What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** Prospects and Mid-Season Callup Thread (3 Viewers)

Has the Moniak star faded so much you wouldn't even keep him in a 14 team, keep 8 prospects, league?  He was just dropped and the reports I'm seeing are not that kind to him.

Has the Moniak star faded so much you wouldn't even keep him in a 14 team, keep 8 prospects, league?  He was just dropped and the reports I'm seeing are not that kind to him.
Fun with arbitrary end points - he's hitting 286/375 with 3 HR, 9 XBH, 11BB, and 16 K  since July 4th.  He didn't exactly earn his promotion to High A this year, so perhaps his bad start was justifiable. That said, I'm in a 12 team keep 15 prospects league and I wouldn't drop any of my guys for him right now.

Fun with arbitrary end points - he's hitting 286/375 with 3 HR, 9 XBH, 11BB, and 16 K  since July 4th.  He didn't exactly earn his promotion to High A this year, so perhaps his bad start was justifiable. That said, I'm in a 12 team keep 15 prospects league and I wouldn't drop any of my guys for him right now.
His ETA is probably 2021.  A lot can happen in that time; he's 20 years old and still has the tools that made him a 1.01 pick.

He hasn't shown much fantasy potential though.  He's been a FA in Serious Biz for most of this season.

The Yankees are calling up Chance Adams to start the Saturday game against the Red Sox.  That opponent in Fenway is a very tough matchup.

Adams has regressed in AAA after putting up stellar numbers in lower leagues.  This year has been particularly bad as he's worked his way back from off-season surgery to remove bone spurs.  His AAA performances had been on the upswing in recent months but he had short outings two out of his last three times out.

Anaheim's Jo Adell hurt both legs running the bases.  He'll miss 10-12 weeks. 

He's still at least a year away but a good year at AA would make the case for sooner.

Eephus said:
Anaheim's Jo Adell hurt both legs running the bases.  He'll miss 10-12 weeks. 

He's still at least a year away but a good year at AA would make the case for sooner.
Somewhere, Masahiro Tanaka is laughing right now.

Doctor Detroit said:
I own ZERO shares, but as a baseball nerd I :wub:  Padres having Tatis Jr on the big club out of the gate!!!
I wonder where ticket sales are this year compared to the past.  Lotta excitement for those fans all of a sudden.

Doctor Detroit said:
I own ZERO shares, but as a baseball nerd I :wub:  Padres having Tatis Jr on the big club out of the gate!!!
Good for baseball. Bad for Padres. I wouldnt be happy as a fan. Send him down for 2 weeks like every other team and get an extra year of control. The system is broke, but you still need to play the game. 

Good for baseball. Bad for Padres. I wouldnt be happy as a fan. Send him down for 2 weeks like every other team and get an extra year of control. The system is broke, but you still need to play the game. 
To play the role of contrarian - players are certainly taking notice of this move.  That the Padres are demonstrating decision making based on what gives the Padres the best chance to win.  If you ball then they will play you - they're not going to play games to save a few bucks. 

Now if he shows he isn't ready or it impacts decision making down the road then I think getting upset about it is justifiable.  But based on what I read about the Padres books, recent activity, and plan going forward earlier this offseason I don't think finances are a concern - short and long term.

They can still send him down for 2 weeks during the season  and still keep control 

To play the role of contrarian - players are certainly taking notice of this move.  That the Padres are demonstrating decision making based on what gives the Padres the best chance to win.  If you ball then they will play you - they're not going to play games to save a few bucks. 

Now if he shows he isn't ready or it impacts decision making down the road then I think getting upset about it is justifiable.  But based on what I read about the Padres books, recent activity, and plan going forward earlier this offseason I don't think finances are a concern - short and long term.
Well you can't control who drafts you, so who cares? Free agents are just following the money anyway. 

They can still send him down for 2 weeks during the season  and still keep control 
Much easier (less controversial) to do it now. You're gonna face an even bigger ####-storm if you send him down mid-season (unless he tanks completely).

There are also players currently in that clubhouse.
I get what you're saying. Good move from a baseball/morale standpoint. Bad move from a business/future standpoint. As a fan, I prefer economically motivated moves over emotionally motivated ones. Most fans probably dont though. 

Chances are that the two weeks won't matter in the long run.  San Diego will sign Tatis to an extension covering his arbitration years and/or the next CBA will alter arbitration eligibility rules to eliminate the Super Twos.

I get what you're saying. Good move from a baseball/morale standpoint. Bad move from a business/future standpoint. As a fan, I prefer economically motivated moves over emotionally motivated ones. Most fans probably dont though. 
The Padres are the only game in town now in San Diego.  I see this as an economically motivated move.  Play the card now to win fan support and drive up attendance to your beautiful ballpark.  Try and corner the market in San Diego and build a fan base that will have sustained attendance for years.  Who cares about 2025 (which will be played under a completely different CBA) when you can act now to garner fan support.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Padres are the only game in town now in San Diego.  I see this as an economically motivated move.  Play the card now to win fan support and drive up attendance to your beautiful ballpark.  Try and corner the market in San Diego and build a fan base that will have sustained attendance for years.  Who cares about 2025 (which will be played under a completely different CBA) when you can strike now to garner fan support.
Please don't use CBA and strike in the same sentence for this season at least.

Chances are that the two weeks won't matter in the long run.  San Diego will sign Tatis to an extension covering his arbitration years and/or the next CBA will alter arbitration eligibility rules to eliminate the Super Twos.
Yeah but they'll still be paying a price for that extra year, even if they buy it out. Unless they already know something about the new CBA, I still think its a bad business decision.

The Padres are the only game in town now in San Diego.  I see this as an economically motivated move.  Play the card now to win fan support and drive up attendance to your beautiful ballpark.  Try and corner the market in San Diego and build a fan base that will have sustained attendance for years.  Who cares about 2025 (which will be played under a completely different CBA) when you can act now to garner fan support.
Is a couple weeks really buying you that much?

I guess if you couple this with @MAC_32's theory of appeasing the other players in the organization, it could make some sense. Maybe they got tired of seeing agents (Senzel) #####ing in the media about the arbitration clock? Maybe they're sick of seeing players (Thor) creating animosity within the organization to get his teammate paid? Maybe they're really just trying to keep things all super-positive and rosey out there? Maybe some Harvard grad created an algorithm showing how all this good juju is more valuable than the extra year?

Tatis crushed one to dead center and missed a homer by about a foot.  It would have been gone in the daytime.

The Pillar trade clears room for Anthony Alford.  He's always been a toolsy prospect who came to baseball late after a college football career.  His baseball development has been interrupted by a bunch of injuries so his minor league stats fail the eye test.  But he supposedly looked great in spring training and Toronto is all in on their rebuild.

The Pillar trade clears room for Anthony Alford.  He's always been a toolsy prospect who came to baseball late after a college football career.  His baseball development has been interrupted by a bunch of injuries so his minor league stats fail the eye test.  But he supposedly looked great in spring training and Toronto is all in on their rebuild.
Brito just got moved there too.  He's been on the DFA merry-go-round for a couple weeks, but there's a path for him here.

Fat Drunk and Stupid said:
Hopefully he can out produce Kinsler's OPS+ of 38.
Preller had no idea they'd get Machado later but giving 2/$8M for Kinsler's age 36 and 37 years looks bad in retrospect.   Kinsler brings his glove to work so he's got a solid floor.(unless his OPS+ stays at 38).  There's no obvious

I went to a  Giants-Padres game the other night.  Tatis is a big kid.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the OF next year if Kinsler and Urias are still around.  Of course the Padres have a surplus of OF too.

Red Sox promote IF Michael Chavis to replace the lifeless bodies of Pedroia and Nunez.

Chavis missed most of last season due to a PED suspension so he has a limited recent resume and under 100 AAA PAs.  He's hit for some power in the minors but with a 25% strikeout rate.  There's no speed to speak of and some question if his glove will work at 2B.

Users who are viewing this thread