What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite New England Patriots Thread (16 Viewers)

strap in - 202 comin' up!

belichick drafts a placekicking donkey with this one -- calling it now

Last edited by a moderator:
Didnt realize Xavier Dickson was still on the board. I like it.

One of the best DTs in this class and four EDGE players.

Can't hold all this defense.

Id like to see the Pats to go after La'el.

Playlist of highlights of the 2015 draft choices and UDFAs signed so far.

The highlights of Jordan Richards are from his Freshman/Sophmore years, they aren't great. Everyone else looks pretty great in one way or another, I think its pretty clear they are transitioning to a mostly 4-3 front but excited to see some possible 4-4 and 5-2 with all these potential playmakers.

Kool-Aid Larry said:
Christopher Price @cpriceNFL

Roberts was not invited to the combine, but his 6.66 3-cone would have been the best of any CB at the combine if he went. #3cone
In addition to posting ridiculous workout numbers, Roberts had 17 passes defended in 2014. It will be interesting to see if he can make the roster. I respect that Bill seems to careless about draft position when he making roster decisions.

Comparing first round pick Shaq Thompson to 6th round pick Matt Wells. Matt's size suggests he's somewhere between a SS and a small LB, but he played LB almost his entire collegiate career. His frame isn't maxed out, so he has room to bulk up.

And he maybe might possibly be 80% blind in one eye. :unsure:

If he makes the team pretty confident he will find work on STs immediately, but with some development I think Bill could find him something to do on defense. Maybe build a defender to cover these hulking TEs?

More fuel for the Matt Wells hype train: PFF liked the Pats Day 3

https://twitter.com/hashtag/Patriots?src=hash

#Patriots
https://twitter.com/hashtag/Patriots?src=hash' LB Matthew Wells allowed 48.4% of passes into his coverage to be completed vs Power 5 teams, lowest among all draft eligible LBs
— Pro Football Focus (@PFF)
https://twitter.com/PFF/status/595276501601357825May 4, 2015
https://twitter.com/PFF/status/595276501601357825
Initially, we saw the pick-up of Wells as a move for special teams depth. Perhaps we were wrong – Wells does have athleticism and starting experience and could potentially grow into a role as a sub-package linebacker.
After being picked by the Pats:

Question: What did the Patriots tell you about what position they might use you at?

Wells: I don’t really know. Whatever they want me to play, that’s the position I’ll play. I don’t really know. Whatever position they have for me, that’s what I’m willing to do.

Question: Would you rule out running back from your perspective?

Wells: Like I said, it doesn’t matter. Whatever position they think I’m best at and want to try me at, that’s what I’m willing to play.

Question: Are you legally blind in one of your eyes?

Wells: I am, by number. I can see, just not the reading, but it’s just the legal number for it. I can see out of it. It’s been like that since I’ve been smaller, so it’s all I really know.

Question: Which eye is that?

Wells: My right eye.

Question: So it doesn’t really impact you in football?

Wells: It doesn’t, no.
Kid measures up and surpasses Shaq Thompson in some regards. I like this pick more and more.

I've also read that its likely the Pats took Cardona in the 5th to increase the odds the Navy/Marines will waive his commitment or allow him to pay them back instead.

I've also read that its likely the Pats took Cardona in the 5th to increase the odds the Navy/Marines will waive his commitment or allow him to pay them back instead.
BB has deep ties to the Naval Academy...would not be surprised if made a call or two was made prior to the draft...

Anyone think the Pats will pursue La'el Collins?

He will get pretty much the same exact max contract wherever he goes, the difference being if he signed with the Pats, or any team likely to make it deep in the playoffs he will collect game checks for the post season. Mason and Jackson both played RG and neither are particularly athletic, at least not as much as you would want for someone to play LG.

Collins would absolutely start at LG, so he would get a full year worth of starts, possible post season starts and should be eligible for extension year two so they could sign him to a legit contract - if willing.

Jackson's offensive line coach Rick Trickett was pretty fired up about the whole thing.

Trickett: "I wish (the Patriots) would take all my guys because they're about the only damn team that knows what the hell to do with them."

He will get pretty much the same exact max contract wherever he goes, the difference being if he signed with the Pats, or any team likely to make it deep in the playoffs he will collect game checks for the post season. Mason and Jackson both played RG and neither are particularly athletic, at least not as much as you would want for someone to play LG.

Collins would absolutely start at LG, so he would get a full year worth of starts, possible post season starts and should be eligible for extension year two so they could sign him to a legit contract - if willing.
I doubt the Pats would offer a contract soon enough to be able to sign him. They would want him to be completely exonerated and squeaky clean before they even talked to him. Other teams will have already made offers by then. In a post Hernandez world, I really don't see them jumping into the fray so soon.

I doubt the Pats would offer a contract soon enough to be able to sign him. They would want him to be completely exonerated and squeaky clean before they even talked to him. Other teams will have already made offers by then. In a post Hernandez world, I really don't see them jumping into the fray so soon.
I read today his agent said he had received calls from literally every team in the NFL (granted, that was his agent) and that he has meetings with the Fins and Bills - which the Bills think probably happened already with the Rex news.

The thing is, no team can offer Collins more than any other team, so not sure what criteria he would use to pick a team. I still think the pats will be less aggressive than others.

Well, teams in states with no income tax means he will make more. Teams likely to make the playoffs means he will make more, and teams in which he will get more play time he can make more.

Outside of that even field I believe.

Probably not the best time, but Brandon Spikes is visiting the Pats today.

If hes willing to be paid like a two down LB, id love to have him back.

Patriots released Kyle Arrington today and signed Fred Davis.

If they sign Spikes it will be tomorrow so it doesn't count against compensatory formula.

If they sign Spikes it will be tomorrow so it doesn't count against compensatory formula.
I am beginning to wonder if there is an on-line cornerback store that BB is going to go on a binge shopping spree on. By my count, that makes 4 of 6 CBs from last year no longer with the team. It sure will be interesting when the master plan becomes apparent.

I am beginning to wonder if there is an on-line cornerback store that BB is going to go on a binge shopping spree on. By my count, that makes 4 of 6 CBs from last year no longer with the team. It sure will be interesting when the master plan becomes apparent.
I think Bill is gonna show up opening day and they'll be running a 4-4 or 46.

We've got like 5 SS and 4 CB.

The NFL has announced their penalty for Deflategate...the Pats must play the entire 2015 season without any cornerbacks...

Seriously. Who's left on the CB depth chart?
The remaining players on the depth chart are Malcolm Butler, Bradley Fletcher, Logan Ryan, Robert McClain, Chimdi Chekwa, Dax Swanson, Justin Green and rookies Darryl Roberts, Jimmy Jean and Eric Patterson.

The only thing I can come up with is that the Pats are clearing cap space to be able to go out and trade for a veteran CB. Mike Reiss also suggested that NE may resign Arrington, but if so, why not just redo his contract?

The only thing I can come up with is that the Pats are clearing cap space to be able to go out and trade for a veteran CB. Mike Reiss also suggested that NE may resign Arrington, but if so, why not just redo his contract?
only thing I can think of is maybe they approached him about that and he didn't want to do it, so they release him to let him test the market and report back with the offers, at which point they decide if they want to match.

I'm not really understanding miguel's numbers on him --- he was due 3m in salary, but he's got him listed for a bunch of guaranteed money I can't figure out

only thing I can think of is maybe they approached him about that and he didn't want to do it, so they release him to let him test the market and report back with the offers, at which point they decide if they want to match.

I'm not really understanding miguel's numbers on him --- he was due 3m in salary, but he's got him listed for a bunch of guaranteed money I can't figure out
According to Miguel, the Pats have to eat $1.625M in prorated signing bonus money but avoid paying his $3M salary. If they cut him as of today, they would save $825K against the cap. If they designate him as a June cut, they would save $1.625M against the cap. I agree that the math seems off there.

According to Miguel, the Pats have to eat $1.625M in prorated signing bonus money but avoid paying his $3M salary. If they cut him as of today, they would save $825K against the cap. If they designate him as a June cut, they would save $1.625M against the cap. I agree that the math seems off there.
ohhhh nvm I'm an idiot.

I had just kind of assumed this was his final year and overlooked the acceleration of next year's bonus proration.

which makes this even weirder.

I have to assume they just didn't want to pay the 3m salary, I suppose

Think they are gonna convert a couple safeties to cb? We got 5 I think, Wilson, Chung, Mccourty, Harmon and the two guys they drafted actually makes 6.

Think they are gonna convert a couple safeties to cb? We got 5 I think, Wilson, Chung, Mccourty, Harmon and the two guys they drafted actually makes 6.
Not sure who they picked up as UDFA, but . . .Devin McCourty, Patrick Chung, Duron Harmon, Tavon Wilson, Nate Ebner, Jordan Richards, and Dax Swanson are currently listed as safeties.

Man, between the CB situation, QB suspension looming, this is a crappy way to start the year. An old fashioned witch hunt over a QB who like his footballs on the low side of air pressure!

Why do they add Fred Davis? Is Tim Wright on the outs? Chandler?

Man, between the CB situation, QB suspension looming, this is a crappy way to start the year. An old fashioned witch hunt over a QB who like his footballs on the low side of air pressure!

Why do they add Fred Davis? Is Tim Wright on the outs? Chandler?
I think as a camp body, help develop Wright and Derby. He might make the squad but I doubt it.

Users who are viewing this thread