz schedule to see if Wentz can turn it around.

Hard for me to value Cousins as he was just recently picked up off waivers last week. So his value is high but the fear is he drops off. I had an offer for Ekeler (I’ve been trying to trade Ekeler all year with no success) but that’s seems too rich.

I had tried trading Cousins to a QB need team and he didn’t want to touch him (this was 2 weeks ago before he put up 2 solid games) so I traded Matt Ryan for Deebo instead (dynasty league) and feel like between Cousins and Darnold I’ll be okay. I rarely see Cousins moved in my dynasty leagues though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ffmail4me said:

I had tried trading Cousins to a QB need team and he didn’t want to touch him (this was 2 weeks ago before he put up 2 solid games) so I traded Matt Ryan for Deebo instead (dynasty league) and feel like between Cousins and Darnold I’ll be okay. I rarely see Cousins moved in my dynasty leagues though. 

If Darnold isn't completely shell-shocked, you oughta be all right. If.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

guy is on fire.  i love him the rest of the season.  this Thursday seems like a bit of trap fantasy-wise though.  feel like they'll be ahead early and just run all day.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, rockaction said:

We're putting stock in what the Redskins saw in him? That's very convenient for one side of a narrative I guess, to deem the Redskins worthy of expertise in judging talent of any sorts.

Probably has more to do with:

After the Vikings fell to the Chicago Bears,16-6, in this past Sunday's Week 4 matchup, Cousins is now just 5-27 as starter in games against teams with winning records over his seven-year NFL career.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, DallasDMac said:

Probably has more to do with:

After the Vikings fell to the Chicago Bears,16-6, in this past Sunday's Week 4 matchup, Cousins is now just 5-27 as starter in games against teams with winning records over his seven-year NFL career.

Yes because team wins is a good way to measure a QBs performance. Just ask Trent Dilfer.

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

Probably has more to do with:

After the Vikings fell to the Chicago Bears,16-6, in this past Sunday's Week 4 matchup, Cousins is now just 5-27 as starter in games against teams with winning records over his seven-year NFL career.

 

11 hours ago, Biabreakable said:

Yes because team wins is a good way to measure a QBs performance. Just ask Trent Dilfer.

It isn't a good way to measure QB performance, however in Cousins case he doesn't seem to be able to make a key play when trailing late in a game.  It has been his biggest downfall while on the Vikings and my biggest worry as a Vikings fan.  He plays great with the lead and no pressure but when the pressure ramps up and he has to make a play he usually makes terrible decisions and turns the ball over (case in point the GB game this year).  Until he makes plays in a tight game to bring the Vikes back I will have doubts about Cousins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am an ardent hater of any and all things Dan Snyder/Bruce Allen. I'd even go as far as to say that my hatred of those 2 buffoons runs so deep, it has supplanted my love for the Redskins...

...I hope Kirk shreds them tonight. Absolutely shreds them. That 0-73 loss to the Bears for the 1940 Championship? Pffttt...why settle for the Field Goal when you can score that 11th TD?

"YOU LIKE THAT?!?!?!" 

Like it, Kirk? I'd love it. I'd want some more of it.

C'mon Captain Kirk,  commence the air raid that brings to pass the rock bottom that this self-destructive franchise needs to hit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gally said:

 

It isn't a good way to measure QB performance, however in Cousins case he doesn't seem to be able to make a key play when trailing late in a game.  It has been his biggest downfall while on the Vikings and my biggest worry as a Vikings fan.  He plays great with the lead and no pressure but when the pressure ramps up and he has to make a play he usually makes terrible decisions and turns the ball over (case in point the GB game this year).  Until he makes plays in a tight game to bring the Vikes back I will have doubts about Cousins. 

He is very Dalton like in this regard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

forgot tonight was against his old team.  that may change my thinking a little....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, joffer said:

forgot tonight was against his old team.  that may change my thinking a little....

Absolutely. I am facing him in a few leagues and I am worried. Even without Theilen you know he is going to be motivated to step on their throat even if up by 3 TD heading into the 4th quarter. Zimmer probably couldn't care less and would be fine running it up if it made Cousins happy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, joffer said:

forgot tonight was against his old team.  that may change my thinking a little....

Shouldn't Keenum and AP be motivated for the same reason?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s my backup to Mahomes and I’m playing the 6-1 team in my league. And just like always on prime time he’s killing me.

 

and watch Mahomes play Sunday night. Yeah yeah yeah point to the whatever...this hobby sucks sometimes...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah total BS. Total screw job. And God forbid they throw one more pass to at least get to 300 yards for some bonus points.

And yes I am a mahomes owner too..so watch him play and get 40

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, starks said:

Absolutely. I am facing him in a few leagues and I am worried.

Facing him tonight too, and while I expected the Vikes to be in a place to run out the clock in the 4th with a lead, I did not expect how they got that lead -- all through the run and FGs. Thought for sure Cousins was going to slice/dice with Diggs/Rudolph.

For owners, take heart -- this was an odd game, and Cousins will be solid going forward as usual. Just a snakebit night in terms of how the script played out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Kirk Cousins completed 23-of-26 passes for 285 yards, zero touchdowns and zero interceptions in the Vikings' 19-9, Week 8 win over the Redskins.

One of his incompletions was a throwaway. Another, a drop. Cousins was pinpoint precise, but he did take three sacks, each of which was extremely ill-timed. That has been a theme for Cousins throughout his career. Either way, it was another great night for a quarterback missing his No. 1 receiver in Adam Thielen. Cousins has cleared 285 yards in four straight starts while posting a consistently gaudy completion percentage and YPA. A Week 9 shootout with the Chiefs awaits. Thielen should be back for that one. Cousins will be a QB1.

 

Edited by The Frankman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2019 at 3:12 PM, joffer said:

guy is on fire.  i love him the rest of the season.  this Thursday seems like a bit of trap fantasy-wise though.  feel like they'll be ahead early and just run all day.

first instinct is usually right

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kirk Cousins completed just 19-of-38 passes for 220 yards and three touchdowns in the Vikings' 26-23, Week 9 loss to the Chiefs.

Cousins came into Week 9 completing over 72% of his throws, so he was off today with just the 50% completion rate. Stefon Diggs was taken away with just 1-4-0 on four targets, and Adam Thielen re-injured his hamstring on the first series of the game. Cousins tossed touchdowns to Olabisi Johnson, Ameer Abdullah, and Kyle Rudolph, but Minnesota lost on back-to-back fourth-quarter field goals from Harrison Butker. Cousins will be a borderline QB1 next week against Dallas.

Nov 3, 2019, 4:25 PM ET

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Kirk Cousins completed 29-of-35 passes for 319 yards and three touchdowns in the Vikings' 27-23, Week 11 win over the Broncos.

It will go down as one of the best starts of Cousins' career, as he helped rally the Vikings from a 20-0 halftime deficit. Cousins took three first half sacks, lost a fumble and had only 58 yards at the break. He was surgical the final two quarters, taking layups underneath while hitting huge scoring plays to Stefon Diggs and Kyle Rudolph. Cousins has been playing at an extremely high level for the better part of two months. He gets the Vikings' Week 12 bye to rest up before a road date with the Seahawks.

 

Edited by The Frankman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After 11 games Kirk Cousins is on pace for 465 passing attempts 328 completions 4009 yards 31 TD 4 interceptions.

This is very similar to the numbers he put up with the Vikings last season, except on 23% fewer pass attempts.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Kirk Cousins completed 22-of-38 passes for 276 yards, two touchdowns, and one interception in the Vikings' 37-30, Week 13 loss to the Seahawks.

Cousins wasn't the problem in this one. His interception was a lucky grab by CB Tre Flowers. Having Adam Thielen (hamstring) would have really helped Monday night. Cousins' touchdowns went to Laquon Treadwell from 58 yards out and a three-yard hookup to Kyle Rudolph, both coming in the fourth quarter with the Vikings making a legit run at a comeback. Cousins will be a back-end QB1 next week against the Lions at home. Cousins had 337 yards and four touchdowns against the Lions back in Week 7.

 

Edited by The Frankman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With 12 games played Kirk Cousin currently has 358 passing attempts 248 completions (69.3%) 3032 yards 23 TD 4 interceptions/

This is on pace for  477 pass attempts 331 completions (69/3%) 4043 yards   31 TD 5 interceptions.

Last year Cousins had 4298 yards and 30 TD but with 129 more passing attempts.

The reason I bring this up is that most projections for Cousins before the season predicted the decline in passing attempts for Cousins this season and that looks like it will be correct, however the production on those attempts was predicted to be much less.

When volume goes down efficiency goes up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Biabreakable said:

With 12 games played Kirk Cousin currently has 358 passing attempts 248 completions (69.3%) 3032 yards 23 TD 4 interceptions/

This is on pace for  477 pass attempts 331 completions (69/3%) 4043 yards   31 TD 5 interceptions.

Last year Cousins had 4298 yards and 30 TD but with 129 more passing attempts.

The reason I bring this up is that most projections for Cousins before the season predicted the decline in passing attempts for Cousins this season and that looks like it will be correct, however the production on those attempts was predicted to be much less.

When volume goes down efficiency goes up.

And thielen has missed about half those games too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2019 at 10:22 PM, Faust said:

I'm not sure I want this to happen. I would love to see them draft a QB this year and have him sit a year under Kirk. I like Kirk but I'm not sold on him being able to take this team all the way. He puts up good numbers and plays great against weaker competition and even decent teams when he feels like he has to prove himself. But when it counts against the teams he needs to beat in the playoffs more often than not he struggles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Heatman said:

I'm not sure I want this to happen. I would love to see them draft a QB this year and have him sit a year under Kirk. I like Kirk but I'm not sold on him being able to take this team all the way. He puts up good numbers and plays great against weaker competition and even decent teams when he feels like he has to prove himself. But when it counts against the teams he needs to beat in the playoffs more often than not he struggles.

He’s a top 5 QB in the league w/out Thielen right now. I understand the ‘hrs not clutch’ concern (which I somewhat overblown IMO) but he’s a guy you can rely on to play every week. Look how he’s responded after a tough first month. That’s impressive. 
 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-quarterback-rankings-entering-week-14-2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mr roboto said:

He’s a top 5 QB in the league w/out Thielen right now. I understand the ‘hrs not clutch’ concern (which I somewhat overblown IMO) but he’s a guy you can rely on to play every week. Look how he’s responded after a tough first month. That’s impressive. 
 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-quarterback-rankings-entering-week-14-2019

I agree it's impressive. But prior to that stretch the media and fans were pretty hard on him for his play in clutch situations. So he did have a major chip on his shoulder during that stretch which he even admitted. If they are going to keep him that's fine but do we have to keep ripping on him to get him to play at his optimum level? Or can he sustain it even when being praised? I know that sounds ridiculous but it seems to be what motivates him. Heck thinking about it that's what motivates this whole team imo. Whenever they have a good stretch and "Superbowl" talk starts they come out and lay an egg in a big way, usually in the playoffs. After the "Minneapolis Miracle" I thought maybe they had finally turned the corner in that respect... until they laid an egg against Philly.

I guess my point is I would like to see him have that drive to win no matter what. Quite frankly I have not seen that from him yet.

On a side note they also need to continue to strengthen that O-line. For him or for whoever. This year has been better but there is still a lot of room for improvement and if that happens it could very well solve a lot of issues. Even with a decent but not great O-line the offense seems to be trending towards being the strength of the team while the defense is faltering.

Understand I'm not ripping on him or the team because I don't like them. I am simply stating what I believe needs to happen in order for them to be serious contenders. As a lifelong Vikings fan I've seen it time and time again where they are favored heavily in a critical game and simply are not up to the challenge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.