What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (6 Viewers)

Well, I've decided to sell my Lang.  If anyone here is interested in carrying the old school BBQ torch, I'll give a special FBG deal.  I'm in Central/east coast Florida and it weighs 700+ pounds so it's only a good deal if you can come get it, otherwise shipping is pretty pricey. I'll PM the ad if anyone is interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
5#'s of Andouille on the smoker.  This is version 3.0.  I changed the grind to 90% 2x course + 10% wagon wheel to get those nice chunks of meat and fat interspersed.  And added more garlic. It's a work in progress but I have high hopes for this version.

Andouille

Short ribs or plate ribs?
It says nowhere on the label what they are other than Beef Ribs.  I am assuming from pictures that they are Plate Ribs.  This will be the 3rd time i have done these.  First time was learning curve, as I needed a longer cook time.  2nd time seemed to hit it right on the head and they pulled apart.  They cut themselves if i looked at them hard enough.  

For the brisket I am just going to use Salt and Pepper as you suggest to get a baseline then adjust to my taste if needed.  I like simple.  In regards to the salt do you prefer, Kosher, Sea Salt, table salt??  I will google but wanted your take as well @Ron Swanson

eta:  found the Franklin recipe and will go with Kosher Salt and fresh ground black pepper in a 50/50 mix

5#'s of Andouille on the smoker.  This is version 3.0.  I changed the grind to 90% 2x course + 10% wagon wheel to get those nice chunks of meat and fat interspersed.  And added more garlic. It's a work in progress but I have high hopes for this version.

Andouille
What recipe did you use? I just got a grinder and want to try my hand at making andouille, hot link, and breakfast but not a ton of recipes that I have found.

Ok...so I've been given the go ahead on a new grill.  There was much talk about them earlier in the thread.  I am wondering if things have changed in a meaningful way in the last year to 18 months.  I think I am going pellet grill (like Traeger)....anything else in this type of grill I should be considering?  Anyone have any new revelations or experiences with these types?

Ok...so I've been given the go ahead on a new grill.  There was much talk about them earlier in the thread.  I am wondering if things have changed in a meaningful way in the last year to 18 months.  I think I am going pellet grill (like Traeger)....anything else in this type of grill I should be considering?  Anyone have any new revelations or experiences with these types?
I've got the Daniel Boone from Green Mountain. It's phenomenal. I have an app on my phone so I can be sitting by the fire while cooking dinner outside. I know exactly what the temp of the grill is and what the temp of the meat as well. I can raise and lower grill temp from the phone. The cooker gets up to 550 so I can do hot and fast too. My only complaint is the grill grates don't give me good grill marks. Luckily, I had a set of Grill Grates (the aluminum kind designed for great grill marks) in the garage. Once I added them to the repertoire, the set up is perfect. 

Did the 3-2-1 method on a couple racks of ribs today.  Turned out great.  225 temp.    Dry rub, spraying every 30 minutes for the first 3 hours.  Pull and wrap for 2 hours, brown sugar, butter, head country bbq sauce.   Pull off aluminum foil and put back on grill for 1 hour painting on bbq sauce after 30 minutes and one final time on final removal from grill.   let rest.   eat.

Great taste with a little tug, great color.  
The 3-2-1 is how I’ve been doing my ribs in my Egg for years now. Won’t cook them any other way.  It’s almost fool proof, they come out perfect every time.  

Did the 3-2-1 method on a couple racks of ribs today.  Turned out great.  225 temp.    Dry rub, spraying every 30 minutes for the first 3 hours.  Pull and wrap for 2 hours, brown sugar, butter, head country bbq sauce.   Pull off aluminum foil and put back on grill for 1 hour painting on bbq sauce after 30 minutes and one final time on final removal from grill.   let rest.   eat.

Great taste with a little tug, great color.  
The 3-2-1 is how I’ve been doing my ribs in my Egg for years now. Won’t cook them any other way.  It’s almost fool proof, they come out perfect every time.  
I'm sure they're great, but you may want to try a quicker cook and see what you think. It's been said many times in this thread, but most of us have had better success shortening the 3-2 to something like 2.5-1.5 or even less if you're doing baby backs. It'll have better bite (as opposed to fall off the bone) and be less like crock pot ribs (not saying 3-2-1 is crock pot, but the consistency is more to that end). Just a suggestion.

Maybe smoke two racks, one each way. I'd like to hear your results.

I have the Traeger Select Pro TFS81. I like it a lot, but if I had to do it over I would go with either a Camp Chef with a side burner or a Green Mountain like Fanatic suggested. I've eaten cooks of both and found they had a better smoke flavor. Though that's the only knock I have on my grill; other than that it has been fantastic. I end up using an Amazetube to add more smoke flavor, but that's a pain in the butt. 

Get you a Gateway Drum Smoker!  Speed up your cooks and make your backyard/porch look cool doing so.  YouTube (in addition to all the knowledgeable posters here) is your friend.  I watched tons of videos of reviews and how-to’s for plethora of smokers before settling on my choice

If I had to do it all over again I'd likely go Rec Tec RT-700. I know so many people who have them and love them...even our own @Ron Swanson converted to it from a stick burning Lang. I have a Louisiana Grill (really like it) and a Camp Chef (really like it) but prefer the Camp Chef for ease of ash clean out, there is a removeable cup that you can empty the fire pot into with a gate slide.

If I had to do it all over again I'd likely go Rec Tec RT-700. I know so many people who have them and love them...even our own @Ron Swanson converted to it from a stick burning Lang. I have a Louisiana Grill (really like it) and a Camp Chef (really like it) but prefer the Camp Chef for ease of ash clean out, there is a removeable cup that you can empty the fire pot into with a gate slide.
I have the Rec Tec 700 and love it.   It is so easy.   Holds up to 40lbs of pellets.  Large enough to feed an army.   You can even buy the aftermarket rack to have two layers.   Wifi.  Turn on from anywhere.      I don't have a single complaint. 

Rec Tec makes a smoker you can attach as well to smoke cheese, make jerky, and whatever you want to cold smoke.    I haven't tried that yet since I am still eating ribs, brisket, chicken, bologna, pork loin and whatever else I can think of throwing on it.

I'm sure they're great, but you may want to try a quicker cook and see what you think. It's been said many times in this thread, but most of us have had better success shortening the 3-2 to something like 2.5-1.5 or even less if you're doing baby backs. It'll have better bite (as opposed to fall off the bone) and be less like crock pot ribs (not saying 3-2-1 is crock pot, but the consistency is more to that end). Just a suggestion.

Maybe smoke two racks, one each way. I'd like to hear your results.
Thanks for the suggestions, I hear what you’re saying and have tried.  My wife and I tend to like the fall off the bone style a bit better.   

Thanks for the suggestions...I have a Weber 22 that I do my smoking on, though I am not opposed to trying to smoke on the grill I get...it's just not going to be my primary reason for use.  I'll check these others out.  It's been a while since I looked, so it seems I need to look again.  I have a starting place now  :thumbup:  

Thanks for the suggestions...I have a Weber 22 that I do my smoking on, though I am not opposed to trying to smoke on the grill I get...it's just not going to be my primary reason for use.  I'll check these others out.  It's been a while since I looked, so it seems I need to look again.  I have a starting place now  :thumbup:  
I strongly recommend the Rec-Tec RT-700 "The Bull". Great, consistent smoke flavor, holds temp perfectly at low and high settings, and high build quality.  Lots of stainless and powder coated parts.  Even the fasteners are good quality.  I think to get any nicer you have to jump up into the 3-4k price range.  If you want to see one in person, come over to NSB.  Ahem, I mean, you should buy my Lang.

What recipe did you use? I just got a grinder and want to try my hand at making andouille, hot link, and breakfast but not a ton of recipes that I have found.
@Hawks64 Here's the Andouille recipe I've been working on.  I might go bigger on the chunk part and up the % next time. This recipe has mild jalapeno heat level.  Adjust the cayenne and crushed red pepper to your tastes.

Ron Swanson's World Famous Andouille v3.0

5#’s Pork Butt ground (90% 2x course, 10% very course - triangle blade)

1/2 cup garlic, minced

2 tablespoons kosher salt

1 tablespoon paprika

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 teaspoon crushed Bay Leaf

1 teaspoon crushed red pepper

½ teaspoon thyme

¼ teaspoon dried sage

Case in natural hog casings. (Soak for several days and rinse thoroughly).

##### casing. This prevents ruptures.

Smoke @180 ramp to 225 if needed until internal temp 157. 

Serve OR

Plunge cool in ice bath for 30 minutes or until temp goes below 100. This limits skin wrinkling.

Vacuum seal and freeze.

I strongly recommend the Rec-Tec RT-700 "The Bull". Great, consistent smoke flavor, holds temp perfectly at low and high settings, and high build quality.  Lots of stainless and powder coated parts.  Even the fasteners are good quality.  I think to get any nicer you have to jump up into the 3-4k price range.  If you want to see one in person, come over to NSB.  Ahem, I mean, you should buy my Lang.
Where do you get pellets for it?  Would any wood pellets work or do they have to be specific ones?

Where do you get pellets for it?  Would any wood pellets work or do they have to be specific ones?
I bought mine with a package of 400 pounds of pellets.  Still working my way through those.  They are Ultimate Blend from Rec Tec.  I'll probably stick with them as long as they are priced reasonably.  Great smoke flavor and they burn real clean.  There is a store here in town that sells a bunch of different varieties as well.

Ron Swanson said:
I bought mine with a package of 400 pounds of pellets.  Still working my way through those.  They are Ultimate Blend from Rec Tec.  I'll probably stick with them as long as they are priced reasonably.  Great smoke flavor and they burn real clean.  There is a store here in town that sells a bunch of different varieties as well.
What are your thoughts on that smokey flavor being more about the pellets than the grill?  Wondering if they are just better pellets :oldunsure:  Nothing stopping me from coming for a visit to NSB to load up on pellets from time to time, but I'm not sure there are any places around here selling them.  I'll have to be more observant.  

What are your thoughts on that smokey flavor being more about the pellets than the grill?  Wondering if they are just better pellets :oldunsure:  Nothing stopping me from coming for a visit to NSB to load up on pellets from time to time, but I'm not sure there are any places around here selling them.  I'll have to be more observant.  
I don't really have a frame of reference for that.  All I know is that with the Rec-Tec 700 and their Ultimate pellets I get great smoky flavor that is more consistent than my stick burner. My wife claims it is much better smoke flavor. I'm not willing to go that far but it is more consistent. I haven't used any other pellets or pellet grills to judge. I wouldn't worry about having to get pellets locally. There are a ton of different options online. Most brands ship.  Amazon is loaded with choices. Most all of them cost about $1 per pound and 1 pound of a good pellet gives you roughly 1 hour of cooking time.  Cheaper than just about any other form of fuel by way of efficiency.

I will say that I think one of the reasons the Rec-Tec puts out such good smoke flavor is that it has an "Extreme Smoke" setting that holds temp at 180 very consistently and puts out a lot of clean smoke.  I thought it was a gimmick but it actually works quite well.  I start almost every smoke with 30-60 minutes at that setting and then ramp up. The Andouille I pictured above I did almost the whole way at 180 until then end when I need to speed up the process to go catch a flight.  They were on for 2.5 hours at 180 and then 30 minutes at 225.

The Commish said:
I have been using CookinPellets Perfect Mix (Hickory, Cherry, Apple and Maple), get a 40lb bag for 40 on Amazon. These also burn clean.

It's a lot of this and a bit of what Ron said. If you have a low smoke setting or high smoke setting those will typically be sub 200 and put out more smoke. However, the pellets make a huge difference. I've tried a few different Lumberjack pellets, Traeger, CookinPellets and one other that I can't recall. So far I think CookinPellets work the best for me.

I don't really have a frame of reference for that.  All I know is that with the Rec-Tec 700 and their Ultimate pellets I get great smoky flavor that is more consistent than my stick burner. My wife claims it is much better smoke flavor. I'm not willing to go that far but it is more consistent. I haven't used any other pellets or pellet grills to judge. I wouldn't worry about having to get pellets locally. There are a ton of different options online. Most brands ship.  Amazon is loaded with choices. Most all of them cost about $1 per pound and 1 pound of a good pellet gives you roughly 1 hour of cooking time.  Cheaper than just about any other form of fuel by way of efficiency.
:thumbup:

How do you like it as a grill?  To me, there is very little better than a isteak, chicken breast, you name it cooked with an italian profile and that hint of "wood fired" smoke flavor.

It's a lot of this and a bit of what Ron said. If you have a low smoke setting or high smoke setting those will typically be sub 200 and put out more smoke. However, the pellets make a huge difference. I've tried a few different Lumberjack pellets, Traeger, CookinPellets and one other that I can't recall. So far I think CookinPellets work the best for me.

I am assuming that all the pellet grills can handle any of the different brands of pellets by now, correct?

:thumbup:

How do you like it as a grill?  To me, there is very little better than a isteak, chicken breast, you name it cooked with an italian profile and that hint of "wood fired" smoke flavor.
I've never used it that way.  I normally sous vide my steaks and sear them on an infrared grill burner on my NG grill.  I never cook chicken breast (wife hates them).  I have used the sear plates and cooked burgers on it and it did OK, but I really like to cook my burgers up at 700 degrees hot and fast so I prefer my NG grill for that.  The pellet maxes out at about 500. I have grilled shrimp and chicken thighs/legs on it and they turned out great with that slightly smoky wood oven flavor.

I hear these are the best, but I haven't tried them yet. Once my current supply gets low I'm going to order a few different kinds off Amazon. 

I hear these are the best, but I haven't tried them yet. Once my current supply gets low I'm going to order a few different kinds off Amazon. 
Had some issues where a few bags didn't burn really clean with high ash output so I switched to CookinPellets. I did really like the smoke from the LumberJack though.

@Ron Swanson I am headed to work 11-5pm today and we are cooking a 5 lb Bone In Rib Roast on our traeger.  My wife will be the one putting in on the Traeger.  What temp and how long would you think to cook it?  We like it cooked to about Medium or just a bit over medium.  We will let it rest afterwards as well. 

My plan is 250, we are in a cooler environment, so i am thinking 3-4 hours with temp checking at the 3 hour mark.  Pull it off in the 135-140 range and let it rest up to our desired temp.

thanks

@Ron Swanson I am headed to work 11-5pm today and we are cooking a 5 lb Bone In Rib Roast on our traeger.  My wife will be the one putting in on the Traeger.  What temp and how long would you think to cook it?  We like it cooked to about Medium or just a bit over medium.  We will let it rest afterwards as well. 

My plan is 250, we are in a cooler environment, so i am thinking 3-4 hours with temp checking at the 3 hour mark.  Pull it off in the 135-140 range and let it rest up to our desired temp.

thanks
I think you're about on target.  30 minutes per pound to get it to 120 is about normal but you want to go a little higher than that to medium/medium well so add a bit more time. I might recommend that you pull it about 10 degrees from finished and char it over very high heat (direct charcoal, super hot cast iron, etc.). I prefer charring it afterwards since raw meat takes smoke better.  I think charring it first limits the smoke penetration.  If you're using cast iron, heat it up in the oven first as hot as the oven will go, then put it over your Hottest burner while searing.  Welder's gloves come in handy here and don't forget the crank up your exhaust hood and open a window!

If you have time and the Traeger has the setting you may want to start the smoke much lower for the first hour to produce more smoke...like 180-225 and then ramp to 250.

I found a local dealer who sells me 40lb bags of Smoke Ring BBQ Pellets for between $20 and $25.

https://www.smokeringbbqpellets.com/

Just make sure they are 100% the wood they claim to be and without filler wood. 

Other brands tend to get ashy from what I read prior to deciding on these.

I think one of the best meat bargains other than pork butt are chicken thighs.  I like to pick them up on sale cheap, dry brine and smoke them.  I then pull the meat off the bone and skin, chop it and package it in 1# packages for the freezer.  It's great to have it on hand for a quick salad, hash, or any number of dishes. Throw it in the sous vide to reheat and its ready. And as a bonus, make stock out of the bones!

Brined and On - Smoked at 180 for an hour, ramped to 225, then 250. About three hours to get to 180.

Finished

Chopped and Packaged

Ok, so question that is probably only relevant to Florida but with these pellet grills, what happens when the power goes out?  I assume these augers are driven by motors that can't be powered by battery so I assume you have to plug them in.  What happens when there is no power?

Ok, so question that is probably only relevant to Florida but with these pellet grills, what happens when the power goes out?  I assume these augers are driven by motors that can't be powered by battery so I assume you have to plug them in.  What happens when there is no power?
Pellet grills don't work when the power goes out. Pick up a used weber off Craigslist for when that happens. 

Ron Swanson said:
I think one of the best meat bargains other than pork butt are chicken thighs.  I like to pick them up on sale cheap, dry brine and smoke them.  I then pull the meat off the bone and skin, chop it and package it in 1# packages for the freezer.  It's great to have it on hand for a quick salad, hash, or any number of dishes. Throw it in the sous vide to reheat and its ready. And as a bonus, make stock out of the bones!

Brined and On - Smoked at 180 for an hour, ramped to 225, then 250. About three hours to get to 180.

Finished

Chopped and Packaged
Those look good. Do you do anything to dry out the skin before you smoke them? I know people who put them on a rack in the fridge for 24 hours but with a toddler I don’t have the room. 

Those look good. Do you do anything to dry out the skin before you smoke them? I know people who put them on a rack in the fridge for 24 hours but with a toddler I don’t have the room. 
I've heard of people putting a light dusting of corn starch on wings to make them crispy on the smoker with positive results.

I've heard of people putting a light dusting of corn starch on wings to make them crispy on the smoker with positive results.
I was thinking the same thing... I wonder what thighs would be like with some corn starch on them.

I just tried this on Sunday with wings... kind of modeled what Malcolm Reed did a few months ago in his corn starch vs  just rub side by side video. My results were mixed. The wings definitely had that restaurant style wing coating, which I prefer, but the corn starch didn't fully cook through. So many of the wings had a slightly weird texture and somewhat disappointing flavor. But they were cooked perfectly and had a great smoke flavor. I'm going to try again on Sunday and slightly overcook the wings to fully cook the corn starch. We'll see.

No, but when I dry brine the thighs I peel back the skins and salt the meat directly.  Then I replace the skin for smoking.  When I pull and chop the meat I do not include the skin.  I still get plenty of great smoke flavor and the skin stops the meat from drying out. I'll sometimes throw a little skin in when I make broth to give it some smoky flavor.

Pellet grills don't work when the power goes out. Pick up a used weber off Craigslist for when that happens. 
Thanks....I have solar plugs I could plug it into if necessary, also have a generator.  It's just now, it'll be another thing I need to account for if we ever lose power from hurricanes etc.  Not a big deal.  I was going to see if I could replace both my gas grill and smoker with one of these things, but it might be best just to hold on to the smoker.  

Thanks....I have solar plugs I could plug it into if necessary, also have a generator.  It's just now, it'll be another thing I need to account for if we ever lose power from hurricanes etc.  Not a big deal.  I was going to see if I could replace both my gas grill and smoker with one of these things, but it might be best just to hold on to the smoker.  
I have one of those batteries that can be plugged into a solar panel. It has a standard outlet so I can plug mine in should the power go out. 

Users who are viewing this thread