What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2013 Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Not sure if it's been posted, but Sam's now has 20 lbs. of lump charcoal for $9.98.

Frontier brand. Picked up a bag, but haven't tried it yet, so I have no idea how good it is. But that's pretty cheap.
I bought a bag of their mesquite lump once. I threw it in a chimney. Once it got a little hot, it started showering sparks like a 4th of July firework. I'm not kidding. It was an amazing light show.

Not sure if it's been posted, but Sam's now has 20 lbs. of lump charcoal for $9.98.

Frontier brand. Picked up a bag, but haven't tried it yet, so I have no idea how good it is. But that's pretty cheap.
I bought a bag of their mesquite lump once. I threw it in a chimney. Once it got a little hot, it started showering sparks like a 4th of July firework. I'm not kidding. It was an amazing light show.
Yep.

I used it for the first time last night. I didn't really believe you, but it was a sight to behold. Sparks going everywhere, and about every 15 seconds a big spark would shoot up about 20 feet into the air.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yep.

I used it for the first time last night. I didn't really believe you, but it was a sight to behold. Sparks going everywhere, and about every 15 seconds a big spark would shoot up about 20 feet into the air.
Home Depot and Lowes have insane pricing on Kingsford every Labor Day and Memorial Day IIRC. I think it's under $10 for 2-pack of 20lb Bags. I bought 160lbs early last year and still have some left.

Yep.

It looks really cool after dark!

One of my friends is having an Winter Olympics opening ceremony party next week, at which everyone is supposed to dress up as a particular country and bring food from that country.

I'm planning on reppin' Jamaica and making some smoked jerk chicken wings. I just ordered some pimento wood (which is from the tree that produces allspice berries and is traditionally used as fuel for cooking jerk chicken in Jamaica), and I think I am also going to order this costume from Amazon.

However, the host of the party is vegetarian and has been asking for some smoked tofu for awhile, so I'm going to try to do some smoked jerk tofu as well. This feels a bit sacrilegious to ask, but does anyone have any experience smoking tofu or any tofu tips that might be helpful?

One of my friends is having an Winter Olympics opening ceremony party next week, at which everyone is supposed to dress up as a particular country and bring food from that country.

I'm planning on reppin' Jamaica and making some smoked jerk chicken wings. I just ordered some pimento wood (which is from the tree that produces allspice berries and is traditionally used as fuel for cooking jerk chicken in Jamaica), and I think I am also going to order this costume from Amazon. Bringing some good weed.
FYP :thumbup:

However, the host of the party is vegetarian and has been asking for some smoked tofu for awhile, so I'm going to try to do some smoked jerk tofu as well. This feels a bit sacrilegious to ask, but does anyone have any experience smoking tofu or any tofu tips that might be helpful?
Tell your gay buddy he's going to have to smoke somebody else's sausage because you're not contaminating your smoker with that crap. I'm sure some other homo will bring a veggie tray. He'll live. Seriously... this party sounds questionable to begin with, but anyone ever asked me to smoke tofu I'd skip the event altogether.

I'm planning on reppin' Jamaica and making some smoked jerk chicken wings. I just ordered some pimento wood (which is from the tree that produces allspice berries and is traditionally used as fuel for cooking jerk chicken in Jamaica), and I think I am also going to order this costume from Amazon. Bringing some good weed.

Tell your gay buddy he's going to have to smoke somebody else's sausage because you're not contaminating your smoker with that crap. I'm sure some other homo will bring a veggie tray. He'll live. Seriously... this party sounds questionable to begin with, but anyone ever asked me to smoke tofu I'd skip the event altogether.
The first part was never in question. It's an essential part of the costume and one of the reasons I jumped on Jamaica (also so I didn't get stuck bringing some sort of salted pickled herring as some Scandinavian country).

With regard to the second part, it is a girl who is hosting the party. I don't generally associate with tofu eaters, but at least half of the woman population of Denver consists of all-organic granola-munching vegan/vegetarians. I'm just trying to broaden my smoking skill set here to please the masses.

The first part was never in question. It's an essential part of the costume and one of the reasons I jumped on Jamaica (also so I didn't get stuck bringing some sort of salted pickled herring as some Scandinavian country).

With regard to the second part, it is a girl who is hosting the party. I don't generally associate with tofu eaters, but at least half of the woman population of Denver consists of all-organic granola-munching vegan/vegetarians. I'm just trying to broaden my smoking skill set here to please the masses.
BBQ Beans are good too

Smoked veggies, Smoked Beans, Smoked Mac & Cheese. Personally I will never prepare tofu on principle... in any form. I think it's garbage and tend despise the people who tend to eat it (more of a correlation than causation).

But I hear ya. Glll!

:lmao: :lmao:

Smoked veggies, Smoked Beans, Smoked Mac & Cheese. Personally I will never prepare tofu on principle... in any form. I think it's garbage and tend despise the people who tend to eat it (more of a correlation than causation).

But I hear ya. Glll!
I agree, Tofu is awful. I cooked it on the grill once for my buddy's wife and she insisted it was really good. I tried it and it was not pleasurable at all. The consistency is not good the taste is not good, the only thing is that it supposedly has nutritional value. I'd rather take a pill for dinner than eat that crap. I can't imagine smoking it.

But I hear ya. Glll!
I agree, Tofu is awful. I cooked it on the grill once for my buddy's wife and she insisted it was really good. I tried it and it was not pleasurable at all. The consistency is not good the taste is not good, the only thing is that it supposedly has nutritional value. I'd rather take a pill for dinner than eat that crap. I can't imagine smoking it.
I've never eaten tofu in my life. I honestly couldn't even tell you what it is if you asked me. But if tofu has any chance of ever being halfway decent, I feel like its best shot is marinated, smoked, and smothered in my homemade jerk sauce.

OK, I have an appetizer for the Super Bowl. My dad made it and it looked pretty good, but I finally made it last night for a live grilling podcast I did.

O M F G!

We call it Pull Apart, Cheesy Bacon Bread. It is so friggin good! I can't even tell you how amazing it was. I'm doing two for the Super Bowl, one for the first half and one for the second. And you can do it in the oven if you want. I just might depending on the weather. Been bitterly cold here for weeks...
Looks tasty! One question... how did you/your guests eat it? Cut off a slice? Break off pieces?

Buckfast 1 said:
southeastjerome said:
[icon] said:

But I hear ya. Glll!
I've never eaten tofu in my life. I honestly couldn't even tell you what it is if you asked me. But if tofu has any chance of ever being halfway decent, I feel like its best shot is marinated, smoked, and smothered in my homemade jerk sauce.
I dont think you want to smoke/grill tofu. Its just gonna dry out. Your best bet is to braise it with some jerk flavored liquid in a foil pan. Ive never had it, but they do this at Chipotle and then shred it into some sort of substance that kinda resembles meat. Not sure how the whole process works, but this is what their website says...

We start with organic tofu from Hodo Soy that we shred and then braise with chipotle chilis, roasted poblanos, and a blend of aromatic spices. The result is a delicious, spicy tofu that will give vegans and carnivores something they both will love.

This subject came up when I was in the company of a local vegan food blogger. I was as disgusted as Icon at the mention. Of course the Vegan goes on about how there are two types of tofu and definitely go for the denser kind or some such. I'm nodding and smiling like I care because she's smokin' hot. But then another female food blogger hears it and walks up and raves about it. She's not the typical female food blogger. She competes with her brother in BBQ comps all the time and I respect her palette. Not enough to actually do this myself yet. But the whore to traffic that I am, I would be willing to bet I would get a ton of traffic from smoked or grilled tofu. I might actually do it just for the traffic. But if it sucks donkey balls, I won't put it on my site.

Is anyone else doing any grilling? It has been so miserably cold that I haven't done much the last few weeks. I have this little travel grill pulled right up to my back door so I can grill steaks. That's it... I need a warm spell and I need it bad. Every morning I wake up to single digits and it's been that way for about a month...

Gonna try pork belly for the first time. Picked up a 5 pounder yesterday... Need to square it off, cut off the rind and dry cure it, so will likely get around to smoking it at the end of next week. Really curious to see how it comes out

First day above 50 in about a month today. Not grilling anything today, but will likely do something tomorrow.

Any one getting the itch with this mini thaw?

Users who are viewing this thread