What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeremy Hill, RB (LVR) (6 Viewers)

What has Gio done to suggest he is a stud?
averaged over 4 yards per carry last year and again this year, caught 56 passes last year in a timeshare and on a similar pace this year, scored 8 tds as a rookie and on pace for 11+ this year, earned the starting role on a playoff caliber team that was recently 8 to 1 to win the superbowl, in large part because of how good the offense was doing, and contributed 1200 of the Bengals 4300 offensive yards last year and 625 of their 2470 this year, good for over a quarter of their total offensive output.
We must have vastly different criteria for what a stud is.

averaged over 4 yards per carry last year and again this year, caught 56 passes last year in a timeshare and on a similar pace this year, scored 8 tds as a rookie and on pace for 11+ this year, earned the starting role on a playoff caliber team that was recently 8 to 1 to win the superbowl, in large part because of how good the offense was doing, and contributed 1200 of the Bengals 4300 offensive yards last year and 625 of their 2470 this year, good for over a quarter of their total offensive output.
People arguing for Gio being a stud are doing so on the basis of what their eyes have seen, and not his stats. He obviously hasn't become a consistent fantasy stud, I don't think anyone would argue that.

But in the open field, he looks like a stud. I think most people think that once Cincy figures out how to use him properly, he will be a fantasy stud. I also think he gets defensive attention that is normally reserved for other team's best players.

People arguing for Gio being a stud are doing so on the basis of what their eyes have seen, and not his stats. He obviously hasn't become a consistent fantasy stud, I don't think anyone would argue that.

But in the open field, he looks like a stud. I think most people think that once Cincy figures out how to use him properly, he will be a fantasy stud. I also think he gets defensive attention that is normally reserved for other team's best players.
I think this is a great description and explanation. He looks like a stud, gets defensive attention like a stud but the stats equal good but not great.

I think this is a great description and explanation. He looks like a stud, gets defensive attention like a stud but the stats equal good but not great.
I don't think he looks like a stud or gets the defensive attention. :shrug: AJ Green gets the defensive attention.

Hmmm looking more likely that Hill is the guy this weekend. Anyone thinking Bernard could be out awhile?
I'm not saying he will be out a while, but i find it curious that no one on the Bengals (that I've seen) has said the injury isn't serious. Not that Marvin Lewis has a history of this, but it almost seems like he's being hush hush about it.

jurb26 said:
bostonfred said:
jurb26 said:
apparently. I also think Marshawn lynch is a stud, and he has 629 of the Seahawks 2452 yards this year, with 6 total tds - almost identical to gio. Of course this is a down year - lynch had 1575 of their 5424 last year, with 14 tds. But gio is on pace for 1425 and 11 tds, out of 5648 team yards, after two bad games where he's been dealing with a leg injury. That's not bad, compared to the guy who was the unquestioned center piece of the world Champs. I guess we do have different definitions of stud.

jurb26 said:
bostonfred said:
jurb26 said:
apparently. I also think Marshawn lynch is a stud, and he has 629 of the Seahawks 2452 yards this year, with 6 total tds - almost identical to gio. Of course this is a down year - lynch had 1575 of their 5424 last year, with 14 tds. But gio is on pace for 1425 and 11 tds, out of 5648 team yards, after two bad games where he's been dealing with a leg injury. That's not bad, compared to the guy who was the unquestioned center piece of the world Champs. I guess we do have different definitions of stud.
Compiling isn't the same as being effective or studly. Lynch hasn't had a YPA lower than 4.2 in 4 years. Gio hasn't had one better than 4.1 his entire, brief career. Lynch ranks as the #4 RB in DVOA, Gio #27. Last year Lynch ranked #17, Gio again #27. Gio has essentially been one of the worst starting RBs in the NFL the past 2 years when it comes to running the ball.

Regardless of Gio's practice status, the most likely outcome is that Gio and Hill split carries 60:40 for the first few series, and by the second half, Cin is up by 20-10 or 20-6 and moving the ball well. If that's the case, we can expect Hill to take the job for the rest of the game.

There's certainly risk here - if Jax keeps this close and Gio feels good, we could see Hill put up 6 for 25 or whatever. But of all the handcuff types, I think Hill has the greatest chance of being startable for this particular bye-week hell.

Hmmm looking more likely that Hill is the guy this weekend. Anyone thinking Bernard could be out awhile?
A starter missing a Wed practice doesn't mean much at this point of the season.

If he doesn't practice Friday, then I'd be concerned.
Agreed. Missing Wed mean almost nothing. Fri would be a much different story. What exactly is the injury anyway? All I see is it's a hip injury.

Agreed. Missing Wed mean almost nothing. Fri would be a much different story. What exactly is the injury anyway? All I see is it's a hip injury.
There has been no talk about his injury anywhere. Nobody knows.

My point was that i don't think it's a very useful stat for ranking running backs. If you're comfortable using a start that says lynch was a below average nfl running back last year then feel free to use Dvoa to rank running backs. If not, then don't cherry pick when it's right and wrong. I think lynch was worthy of league mvp consideration last year and

he was a serious candidate until manning separated from the field. Like you said, though, maybe you and I just have vastly different criteria. Nothing wrong with that, and it probably explains a lot of our difference of opinion.

Agreed. Missing Wed mean almost nothing. Fri would be a much different story.What exactly is the injury anyway? All I see is it's a hip injury.
There has been no talk about his injury anywhere. Nobody knows.
this guy knows

Richard SkinnerVerified account ‏@nkyskinner @Datsko Has a hip pointer and clavicle bothering him and yes he could miss Sunday especially with quick turnaround coming on Thursday.
the time is now, my hill ppl!

My point was that i don't think it's a very useful stat for ranking running backs. If you're comfortable using a start that says lynch was a below average nfl running back last year then feel free to use Dvoa to rank running backs. If not, then don't cherry pick when it's right and wrong. I think lynch was worthy of league mvp consideration last year and

he was a serious candidate until manning separated from the field. Like you said, though, maybe you and I just have vastly different criteria. Nothing wrong with that, and it probably explains a lot of our difference of opinion.
How did I cherry pick the stat? You cherry picked my post. I simply provided the numbers for each season they played in the NFL together. Lynch performs overwhelming better in that measure. You then removed the season in which Lynch was ranked 4. I didn't hide that he ranked 17. That would have been cherry picking. I then went further with the correlation, providing 2 more seasons of Lynch demonstrating extremely high results in this measure, because you attempted to twist the context. It's pretty simple. Lynch has show both on the field and via his production over the past 4 years he warrants a stud label. That doesn't mean every season he's going to be a stud or produce that way. Gio has not shown he is a stud on the field to date and his production and stats have not suggested it as well. This doesn't mean he never can. Hell, Lynch was pretty bad his first 2 years in the league and turned it around. You labeled Gio a stud, not me. You compared him to Lynch, not me.

If Bernard is a close call but misses the game because of their short week, then Hill could be in line for a very substantial workload. Remember the preseason game when they fed him 20 carries (26 touches!)? They wanted to get him used to an NFL workload. This could be one of those games.

Still, temper expectations a little against the Jaguars, who are eleventh in the league allowing just 4.0 YPC, and haven't let up 100 yards rushing to a single running back all season. But if Bernard misses next week, too, then Hill would get the Browns, who are a bottom 3 run defense by almost every measure and gave up 127 yards and a TD to Denard Robinson two weeks ago and 85 total yards to McFadden (12 for 59 rushing) last week.

If Bernard is a close call but misses the game because of their short week, then Hill could be in line for a very substantial workload. Remember the preseason game when they fed him 20 carries (26 touches!)? They wanted to get him used to an NFL workload. This could be one of those games.

Still, temper expectations a little against the Jaguars, who are eleventh in the league allowing just 4.0 YPC, and haven't let up 100 yards rushing to a single running back all season. But if Bernard misses next week, too, then Hill would get the Browns, who are a bottom 3 run defense by almost every measure and gave up 127 yards and a TD to Denard Robinson two weeks ago and 85 total yards to McFadden (12 for 59 rushing) last week.
but hill hasn't had a single game below 100 yds against the jags

OUR TIME TO STRIKE IS NOW!!!

jurb26 said:
bostonfred said:
jurb26 said:
apparently. I also think Marshawn lynch is a stud, and he has 629 of the Seahawks 2452 yards this year, with 6 total tds - almost identical to gio. Of course this is a down year - lynch had 1575 of their 5424 last year, with 14 tds. But gio is on pace for 1425 and 11 tds, out of 5648 team yards, after two bad games where he's been dealing with a leg injury. That's not bad, compared to the guy who was the unquestioned center piece of the world Champs.I guess we do have different definitions of stud.
Compiling isn't the same as being effective or studly.Lynch hasn't had a YPA lower than 4.2 in 4 years. Gio hasn't had one better than 4.1 his entire, brief career. Lynch ranks as the #4 RB in DVOA, Gio #27. Last year Lynch ranked #17, Gio again #27. Gio has essentially been one of the worst starting RBs in the NFL the past 2 years when it comes to running the ball.
LT in his first 336 carries had an avg of 3.6 ypc. So I guess you would have written him off too. Gio has 279 carries a 4.1 a better average than LT at this stage in his career. Yea I know... don't bother saying so I think he's as good as LT, just saying your argument stinks cos it would have applied to LT, who most knew was a stud regardless of his low ypc.

jurb26 said:
bostonfred said:
jurb26 said:
apparently. I also think Marshawn lynch is a stud, and he has 629 of the Seahawks 2452 yards this year, with 6 total tds - almost identical to gio. Of course this is a down year - lynch had 1575 of their 5424 last year, with 14 tds. But gio is on pace for 1425 and 11 tds, out of 5648 team yards, after two bad games where he's been dealing with a leg injury. That's not bad, compared to the guy who was the unquestioned center piece of the world Champs.I guess we do have different definitions of stud.
Compiling isn't the same as being effective or studly.Lynch hasn't had a YPA lower than 4.2 in 4 years. Gio hasn't had one better than 4.1 his entire, brief career. Lynch ranks as the #4 RB in DVOA, Gio #27. Last year Lynch ranked #17, Gio again #27. Gio has essentially been one of the worst starting RBs in the NFL the past 2 years when it comes to running the ball.
LT in his first 336 carries had an avg of 3.6 ypc. So I guess you would have written him off too. Gio has 279 carries a 4.1 a better average than LT at this stage in his career. Yea I know... don't bother saying so I think he's as good as LT, just saying your argument stinks cos it would have applied to LT, who most knew was a stud regardless of his low ypc.
I very clearly did not write Gio off. I stated he could prove to have a similar turnaround like Lynch and validate he's a stud. I'm simply pointing out he hasn't done that yet.

Is Hill considered a RB1 if Bernard sits?
No. Definitely no.I think most people would consider me "anti-Hill", but I'm not - I think he's talented, I just don't like his situation behind Bernard.

The reasons you don't start Hill over other low end RB1s/ high end RB2s are:

1) Jacksonville really isn't that great a matchup. They're middle of the road or even a little worse.

2) Cinci isn't getting great push right now. Bernard's coming off back to back bad games, but Hill hasn't fared much better - 2 rushes for 1 yard, 8 for 22 and a TD, 4 for 15 and 10 for 25. That's about 2.6 yards per carry, although that's not a very fair sample size since Hill plays the big back role.

3) There's a lot of uncertainty for Hill. Gio and Hill combined to run the ball just 11 times against the Colts due to game flow, but 36 times against the Ravens even though it wasn't particularly successful with just 70 combined rushing yards.

I do think he can get 20+ carries, and I think the coaches may force feed him like they did in that preseason game. But the risk/reward still isn't high enough to move him into RB1 territory because we really don't know what he can do with those carries and he hasn't been lighting things up on his own. He's a decent RB2 option, and probably a good price for a daily play, but not someone you need to force into your lineup over other quality options imo.

If Green is back playing. I don't care who the starting RB is for Cinci, I'm playing him. This offense isn't the same without Green.

No. Definitely no.I think most people would consider me "anti-Hill", but I'm not - I think he's talented, I just don't like his situation behind Bernard.

1) Jacksonville really isn't that great a matchup. They're middle of the road or even a little worse.

2) Cinci isn't getting great push right now. Bernard's coming off back to back bad games, but Hill hasn't fared much better - 2 rushes for 1 yard, 8 for 22 and a TD, 4 for 15 and 10 for 25. That's about 2.6 yards per carry, although that's not a very fair sample size since Hill plays the big back role.

3) There's a lot of uncertainty for Hill. Gio and Hill combined to run the ball just 11 times against the Colts due to game flow, but 36 times against the Ravens even though it wasn't particularly successful with just 70 combined rushing yards.

I do think he can get 20+ carries, and I think the coaches may force feed him like they did in that preseason game. But the risk/reward still isn't high enough to move him into RB1 territory because we really don't know what he can do with those carries and he hasn't been lighting things up on his own. He's a decent RB2 option, and probably a good price for a daily play, but not someone you need to force into your lineup over other quality options imo.
Yes and its not a debate. How can anyone who knows the game think the starting RB who may get 20+ touches against Jacksonville is not a RB1?

So hip pointer? Those aren't serious in the least, though they are terribly painful. Something tells me if it wasn't the Jags Gio would be playing and just limited a bit more.

So hip pointer? Those aren't serious in the least, though they are terribly painful. Something tells me if it wasn't the Jags Gio would be playing and just limited a bit more.
Whats telling to me is Green practiced but Bernard didnt. We know how AJ feels and he is able to practice, Bernard must be banged up more than is being led on if he cant.

Bengals are turrrrible for being tight lipped about injuries. Like, Belly-chick-ian levels.

If Marvin is saying hip pointer, it could be anything from normal fatigue that's no big deal to full blown gangrene and Gio's on point to have his leg removed next Tuesday.

How can anyone who knows the game think the starting RB who may get 20+ touches against Jacksonville is not a RB1?
"How can anyone who knows the game" is a bit harsh, considering I was trying to communicate useful information in the thread. I think I know the game, but maybe not as well as you. Let's run down a few points.First, starting RBs against Jacksonville this year haven't fared as well as you might think:

Week 1:

LeSean McCoy 74 rushing, 41 receiving, 0 TD

Darren Sproles 71 rushing, 14 receiving, 1 TD

Week 2:

Alfred Morris 85 rushing, 0 receiving, 2 TD

Week 3:

Trent Richardson 57 rushing, 23 receiving, 0 TD

Ahmad Bradshaw 65 rushing, 18 receiving, 1 TD

Week 4:

Donald Brown 19 rushing, 35 receiving, 0 TD

Brandon Oliver 23 rushing, 33 receiving, 0 TD

Week 5:

LeVeon Bell 82 rushing, 36 receiving, 0 TD

LeGarette Blount 29 rushing, 17 receiving, 0 TD

Week 6:

Bishop Sankey 61 rushing, 7 receiving, 0 TD

Week 7:

Ben Tate 36 rushing, -2 receiving, 0 TD

Isaiah Crowell 18 rushing, 5 receiving, 0 TD

Terrance West 8 rushing, 0 receiving, 0 TD

Week 8:

Lamar Miller 78 rushing, 21 receiving, 0 TD

Daniel Thomas 18 rushing, 12 receiving, 0 TD

Where are all these RB1 performance you'd expect to see? Not one of them got 100 rushing yards. Alfred Morris had 85 yards and 2 TDs, but he's the only one who really blew up against the Jags. Sproles had 85 total yards and a TD, and Bradshaw had 83 total yards and a TD, those were very good numbers. McCoy, LeVeon Bell and Lamar Miller had decent games, with 115, 118 and 99 total yards, respectively, but 100 total yards with no TD isn't really the upside you're hoping for. Even if you ignore all of the bad games above, that's a pace for 1500 total yards and 10 TDs. Bell, Bradshaw, and Miller are on pace to beat those numbers themselves.

Here's a list of backs I would consider ahead of Hill this week:

Arian Foster

DeMarco Murray

LeVeon Bell

Jamaal Charles

Marshawn Lynch

Ahmad Bradshaw

Mark Ingram

Andre Ellington

Ronnie Hillman

I hope we can agree that you wouldn't bench any of the above for Hill.

Lamar Miller

Brandon Oliver

Justin Forsett (if he plays)

Chris Ivory

LeSean McCoy

Alfred Morris

Personally, I wouldn't start him over any of these more established producers, either, but I can understand if you'd put him ahead of one or two of them.

Trent Richardson

Ben Tate

Shane Vereen

I'd put Hill in the same tier as these guys. That's somewhere between 10th and 19th, not counting Eddie Lacy and Matt Forte, who are on bye this week. The absolute highest I can see you putting him is 10th, and that's if you bench someone like LeSean McCoy for an unproven commodity based on match up. A more conservative approach would put him as a mid to low end RB2.

I absolutely stand by my comment that he's not a RB1 this week. And I am rooting for him to do well - I have high hopes for him as a potential daily league play. I just think this RB1 talk is very premature.

So serious question - are you seeing something that I'm not?

Yes and its not a debate. How can anyone who knows the game think the starting RB who may get 20+ touches against Jacksonville is not a RB1?
In a 12 team league, only 12 RBs get to be a RB1. Bostonfred has really stretched the limits with some of his arguments against Hill, but that wasn't an outlandish position to take. Jacksonville has been a slightly above average run defense.

I agree with everything you have said....but man I have to tell you I am struggling with wanting to sit Ellington for him if he gets the start....Ellington has been somewhat of a disappointment IMO.. He is getting a lot of touches but not producing as I thought he would with those touches...But as usual if I sit him I'm sure this would be the week he goes off.

Why does Hill have to perform like a RB1 this week when like 95% of leagues out there start 2 RBs? Many more have flex options to start 3.

First, starting RBs against Jacksonville this year haven't fared as well as you might think:Week 1:

Week 2:

Week 3:

Week 4:

Week 5:

Week 6:

Week 7:

Week 8:

Most of those are RBBC other than Morris and Sankey and if Gio is out then Hill gets probably close to what Morris did and I'd gladly take that.

How can anyone who knows the game think the starting RB who may get 20+ touches against Jacksonville is not a RB1?
"How can anyone who knows the game" is a bit harsh, considering I was trying to communicate useful information in the thread. I think I know the game, but maybe not as well as you. Let's run down a few points.First, starting RBs against Jacksonville this year haven't fared as well as you might think:

Week 1:

Week 2:

Week 3:

Week 4:

Week 5:

Week 6:

Week 7:

Week 8:

Where are all these RB1 performance you'd expect to see? Not one of them got 100 rushing yards. Alfred Morris had 85 yards and 2 TDs, but he's the only one who really blew up against the Jags. Sproles had 85 total yards and a TD, and Bradshaw had 83 total yards and a TD, those were very good numbers. McCoy, LeVeon Bell and Lamar Miller had decent games, with 115, 118 and 99 total yards, respectively, but 100 total yards with no TD isn't really the upside you're hoping for. Even if you ignore all of the bad games above, that's a pace for 1500 total yards and 10 TDs. Bell, Bradshaw, and Miller are on pace to beat those numbers themselves.

Here's a list of backs I would consider ahead of Hill this week:

Arian Foster

DeMarco Murray

LeVeon Bell

Jamaal Charles

Marshawn Lynch

Ahmad Bradshaw

Mark Ingram

Andre Ellington

Ronnie Hillman

I hope we can agree that you wouldn't bench any of the above for Hill.

Lamar Miller

Brandon Oliver

Justin Forsett (if he plays)

Chris Ivory

LeSean McCoy

Alfred Morris

Personally, I wouldn't start him over any of these more established producers, either, but I can understand if you'd put him ahead of one or two of them.

Trent Richardson

Ben Tate

Shane Vereen

I'd put Hill in the same tier as these guys. That's somewhere between 10th and 19th, not counting Eddie Lacy and Matt Forte, who are on bye this week. The absolute highest I can see you putting him is 10th, and that's if you bench someone like LeSean McCoy for an unproven commodity based on match up. A more conservative approach would put him as a mid to low end RB2.

I absolutely stand by my comment that he's not a RB1 this week. And I am rooting for him to do well - I have high hopes for him as a potential daily league play. I just think this RB1 talk is very premature.

So serious question - are you seeing something that I'm not?
Fred, I see 2 of my 3 RBs there on your list. What about Jerick McKinnon?

First, starting RBs against Jacksonville this year haven't fared as well as you might think:

Week 1:

Week 2:

Week 3:

Week 4:

Week 5:

Week 6:

Week 7:

Week 8:

Most of those are RBBC other than Morris and Sankey and if Gio is out then Hill gets probably close to what Morris did and I'd gladly take that.
I was kind of thinking that as well. Philly and Indy both basically torched them with their RBs but it was soread around.

Whats telling to me is Green practiced but Bernard didnt. We know how AJ feels and he is able to practice, Bernard must be banged up more than is being led on if he cant.
Let me repeat that a guy missing Wednesday practice means nothing.

Rotoworld take:

Cedric Peerman - RB - Bengals

According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, the Bengals are "getting [Cedric] Peerman ready as a complimentary back to Jeremy Hill."

Gio Bernard (hip) is in doubt for Sunday's game against the Jaguars. He couldn't finish last week's game and did not practice on Wednesday. The change-of-pace type Peerman has been on the fringe of Cincy's roster for the last five seasons, rushing just 54 times. The real winner if Gio sits, of course, would be rookie power back Jeremy Hill. He'd take on feature duties and would be a candidate for 20 touches.

Related: Giovani Bernard, Jeremy Hill

Source: Mike Clay on Twitter

Oct 30 - 10:54 AM

mnmplayer said:
A starting RB missed a wed practice mid season? That never happens!
My understanding was he didn't even attend practice, which is unusual. Normally they are at least out there riding a bike even if they sit out the practice.

NREC34 said:
Fred, I see 2 of my 3 RBs there on your list. What about Jerick McKinnon?
Minny's O-line is not playing well and the Redskins have done a decent job against the run this season. I think I might lean Hill over McKinnon, but it's close.

And I agree with Bostonfred, Hill looks like about the 18th best RB going into the weekend here. In addition to those listed, you've got Bobby Rainey against the terrible Cleveland run defense and without Doug Martin, which frankly looks more appetizing than Hill's opportunity due to the matchup. Gore against St. Louis is also an option, though I'd probably go Hill over Gore.

Now, with so many RBs injured, on bye, and in suspect situations, whether Hill is the 12th or 20th RB probably doesn't matter. I'd imagine that most teams do not have difficult decisions here. I'm definitely excited to see what Hill can do with a full load.

Jack White said:
Jerry Curl said:
jurb26 said:
Let me repeat that a guy missing Wednesday practice means nothing.
What about Wednesday and Thursday?

Users who are viewing this thread