Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

RB Doug Martin, Free Agent

From CBS. Not sure this is a good thing:

Fantasy Football Week 11 Start 'Em and Sit 'Em: Doug Martin is due to break out in running-back friendly Miami

The Dolphins defense has been running on empty lately, and the Bucs' Doug Martin is due for a big game. That adds up to our start of the week.

by Jamey Eisenberg

@JameyEisenberg

8m ago • 37 min read

This is a great time to be involved in your Fantasy league. Trade deadlines are approaching, you're making moves for the Fantasy playoffs and every add/drop feels like the most crucial decision of your life.

WEEK 11

Cheat Sheet

Trade Values Chart

Experts' rankings breakdown

Streaming options

You want to win. And that's an exhilarating feeling.

This is a big week, especially if your Fantasy team is hovering around .500. A loss could end your season, or you can put yourself right in the thick of the playoff race with a victory.

Four teams are on a bye with Carolina, Indianapolis, San Francisco and the Jets, so you need to adjust your lineups with players from those teams out. And you could be dealing with the usual allotment of injuries, including Devonta Freeman (concussion), Ty Montgomery (ribs), Chris Hogan (shoulder) and Jordan Reed (hamstring) banged up, among many others.

In fact, the biggest injury for the week might be Dallas left tackle Tyron Smith (groin), who was out in Week 10 at Atlanta, and the Cowboys offense fell apart. If Smith remains out in Week 11 against Philadelphia, then it could be bad news for Dak Prescott, Alfred Morris and Dez Bryant.

We also have a new starting quarterback in Buffalo with Tyrod Taylor being benched in favor of rookie Nathan Peterman, which isn't encouraging for LeSean McCoy, Kelvin Benjamin and Charles Clay. You might not have been starting Taylor, Benjamin or Clay this week at the Chargers, but we hope McCoy will still play well despite a likely downgrade from Taylor to Peterman.

There's a lot to cover in Week 11. And there's a lot on the line for your Fantasy teams.

We'll have you prepared, and hopefully all your Fantasy matchups this week will be successful.

Editor's Note: Projections are provided by CBS Sports and not Jamey Eisenberg.

Start of the Week

Doug Martin RB / Buccaneers

WEEK 11 PROJECTION: 9.8 Fantasy points

I'm always looking for a good story for Start of the Week as much as the right player for this spot. And I had several choices for this week.

To give you a peek behind the curtain, two of my colleagues, Pete Prisco and Nick Kostos, have enjoyed the highs and lows of my Start of the Week picks this year -- mostly the lows. They like watching me celebrate and suffer as the Start of the Week plays.

I bring that up because two players I considered this week were Jay Ajayi and Tevin Coleman, but I ruled them out since they play in prime time. I didn't want to ruin the fun for Pete and Nick, and Ajayi and Coleman will still be mentioned in the column anyway.

Alex Smith was another Start of the Week candidate, as was Adrian Peterson. I like their stories, but not as much as the one for Doug Martin. He's due for a big game, and he'll get it this week at Miami.

Think about the running backs who have faced the Dolphins of late. Heading into Week 8, we were begging the Ravens to get Alex Collins more work, and he went off against Miami for 143 total yards.

In Week 9, Marshawn Lynch was coming off a one-game suspension for making contact with an official, and he scored two touchdowns with 63 total yards against the Dolphins. Finally, in Week 10, the Panthers did whatever they wanted on the ground against Miami, including Jonathan Stewart rumbling for 110 rushing yards.

To recap, we had the best game of Collins' young career, the best Fantasy game of the season for Lynch and the best rushing game of the year for Stewart -- all in consecutive weeks against the Dolphins. Martin is next, and he should deliver another strong performance.

Now, I'll admit, it's risky to trust him. He's averaging just 3.3 yards per carry, he hasn't scored a touchdown in four games in a row and he has just five catches on the season, including no receptions in the past two games.

But the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are sticking with him as their main running back after he had 20 carries in Week 10 against the Jets. And if he gets that type of workload against Miami this week, he should be fine, with the potential to be awesome.

It's a great story. And Martin will also be a great Fantasy option this week.

I'm starting Martin over: DeMarco Murray (at PIT), Lamar Miller (vs. ARI), Marshawn Lynch (vs. NE), Joe Mixon (at DEN) and Alfred Morris (vs. PHI)

37 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Fantasy Football Week 11 Start 'Em and Sit 'Em: Doug Martin is due to break out in running-back friendly Miami

The Dolphins defense has been running on empty lately, and the Bucs' Doug Martin is due for a big game. That adds up to our start of the week.

by Jamey Eisenberg

@JameyEisenberg

8m ago • 37 min read

This is a great time to be involved in your Fantasy league. Trade deadlines are approaching, you're making moves for the Fantasy playoffs and every add/drop feels like the most crucial decision of your life.

WEEK 11

Cheat Sheet

Trade Values Chart

Streaming options

This is a big week, especially if your Fantasy team is hovering around .500. A loss could end your season, or you can put yourself right in the thick of the playoff race with a victory.

Four teams are on a bye with Carolina, Indianapolis, San Francisco and the Jets, so you need to adjust your lineups with players from those teams out. And you could be dealing with the usual allotment of injuries, including Devonta Freeman (concussion), Ty Montgomery (ribs), Chris Hogan (shoulder) and Jordan Reed (hamstring) banged up, among many others.

In fact, the biggest injury for the week might be Dallas left tackle Tyron Smith (groin), who was out in Week 10 at Atlanta, and the Cowboys offense fell apart. If Smith remains out in Week 11 against Philadelphia, then it could be bad news for Dak Prescott, Alfred Morris and Dez Bryant.

We also have a new starting quarterback in Buffalo with Tyrod Taylor being benched in favor of rookie Nathan Peterman, which isn't encouraging for LeSean McCoy, Kelvin Benjamin and Charles Clay. You might not have been starting Taylor, Benjamin or Clay this week at the Chargers, but we hope McCoy will still play well despite a likely downgrade from Taylor to Peterman.

There's a lot to cover in Week 11. And there's a lot on the line for your Fantasy teams.

We'll have you prepared, and hopefully all your Fantasy matchups this week will be successful.

Start of the Week

I'm always looking for a good story for Start of the Week as much as the right player for this spot. And I had several choices for this week.

To give you a peek behind the curtain, two of my colleagues, Pete Prisco and Nick Kostos, have enjoyed the highs and lows of my Start of the Week picks this year -- mostly the lows. They like watching me celebrate and suffer as the Start of the Week plays.

I bring that up because two players I considered this week were Jay Ajayi and Tevin Coleman, but I ruled them out since they play in prime time. I didn't want to ruin the fun for Pete and Nick, and Ajayi and Coleman will still be mentioned in the column anyway.

Alex Smith was another Start of the Week candidate, as was Adrian Peterson. I like their stories, but not as much as the one for Doug Martin. He's due for a big game, and he'll get it this week at Miami.

Think about the running backs who have faced the Dolphins of late. Heading into Week 8, we were begging the Ravens to get Alex Collins more work, and he went off against Miami for 143 total yards.

In Week 9, Marshawn Lynch was coming off a one-game suspension for making contact with an official, and he scored two touchdowns with 63 total yards against the Dolphins. Finally, in Week 10, the Panthers did whatever they wanted on the ground against Miami, including Jonathan Stewart rumbling for 110 rushing yards.

To recap, we had the best game of Collins' young career, the best Fantasy game of the season for Lynch and the best rushing game of the year for Stewart -- all in consecutive weeks against the Dolphins. Martin is next, and he should deliver another strong performance.

Now, I'll admit, it's risky to trust him. He's averaging just 3.3 yards per carry, he hasn't scored a touchdown in four games in a row and he has just five catches on the season, including no receptions in the past two games.

But the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are sticking with him as their main running back after he had 20 carries in Week 10 against the Jets. And if he gets that type of workload against Miami this week, he should be fine, with the potential to be awesome.

I'm starting Martin over: DeMarco Murray (at PIT), Lamar Miller (vs. ARI), Marshawn Lynch (vs. NE), Joe Mixon (at DEN) and Alfred Morris (vs. PHI)

What an idiot.  Do NOT follow this advice. 

Eh, if he touches the ball 20 times vs. MIA I have a hard time seeing him not produce. His schedule since week 6 has been trash. Even NO and NYJ, who he's faced most recently have not been RB friendly. NO has allowed the 5th least and NYJ the 6th least ppg to RBs over the past 5 weeks. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SameSongNDance said:

Eh, if he touches the ball 20 times vs. MIA I have a hard time seeing him not produce. His schedule since week 6 has been trash. Even NO and NYJ, who he's faced most recently have not been RB friendly. NO has allowed the 5th least and NYJ the 6th least ppg to RBs over the past 5 weeks. 

This is the thing that slays me every year. People just don't get it. Outside of the elite talents, much of production is driven by matchups.

Outside of the Buffalo D (whose recent performance may well be driven by Darius leaving), all of Martin's opponents (CAR, NO, AZ, NYJ) are top 12 points against RBs. NE is just in the upper half, and they've improved recently. (Martin did run 13-74-1 against them).

The recency bias force is strong with this one.

Think there's a better than flip of the coin chance this week that lots of Martin points are kept on the bench this week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kyoun1e said:

by Jamey Eisenberg

@JameyEisenberg

8m ago • 37 min read

WEEK 11

Cheat Sheet

Trade Values Chart

Streaming options

Start of the Week

:doh:

I'd feel better about starting him if all the "experts" we're fading him

25 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

This is the thing that slays me every year. People just don't get it. Outside of the elite talents, much of production is driven by matchups.

Outside of the Buffalo D (whose recent performance may well be driven by Darius leaving), all of Martin's opponents (CAR, NO, AZ, NYJ) are top 12 points against RBs. NE is just in the upper half, and they've improved recently. (Martin did run 13-74-1 against them).

The recency bias force is strong with this one.

Think there's a better than flip of the coin chance this week that lots of Martin points are kept on the bench this week.

Hope you're right, per yahoo his next 5 run defenses he faces are 11, 12, 10, 6 and 12 best for rb's 

Well ####. Maybe i shouldn’t have come in here. Moved to starting lineup in superflex. Starting over Corey Davis, maclin, Alf, and Perine

0.5 ppr. Matchup is too juicy and dolphins offense is stalling. 

Edited by ahartig

1 hour ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Kiss of death. Eisenberg's "start of the week". I can't tell you how many times I've been jinxed by this guy over the years. GUH!

• Like 2

The Pissing & Moaning Thread is gonna be busy Sunday if this doesn't work out for us.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

I sweep most of the major fantasy sites and this is the only one. Not on a single sleeper list.

This is make or break for my team and Martin. I'm debating Martin in PPR over both D. Parker and A. Cooper. All three of these clowns have been a nightmare. I'm confident I'll make the wrong choice.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

I sweep most of the major fantasy sites and this is the only one. Not on a single sleeper list.

This is make or break for my team and Martin. I'm debating Martin in PPR over both D. Parker and A. Cooper. All three of these clowns have been a nightmare. I'm confident I'll make the wrong choice.

Pick Cooper - I have Martin and Parker ;) 

Have him in all three leagues and may start him in 1 or 2 of them. Most important league is standard and  I'll be deciding between Marquis Lee, Collins, Morris and Martin in the flex position. Def not starting Morris over him against Philly, I know that much so far. 

Deciding between him, Parker, K Allen and Abdullah in the 2nd. Have Parker in just now. 

And him, Stills, Abdullah, and Mixon @Den in the third. Have Stills in just now, but may swing Martin here. 

Edited by TartanLion

Own him in all three of my money leagues. I’m going to start him in 1/3 to hedge my bets in case he blows up or busts.

I just don't think I can bring myself to start "stinks like Dookie Martin"...drafted him in two leagues thinking I was the smart one. Crap's on me, eh, Doug?

9 minutes ago, Franknbeans said:

sitting him for Ekeler

This intrigues me.

9 minutes ago, Franknbeans said:

sitting him for Ekeler

I was able to grab Ekeler as well, but I'm leaning toward Martin because he seems to have a higher floor while Ekeler has the higher ceiling.  Are you choosing Ekeler due to the perceived higher ceiling?  Or some other reason?

• Like 1

The ceiling.  I need a win to keep my playoff hopes alive and I don't trust Martin or for that matter, Gordon. The Bills having a pretty bad run defense helps, too.

Edited by Franknbeans
  • Like 2

Tentatively in my lineup as a flex over Darkwa, Alex Collins & Derrick Henry.

13 hours ago, oddsbodkins said:

Wow. He's starting him over Beast Mode?! Brave!

Yeah, that's a tough call. NE is very susceptible to the run this year. Would I rather have 15 touches for Beast Mode vs. NE or 20 touches for Martin @ Miami. (or 25 touches for Peterson @ Houston). Very tough choices for RB3/Flex.

I think he shows up this week and has one of his better weeks but with the Freeman injury I am starting Coleman over him.

This is a what have you done for me lately team and I'm sticking to it

Just saw this blurb on Rotoworld~

Bucs OC Todd Monken said the offense has to continue running the football despite their struggles in recent weeks.

Doug Martin has rushed for just 231 yards on 80 carries (2.89 YPC) in the last five games, but the coordinator does not plan to abandon the run. "It helps our offense as a whole, makes play-action work, helps defense play fewer snaps," Monken said. "Have to keep hammering at it." With the coordinator committed to the run and the schedule opening up over the next couple weeks, Martin could bounce back just in time for the fantasy playoffs.

Source: Scott Smith on Twitter

Nov 16 - 12:09 PM

The opportunity portion of the equation is still in play . . . . .

• Like 2

i'm starting beast mode over martin at RB2.  i rather start the RB on a team that is not currently a dumpster fire

I read that they recently got all their starters back from injury, so while not a great line, they should be decent. Combine that with Mike Evans coming back and a questionable Miami defense and... well, there's a chance of some nice production. Cutler usually gives the opposing team some nice field position once or twice a game.

Starting him as my 3rd RB over Anderson, L Murray and Collins. 

18 hours ago, zoonation said:

What an idiot.  Do NOT follow this advice. 

What besides the "He's due" reasoning did you find so egregious about it?

FWIW football outsiders ranks Miami as the 21st defense against the run and in Miamis most recent game they did give up 294 rushing yards to Carolina who does not have very good offensive line support. Hell even Cameron Artis Payne had 9.7 ypc against them.

Miami seems to be in a tailspin and the players giving up now.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

FWIW football outsiders ranks Miami as the 21st defense against the run and in Miamis most recent game they did give up 294 rushing yards to Carolina who does not have very good offensive line support. Hell even Cameron Artis Payne had 9.7 ypc against them.

On the other hand, Tampa on the road is less likely to lay the kind of beating that might make guys give up.

• Like 1

Just now, J R said:

On the other hand, Tampa on the road is less likely to lay the kind of beating that might make guys give up.

Tampa hasn't been playing very well either, so maybe this evens things out.

yeah i do agree there's a difference between jonathan stewart steamrolling them and the doug martin situation.  yes miami is the same crappy defense but carolina is a team playing very well and motivated.  tampa bay.. not so much lol

10 hours ago, Steeler said:

Pick Cooper - I have Martin and Parker ;) 

Lol.

I'm already starting D. Carr. A lot of eggs in the OAK basket. And I'm a pats fan feeling that the NE D is coming around a bit.

One thing to consider in starting/benching Martin is the TB defense. More specifically, what the heck took place last week against NYJ?

McCown came in there on fire and from what I can gather, did nothing until a garbage time TD to R. Anderson.

Anyone watch the game? Did TB get some D guys back from injury? I know they were banged up.

If TB's D is turning a corner (like it did 2nd half last year) this would only help Martin. 

• Like 1

The biggest issue with Doug has been an aggregating combination of the Bucs O as a whole...

First off the Coaching staff blows, Koetter is gonna get fired at some point because they just look like a mess

Second, the offensive line has looked like #### compared to how they were projected to be this "Top 10" line with a budding star in Ali Marpet and another year of chemistry and health... Whenever I have watched Doug or another RB try to work the play happens in one of 3 ways

1. The OLine ####s the bed and there is no hole and its a loss or no gain
  2. The Oline hits its assignments and looks great and Doug runs for 6-20 yards BUT some idiot gets flagged for holding... I CANT BEGIN TO TALK ABOUT ALL THE HOLDING AND DUMB FLAGS, I honestly think Doug has lost about half his potential rushing yards to Oline penalties since he started.
  3. The OLine finally opens a nice hole a Doug looks good....

Third, Winston has been playing injured for weeks and now fitzpatrick is in and doing whatever so the whole O just hasnt been good... 

With the medley of Tampa Bay crap it all combines to #### Doug, and since doug is not some elite RB he just cannot overcome the struggles especially when the bucs get down and they sub him out for Sims or they get a holding penalty and get long 2nd and 3rds and just abandon the run...

His volume comes to the predictable first down runs they always have stacked boxes for... I'm just very frustrated with the situation because there is no way any of us can move doug for value and the position scarcity is just so bad this year at RB that we cant not start someone with this kind of volume

I think us owners have to hold Doug and pray that the O starts to pick up right in time for playoffs when a healthy winston returns with some positive gamescripts

Ok im done

Edited by PPRGuy
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, FF Ninja said:

Yeah, that's a tough call. NE is very susceptible to the run this year. Would I rather have 15 touches for Beast Mode vs. NE or 20 touches for Martin @ Miami. (or 25 touches for Peterson @ Houston). Very tough choices for RB3/Flex.

Good chance NE blows Oakland out and the run is abandoned early imo

8 hours ago, Biabreakable said:

No. You nailed it.  This is pure he’s due analysis, topped off with a massive helping of wishful thinking.  

But go ahead.  Roll those dice.  I am in one league.  Have no choice.   But I’m not drinking this soft analysis kool-aid.  Martin and the Bucs are brutal. He doesn’t catch passes.  They are awful at running the ball and have proved it week after week after week.  

But hey, he’s due!

Edited by zoonation

1. He hasn’t done anything all year (consistently) even with Mike Evans in the lineup - Evans coming back should not factor in your decision at all.

2. I refuse to chase points. Even in the off chance he does well this week I need to see it first before I trust him going forward. 

3. Tampa is a complete disaster. It’s not all on Martin they just aren’t very good as a whole. 

4. Fade Eisenberg.

5. Only way I start him is if I have no other option. 

Edited by Elevencents

46 minutes ago, Elevencents said:

1. He hasn’t done anything all year (consistently) even with Mike Evans in the lineup - Evans coming back should not factor in your decision at all.

2. I refuse to chase points. Even in the off chance he does well this week I need to see it first before I trust him going forward. 

3. Tampa is a complete disaster. It’s not all on Martin they just aren’t very good as a whole. 

4. Fade Eisenberg.

5. Only way I start him is if I have no other option. 

Who are you starting over him?

41 minutes ago, Steeler said:

Hunt, Kamara and can’t decide btw Wood/Ajayi.  PPR

Edited by zoonation

9 hours ago, Elevencents said:

Isn't that the definition of chasing points?

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Good chance NE blows Oakland out and the run is abandoned early imo

I guess we have different definitions of "good chance."

New England has only had one blow out win all year. All other wins have been by 2 scores or less. So the odds of them making this a blow out are slim and the odds of it being a blow out EARLY are even slimmer. 

12 minutes ago, FF Ninja said:

Isn't that the definition of chasing points?

Nah wouldn’t start him for just one good game. If that were the case D Murray wouldn’t have been on my bench since week 3. Need to see TB playing better not necessarily a good point performance by Martin. 

8 hours ago, Steeler said:

Kamara and McKinnon. Drafted Cook, D Murray and Martin earlier and all benched/hurt.

Edited by Elevencents

Tampa's D has given up 30+ points in all 4 of their road match-ups.  I don't know if Miami is capable of that, but if the defense continues to play that way Doug won't be able to get going at all. 

That same defense was tremendous against the Jets, but that was at home.  They've started to employ a 3-3-5 alignment that finally clicked against NY.  If it works against Miami as well Doug will get his opportunities. 

Maybe he just sucks when he can't use steroids.  That is what he was suspended for and might explain the huge performance gaps in his career.