What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (7 Viewers)

I bought a bunch of bone marrow and some steaks the other day. I made bone marrow and spread it on some toasted bread and then I smeared it on the steaks. Oh boy. This is a game changer. It's gonna be hard to go back now. 

Bought an xtra large egg today. Any recommendations on what to list a large egg for? It comes with the nest, plate setter, cast iron grill plate and is in really good condition. I was thinking 500 but not sure if that’s too much. 

Bought an xtra large egg today. Any recommendations on what to list a large egg for? It comes with the nest, plate setter, cast iron grill plate and is in really good condition. I was thinking 500 but not sure if that’s too much. 
When I bought my XL BGE I think I sold my large for $600, but it came with a table and some accessories.  $500 sound like a good starting point, you know people will always try to negotiate.

Turkey was a huge hit.  Brined 24 hrs in Kosher salt and brown sugar.  Rubbed and stuffed with oranges and let sit uncovered in frig overnight.  Smoked at 300 degrees for almost 6 hours, spraying with apple juice about every 30 minutes.
Bumping my own post to get ready for Wednesday. 

I bought a bunch of bone marrow and some steaks the other day. I made bone marrow and spread it on some toasted bread and then I smeared it on the steaks. Oh boy. This is a game changer. It's gonna be hard to go back now. 
How did you buy the marrow? Was it split bones or already scooped out?  

lucky dog.

I have my free range, organic turkey being brined tonight by a local chef and former instructor at L'ecole Culinaire right now. Spiral ham will be picked up today or tomorrow. Both going on the Green Mountain Grill on Thursday. My wife is making mash potatoes and everyone else is bringing the rest. I think we have 26 coming. Basically, I take my bird out of the fridge Thursday morning, and place it on a lipped cookie sheet and put ice bags on the breasts. I let the rest of the bird come up to room temp and the keep the breasts chilled. Then I will be stuffing butter under the skin of the breasts right before I put the turkey on. It should be done well before my guests arrive at which point I wrap in foil and then a towel and drop in a cooler. When everyone arrives, I slice and serve. 

What is everyone else doing for Thanksgrilling?

I have my free range, organic turkey being brined tonight by a local chef and former instructor at L'ecole Culinaire right now. Spiral ham will be picked up today or tomorrow. Both going on the Green Mountain Grill on Thursday. My wife is making mash potatoes and everyone else is bringing the rest. I think we have 26 coming. Basically, I take my bird out of the fridge Thursday morning, and place it on a lipped cookie sheet and put ice bags on the breasts. I let the rest of the bird come up to room temp and the keep the breasts chilled. Then I will be stuffing butter under the skin of the breasts right before I put the turkey on. It should be done well before my guests arrive at which point I wrap in foil and then a towel and drop in a cooler. When everyone arrives, I slice and serve. 

What is everyone else doing for Thanksgrilling?
What temp are you looking at for that bird?

300+?

We're expecting around 15 at my house and I'm changing up a little this year. I'm doing 2 boneless turkey breast, some turkey legs, and some turkey wing all on my WSM. I plan on doing the wing kinda like chicken wings with rub and sauce on them. For the legs I'm going for the state fair style or the Disneyland style and I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to do the breast. I'm not sure if I will brine those since they come in a solution but the Legs and wings will go in a brine tomorrow afternoon. 

Also, I'm gonna do a honey ham on the Weber kettle. I got the ham from Costco. Probably add a little bit of apple wood for this cook. For the rest, I'm in charge of the Mac n Cheese and the sweet potato casserole. The wife is doing collard greens, lima beans, mashed potatoes, creamed corn, crescent rolls, and the sweet tea. My MIL is bringing her dressing and giblet gravy as well as a pecan pie and apple pie. 

I'm also going to bake a lemon pound cake and make my Hershey's Chocolate Cake w/ Cream Cheese frosting and chopped pecans.

Oh, on Saturday I will do a Prime Brisket and some baby backs for the Carolina/Clemson game.

What temp are you looking at for that bird?

300+?

We're expecting around 15 at my house and I'm changing up a little this year. I'm doing 2 boneless turkey breast, some turkey legs, and some turkey wing all on my WSM. I plan on doing the wing kinda like chicken wings with rub and sauce on them. For the legs I'm going for the state fair style or the Disneyland style and I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to do the breast. I'm not sure if I will brine those since they come in a solution but the Legs and wings will go in a brine tomorrow afternoon. 

Also, I'm gonna do a honey ham on the Weber kettle. I got the ham from Costco. Probably add a little bit of apple wood for this cook. For the rest, I'm in charge of the Mac n Cheese and the sweet potato casserole. The wife is doing collard greens, lima beans, mashed potatoes, creamed corn, crescent rolls, and the sweet tea. My MIL is bringing her dressing and giblet gravy as well as a pecan pie and apple pie. 

I'm also going to bake a lemon pound cake and make my Hershey's Chocolate Cake w/ Cream Cheese frosting and chopped pecans.

Oh, on Saturday I will do a Prime Brisket and some baby backs for the Carolina/Clemson game.
I will cook the bird low at first. Maybe 225 then kick it up to 300 or 350. This is something I'm experimenting with so I'll let you know how it comes out. 

Stuff some andouille or chorizo under the skin of the breasts. It's soooooo money. You could also get away with the foil/towel/cooler deal with the breasts. They will stay warm for like 2 hours. 

gents i need a recipe for dry brine for a turkey.

dont have time to buy one so need to make it.  I normally just use kosher salt when dry brining but anything else i should add?  Also how much should i use and how long should i let it brine?  Last time i did 12 hours and it wasn’t enough. 

im thinking my plan is to brine for day 30 hours, rinse then add a low salt rub.

any suggestions to this?  

I'm looking for a wet brine recipe  and instructions for a 23 lb turkey  that'll be cooked in the oven. The families involved are pretty traditional Thanksgiving families, so I'm going to have to smoke a turkey on the Camp Chef some other time to convince them for next year. 

dont have time to buy one so need to make it.  I normally just use kosher salt when dry brining but anything else i should add?  Also how much should i use and how long should i let it brine?  Last time i did 12 hours and it wasn’t enough. 

im thinking my plan is to brine for day 30 hours, rinse then add a low salt rub.

any suggestions to this?  
My go to is 1/2 tsp kosher salt per pound and estimate 48 tsp per cup.  For last year's 24 lb bird I made 

1/4 cup salt,

2T brown sugar

1T fresh cracked black pepper (large grind)

1T garlic granules

I did a small test bird about 4 weeks ago.  Chopped the bird into parts, used the carcass and wings for stock, and dry brined the rest.  Didn't use all the rub I made, but also let it sit48 hours and it was too much.  Also didn't rinse, just rubbed with butter and cooked.  It wasn't so much the salt as the texture.  But I chocked it up to a small bird and lived with it.  the carcass made awesome stock, however.  

In The Zone said:
Will bacon work here? I've got 3 packs in the freezer. The only sausage I have on hand is onion sausage. Hell that might be good. 
If you go that route, I would mince it up real fine. Leaving it whole will make it all rubbery. The other option is to just lay the bacon over the breasts while it cooks and remove it for the last 45-60 minutes to help brown up the skin. 

any suggestions to this?  
I never brine more than 12 hours. Brining too long becomes curing. You want it to still have the consistency of turkey, not ham. 

I never brine more than 12 hours. Brining too long becomes curing. You want it to still have the consistency of turkey, not ham. 
Hmm, I've always done a 18-24 hour brine followed by about 4-6 hours in the fridge air drying. Never had any issues with the consistency of the turkey.

My go to brine is apple cider and salt. That's it. The ratio is 1 gallon of liquid to 1 cup of salt. 
How much would you recommend for a 23lb turkey? And just brine overnight? Do you recommend air drying in the fridge after the brine? 

How much would you recommend for a 23lb turkey? And just brine overnight? Do you recommend air drying in the fridge after the brine? 
I brine overnight and then pat dry. Then later on, season and put on the heat. So yeah let it air dry. 

I'm looking for a wet brine recipe  and instructions for a 23 lb turkey  that'll be cooked in the oven. The families involved are pretty traditional Thanksgiving families, so I'm going to have to smoke a turkey on the Camp Chef some other time to convince them for next year. 

I brine overnight and then pat dry. Then later on, season and put on the heat. So yeah let it air dry. 
Pat dry is the right answer and DON'T RINSE! If you add any more spices to it after brining just don't add additional spice and if you use a mix use one that doesn't have salt.  My normal brine is 1 cup kosher salt and 1 cup granulated white sugar to 1 gallon distilled water. Make enough to submerge the bird. 

$300 and you pay for shipping to Michigan 

@KegsnEggs: Turkeys are won and lost tomorrow. Please, for the sake of all involved, prepare your birds accordingly.

@KegsnEggs: Turkeys are won and lost tomorrow. Please, for the sake of all involved, prepare your birds accordingly.
I brined 6 years in a row but decided last year to inject and I thought it was way better. Kept it to the breast meat and it came out perfect. Will probably never brine again. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I brined 6 years in a row but decided last year to inject and I thought it was way better. Kept it to the breast meat and it came out perfect. Will probably never brine again. 
I do the dry brine and the wet Simon and Garfunkel rub.  I have tried injecting but was unsure how much it helped. I gave up on injecting and didn't notice a difference. 

eta - I'm also doing smaller 14 pound birds so maybe the breasts aren't large enough to dry out as much.

I am smoking for my wife's big family TGiv so put 2 large turkeys in the brine last night.   Same kosher salt and brown sugar as last year.  Will pull them out to dry in the frig tonight then start the smoke tomorrow early.   Spritzing with apple juice often makes it pretty amazing as well.

I feel like a whole lot of people in here need to do some side by side experiments. Without a control group, it is very hard to gauge the impact of these treatments, particularly on a protein that is so mild. I've done dry brine against wet brine and there is no comparison. Injecting vs brining, I haven't done. I need to do that some year. Maybe I'll do it in a week with a couple turkey breasts as they tend to blow those out right after Thanksgiving. 

I’ve got a whole 15 lb Turkey and three 6lb whole boneless skin-on breasts. I’m going to wet brine the whole bird for sure, and cook it in the oven. I’ll likely do two of the breasts on the BGE, and the other in the oven.

Question is what to do to prep the boneless breasts...brine same way and for as long as the whole birds?

I feel like a whole lot of people in here need to do some side by side experiments. Without a control group, it is very hard to gauge the impact of these treatments, particularly on a protein that is so mild. I've done dry brine against wet brine and there is no comparison. Injecting vs brining, I haven't done. I need to do that some year. Maybe I'll do it in a week with a couple turkey breasts as they tend to blow those out right after Thanksgiving. 
Love experiments!   

I’ve got a whole 15 lb Turkey and three 6lb whole boneless skin-on breasts. I’m going to wet brine the whole bird for sure, and cook it in the oven. I’ll likely do two of the breasts on the BGE, and the other in the oven.

Question is what to do to prep the boneless breasts...brine same way and for as long as the whole birds?
If it's one of those round breast made by Butterball or others then there is no need to brine, some simple basting as you smoke will work.

Starting a new tradition this Thanksgiving, Pops wanted to learn how to do Brisket so instead of the Friday Prime rib roast I will be prepping a 20 LB brisket after Thanksgiving dinner and putting it on the smoker overnight, doing burnt ends as well, should be a good Friday late lunch

Pat dry is the right answer and DON'T RINSE! If you add any more spices to it after brining just don't add additional spice and if you use a mix use one that doesn't have salt.  My normal brine is 1 cup kosher salt and 1 cup granulated white sugar to 1 gallon distilled water. Make enough to submerge the bird. 
Why not rinse?

all fresh, both whole bird and breasts, no additives
This is just me but I wouldn't  brine the breast, there really is no need.  You don't have the worry of getting the dark meat (whole bird) to temp so overcooking the breast shouldn't be an issue, get it to where you are comfortable internally (for me that is 150-155), remove and let rest for 30+ minutes before carving

I feel like injecting gets more flavor right to the meat as well. Brining just gives the hint of flavor. But I never disliked my brined birds, just liked injected more and substantially less work. 

I feel like injecting gets more flavor right to the meat as well. Brining just gives the hint of flavor. But I never disliked my brined birds, just liked injected more and substantially less work. 
I'm intrigued. I want to do a side by side. I'm leaning towards you on this one. 

I have 2 boneless skin on turkey breast and I'm not going to brine them since they are in a solution already. I am going to put them on the WSM however. I'm going to hit them with this garlic and herb rub I have and then probably something coarser like Montreal Chicken. I am thinking about going with @TheFanaticsuggestion and lay some bacon over them to prevent them from getting dry. I am thinking about injecting both breast with some garlic butter. Maybe add a little bit of cayenne to it as well. 

TheFanatic said:
I will cook the bird low at first. Maybe 225 then kick it up to 300 or 350. This is something I'm experimenting with so I'll let you know how it comes out. 

Stuff some andouille or chorizo under the skin of the breasts. It's soooooo money. You could also get away with the foil/towel/cooler deal with the breasts. They will stay warm for like 2 hours. 
So I’ve seen a couple different answers in here to the question I have, looking to dial it in. I have a 9.5 bone-in turkey breast. I get that I want to pull it around 160-165 internal temp but approximately, how long am I looking at on a Traeger? Probably smoke at 250 for an hour so then bump to 325 to get skin crispy. 2-3 hours maybe?

So I’ve seen a couple different answers in here to the question I have, looking to dial it in. I have a 9.5 bone-in turkey breast. I get that I want to pull it around 160-165 internal temp but approximately, how long am I looking at on a Traeger? Probably smoke at 250 for an hour so then bump to 325 to get skin crispy. 2-3 hours maybe?
Google a Turkey cooking calculator. You plug in the temp and size and boom. You are set. 

Do you all smoke the turkey in a pan or out of an aluminum pan?  I cannot remember which I did last year.

Question.  I will be smoking tomorrow on an unfamiliar electric smoker.  It has a place for wood chips.  I’m used to using wood chunks when i smoke on the wsm.

my understanding is that the chips need to be refreshed every 30 mins.  But how many times should i refresh the chips?

we are using apple btw.

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread