What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (3 Viewers)

Hawks64 said:
Stuffed smoked fatties would be awesome. I've made blueberry muffin with maple syrup and corn bread with hot honey. They were gone in less than 5 minutes.
yeah i was going to suggest apple cinnamon stuffed fatties with a maple bourbon glaze.

other option is to make leftover brisket hash. of course you need leftover brisket for that.

yeah i was going to suggest apple cinnamon stuffed fatties with a maple bourbon glaze.

other option is to make leftover brisket hash. of course you need leftover brisket for that.
Ha, I like the idea. 

and

I have a USDA Prime whole packer waiting to be smoked.

:thumbup:

Anyone have one of those rotisseries that you put on top of a Weber Kettle?  Wife is wanting Christmas ideas for me and this is the only thing I can think of.

I'm thinking about trying to do one of these and take it about 2 hours to a party.

Will this work?  Or will it end up a soggy mushy mess?  I have access to an oven at the other end.

https://www.biggreenegg.eu/en/inspiration/recipes/beef-wellington
I'd wrap it very loosely in foil, then stick it in an good, empty ice chest (Yetti is good). Then reheat in a 450 oven. The meat should still be acceptably warm and you'd be reheating/crisping up the crust.

One of my favorite woods is Hackberry
Hackberry is a wood that has some other superpowers too, it works good as a humidor and a teak substitute.  In fact it's usually implicated as counterfeit teak and might actually be superior.

Last edited by a moderator:
shuke said:
Anyone have one of those rotisseries that you put on top of a Weber Kettle?  Wife is wanting Christmas ideas for me and this is the only thing I can think of.
Bump 

shuke said:
I do.  It's great.

I have not had that one. But the one I had was a real pain in the ### to setup, use, and clean, and the end result was not nearly worth the hassle, not in the same league as Costco's.
No idea what you had, but this is the simplest thing to use.  It is a ring that sits on your Weber kettle.  Clean?  Why/how is the ring getting dirty?  The only thing that gets dirty that needs cleaning is the spit and the clamp thingies.

Akorn guys...what are some accessories or things I need to get started off on the right foot?
The smokin' stone is an obvious one. A half moon smokin stone is great too. I got one from a kiln on line store for cheap. Those are the only 2 things I use that didn't come with the basic set up.

The smokin' stone is an obvious one. A half moon smokin stone is great too. I got one from a kiln on line store for cheap. Those are the only 2 things I use that didn't come with the basic set up.
Ive already got my eye on a couple, and Im thinking about one of THESE to replace the cast iron grate, for 2 reasons: One, so I dont have to worry about rust/breakage, and two, for easier charcoal loading. You ever see or use one?

I'm looking to get a gift card from one of the on line butchers.  I know there have been some mentioned in here before, so I was hoping I could get some recommendations.  Any suggestions? 

I'm looking to get a gift card from one of the on line butchers.  I know there have been some mentioned in here before, so I was hoping I could get some recommendations.  Any suggestions? 
Two that come to mind, Master Purveyors provides steaks to all the top steak houses in NY and in lots of other cities. 

Hassell Cattle Company. They use the exact same cows as Snake River Farms, but they are much more reasonable. They call their stuff Blue Collar Wagyu. I got to try their stuff at the World Food Championships in Dallas in October. It was fantastic. 

A third one, I just played around with is Ranchr. They do small batch stuff from sort of boutique ranchers. No big ag. The only downfall is you don't get to pick your cuts. But it also exposes you to more variety that you might normally go for. I had some sirloins from them that were the best I've ever had. No sirloin should ever be that tender and delicious. I was completely floored. Salt, pepper, quick sear for grill marks on both sides, and serve.

Wingnut said:
Ive already got my eye on a couple, and Im thinking about one of THESE to replace the cast iron grate, for 2 reasons: One, so I dont have to worry about rust/breakage, and two, for easier charcoal loading. You ever see or use one?
The cast iron grates will do way better job of putting grill marks on your steaks. If you go that route, buy some Grill Grates to sear steaks on. Or you could order a replacement grill grate from Napoleon. Flip up sides like the one above PLUS it's cast iron.

Two that come to mind, Master Purveyors provides steaks to all the top steak houses in NY and in lots of other cities. 

Hassell Cattle Company. They use the exact same cows as Snake River Farms, but they are much more reasonable. They call their stuff Blue Collar Wagyu. I got to try their stuff at the World Food Championships in Dallas in October. It was fantastic. 

A third one, I just played around with is Ranchr. They do small batch stuff from sort of boutique ranchers. No big ag. The only downfall is you don't get to pick your cuts. But it also exposes you to more variety that you might normally go for. I had some sirloins from them that were the best I've ever had. No sirloin should ever be that tender and delicious. I was completely floored. Salt, pepper, quick sear for grill marks on both sides, and serve.
Awesome.  Thanks!

So I put my AKORN  grill together last night and just finished up a few small tweaks to get her ready to get cookin.

I used lock tite on the hinge bolts (Ive read they tend to work loose), and added a felt gasket behind the bottom vent as well as on the top edge of the bowl where the lid rests. It already has a gasket on the lid, but I wanted a little better seal so now its got 2 gaskets that come together when the lid is closed. I also took the lid latch off and bent it a bit so the latch closes good and tight.

For a diffuser, Im gonna get a smoking stone but for now I picked up a weber 17" grate that rests on the stone tabs, and picked up one of THESE (cast iron) to set on top of the grate, which I can use for searing and dual zone cooking, and I can reverse sear on the lower grate right above the hot coals.

Also, just ordered THIS wireless BT multi probe thermometer that will pair with my cell phone, and I already have a digital instant read probe that I love, its great for checking temps on the fly.

For fire starters, I picked up a bag of large cotton balls, and I have them soaking in denatured alcohol in a glass jar. Using these will cost a fraction of the cost of ones you can buy online.

Any pointers/recommendation on lump charcoal and wood chunks? I cant use the grill til after X-mas, but I wanna fire it up for the initial seasoning/burn off, so I need to go ahead and pick up some fuel.

I cant wait to cook on this grill!!

So I put my AKORN  grill together last night and just finished up a few small tweaks to get her ready to get cookin.

I used lock tite on the hinge bolts (Ive read they tend to work loose), and added a felt gasket behind the bottom vent as well as on the top edge of the bowl where the lid rests. It already has a gasket on the lid, but I wanted a little better seal so now its got 2 gaskets that come together when the lid is closed. I also took the lid latch off and bent it a bit so the latch closes good and tight.

For a diffuser, Im gonna get a smoking stone but for now I picked up a weber 17" grate that rests on the stone tabs, and picked up one of THESE (cast iron) to set on top of the grate, which I can use for searing and dual zone cooking, and I can reverse sear on the lower grate right above the hot coals.

Also, just ordered THIS wireless BT multi probe thermometer that will pair with my cell phone, and I already have a digital instant read probe that I love, its great for checking temps on the fly.

For fire starters, I picked up a bag of large cotton balls, and I have them soaking in denatured alcohol in a glass jar. Using these will cost a fraction of the cost of ones you can buy online.

Any pointers/recommendation on lump charcoal and wood chunks? I cant use the grill til after X-mas, but I wanna fire it up for the initial seasoning/burn off, so I need to go ahead and pick up some fuel.

I cant wait to cook on this grill!!
Rockwood or Fogo charcoal. Those are my go tos.

The absolute best smokewood is this stuff. Buy a bag and then go to a big box store and pick up a bag of the same type of wood and do a side by side. Just looking at the two will show how much better Bob's stuff is. And the fact that they strictly regulate the moisture content of the wood for optimum smoke. Everyone else just chops up wood and throws it in a bag. 

I love the idea of the lower grate. That is something they should look into making for their grills. That's brilliant.

So I am now smoking a Prime Rib for Christmas...thinking I might smoke for 2 hours and then into my sous vide for the rest of the day. Finish in a 500 oven for 30 minutes. Thoughts?

Anyone hear of or use a Flame Boss? Its a little fan/blower that precisely controls temp through the lower vent on kamados, WSMs, etc. Pretty cool.

https://www.flameboss.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OB_cB5OKDQ
I've used a Pitmaster IQ. Alton Brown featured it and I've gotten to know the inventor of it. Pretty good guy. The entire company is pretty much him and his wife and Amazon. It's pretty slick. Set the temp on the device, never worry about it wavering more than a degree or two unless you just totally run out of charcoal. 

So I am now smoking a Prime Rib for Christmas...thinking I might smoke for 2 hours and then into my sous vide for the rest of the day. Finish in a 500 oven for 30 minutes. Thoughts?
Smoking it and sous vide are both ways to slowly bring up the temp. They operate under the same food science. I'm not sure you need to do both. 

Smoking it and sous vide are both ways to slowly bring up the temp. They operate under the same food science. I'm not sure you need to do both. 
I can hold a lot longer in a sous vide at 129 vs smoking at 250, regardless can't sous vide. The rib is too large for the vacuum sealer :lmao:

For 10lb bone in, thinking about 6 hours at 250 to get to 125. That sound about right? Since this isn't high temp food can't really hold for very long like I can with other BBQ right?

For 10lb bone in, thinking about 6 hours at 250 to get to 125. That sound about right? Since this isn't high temp food can't really hold for very long like I can with other BBQ right?
I'm not entirely sure what you are saying here. You could always take this up to 125, wrap in foil, then in a towel and into an empty cooker, then sear off closer to dinner time. 

I'm not entirely sure what you are saying here. You could always take this up to 125, wrap in foil, then in a towel and into an empty cooker, then sear off closer to dinner time. 
I am a little concerned with holding meat at 125/130 for an hour or two like I do with shoulders or brisket. Why I'm trying to nail down the time a bit more accurately.

If you are going to be putting it in the oven anyway, is there a huge difference if it comes off the smoker at 125 or, for example, 95?  If you don't get to 125, just hold in the oven just a little longer.  (allow the oven to settle to 300ish if you're concerned about over searing it). 

You can hold a whole prime rib for a while. Back when I was a line cook, we used to roast our prime rib to rare to med rare, then slap it in a holding oven at 175 degrees (with the oven door slightly cracked), and cut servings off of that for the dinner shift which was about 4 hours (for rare to med rare wed put some hot jus on the plate and sit the cut on top, for med wed dunk it in the jus for 10 sec and splash some on top, for more done wed finish cuts in the oven). The whole rib WILL slowly climb in temp in the holding oven, but if you cook to say 118 or so, you can definitely hold it for a couple of hours without worrying about it overcooking.

Wagyu brisket going on early tomorrow morning.  Will be my first brisket on the RecTec and I'm very excited to not have to tend a fire. It's also raining so no suck of dealing with keeping wood dry, tenting the smoker, getting a good fire going in wet conditions, etc. Trimmed it tonight.  Plan to get up about 3 am, S&P it, let it warm up maybe an hour and have it on by 4 am and back to bed. Glorious.

This brisket started off as 17 pounds, and I took off 2-3 pounds in trimmings.  I am more aggressive with the high prime and wagyu than choice and I'm a little out of practice but here's the trim job.  For those that haven't trimmed a packer before I piled the scraps up next to the brisket for reference.  Yes, those meat pieces to the right are now diced up, salted, and will be fried with eggs and taters in the am.  Never done it before but that meat was too beautifully marbled to throw out. I am a little disappointed in this brisket as the flat is a little thin but good thick flats are hard to come by these days.  The comp guys suck them all down.

Hello, darlin'.

Untrimmed

Trimmed

Brisket wrapped (unwaxed butcher paper) about 2 hours ago and just finished 30 minutes ago.  So 10 hours for a 15ish pound brisket.  And that's at a progressive 180 for 2 hours, 225 for 6 hours, and then 250 for 2 hours. I went up to 250 mainly for the ribs as they weren't pacing well. The brisket could have stayed at 225. But, these Wagyu's definitely cook faster. It's in the holding oven now and the whole house smells beefy and delicious.  I'll try to get some pics when I unwrap and cut it but will be staring down the barrel of a bunch of hungry folks.

Brisket wrapped (unwaxed butcher paper) about 2 hours ago and just finished 30 minutes ago.  So 10 hours for a 15ish pound brisket.  And that's at a progressive 180 for 2 hours, 225 for 6 hours, and then 250 for 2 hours. I went up to 250 mainly for the ribs as they weren't pacing well. The brisket could have stayed at 225. But, these Wagyu's definitely cook faster. It's in the holding oven now and the whole house smells beefy and delicious.  I'll try to get some pics when I unwrap and cut it but will be staring down the barrel of a bunch of hungry folks.
Oh man can’t wait to see the pics.  Those wagyus do finish quicker.  Only had one once and i was shocked at how fast it finished.  

Users who are viewing this thread