What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Odell Beckham, Jr., BAL (6 Viewers)

He a top 5 pick next year and not too far a stretch to say the #1 pick . Dude puts up 30 points a week. The way I got burned the last 2 few years by running backs like McCoy etc maybe its a safe play.
You guys are nuts. We see this every year. An unknown or young guy comes out of nowhere and impresses big. But this league adapts quickly. He may be a legit top 20 wr in the league going forward but you guys are piling up the hype way too far.

6 months ago, we would say the same about Gordon. A couple of years ago it was Cruz and nicks.

It's been a great run and he's good, maybe great, but you are setting yourself up for nothing but a letdown if you keep up with all this talk at this level
:goodposting:

People definitely need some perspective. It's getting a little silly.

Advice for the Eagles Cornerbacks for Week 17; don't show up. Go on Injured Reserve.

ODB may go for 300 yards next week!!
As an Eagles fan, who works late at night Saturday, I am already coming up with excuses to stay in bed at 1 p.m. next week.
My pants get tight at the thought of Eagles being stupid enough to allow Bradley Fletcher to ever be one-on-one against ODB.

He a top 5 pick next year and not too far a stretch to say the #1 pick . Dude puts up 30 points a week. The way I got burned the last 2 few years by running backs like McCoy etc maybe its a safe play.
You guys are nuts. We see this every year. An unknown or young guy comes out of nowhere and impresses big. But this league adapts quickly. He may be a legit top 20 wr in the league going forward but you guys are piling up the hype way too far.

6 months ago, we would say the same about Gordon. A couple of years ago it was Cruz and nicks.

It's been a great run and he's good, maybe great, but you are setting yourself up for nothing but a letdown if you keep up with all this talk at this level
Can certainly have your opinion but couldn't disagree more. This kids going to be a star. He already is.
I agree. If he was just making circus catches that would be one thing. If he was only catching short slot passes and just out running defenses it would be one thing. If he was just a deep threat it would be one thing. If he was just a great route runner it would just be one thing. He's elite at every aspect of being a WR. Do we expect him to go over 100 yards and multiple TD's every game for the rest of his career? Obviously not. Will he lead the league in receiving multiple years in his career? Very likely.

This isn't Peyton or Brees finding a new toy. This is Eli Manning and a struggling Giants offense that he is producing with. He is wide open all the time no matter the route they have him running. And if he's covered well for a jump ball...he wins it too. I just don't see any way that he's not a top 5 WR barring injury pretty much every year going forward.

I don't think it's far fetched to say that he is the most well rounded WR in the NFL right now.
Well said and as a Cowboys fan I hate to agree with you. I'm sure I will hate him much more.

No we don't.

No we don't.
Yup. We don't. This guy is different.

Not really people are just fired up because he won a lot of people a lot of money with his performance these past 2 weeks.

Advice for the Eagles Cornerbacks for Week 17; don't show up. Go on Injured Reserve.

As an Eagles fan, who works late at night Saturday, I am already coming up with excuses to stay in bed at 1 p.m. next week.
My pants get tight at the thought of Eagles being stupid enough to allow Bradley Fletcher to ever be one-on-one against ODB.
I will have ODB and probably Eli on my daily leagues next week for sure.

It's not getting silly. It's about seeing talent. This guy can do it all. He really has no weakness.

Top-end speed? Check. Probably one of the fastest WR's in the game.

Ability to get off the line? Check. Almost unguardable off the line. So fast and quick.

Route Running? Check. Great route runner and he's a rookie

Hands? Check. Best hands in the NFL already.

He's a stud, bottom line.

Is his production going to happen no matter what? Of course not. Eli could get hurt in game one next year, and he could struggle all year long. Or Cruz could come back, the Giants could draft more talent, and he could see his numbers decrease as a result of there being too many options.

But in terms of sheer talent, he's jaw droppingly good. As a rookie.

Also...we are now at the point where he hasn't had a single bad game yet as a starter. Not one. He's dominated every single week. As a rookie.

Unbelievable.

bweiser said:
cubbie5150 said:
bweiser said:
dcgangstas said:

I will have ODB and probably Eli on my daily leagues next week for sure.
i did this week and it's looking like I'm cashing in just under a g. Definitely the best week I've had in the dailies. Oh and I won my keeper league on the back of ODB. So excited to own this guy.

Considering all the early round RB busts, it's not crazy to take him late 1st/early 2nd IMO. And you'll have to if you want him on your team. Imagine what his hype will be next August.

And you guys know I'm not one for hyperbole or getting overly excited. ODB literally gives me wood. I haven't felt this way since I owned Tomlinson.

Considering all the early round RB busts, it's not crazy to take him late 1st/early 2nd IMO. And you'll have to if you want him on your team. Imagine what his hype will be next August.
If you are hoping to get him late in the first, or early 2nd you need to hope he has a minor injury in training camp.

dude caught 79/109 for 72% as a rookie, and that's not all slot stuff -- some of those are down the field circus catches.

where does he slot in on the redraft wr short list next year?

dude's basically putting up antonio brown numbers, and brown's the top ppr guy

72%, 14 y/r, 102 y/g !!, 11 td (11g) pending final week -- that's comparable to calvin johnson's best year

here are the top rookies in catch % on 100+ targets

ed royal - 70% 11 y/r, 65 y/g, 5 td (15g)

keenan allen - 68% 15 y/r, 70 y/g, 8 td (15g)

mike clayton - 66% 15 y/r, 75 y/g, 7 td (16g)

kendall wright - 62% 10 y/r, 42 y/g, 4 td (15g)

a boldin - 61% 14 y/r, 86 y/g, 8 td (16g)

m colston - 61% 15 y/r, 74 y/g, 8 td (14g)

d bowe - 60% 14 y/r, 62 y/h. 5 td (16g)

looks like there have been about 20 wr seasons at 70+% catches on 100+ targets, with 5 of them happening this year

as of last week:

a brown 72%

sanders 71%

g tate 71%

cobb 70%

shadyridr said:
How come people didnt see this coming out of college?
Exactly what I want to know. And he's doing all this with no offseason, no preseason, etc.

How do we make sure we don't miss out on the "next ODB"?

He was productive, he had his fans, he made ridiculous catches and put up a nice combine.

But he struggled vs. the SEC and had doubters as well. There were some (not many) who thought Landry was better.

Most people had this guy 3rd, 4th, or later behind Watkins, Evans, Cooks, etc.

How? He's clearly a stud.

shadyridr said:
Exactly what I want to know. And he's doing all this with no offseason, no preseason, etc.

He was productive, he had his fans, he made ridiculous catches and put up a nice combine.

But he struggled vs. the SEC and had doubters as well. There were some (not many) who thought Landry was better.

Game speeds up, intelligence reeks. This guy sat down in a double-team against Dallas back about however many weeks ago and I couldn't part with him. It was just too much recognition on his end. One could tell by watching it that this was special.

I have no answer for your question about scouting and college, though.

shadyridr said:

Game speeds up, intelligence reeks. This guy sat down in a double-team against Dallas back about however many weeks ago and I couldn't part with him. It was just too much recognition on his end. One could tell by watching it that this was special.

This guy has just dominated from the first snap of his career.

Usually the guys who aren't seen as total stud prospects take some development. That's the confusing part.

He had the production, the highlights, the measurables, the pedigree.

But very few people fell in love with him as a prospect the way they did with Watkins/Evans and even Cooks.

Watkins looks great, on a #### team.

Evans looks great, on a #### team.

Benjamin looks good (with moments of bad).

Cooks looked pretty good.

Allen Robinson looked good.

Beckham is on a whole other level. And the only other threat on the field is freaking Reuben Randle, and he's still doing this to defenses.

shadyridr said:

This guy has just dominated from the first snap of his career.

Usually the guys who aren't seen as total stud prospects take some development. That's the confusing part.

But very few people fell in love with him as a prospect the way they did with Watkins/Evans and even Cooks.

Beckham is on a whole other level. And the only other threat on the field is freaking Reuben Randle, and he's still doing this to defenses.
I said it earlier and don't want to belabor it, but maybe it was height? He's not 6'4".

Regardless, it's pretty clear this guy is completely legit. I haven't seen anything like it in a long time for the Giants, and I love it.

Oh and BTW, Landry hasn't been bad either. Both those guys are something special…When you combine talent with work ethic, this is what you get. Monster. I still see him as behind calvin and D thomas next year, but he is definitely in their tier with the likes of Brown, Bryant, AJ green and Jordy...

Not to mention, when and if Cruz returns, his injury is a huge ??. A patella injury is very very hard to come back from and very hard to achieve the same lvl of performance before the injury.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get the argument that he is going to lose a ton of targets. Just counting games he has started, he averages less targets than Brown, Julio, or Demaryius.

shadyridr said:
I said he was going to be a star back in October of 2013.
Did anyone watch "finding giants", the giants scouts and front office had this one nailed. They had a huge hard on for odb. They showed film oh him breaking wide open and then having to wait for the ball, thus eliminating his RAC plus the cb caught up so he made tough catches. They also highlighted his ability to adjust to a poorly thrown ball.

Why would he possibly lose targets? Does Calvin lose targets? Dez? AJ Green? He's their best player, one of the elite wrs in the game and since they've started turning the offense over to him they are winning football games. They are going for 4 in a row next week. Every team is trying to goad him with late hits and focusing their defense to try and stop him but he doesn't blink and continues to shred them at historic levels. You target him and you win football games...pretty simple formula.

Look the guy has played what 12 games and he's going for the all time record of 9 consecutive 90+ yard games, he has the most 130+ yard games this season amongst all NFL wrs and I could go on and on. We have no idea of this kids ceiling..we don't know his comparables since he's breaking new ground each week.

His strengths are off the chart but the NFL is all about attacking your weaknesses... But what are they? The only possible thing I can think of is height. He's got intelligence, the desire to be great, work ethic, leadership, athleticism, speed, unreal hands like we've never seen, tremendous separation and great route running. I can't say enough good things about him because I think he's just that good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr Anonymous said:

WTF are you talking about? Do you watch him play or just look at his stats? He's uncoverable on short, intermediate, and deep routes. He has sprinter speed, leaps out of the building, and he catches everything thrown in his vicinity. The reason everyone is convinced he's an elite NFL player going forward is because he's the rare combo of great route runner with the catch radius of a WR a half foot taller. Add in his speed and hands and what you have is a more athletic Antonio Brown.
And last year we said the same thing about Gordon and in the last couple of seasons we said the same thing about Cruz, about Hakeem Nicks, and about 10 other guys. It is simply not sustainable because the NFL DOES adjust. Two years ago, QBs like Kaep and Newton and RG III looked like they were going to rule the NFL for a dozen years and now what?

Some of you guys look at these short runs and extrapolate the numbers and say things like you're saying but the simple truth is it NEVER holds up. They can be great and they can be one of the best in the league. But they can't live up to the hype of these short runs.

Let me explain it to you this way: By the numbers, since he became a starter, he is on pace that would be 188 targets per season, 138 catches, 2028 yards and 16 TDs. Sorry, call me crazy but I don't see this holding up. I just can't come around to your way of thinking that he will maintain a pace that will shatter Jerry Rice's records in about 10 seasons.

Like I said, I get it that people are excited he will be really good, maybe one of the best. But when you loosely toss out absolutely unstoppable and dominant and instant top WR in dynasty, etc, etc, it tells me you are buying high. He played like Gordon did last year. How did that work out this year? We see this all the time. Even if he becomes that version of Wes Welker that was a PPR god for a handful of years, ok, maybe you can get that...and that's great. But to think he is going to come out and become a tier unto himself like some of you guys are talking is just setting you up for disappointment.

Mr Anonymous said:
You guys are nuts. We see this every year. An unknown or young guy comes out of nowhere and impresses big. But this league adapts quickly. He may be a legit top 20 wr in the league going forward but you guys are piling up the hype way too far.6 months ago, we would say the same about Gordon. A couple of years ago it was Cruz and nicks.

WTF are you talking about? Do you watch him play or just look at his stats? He's uncoverable on short, intermediate, and deep routes. He has sprinter speed, leaps out of the building, and he catches everything thrown in his vicinity. The reason everyone is convinced he's an elite NFL player going forward is because he's the rare combo of great route runner with the catch radius of a WR a half foot taller. Add in his speed and hands and what you have is a more athletic Antonio Brown.
And last year we said the same thing about Gordon and in the last couple of seasons we said the same thing about Cruz, about Hakeem Nicks, and about 10 other guys. It is simply not sustainable because the NFL DOES adjust. Two years ago, QBs like Kaep and Newton and RG III looked like they were going to rule the NFL for a dozen years and now what? Some of you guys look at these short runs and extrapolate the numbers and say things like you're saying but the simple truth is it NEVER holds up. They can be great and they can be one of the best in the league. But they can't live up to the hype of these short runs.

Let me explain it to you this way: By the numbers, since he became a starter, he is on pace that would be 188 targets per season, 138 catches, 2028 yards and 16 TDs. Sorry, call me crazy but I don't see this holding up. I just can't come around to your way of thinking that he will maintain a pace that will shatter Jerry Rice's records in about 10 seasons.

Like I said, I get it that people are excited he will be really good, maybe one of the best. But when you loosely toss out absolutely unstoppable and dominant and instant top WR in dynasty, etc, etc, it tells me you are buying high. He played like Gordon did last year. How did that work out this year? We see this all the time. Even if he becomes that version of Wes Welker that was a PPR god for a handful of years, ok, maybe you can get that...and that's great. But to think he is going to come out and become a tier unto himself like some of you guys are talking is just setting you up for disappointment.
You don't have to worry about buying high in dynasty because if you don't own him you aren't getting him.

Look I get what you are saying and yes breakouts happen all the time sort of which fizzle. Tell me honestly what you would do to stop him if you were the DC?

There was tons of chatter about him as soon as all the work outs began last year. He went from being a late 1st early 2nd round pick to many teams looking to move up to get him. His combine numbers were insane if you look at more then just a 40 time and his hands obviously speak for themselves. Considering his age and early production, I don't think there's a WR in dynasty that I would trade him for straight up.

Let me explain it to you this way: By the numbers, since he became a starter, he is on pace that would be 188 targets per season, 138 catches, 2028 yards and 16 TDs.
That's about where I have him next year, barring injury. Probably more TDs than that though.

Mr Anonymous said:
You guys are nuts. We see this every year. An unknown or young guy comes out of nowhere and impresses big. But this league adapts quickly. He may be a legit top 20 wr in the league going forward but you guys are piling up the hype way too far.6 months ago, we would say the same about Gordon. A couple of years ago it was Cruz and nicks.

And last year we said the same thing about Gordon and in the last couple of seasons we said the same thing about Cruz, about Hakeem Nicks, and about 10 other guys. It is simply not sustainable because the NFL DOES adjust. Two years ago, QBs like Kaep and Newton and RG III looked like they were going to rule the NFL for a dozen years and now what? Some of you guys look at these short runs and extrapolate the numbers and say things like you're saying but the simple truth is it NEVER holds up. They can be great and they can be one of the best in the league. But they can't live up to the hype of these short runs.

You don't have to worry about buying high in dynasty because if you don't own him you aren't getting him.

Look I get what you are saying and yes breakouts happen all the time sort of which fizzle. Tell me honestly what you would do to stop him if you were the DC?
2 words, Bradley Fletcher

Mr Anonymous said:

And last year we said the same thing about Gordon and in the last couple of seasons we said the same thing about Cruz, about Hakeem Nicks, and about 10 other guys. It is simply not sustainable because the NFL DOES adjust. Two years ago, QBs like Kaep and Newton and RG III looked like they were going to rule the NFL for a dozen years and now what?

Some of you guys look at these short runs and extrapolate the numbers and say things like you're saying but the simple truth is it NEVER holds up. They can be great and they can be one of the best in the league. But they can't live up to the hype of these short runs.

Gordon, yes.

The rest? Maybe my memory is failing but I don't recall Nicks or Cruz doing what ODB is doing. We appreciated Nicks hands and Cruz's talent but they didn't approach ODB's level. Gordon, Calvin, AJG, Julio, Dez, Randy Moss, AJ, DT and Graham are the players I remember having similar hype. So there are some out there, but guys who perform and pass the eye test like he has tend to do well in the future.

FWIW, Cam looks just fine to me. He needs more talent on the OLine but he's a bad example here. IMO.

I'd take dez, ajg, julio and brown over him. I know he has had a great half of football, and he is legit. however, they have no other decent WRs on their team right now and his targets have been very high. Cruz back next year will eat into those targets.
Oh darn, that means he will ONLY be just as good......but younger

Wow. We see this every year???

shadyridr said:
Exactly what I want to know. And he's doing all this with no offseason, no preseason, etc.How do we make sure we don't miss out on the "next ODB"?

This guy has just dominated from the first snap of his career.Usually the guys who aren't seen as total stud prospects take some development. That's the confusing part.

I said it earlier and don't want to belabor it, but maybe it was height? He's not 6'4".
Definitely has a lot to do with it.

Users who are viewing this thread