Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
bryhamm

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread***

1 minute ago, TheFanatic said:

Either method will work. The question you have to ask is, which method gets you the most sleep?

I think this method works best for me and my schedule. I am curious primarily about the storage and preservation of the ham/turkey. Is there a better way to maintain that since I am traveling so far (at least seven hours). 

10 minutes ago, Beef Ravioli said:

I think this method works best for me and my schedule. I am curious primarily about the storage and preservation of the ham/turkey. Is there a better way to maintain that since I am traveling so far (at least seven hours). 

Styrofoam cooler, wrap meat in foil, place in cooler and then cover foil with a bathroom towel, put cooler cover on, should hold for the time you need to travel.  I would not cook the turkey to 160 if you plan to do this, I'd pull at 145-150(breast).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Megla said:

Styrofoam cooler, wrap meat in foil, place in cooler and then cover foil with a bathroom towel, put cooler cover on, should hold for the time you need to travel.  I would not cook the turkey to 160 if you plan to do this, I'd pull at 145-150(breast).

Then refrigerate Wednesday night and warm back up on Thanksgiving morning? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beef Ravioli said:

Then refrigerate Wednesday night and warm back up on Thanksgiving morning? 

My bad, I thought you just wanted to hold the temp for a 7 hour drive, didn't realize you were traveling Wed. 

I don't think it matters how you rest the meat if you are going to be forced to re-heat Thur.  Might as well play it safe and pull at 145 and cool/refrigerate, then re-heat once you get ready to eat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Beef Ravioli said:

How would this timeline work for our Thanksgiving smoking and traveling?

1. Smoke Ham and Turkey breast the day before Thanksgiving on Wednesday morning. 

2. Smoking done at approximately Noon time to early afternoon on Wednesday. Wrap turkey breast and ham into cooler. Begin the 7 hour drive back home. QUESTION: Should I consider not cooking meat to complete temperature since they will be wrapped and placed in cooler? A better way of doing this? 

3. Refrigerate ham and turkey Wednesday night. Warm up late Thursday morning. I will have a traditional oven or a charcoal grill available for warm up. Suggestions? 

Thanks! 

Is this a fresh ham that you are curing and smoking? Or a store bought ham you are reheating over smoke?

22 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

Is this a fresh ham that you are curing and smoking? Or a store bought ham you are reheating over smoke?

Reheating over smoke. 

Refresh my memory here. I have a 9.5lb turkey breast I want to do for Thanksgiving on my Traeger. 1/2 hr per lb? Right around 5 hours, right? Smoke it breast side down or up? About 250°?

TIA

13 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

Refresh my memory here. I have a 9.5lb turkey breast I want to do for Thanksgiving on my Traeger. 1/2 hr per lb? Right around 5 hours, right? Smoke it breast side down or up? About 250°?

TIA

I would probably smoke it on super smoke(if yours has that setting) for a few hours, then bump it to 275-325 to ensure the skin is crispy.  325 is where i would want to be for the last 2 hours ideally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, PinkydaPimp said:

I would probably smoke it on super smoke(if yours has that setting) for a few hours, then bump it to 275-325 to ensure the skin is crispy.  325 is where i would want to be for the last 2 hours ideally.

THIS!

Also, just shoot for way early and wrap in foil and then a towel and toss in a cooler. 

56 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

TIA

That's the timeline most often listed but they are suggesting cooking to an internal of 160-165.  I'd pull at around 150-155 and let sit for at least 30 minutes before slicing and that will be around 3.5-4.0 hours at 250

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheFanatic said:

THIS!

Also, just shoot for way early and wrap in foil and then a towel and toss in a cooler. 

Keep in mind Pinky that if you do what Fanatic said here (which is great to hold it), your skin will NOT remain crispy.  Just an fyi.

3 hours ago, bryhamm said:

Keep in mind Pinky that if you do what Fanatic said here (which is great to hold it), your skin will NOT remain crispy.  Just an fyi.

True. No crispy skin. But warm, juicy turkey. 

On 11/12/2019 at 1:27 PM, Beef Ravioli said:

Reheating over smoke. 

Then I would just do this at your destination with whatever you have at your disposal (Weber kettle, clay pots, whatever) rather than reheating it twice. 

• Thanks 1

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good oil-free air fryer?  Prefer electric vs propane.  Have a 10-13 lb turkey in mind but wife wants something that is multi-functional.  My daughter has one of those drawer air fryers but they don't like it very much.  The clean up mostly and lack of actual cooking space. 

Air fryer/roaster type oven that can go on the counter top.  Thanks in advance.  

1 hour ago, Jayrok said:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good oil-free air fryer?  Prefer electric vs propane.  Have a 10-13 lb turkey in mind but wife wants something that is multi-functional.  My daughter has one of those drawer air fryers but they don't like it very much.  The clean up mostly and lack of actual cooking space. 

Air fryer/roaster type oven that can go on the counter top.  Thanks in advance.  

What did the poor turkey do to deserve that kind of abuse? Or do you have guests coming for dinner that you hate?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

What did the poor turkey do to deserve that kind of abuse? Or do you have guests coming for dinner that you hate?

Well, I've deep fried it the traditional way for years and the bird is always great.  Only bad thing is the clean up, but she wants to see if we can avoid the oil and propane this time.

I don't hate most of the guests come for dinner.  Some but not all.  

• Like 1

I know it’s in this thread somewhere but I doubt I could find it. What type of oven/smoker thermometer do you recommend. Not for the meat temp but the smoker temp? I am concerned my installed thermometer is not accurate. Thanks! 

48 minutes ago, Beef Ravioli said:

I know it’s in this thread somewhere but I doubt I could find it. What type of oven/smoker thermometer do you recommend. Not for the meat temp but the smoker temp? I am concerned my installed thermometer is not accurate. Thanks! 

I use a pit probe on my Fireboard or now the built in probe on the Rec Tec.  My lofi solution for years was a Taylor or Rubbermaid oven thermometer. But don't leave it in over a long smoke or you'll never get the glass clean.

Lofi Thermo

• Thanks 1

On 11/12/2019 at 10:41 AM, Megla said:

Styrofoam cooler, wrap meat in foil, place in cooler and then cover foil with a bathroom towel, put cooler cover on, 

then put that in an insulated wall cooler, but before closing it, wrap in old bed sheets.  After placing the cover on, wrap in fresh flour tortillas and duct tape.  Then, you want to get two of those plastic kiddie pools, put the wrapped cooler in the bottom of one, then lay the other one upside down on top of if.  Fill the inside empty area will that foaming insulation stuff.  You'd be surprised by how much it expands, so you'll only need 8 or 9 cans.  Before it completely expands, be sure to go all the way around and staple the lips of the two pools together.  Once that's done, you'll want to to put the entire thing in the back of a Suburban.  It might be a tight fit, but key here is to force it in there before the foam cures, so that you can still manipulate the pool sandwich.  Once in, fill all empty gaps with down pillows.  Then park the Suburban in a garage and surround with space heaters.  Let that sit for about 4 hours and you should be good.

• Like 2
  • Laughing 4

4 hours ago, shuke said:

then put that in an insulated wall cooler, but before closing it, wrap in old bed sheets.  After placing the cover on, wrap in fresh flour tortillas and duct tape.  Then, you want to get two of those plastic kiddie pools, put the wrapped cooler in the bottom of one, then lay the other one upside down on top of if.  Fill the inside empty area will that foaming insulation stuff.  You'd be surprised by how much it expands, so you'll only need 8 or 9 cans.  Before it completely expands, be sure to go all the way around and staple the lips of the two pools together.  Once that's done, you'll want to to put the entire thing in the back of a Suburban.  It might be a tight fit, but key here is to force it in there before the foam cures, so that you can still manipulate the pool sandwich.  Once in, fill all empty gaps with down pillows.  Then park the Suburban in a garage and surround with space heaters.  Let that sit for about 4 hours and you should be good.

Or just get yourself a Yeti. 

😎

Edited by In The Zone

5 hours ago, shuke said:

Will I need pool noodles? 

• Laughing 1

On 11/14/2019 at 1:45 PM, bryhamm said:

Remove the skin before wrapping and eat it all yourself. Boom.

• Like 1

Just put a belly I've been curing all week on the RecTec.  Using the lowsmoke (180) setting to hopefully take 3-4 hours to get it to 150 and get some really good smoke penetration. The goal is Nueske's level.  Never been able to achieve that with a stick burner or kamado. Also have some chunks of Cheddar, Gouda, and colby/swiss going in the smokebox shortly.

Almost Bacon

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

Just put a belly I've been curing all week on the RecTec.  Using the lowsmoke (180) setting to hopefully take 3-4 hours to get it to 150 and get some really good smoke penetration. The goal is Nueske's level.  Never been able to achieve that with a stick burner or kamado. Also have some chunks of Cheddar, Gouda, and colby/swiss going in the smokebox shortly.

Almost Bacon

Following.

Bacon about halfway done. 120 internal.  I've already had waaaay more smoke exposure than I would have had using previous methods so high hopes.  The cheese is looking great and will pull it soon.

Almost Bacon

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Bacon and Cheese done. Bacon wrapped and will chill out tonight and be portioned and frozen tomorrow with samples contributing to a breakfast of biscuits, bacon, and datil pepper jelly.

Bacon Done

Cheese wrapped and in fridge 2-3 days.

Smoky Cheese

• Like 5

I bought a bunch of bone marrow and some steaks the other day. I made bone marrow and spread it on some toasted bread and then I smeared it on the steaks. Oh boy. This is a game changer. It's gonna be hard to go back now.