What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Americas Test Kitchen has seriously elevated my chicken game. Roll the skin back on bone in chicken legs and thighs and salt the meat then roll the skin over where it was before pellet grilling skin side down at 450 for 20 mins then flip and 10-15 mins more til 180 degrees. So good
While you have the skin rolled back, cut out the tendons in the legs. I do this every time I cook chicken legs and it's a game changer.
Do you french them and then pull them out or some other method?
Nope, just pull the skin back, cut the tendons and slide the skin back on.

Like this: https://youtube.com/shorts/4mR5W_AeYOo?si=TJPxRPerouwxD3t5
Thanks. Will do

Salt that meat while you’re in there 😉

any thoughts on electric vs pellet ? I'm kinda liking the east oak pro?
What do electrics use as the smoke source? wood chips? I mean a pellet smoker is basically an electric smoker, in that it uses electricity to light the pellets on fire. I'm assuming that even an "electric" cabinet smoker has to burn some form of wood.

ETA - google tells me it's wood chips. I guess the main difference is that a pellet grill is burning pellets for both smoke AND heat, whereas the electric smoker is heating via electricity and just heating enough wood chips to generate smoke.

Americas Test Kitchen has seriously elevated my chicken game. Roll the skin back on bone in chicken legs and thighs and salt the meat then roll the skin over where it was before pellet grilling skin side down at 450 for 20 mins then flip and 10-15 mins more til 180 degrees. So good
Yeah, been doing this for years. Works great.

Same. Also works very well in an air fryer. Chicken skin bacon 🤌

How much salt are we talking here?

For me I use some kind of BBQ rub. I also use one that is just salt, pepper, and garlic powder. You can really use just about any combo you like.

A good rule of thumb for dry brining meats that aren't super thick is to just salt about the maximum amount you would if applying salt to cooked food. I use kosher because I find the larger granules easier to regulate.

Couple pinches. Like you would season it on your plate

While you have the skin rolled back, cut out the tendons in the legs. I do this every time I cook chicken legs and it's a game changer.
Do you french them and then pull them out or some other method?
Nope, just pull the skin back, cut the tendons and slide the skin back on.

Like this: https://youtube.com/shorts/4mR5W_AeYOo?si=TJPxRPerouwxD3t5
How about a NSFW on that link guy?

actually, that video was perfect. Just the right amount of detail on the un-conventional part of cooking chicken without any lengthy preamble or hyper edited BS that is all the rage on food videos.

Neither.
this was helpful.
To each his own, but I'm glad I moved past thinking pellet and electric smokers were cheating. I got a really good deal on a Traeger but kept my WSM for when I wanted to do more temperature-control smoking. Guess how many times I've used the WSM since then? Hint: it's less than 1.

For me the convenience of a pellet just makes it more enjoyable. But again, to each his own.

My brother-in-law has an vertical electric smoker that I looked down on... that is until I tasted his BBQ from that. The smoke flavor blew me away. Completely changed my opinion on them.

I know the cool thing is to cook with wood logs on a monster smoker like you're Aaron Franklin, and I wish that was me, but the reality is that sometimes convenience is too good to pass up.

Neither.
this was helpful.
To each his own, but I'm glad I moved past thinking pellet and electric smokers were cheating. I got a really good deal on a Traeger but kept my WSM for when I wanted to do more temperature-control smoking. Guess how many times I've used the WSM since then? Hint: it's less than 1.

For me the convenience of a pellet just makes it more enjoyable. But again, to each his own.

My brother-in-law has an vertical electric smoker that I looked down on... that is until I tasted his BBQ from that. The smoke flavor blew me away. Completely changed my opinion on them.

I know the cool thing is to cook with wood logs on a monster smoker like you're Aaron Franklin, and I wish that was me, but the reality is that sometimes convenience is too good to pass up.
Same thing. I bought a pit boss 2 years ago, but much to my wife's disappointment, kept my WSM to "play" with on the weekends when I had more time. I have not used it since. I have done everything including prime rib and brisket on the pit boss. Do I get as good of a smoke ring on the pit boss? No, but it still has plenty flavor and it is so much easier to set the temp, throw the meat on and let it do its thing still putting out a tasty meal. I like my pit boss because I can smoke on it and I can grill on it.

Smoking a chuck roast on the Pitboss tomorrow for the first time. I’m going to make “poor man’s burnt ends”.
I’m following Hey Grill Hey’s recipe

I don’t have her rub or sauce, going with s+p+g and have a bottle of Stubbs spicy which I’ve never tried

For me I use some kind of BBQ rub. I also use one that is just salt, pepper, and garlic powder. You can really use just about any combo you like.
I use this stuff a ton on chicken and veggies

I found a sirloin roast in the freezer yesterday from a cow we had butchered. My plan was to do it low and long like a brisket, but the reading I did was doing it to med rare to rare so that is what I did. It took about 3 1/2 hours. It was a little tough (was expecting that because it was very lean), but had a very nice smoke ring and great flavor and was very juicy. Probably wouldn't buy one at the store but it made a great supper and will probably use the leftovers for some beef tacos.

Smoking a chuck roast on the Pitboss tomorrow for the first time. I’m going to make “poor man’s burnt ends”.
I’m following Hey Grill Hey’s recipe

I don’t have her rub or sauce, going with s+p+g and have a bottle of Stubbs spicy which I’ve never tried
I was very happy with this. Really tender and delicious. Will definitely make again

I opened the Stubbs this morning to taste it and we both hated it. Went with Jim Beam smoky barrel instead. Really good

Instant pot collard greens with smoked turkey tails

So my husband had an electric smoker that died a couple of years ago and our grill is on the way out. His birthday is in a month and I want to get him a nice smoker/grill. I have no idea where to start. Anyone want to share a recommendation? Would like to stay under 800, definitely won't go over 1k.

So my husband had an electric smoker that died a couple of years ago and our grill is on the way out. His birthday is in a month and I want to get him a nice smoker/grill. I have no idea where to start. Anyone want to share a recommendation? Would like to stay under 800, definitely won't go over 1k.
This is what I went with when I Bought my pellet grill: pit boss pro Works great for grilling and smoking. I went with this model because it has a removable burn pot to make emptying ashes a lot easier.

I'm a big fan of Recteq. Great quality. I have a different model but if I was looking for one grill that could smoke and grill and I didn't need something too huge I would go for this:

In my limited research this keeps popping up as the best smoker/grill.

Anyone know anything about it or is anything I should be looking to avoid when buying one? TIA

Not going to lie, but this one looks cheap.

In my limited research this keeps popping up as the best smoker/grill.

Anyone know anything about it or is anything I should be looking to avoid when buying one? TIA

Not going to lie, but this one looks cheap.
I’ve had this one for 2-3 yrs. I love it

My understanding with pit boss is that the make different price point level units. I have no idea what the difference in quality is though. When I was doing my research, the pro series had great reviews and the size I wanted wasn't a lot more so I went with it.

Wife bought me a blackstone grill for my birthday. I haven't done much research on it. I understand you have to season it. Are there any must have accessories that I want to have with the flat top grill. It has a hood if that matters for stuff I should buy for it.

Wife bought me a blackstone grill for my birthday. I haven't done much research on it. I understand you have to season it. Are there any must have accessories that I want to have with the flat top grill. It has a hood if that matters for stuff I should buy for it.

Burger press for smash burgers
Other than that I have a bottle for oil and a few tongs and flippers
Scraper if it doesn’t come with it
Foil grease traps

Burger press for smash burgers
Other than that I have a bottle for oil and a few tongs and flippers
Scraper if it doesn’t come with it
Foil grease traps
Great advice. I'll add: a bottle of CitruSafe cleaner and disposable scrubbies (I clean it after almost every use). And a propane tank adapter to run off a larger tank instead of bottles. Also, the Costco Oriental Frozen Veggies are great for stir fry and Costco also has the BIG box of Kodiak Pancake Mix.

Users who are viewing this thread