What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite New England Patriots Thread (12 Viewers)

BB trades for a Vet corner, in my dreams.
I don't think this is all that far-fetched. Once the season rolls around, a decent vet may be available from a team that is not going anywhere who may have worn out his welcome, had some off field issues, has squawked about his contract, or otherwise has become unmotivated and the Pats will make a move. Sort of like what happened with Talib.

Well, don't hold your breath for an exciting draft move... or any move at all. I guess you never know. CB, OL, DE, WR, RB... move up and get Kevin White!!!!!!!! or Gordon!! lol and monkeys will take over the world. Oh, it's nice being Champs.

From what I have seen, many experts think there are probably only 10-15 legit first round picks. Then there are probably 35-40 guys who all grade out as second rounders.

Based on that, teams drafting in the latter parts of rounds one and two will probably lose out. They will end up with 2nd and 3rd round talent for their 1st and 2nd round picks.

1. [SIZE=16pt]Eddie Goldman NT Fla ST[/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=16pt]Byron Jones CB UCONN[/SIZE]
My two options for New England at the bottom of the first round.

Both areas of need.

Both areas of need.
Any reason you prefer Goldman to Phillips or Brown?

Goldman seems by far the worse of the three and I haven't seen one person say why they prefer Goldman over the other two other than his ability to stop the run, something the other two are also very good at.

Both areas of need.
Any reason you prefer Goldman to Phillips or Brown?

Goldman seems by far the worse of the three and I haven't seen one person say why they prefer Goldman over the other two other than his ability to stop the run, something the other two are also very good at.
I think Jordan Phillips is a 2nd round talent. I would be surprised if he goes in the first. The back surgery has me concerned.

I would take Malcom Brown over Goldman, but I think he will be gone by the time New England is on the clock.

I think Phillips is a fringe first, a part of that big list of 40-50 players from the 16-64 that are roughly the same tier (a tier I think Brown, Goldman and Davis are also a part of.)

I just don't get it. Everything I've seen or read suggests Goldman is the inferior talent, I'm just confused why he is perpetually rated ahead of the rest of the fringe DTs.

Phillips had a better 2014 than Goldman, Phillips actually showed up to the combine - and killed it. Phillips can contribute in the pass rush sporting one of the more explosive bursts at the line, something Goldman has literally none of.

BB seems to prefer the more athletic guys.

I do agree however, that Brown will likely be gone by the 32.

Last edited by a moderator:
Phillips has started 12 games in his career with 32 tackles, 7 for a loss, and 2 sacks. (2014)

Goldman's numbers in 2014 are 13 games, 35 tackles 8 for a loss, and 4 sacks.

The numbers are very similar. I think there is concern with Phillips' back surgery that ended his 2013 season.

Phillips has started 12 games in his career with 32 tackles, 7 for a loss, and 2 sacks. (2014)

The numbers are very similar. I think there is concern with Phillips' back surgery that ended his 2013 season.
Phillips played 13 games and Goldman played 14.

Phillips: 20 solo tackles, 38 total tackles, 7 for a loss. 2 sacks, 1 blocked kick, 1 PD and 1 FR.

Goldman: 19 solo tackles, 35 total, 8 for a loss. 4 sacks, 1 PD.

Its close obviously, but Phillips has the burst, length and speed.

Phillips played 13 games and Goldman played 14.

Phillips: 20 solo tackles, 38 total tackles, 7 for a loss. 2 sacks, 1 blocked kick, 1 PD and 1 FR.

Goldman: 19 solo tackles, 35 total, 8 for a loss. 4 sacks, 1 PD.

Its close obviously, but Phillips has the burst, length and speed.
We both agree it's close, I wouldn't fault New England for taking either player.

I still maintain the back surgery IS a factor here.

Without the back surgery, Phillips is ahead of Goldman.

I think I had a better shot at a perfect March madness bracket than I do at even getting the Pats first pick right.

I think its a pretty slim chance they have a shot at any CBs at the end of the 1st, starting with White, then Peters and early 2nd round Jones.

I think its a pretty slim chance they have a shot at any CBs at the end of the 1st, starting with White, then Peters and early 2nd round Jones.
Who is White ?

I think one of the following, Kevin Johnson, Marcus Peters, Byron Jones will fall to New England at 32.

Who is White ?

I think one of the following, Kevin Johnson, Marcus Peters, Byron Jones will fall to New England at 32.
I meant Johnson. Kevin White/Johnson slip.

Same three I think have a shot of being there, I do t have any interest in Peters, from all accounts an idiot of the highest order.

Johnson is touted as the best Zone CB, Byron is a physical freak.

Was a 2014 finalist for the Bronco Nagurski Trophy (most outstanding defensive player) and for the Outland Trophy (top interior lineman). Selected first-team All-American and first-team All-Big 12. Became first defensive tackle to lead Texas in tackles for loss and sacks since Tony Degrate in 1984. Started every game over the 2013 and 2014 seasons. Is married (wife's name is Faith) with two children, Rayna and Mayah

Tonight reminds me of when Vince fell to us late in the first and the rest of the league was :o . I think the Pats were ready to trade out til Brown fell in our laps. :clap:

Not gonna pretend I know anything about Brown, but love that they drafted DL here. That's the position I was hoping for.

They seem to be able to plug-and-play and coach up anyone for the OL (especially interior) so didn't really want OL there, and they can't draft DBs and WRs for #### so DL seemed like smartest positional play. :)

Now double-dip on DBs and hope one of them doesn't wash out, take a few OL, probably a WR and LB and call it a draft.

WOW !!!!!!

I thought Brown woiuld have been gone by 19 to Cleveland.

Just a great pick, and a huge hole left from Wilfork's departure has been filled tonight.

:pickle:

Pats had to be pretty pumped when Indy passed on him to draft a WR. Looks like an excellent pick and they are well positioned to make a move up to grab someone in the second round with the back to back third rounders.

Brown is married with two kids? WTF.

Pats had to be pretty pumped when Indy passed on him to draft a WR. Looks like an excellent pick and they are well positioned to make a move up to grab someone in the second round with the back to back third rounders.

Brown is married with two kids? WTF.
thats a good thing.. .keeps him focused

So... Pats gotta be moving on from the hybrid defenses right?

4-3 now with splashes of 4-4 and 5-2.

Jamie Collins, EDGE/OLB/ILB
D'onta Hightower, EDGE/OLB/ILB

Jerod Mayo, EDGE/OLB/ILB

Chandler Jones, EDGE/OLB/DE

Rob Ninkovich, EDGE/OLB/DE

Jabaal Sheard, EDGE/OLB/DE/DT

Dominique Easley, EDGE/DE/DT

Malcom Brown, DE/NT/DT

Silver Siliga, DT/NT
Alan Branch, DT/NT

Plenty of dudes on the board still, Owamagbe Odighizuwa, Preston Smith, Danielle Hunter, Mario Edwards Jr, Davis Tull, Benardrick Mckinney, Denzel Perryman and Randy Gregory.

Jerod Mayo, EDGE/OLB/ILB

Malcom Brown, DE/NT/DT

Silver Siliga, DT/NT

Alan Branch, DT/NT

Plenty of dudes on the board still, Owamagbe Odighizuwa, Preston Smith, Danielle Hunter, Mario Edwards Jr, Davis Tull, Benardrick Mckinney, Denzel Perryman and Randy Gregory.
Man, I really like that front 7.

I think they could still play a hybrid 3 man front on maybe run downs if they want -- they have the personnel.

even with our ####ty corner situation they'll probably be in nickel more often than not, so it becomes more about the front than '3-4' or '4-3', and that's largely semantics, as it just depends on whether nink or chandler put their hand on the ground at the snap.

Jerod Mayo, EDGE/OLB/ILB

Malcom Brown, DE/NT/DT

Silver Siliga, DT/NT

Alan Branch, DT/NT

Man, I really like that front 7.
first and second rounders bolded --- of those 8 guys only collins was drafted outside the first 40 players taken.

Down to earth smart guy.

He's got some deceptive speed and a good mix of speed and power at the line.

Watching highlights of him from 2014 is great. Fun to watch.

You almost can't comment on a pick like this because BB has struck gold on a pick like this and totally whiffed as well...I'm hoping it's more of a young Eugene Wilson pick than Tavon Wilson pick...

That pick sucked eggs.

1% chance someone is taking him before the end of the third. Walter football had him projected mid 6th.

Just bad value. Take Cann or Strong there and pick Richards next round.

You almost can't comment on a pick like this because BB has struck gold on a pick like this and totally whiffed as well...I'm hoping it's more of a young Eugene Wilson pick than Tavon Wilson pick...
Yes you can.... That pick sucks.

If someone would draft CB's for Bill the last 15 years the Pars would have 8 SB's.

Users who are viewing this thread