What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

John Brown Hype Train- Not as bad of reach as I thought (1 Viewer)

John Brown = Antonio Brown

I own both and the similiarities are uncanny. Exact same height.

They both got overlooked a bit early in their careers because of their height but both are supreme talents. John Brown right now gets lost a little bit because of the all the weapons the Cardinals have but make no mistake he is an absolutely stud. The efficiency rate this year when Carson passes to John Brown is exremely high and even though the hamstring injury slowed him down for a couple of games he is still has posted WR#2 numbers this year.

It took quite while for people to recognize just how good Antonio is and people are a bit slow on John too but don't sleep on this guy. He is special.
Little guys, as long as they have an accurate QB they are fine. A. Brown showed what happens when the QB goes down and a backup comes in. Bigger WRs like Brandon Marshall don/t need an accurate QB.

I own Brown but will unload him to a weak team when Palmer is gone unless his replacement is accurate.
Short guys get no respect. In life and and in football.

Antonio only struggled when Vick was QB. With Jones he as fine. Both are more talented than Marshall. Did Carson's accuracy turn that TD from a 20 yard gain into a 65 yard TD? No it didn't. John Brown's speed did. Get either Antonio or John into the open field and you are in big trouble as a defense.
Accuracy got the ball to him so he could do what he does. Without accuracy, that play never happens. I'm not arguing your point. I love having John Brown but I know if there is no Plamer, John Brown suffers badly. Go back to last year and see how bad his numbers were right after Palmer went down. If Palmer goes down, John Brown is a zero.
Well given Arizona backups sure. But any decent nfl Qb and John Brown is a stud. If anything Carson favors his fellow old guy, Fitz, maybe a bit too much. I could easily argue both Floyd and Brown are more talented at this point of their careers.

Put it this way. Blake Bortles is John Brown's QB. He is Wr#1 right now.

Fitzgerald is doing an excellent job of blocking for both Floyd and Brown downfield. I think he got away with hands to the face on his block on Harris but the refs were not calling much the whole game.

I think Floyd and Brown help each other. Not many teams have 3 strong defensive backs. So having a third threat helps a lot with match ups.

The Antonio brown comparisons...why? Antonio isn't just a speed guy. He's one of the best route runners in the league. He's got moves that will literally break ankles, not just speed. Does john town have this? I've seen nothing to suggest that. Every big play I've seen john brown make was just benefitting from his top line speed. More one trick pony-ish.

I think whenever there's a short wr who is fast people compare him to Antonio brown. The only real comparison I've seen is Diggs who s similar ankle breaking fast twitch moves and superior route running.

The Antonio brown comparisons...why? Antonio isn't just a speed guy. He's one of the best route runners in the league. He's got moves that will literally break ankles, not just speed. Does john town have this? I've seen nothing to suggest that. Every big play I've seen john brown make was just benefitting from his top line speed. More one trick pony-ish.

I think whenever there's a short wr who is fast people compare him to Antonio brown. The only real comparison I've seen is Diggs who s similar ankle breaking fast twitch moves and superior route running.
I think you make some good points. Smokey is more like Desean without the stupidity.

I think you make some good points. Smokey is more like Desean without the stupidity.
I can definitely see that comparison. And that's not knocking brown. Djax is a great wr that could have been eve better if he had his head screwed on properly.

Anyone else getting dull pains in their chest watching him tonight?

By my count, 3 uncharacteristic clean drops for about 113 yd and 2 TDs so far :(

Anyone else getting dull pains in their chest watching him tonight?

By my count, 3 uncharacteristic clean drops for about 113 yd and 2 TDs so far :(
Well, yeah. If he makes those catches, I win two games that I'm likely to now lose. Cost me several hundy. I'm sure I'm not alone.

DocHolliday said:
Now he has a couple of catches and a TD. Patience.
You can preach patience if you want, but I bet dollars to doughnuts that there are a few guys out there that could have used that 30-pt night from Brown (and it was there). Just had the "yips" tonight or something.

Yup defi

DocHolliday said:
Now he has a couple of catches and a TD. Patience.
You can preach patience if you want, but I bet dollars to doughnuts that there are a few guys out there that could have used that 30-pt night from Brown (and it was there). Just had the "yips" tonight or something.
The big miss was the first one. Definitely had an off night but if you needed 30 pts from him you were in trouble. Still was the top producing Cardinals wideout tonight even with all the screw ups. I hope and prays he falls next year in redrafts. I love this guy. So much talent.

First play of the game. Only his third dropped catch of the year. It would have been a thing of beauty.

Oh well at least he got a td later.

Offseason bump - what would you guys say Brown's dynasty value is?
I like Brown a lot, but his situation seems to be a cap on his potential, giving him a high ceiling but a below-average floor.

That said, I like him better than a lot of this year's weaker WR rookie pool, so would have to fall in love with someone to deal him for picks this season (barring crazy value like top-2 offers).

Could be open to moving him for some 2017 action if I thought I could afford the loss of depth.

John Brown remains in the league's concussion protocol.
Coach Bruce Arians called it a "concern," and said the team will continue being cautious. Brown has now been sidelined over two weeks. He'll obviously miss Friday's preseason game, and should be considered questionable for next week's regular season dress rehearsal. Worrisome as it is, there's still no reason to ding Brown's draft status as an upside WR3.

Source: Kent Somers on Twitter 
Aug 16 - 3:23 PM

John Brown (concussion) has been cleared to resume practicing.
We got mildly concerned as Brown missed nearly three weeks of training camp with the brain injury. He should now have a shot to play in the Cardinals' regular season dress rehearsal next weekend. 26-year-old Brown is coming off a breakout 65-1,003-7 campaign despite nursing hamstring problems for most of 2015. He's arguably the highest-floor fantasy pick in Arizona's wideout corps.

Source: Mike Jurecki on Twitter

How many concussions has he had now? He had one last year and he wasn't the same for quite some time. Those could be mounting up and be a potential issue.

John Brown missed Cardinals practice with a headache on Wednesday.
We usually wait three days to blurb players with seemingly day-to-day injuries, but this is especially concerning after Brown missed three weeks of training camp with a concussion. He was cleared to practice earlier this week. Brown will likely be placed back into the NFL's concussion protocol. We're not quite worried that he'll miss Week 1, but the situation is increasingly troubling.

Aug 24 - 3:31 PM

I feel bad for him. He is so close to his big contract and being set for life, but I am not sure what it might cost him to get there. 

He is absolutely a do not draft for me. 

How many concussions has he had now? He had one last year and he wasn't the same for quite some time. Those could be mounting up and be a potential issue.
Is this true?  I checked Rotoworld and did not see anything.  I only remember the hamstrings.

I am terrified about his struggles in recovery, but I haven't found documented coverage of a previous concussion

Last edited by a moderator:

Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said Monday that John Brown is still experiencing headaches.
Arians did insist Brown is "making progress," and that Smokey has been headache free for two days. Brown's recovery has still been alarmingly slow from an early-camp concussion. The Cardinals have not yet given any indication that Brown's reoccurring headaches could keep him out of Week 1.

Source: Kent Somers on Twitter 
Aug 29 - 3:30 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9649/john-brown

John Brown (headaches, concussion) has been cleared to resume playing.
He could suit up for Thursday's exhibition finale, but almost certainly won't. Brown hasn't played a snap this preseason, but the Cardinals obviously aren't going to further risk his health. The lingering nature of Brown's concussion issues is a definite concern, but he'll be out there for Week 1. Brown has become a risk/reward WR3 in the Cardinals' crowded receiver corps. Aug 30 - 4:05 PM
Good news?

Well given Arizona backups sure. But any decent nfl Qb and John Brown is a stud. If anything Carson favors his fellow old guy, Fitz, maybe a bit too much. I could easily argue both Floyd and Brown are more talented at this point of their careers.

Put it this way. Blake Bortles is John Brown's QB. He is Wr#1 right now.
The cards were dominant last year and almost made the super bowl with fitz as their number 1 receiver. You may like brown but he wasn't better than fitz last year and he probably won't be this year either. 

Neither Floyd or Brown were ever as talented as fitz and they still aren't. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Larry Fitzgerald was the leading fantasy WR on the Cardinals in three games in 2015.

Michael Floyd was the leading fantasy WR on the Cardinals in four games (2 while John Brown did not play - these were his 2 biggest blowup games of the season vs. SEA and CLE) in 2015.

John Brown was the leading fantasy WR on the Cardinals in nine games in 2015.

Larry Fitzgerald was the leading fantasy WR on the Cardinals in three games in 2015.

Michael Floyd was the leading fantasy WR on the Cardinals in four games (2 while John Brown did not play - these were his 2 biggest blowup games of the season vs. SEA and CLE) in 2015.

John Brown was the leading fantasy WR on the Cardinals in nine games in 2015.
A bit misleading because Floyd missed a lot of time last year too. I think he only started 6 games. 

A bit misleading because Floyd missed a lot of time last year too. I think he only started 6 games. 
I would count 12 games for Floyd and 14 games for Brown.  Then factor that 1/3 of Floyd's production came in 2 games when Brown was out

I repeat, 33% (39.9 out of 120.9 standard points) of Floyd's points came in 2 games when Smokey was out 

John Brown played just 35-of-61 snaps Sunday night against the Patriots.
Brown was easily out-snapped by both Larry Fitzgerald (59) and Michael Floyd (58). He managed to catch just 1-of-4 targets for eight yards on his limited plays. It is possible the Cardinals were taking it easy on Brown after he missed most of camp with a concussion, but his usage is certainly a concern. He will be no better than a WR3 this week against the Bucs.

I cut him, and now I got him back.

Seems like he is part of the gameplan again.. maybe hes the 2nd half breakout?

He's in my starting lineup for now (over Beasley) ... does anybody know if there's a rapport with Stanton?

The only folks that have a rapport with Stanton is the opposing DBs.
True dat.  Better place this hype train on blocks for now. 

To remind people and put things into perspective, when Larry Fitzgerald was deciding on whether to sign another contract with AZ, he specifically held discussions with them regarding where things stood with Palmer before committing. This was coming off that stretch where Palmer was lost and they rouletted their way through a host of joke QBs. It was so bad, Fitz questioned whether he wanted to play (and earn millions) if Palmer wasn't there.  

'nuff said.

Users who are viewing this thread