What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2014 Player/Team Spotlight -- Oakland Raiders (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
2014 Team & Player Spotlight Series

One of Footballguys best assets is our message board community. The Shark Pool is, in our view, the best place on the internet to discuss, debate and analyze all things fantasy football. In what's become an annual tradition, the Player Spotlight series is a key part of the preseason efforts. We are trying something different this year. We will still publish more than 100 PLAYER SPOTLIGHT articles on the main site. But we are going to solicit discussion on them in these TEAM threads.

Why the change?

NFL success is contingent on the sum of a team's parts. To think that a wide receiver succeeds simply because of himself would be foolhardy. What if a team has three excellent fantasy WR options (e.g., Denver with Demaryius Thomas, Wes Welker and Emmanuel Sanders)? Is a person's enthusiasm for a given player being properly offset against lesser expectations for one of their teammates?

Frankly, there was a lot of redundancy in former Spotlight threads. Asking you all to discuss the Giants new OC Ben McAdoo in threads for Eli Manning, Victor Cruz, Odell Beckham and Rashad Jennings seems inefficient. Now, in this new format, you can factor McAdoo (or any other team change) and it's impact on ALL the relevant skill players.

Thread Topic: Oakland Raiders

The NEW Rules

In order for this thread to provide maximum value, we ask that you follow a few simple guidelines:

• Focus commentary on the fantasy relevant players in question, and your expectations for said players
  • Back up your expectations in whatever manner you deem appropriate; avoid posts that simply say "I hate him" or "He's the best"
  • Avoid redundancies or things like "good posting" ... this should be about incremental analysis or debate
While not a requirement, we strongly encourage you to provide your own projections for the relevant players on each team. We would note that it's important that your statistics makes sense. For example, projecting two running backs on the same team with 2,000 yards is an obvious gaffe. You might have three WR/TEs projected for 1,000+ yards, but that would be aggressive and a historical rarity. Back it up.

Projections should include:

• For QBs: Attempts, Completions, Passing Yards, Passing TDs, Ints, Rush Attempts, Rush Yards, Rush TDs
  • For RBs: Rushes, Rushing Yards, Rush TDs, Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs
  • For WRs & TEs: Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs
Recommended Players to Discuss:

• QB Matt Schaub
  • QB Derek Carr
  • RB Maurice Jones-Drew
  • RB Darren McFadden
  • WR Rod Streater
  • WR James Jones
  • WR Denarius Moore
  • TE Mychal Rivera
Each PLAYER SPOTLIGHT article will include:

• Detailed viewpoint from a Footballguys staff member
  • Links to thoughtful viewpoints from around the Web, including intriguing pull quotes from this thread
  • FBG Projections

Team Spotlight – OAKLAND RAIDERS

Let me preface this spotlight with what most people already know going into the 2014 football season. For fantasy purposes, Raider skill positions offer on the whole good value to filling out a roster, primarily because they come so cheap. Partly because their offense is a complete unknown at this point, with a whole new QB echelon, as well as new RB pecking order. Partly because there are so many fantasy football hobbyists who will avoid owning a Raider out of hate or prior season disappointment. And partly because the team doesn’t project to be a high scoring or fast paced offense according to the experts and pundits. All of this bodes as good news if you are mining for underpriced value additions to your fantasy roster. I believe that several, if not most of the names below will outperform their current ADP.

• [SIZE=10.5pt]QB Matt Schaub[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10.5pt]QB Derek Carr[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10.5pt]RB Maurice Jones-Drew[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10.5pt]RB Darren McFadden[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10.5pt]WR Rod Streater[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10.5pt]WR James Jones[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10.5pt]WR Denarius Moore[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10.5pt]TE Mychal Rivera[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]QB: Matt Schaub/Derek Carr[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Matt Schaub is an enigma. Currently being drafted as a low QB2. He’s only one year removed from a pro-bowl season in 2012. Schaub had a 5 year run for Houston that was quietly phenomenal, posting a 94.1 rating over the span of 2008-12 seasons. Last season, Schaub led the Texans to a fast 2-0 start, before falling apart, losing 6 straight games and ultimately benched exiled after the seaon. Will Schaub bounce back to his pro bowl caliber of play? Or was last season’s effort a signal of things to come? Even at his best, Schaub was never much of a fantasy QB, even though he had wonderful receiving weapons in future HOFer Andre Johnson and TE Owen Daniels. It’s fair to say that he’ll have less talented receiving weapons than he had in Houston. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]What I believe:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Schaub will start the season as starting QB, only to once again lose his starting job to the rookie Carr. Not because Schaub does anything horrendous as his series of pick sixes a year ago. But because he is a game manager who will not be willing to take chances in the red zone and the offense will stall out for a number of Janikowski FG attempts. All the while, the bye week will loom heavy and if the season starts to slip away, the switch will be made eventually to Derek Carr. The schedule and travel are brutal for the Raiders this year, and I think we see D Carr sooner than later. For this reason, I don’t endorse taking Matt Schaub as anything but a low QB2 and only in must start two QB leagues. Don’t draft Carr, but keep him on “monitor” status. He’s got the arm strength and can make any throw from any angle and definitely worth a priority add should Schaub get benched. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Bottom line: Schaub/Carr…..undrafted free agents = stay away, do not draft[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]RB: Maurice Jones-Drew[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]MJD comes into the season with a new team and a chip on his shoulder to prove the pundits who say he’s washed up are all wrong. But recently admitted he was thinking of retirement after his 2013 season, wondering if lost something physically. It should be apparent to anyone who has watched his tape that he has clearly lost a step or two. He’s coming off his worst season of football, posting an average of 3.4 yards per carry. Some of that was the Jacksonville offensive line, but even on plays where MJD broke into the secondary, he was quickly chased down for minimal extra gain. He no longer has the breakaway speed, and is more of a plodder at age 29. His fantasy value rests on his superior pass protection ability, and 3 down back capability which always made MJD a volume type stats accumulator. On Oakland, he’ll be in a full blown RBBC with oft-injured but talented Darren McFadden. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]What I believe: [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]MJD will get 15 total touches per game and will generate about 60 yards of offense total with an occasional score. He’s currently being drafted in the 8th round according to ADP, and I think he’s going to disappoint most of his owners who take him there. He should be a serviceable RB5/RB6 for a bye week filler, but expecting any more than 10 points a week in PPR is going to be crapshoot from week to week. Steady, but not spectacular, he will be dropped outright once the realization that Darren McFadden or his eventual backup aren’t going anywhere. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Bottom line: MJD, currently 8th round ADP, too high and I would take a shot at acquiring in the 11th round or later. MJD = Overrated[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]RB: Darren McFadden[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Run DMC has been snake-bit, and pretty much snake bit anyone who took him early in fantasy drafts over the years. But his current ADP is extremely low (10th round) and is considered the handcuff to MJD. I find these rankings to be amusing. DMC is still only 26 yo, and has far less mileage on than MJD. And put them in a footrace and it’s no contest. DMC will smoke MJD. But the fantasy pundits have left DMC for dead. I think that’s a big mistake. DMC may eventually get hurt this season, as is his calling card. But his per game average of fantasy points is far superior to MJD’s. Ride him while you have him is what I recommend. He’s a steal coming off the board four rounds later than MJD in a scenario that frankly I think should be reversed. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]DMC, currently 10/11 round ADP, should be considered in the 8th round or possibly even the 7th round. MJD does inhibit his season touches and ceiling, but remember that DMC still has the game breaking speed to house a football on any play. Keeping him fresh could lead to surprising production on limited touches. DMC = underrated[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]WR Rod Streater[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Rod Streater enters his third season with the Raiders as a UDFA who has improved in each of his two seasons. Last year, accumulated 60 receptions for 888 yards on 100 targets. He enters the season as the clear #1 WR. His stats are only going to improve across the board whether it’s Schaub or Carr throwing him the ball. Last year’s starting QB’s were so bad, they are either no longer on the team or on the roster bubble. And still Rod Streater produced. And still he gets no love from the fantasy experts. Unbelievable![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Rod Streater is criminally undervalued, coming off the board in the late 15th round. It will not take much of a bump for him to surpass 1,000 yards receiving, and the QB’s he will have are much better than anything he had last year. He offers consistent WR3/WR4 production and WR6 cost. Streater is a draft day steal for where he’s currently going. Rod Streater = steal[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]WR James Jones[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]James Jones is a nice addition to the Raiders WR corp, and brings a level of veteran savvy and professionalism that is needed to a young WR group. He’s 30 years old now, and so no spring chicken, but not old by any means. However, he’s no longer getting the benefit of receiving pin-point laser fire from Aaron Rodgers, so I think it’s best to temper expectations. Add to that he’s already had a couple of injuries this off-season. First he pulled his hammy, and now he’s sidelined with a separated shoulder. He should be back for training camp, but his durability could be a question. In any case, I’m not nearly as high on James Jones as people in the fantasy community are. Jones is currently being drafted in the 11th round well ahead of Rod Streater. It’s as if people are assuming he is going to be the #1 WR, when in fact he’s going to be competing to get on the field with D. Moore. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]James Jones is a #3 wideout on a team that is going to try to run the ball a lot. I don’t see him scoring enough TD’s or catching enough balls to warrant his current ADP. I could be wrong, but I don’t think he’s going to last the season. James Jones = fantasy bust[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]WR Denarius Moore[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Denarius Moore has become a pariah among fantasy experts lately. Some are writing him off as a potential cut or trade candidate. He’s been maddeningly inconsistent from week to week, and the current training staff is trying hard to motivate him to achieve his potential. There’s no denying the potential is great, but he has to be micro-managed to stay on an even keel. Take into account that last year, playing with arguably the worst QB rotation in his career, he put up almost equivalent stats to 2012 when he had Carson Palmer, despite 28 fewer targets. And comes into the 2014 season with a game-breaking 15.8 YPC. There’s been a lot of fabricated fantasy buzz around Andre Holmes overtaking D. Moore as the WR#3. Don’t believe it. Moore is here to stay and his role should increase if anything with improved QB play. It says here that his stats across the board should get a jump.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Denarius Moore is another criminally undervalued WR, though not as bad as Rod Streater. Currently his ADP is in the 17th round. Another WR I would have no problem drafting in the 12th or 13th round but maybe later if I can ride his current ADP. A startable WR#4 or WR#5 at WR7 price. Denarius Moore = steal[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]WR Andre Holmes (extra)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Holmes has been riding high these days in the rotoblurbs, and it didn’t hurt that everyone saw his breakout performance in garbage time last year on Thanksgiving. Speculation is that he competes for more playing time at the expense of Denarius Moore. While I think his roster spot is solid, I’d be less surprised that he gets cut than I will seeing him overtake Moore. He’s barely had an experience to speak of and is still learning the ropes. People are looking at his tall frame and athletic ability and already projecting him to take the leap. Unless there is a significant injury, could be to Jones maybe, I see Holmes continuing to see the field as the WR#4 and in spot duty. His ADP is undrafted free agent, but I’ve seen some drafts where he’s gone ahead of Rod Streater, which I think is ridiculous. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The hype machine is out of control and needs to be toned down. If you have the roster space and feel compelled to own a Raider WR, by all means take Holmes. Though I would advise to just leave him on the wire. Holmes = overrated[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]TE Mychal Rivera[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Rivera came on strong in his rookie year, catching 38 balls on 60 targets and 4 TD’s. He never really had any one breakout week, but proved to be the only reliable TE weapon last year, with David Ausberry hurt early on. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I think Rivera builds off his rookie season, and becomes an integral component of the offense this year. The TE was underutilized last year, and with Matt Schaub and/or Derek Carr, I expect the TE numbers to jump dramatically. Schaub’s last full season with Houston, he threw to the TE’s 124 times, while the total Raider production last year was only 45 catches. Something has to give, and I expect Rivera to be the Raiders primary “move” TE and his production could potentially double last year. Currently his ADP is undrafted, he’s a guy I think steal. Rivera = underrated[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]TE David Ausberry[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Ausberry is another rotoblurb hero getting a lot of talk, but the truth is that he’s a converted college WR, that is going into his 4th yr with 9 career catches. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Ausberry is still going undrafted and is a dynasty darling, but I would not touch him in either format. I expect/hope that he can break 30 catches and help pad the overall TE stats. [/SIZE]

Great summary Raider Fan! Like you, I believe there is so much uncertainty and change surrounding this team that it would be almost impossible for meaningful projections.

However, I also believe there is potentially tremendous value here somewhere so a few questions/comments for you (and others):

1) DMC - completely agree he will command the majority of touches by mid-season (if not before). So much that I'd be willing to reach in redraft to get him. Question: If he's currently going RB40 (9.05) then how many rounds up would people go to get him (i.e. what is the certainty level that Allen would abandon RBBC once DMC proves he is the better talent?)

2) From a talent standpoint, I agree that Streater and Moore may be undervalued. However, if it is true as you say that the Raiders won't be passing much, then why would any Raiders WR's have redraft value at all? Andre Johnson had value since he was a clear #1. Seems there is a slight disconnect here.

It seems the combination of a) low passing attempts plus b) multiple WR targets = low fantasy production for everyone. Last season, the Raiders still attempted 32.5 passes per game and that was with subpar QB's. Up or down from there? Will a true #1 WR emerge or spread out too much for FF value?

Great summary Raider Fan! Like you, I believe there is so much uncertainty and change surrounding this team that it would be almost impossible for meaningful projections.

However, I also believe there is potentially tremendous value here somewhere so a few questions/comments for you (and others):

1) DMC - completely agree he will command the majority of touches by mid-season (if not before). So much that I'd be willing to reach in redraft to get him. Question: If he's currently going RB40 (9.05) then how many rounds up would people go to get him (i.e. what is the certainty level that Allen would abandon RBBC once DMC proves he is the better talent?)

2) From a talent standpoint, I agree that Streater and Moore may be undervalued. However, if it is true as you say that the Raiders won't be passing much, then why would any Raiders WR's have redraft value at all? Andre Johnson had value since he was a clear #1. Seems there is a slight disconnect here.

It seems the combination of a) low passing attempts plus b) multiple WR targets = low fantasy production for everyone. Last season, the Raiders still attempted 32.5 passes per game and that was with subpar QB's. Up or down from there? Will a true #1 WR emerge or spread out too much for FF value?
I don't think you will have to reach for DMC. I've seen him drafted in the 12th round recently in FBG drafts, and I don't think there will be much buzz to lift his ADP, unless he tears it up in preseason. People focus too much on cummulative stats, when I think they should instead focus in on per game stats. DMC might not last the full season, and I definitely would not count on him for your fantasy playoffs, but he could help you win a few of the early weeks. That's great value in the 10th or later if you ask me.

As for passing, I expect if anything the passing numbers will go up across the board. How could they not? Last year's starter, Terrelle Pryor was abysmal throwing the ball and contributed over 500 yards rushing. Don't expect either Schaub or Carr to have anything close to that kind of ground production. The Raiders bread and butter will be through the air between the 20's. It's entirely another thing whether they can cash in when they get in the red zone. I believe they will try to ground and pound when they get close to the goal line. But regardless, the overall distribution of passes caught, targets, and scores should increase. Again, how could it not? Terrelle Pryor to Matt Schaub or Derek Carr is addition by subtraction and then some.

Notice, I'm not saying anyone is going to take the Andre Johnson type share of receptions, but if there is one receiver who could at least approach it, it's Rod Streater.

I don't think you will have to reach for DMC. I've seen him drafted in the 12th round recently in FBG drafts, and I don't think there will be much buzz to lift his ADP, unless he tears it up in preseason. People focus too much on cummulative stats, when I think they should instead focus in on per game stats. DMC might not last the full season, and I definitely would not count on him for your fantasy playoffs, but he could help you win a few of the early weeks. That's great value in the 10th or later if you ask me.

As for passing, I expect if anything the passing numbers will go up across the board. How could they not? Last year's starter, Terrelle Pryor was abysmal throwing the ball and contributed over 500 yards rushing. Don't expect either Schaub or Carr to have anything close to that kind of ground production. The Raiders bread and butter will be through the air between the 20's. It's entirely another thing whether they can cash in when they get in the red zone. I believe they will try to ground and pound when they get close to the goal line. But regardless, the overall distribution of passes caught, targets, and scores should increase. Again, how could it not? Terrelle Pryor to Matt Schaub or Derek Carr is addition by subtraction and then some.

Notice, I'm not saying anyone is going to take the Andre Johnson type share of receptions, but if there is one receiver who could at least approach it, it's Rod Streater.
Good stuff. For some reason I thought I read in your summary that Allen would rely heavily on the ground game but must have misread it

Agree that passing will be much more effective given the QB upgrade(s) and therefore good chance someone will emerge in the WR corps to provide significant FF value. Schedule is pretty brutal though as you say and 2nd Broncos game where they will need to put up points isn't until Wk 17.

No Marcel Reece?
Offensive Coordinator Greg Olson keeps talking about getting him involved, and despite being the only Raiders pro-bowler, he's criminally underused. Should get to about 100 rush attempts and about 30 catches, but I think he's no longer a DMC handcuff. The pecking order is DMC/MJD/Murray. Reece is going to continue to be the mismatch, gadget play. Blame it on Olson I say.

Team Spotlight – OAKLAND RAIDERS

Let me preface this spotlight with what most people already know going into the 2014 football season. For fantasy purposes, Raider skill positions offer on the whole good value to filling out a roster, primarily because they come so cheap. Partly because their offense is a complete unknown at this point, with a whole new QB echelon, as well as new RB pecking order. Partly because there are so many fantasy football hobbyists who will avoid owning a Raider out of hate or prior season disappointment. And partly because the team doesn’t project to be a high scoring or fast paced offense according to the experts and pundits. All of this bodes as good news if you are mining for underpriced value additions to your fantasy roster. I believe that several, if not most of the names below will outperform their current ADP.

• [SIZE=10.5pt]QB Matt Schaub[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10.5pt]QB Derek Carr[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10.5pt]RB Maurice Jones-Drew[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10.5pt]RB Darren McFadden[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10.5pt]WR Rod Streater[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10.5pt]WR James Jones[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10.5pt]WR Denarius Moore[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10.5pt]TE Mychal Rivera[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]QB: Matt Schaub/Derek Carr[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Matt Schaub is an enigma. Currently being drafted as a low QB2. He’s only one year removed from a pro-bowl season in 2012. Schaub had a 5 year run for Houston that was quietly phenomenal, posting a 94.1 rating over the span of 2008-12 seasons. Last season, Schaub led the Texans to a fast 2-0 start, before falling apart, losing 6 straight games and ultimately benched exiled after the seaon. Will Schaub bounce back to his pro bowl caliber of play? Or was last season’s effort a signal of things to come? Even at his best, Schaub was never much of a fantasy QB, even though he had wonderful receiving weapons in future HOFer Andre Johnson and TE Owen Daniels. It’s fair to say that he’ll have less talented receiving weapons than he had in Houston. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Schaub will start the season as starting QB, only to once again lose his starting job to the rookie Carr. Not because Schaub does anything horrendous as his series of pick sixes a year ago. But because he is a game manager who will not be willing to take chances in the red zone and the offense will stall out for a number of Janikowski FG attempts. All the while, the bye week will loom heavy and if the season starts to slip away, the switch will be made eventually to Derek Carr. The schedule and travel are brutal for the Raiders this year, and I think we see D Carr sooner than later. For this reason, I don’t endorse taking Matt Schaub as anything but a low QB2 and only in must start two QB leagues. Don’t draft Carr, but keep him on “monitor” status. He’s got the arm strength and can make any throw from any angle and definitely worth a priority add should Schaub get benched. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Bottom line: Schaub/Carr…..undrafted free agents = stay away, do not draft[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]RB: Maurice Jones-Drew[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]MJD comes into the season with a new team and a chip on his shoulder to prove the pundits who say he’s washed up are all wrong. But recently admitted he was thinking of retirement after his 2013 season, wondering if lost something physically. It should be apparent to anyone who has watched his tape that he has clearly lost a step or two. He’s coming off his worst season of football, posting an average of 3.4 yards per carry. Some of that was the Jacksonville offensive line, but even on plays where MJD broke into the secondary, he was quickly chased down for minimal extra gain. He no longer has the breakaway speed, and is more of a plodder at age 29. His fantasy value rests on his superior pass protection ability, and 3 down back capability which always made MJD a volume type stats accumulator. On Oakland, he’ll be in a full blown RBBC with oft-injured but talented Darren McFadden. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]MJD will get 15 total touches per game and will generate about 60 yards of offense total with an occasional score. He’s currently being drafted in the 8th round according to ADP, and I think he’s going to disappoint most of his owners who take him there. He should be a serviceable RB5/RB6 for a bye week filler, but expecting any more than 10 points a week in PPR is going to be crapshoot from week to week. Steady, but not spectacular, he will be dropped outright once the realization that Darren McFadden or his eventual backup aren’t going anywhere. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Bottom line: MJD, currently 8th round ADP, too high and I would take a shot at acquiring in the 11th round or later. MJD = Overrated[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]RB: Darren McFadden[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Run DMC has been snake-bit, and pretty much snake bit anyone who took him early in fantasy drafts over the years. But his current ADP is extremely low (10th round) and is considered the handcuff to MJD. I find these rankings to be amusing. DMC is still only 26 yo, and has far less mileage on than MJD. And put them in a footrace and it’s no contest. DMC will smoke MJD. But the fantasy pundits have left DMC for dead. I think that’s a big mistake. DMC may eventually get hurt this season, as is his calling card. But his per game average of fantasy points is far superior to MJD’s. Ride him while you have him is what I recommend. He’s a steal coming off the board four rounds later than MJD in a scenario that frankly I think should be reversed. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]DMC, currently 10/11 round ADP, should be considered in the 8th round or possibly even the 7th round. MJD does inhibit his season touches and ceiling, but remember that DMC still has the game breaking speed to house a football on any play. Keeping him fresh could lead to surprising production on limited touches. DMC = underrated[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]WR Rod Streater[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Rod Streater enters his third season with the Raiders as a UDFA who has improved in each of his two seasons. Last year, accumulated 60 receptions for 888 yards on 100 targets. He enters the season as the clear #1 WR. His stats are only going to improve across the board whether it’s Schaub or Carr throwing him the ball. Last year’s starting QB’s were so bad, they are either no longer on the team or on the roster bubble. And still Rod Streater produced. And still he gets no love from the fantasy experts. Unbelievable![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Rod Streater is criminally undervalued, coming off the board in the late 15th round. It will not take much of a bump for him to surpass 1,000 yards receiving, and the QB’s he will have are much better than anything he had last year. He offers consistent WR3/WR4 production and WR6 cost. Streater is a draft day steal for where he’s currently going. Rod Streater = steal[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]WR James Jones[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]James Jones is a nice addition to the Raiders WR corp, and brings a level of veteran savvy and professionalism that is needed to a young WR group. He’s 30 years old now, and so no spring chicken, but not old by any means. However, he’s no longer getting the benefit of receiving pin-point laser fire from Aaron Rodgers, so I think it’s best to temper expectations. Add to that he’s already had a couple of injuries this off-season. First he pulled his hammy, and now he’s sidelined with a separated shoulder. He should be back for training camp, but his durability could be a question. In any case, I’m not nearly as high on James Jones as people in the fantasy community are. Jones is currently being drafted in the 11th round well ahead of Rod Streater. It’s as if people are assuming he is going to be the #1 WR, when in fact he’s going to be competing to get on the field with D. Moore. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]James Jones is a #3 wideout on a team that is going to try to run the ball a lot. I don’t see him scoring enough TD’s or catching enough balls to warrant his current ADP. I could be wrong, but I don’t think he’s going to last the season. James Jones = fantasy bust[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]WR Denarius Moore[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Denarius Moore has become a pariah among fantasy experts lately. Some are writing him off as a potential cut or trade candidate. He’s been maddeningly inconsistent from week to week, and the current training staff is trying hard to motivate him to achieve his potential. There’s no denying the potential is great, but he has to be micro-managed to stay on an even keel. Take into account that last year, playing with arguably the worst QB rotation in his career, he put up almost equivalent stats to 2012 when he had Carson Palmer, despite 28 fewer targets. And comes into the 2014 season with a game-breaking 15.8 YPC. There’s been a lot of fabricated fantasy buzz around Andre Holmes overtaking D. Moore as the WR#3. Don’t believe it. Moore is here to stay and his role should increase if anything with improved QB play. It says here that his stats across the board should get a jump.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Denarius Moore is another criminally undervalued WR, though not as bad as Rod Streater. Currently his ADP is in the 17th round. Another WR I would have no problem drafting in the 12th or 13th round but maybe later if I can ride his current ADP. A startable WR#4 or WR#5 at WR7 price. Denarius Moore = steal[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]WR Andre Holmes (extra)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Holmes has been riding high these days in the rotoblurbs, and it didn’t hurt that everyone saw his breakout performance in garbage time last year on Thanksgiving. Speculation is that he competes for more playing time at the expense of Denarius Moore. While I think his roster spot is solid, I’d be less surprised that he gets cut than I will seeing him overtake Moore. He’s barely had an experience to speak of and is still learning the ropes. People are looking at his tall frame and athletic ability and already projecting him to take the leap. Unless there is a significant injury, could be to Jones maybe, I see Holmes continuing to see the field as the WR#4 and in spot duty. His ADP is undrafted free agent, but I’ve seen some drafts where he’s gone ahead of Rod Streater, which I think is ridiculous. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The hype machine is out of control and needs to be toned down. If you have the roster space and feel compelled to own a Raider WR, by all means take Holmes. Though I would advise to just leave him on the wire. Holmes = overrated[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]TE Mychal Rivera[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Rivera came on strong in his rookie year, catching 38 balls on 60 targets and 4 TD’s. He never really had any one breakout week, but proved to be the only reliable TE weapon last year, with David Ausberry hurt early on. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I think Rivera builds off his rookie season, and becomes an integral component of the offense this year. The TE was underutilized last year, and with Matt Schaub and/or Derek Carr, I expect the TE numbers to jump dramatically. Schaub’s last full season with Houston, he threw to the TE’s 124 times, while the total Raider production last year was only 45 catches. Something has to give, and I expect Rivera to be the Raiders primary “move” TE and his production could potentially double last year. Currently his ADP is undrafted, he’s a guy I think steal. Rivera = underrated[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]TE David Ausberry[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Ausberry is another rotoblurb hero getting a lot of talk, but the truth is that he’s a converted college WR, that is going into his 4th yr with 9 career catches. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Ausberry is still going undrafted and is a dynasty darling, but I would not touch him in either format. I expect/hope that he can break 30 catches and help pad the overall TE stats. [/SIZE]
Good writeup here but there is no way Moore should go in 12th or 13th round. We are talking about the 4th WR on a run heavy to balanced team, with an avg at best QB. There is a reason he is going that late.

Yeah, I'll be bumping Moore down some on my next update. I figured nobody was reading that spotlight anyway. Others I will bump up are MJD, Jones, Rivera, and I need to add Greg Little to the list. Guys I have to bump down are Moore, DMC, and Holmes. And I am starting to warm to the idea of Schaub as a QB2.

Yeah, I'll be bumping Moore down some on my next update. I figured nobody was reading that spotlight anyway. Others I will bump up are MJD, Jones, Rivera, and I need to add Greg Little to the list. Guys I have to bump down are Moore, DMC, and Holmes. And I am starting to warm to the idea of Schaub as a QB2.
I usually peak into these when I do my team by team projections so always appreciate any insight

Just curious why you would bump Holmes down even more since you were fairly low on him in the initial spotlight. Thx

Just curious why you would bump Holmes down even more since you were fairly low on him in the initial spotlight. Thx
Holmes has had a terrible camp so far, dropping balls left and right. Some of the scribes are even wondering if he isn't a surprise cut. Little has clearly passed him on the depth chart and is threatening Moore, who also has been maddeningly inconsistent.

Agree 100%.

Holmes has had a terrible camp so far, dropping balls left and right. Some of the scribes are even wondering if he isn't a surprise cut. Little has clearly passed him on the depth chart and is threatening Moore, who also has been maddeningly inconsistent.
Ah, bless you and your team, you have yet to enjoy the poisonous optimism of Training Camp Hero Greg Little. The man who finally puts it all together every August.

Here's last year's version of that:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1735350-is-greg-little-actually-the-browns-biggest-threat-for-a-breakout-year

Not to suggest you're overly optimistic or not up on your team. Just be aware that this guy has an every-year-of-his-career history of performing this time of year, only to go fetal the instant the games count. Not just that, but of REALLY exceeding expectations, only to REALLY eat a turd once the season starts. I've got to believe he just shrinks when the lights and cameras go on. It happens with such perfect regularity. I'd be wary about recommending too big a bump based on his outplaying the competition in camp. Been down this road one too many times with my friends who are Browns fans. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a Greg Little fan. I know the history. I also think the Browns fans are being a little harsh. He produced despite some bad drops in each of his three seasons there. He won't be counted on to be anything but a 4th WR in Oakland. If he can prove himself, maybe he'll get a bit larger slice of the pie. For now, he's doing what has to do and playing the role of training camp all-star. Nobody is counting on him the way Browns fans were counting on him. He's a flier reclamation project, not a big running Charlie Brown kick at a Lucy held football.

Hm ok interesting because I've read that Moore is the player insiders are speculating won't make the roster. So to me that reads Moore is at best the #4

Curious to see their depth chart hopefully soon :hifive:

Users who are viewing this thread