What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (14 Viewers)

I just noticed Novakovich did not make the 40 man roster either, which is surprising in that of the 40 people on the roster, Jozy is the most likely to get hurt before the Cup starts.

I just noticed Novakovich did not make the 40 man roster either, which is surprising in that of the 40 people on the roster, Jozy is the most likely to get hurt before the Cup starts.
this was the one that jumped out at me... but not in an earth-shattering way.

What does Lovitz have on Beerhalter that keeps him around?
it's strange. decent player, but probalby like andy said- all about LBs. 

fwiw- I poo-pooed his switch after not knowing who he was. here's a highlight clip... looks really promising based on that. again-no idea how well he plays with others, but I like the acceleration, skill, and aggression.

Lots of upside here...still feels like we are a few difference makers short.  Hopefully we'll have a few more emerge over the next couple of years.
I agree. 

It is worth noting that some of the difference makers are on the U20 WC team and were not included in this roster.  I am very hopeful that players like Pomykal, Mendez, Weah. De La Fuente and others will have an effect on this cycle.

out of curiousity- what dual-nats have picked the US over MEX? the GK kid... anybody else?
I think only two players have ever used the one time switch rule in this situation.  Gonzalez (keeper) switching from Mexico to US and Gonzalez (midfielder) switching from US to Mexico.

There are a ton playing for both US and Mexican youth national teams that may have to use this rule in the coming years if they want to switch to either US or Mexico.

I think only two players have ever used the one time switch rule in this situation.  Gonzalez (keeper) switching from Mexico to US and Gonzalez (midfielder) switching from US to Mexico.

There are a ton playing for both US and Mexican youth national teams that may have to use this rule in the coming years if they want to switch to either US or Mexico.
I guess I'm asking if there are dual-nats who have picked the US instead of MEX before having to make the one-time switch. but that probably is impossible to state until they've actually declared as you say.

I guess I'm asking if there are dual-nats who have picked the US instead of MEX before having to make the one-time switch. but that probably is impossible to state until they've actually declared as you say.
right.  Until any player is senior cap tied, they are still open to switch if they want so nothing is definite.

Only Gonzalez and Gonzalez are definite (and ironically neither of them have played in a cap tying event yet for their countries so the switch has a chance to back fire on both players).

Any thought on who the starting 11 are from that group.  My totally uneducated but what I would like to see as a fan thought below.  And yes i know it is going to be tough on ? to play RB and LB but the kid is amazing.

Steffen

?                                  CCV                                                    Miazga                                    ?

Adams

Pulisic                                                    McKennie                                            Arriola/Nagbe

Altidore                                                    Amon

Any thought on who the starting 11 are from that group.  My totally uneducated but what I would like to see as a fan thought below.  And yes i know it is going to be tough on ? to play RB and LB but the kid is amazing.

Steffen

?                                  CCV                                                    Miazga                                    ?

Adams

Pulisic                                                    McKennie                                            Arriola/Nagbe

The formation will depend on how much Berhalter is tied to the false RB.   If he stays consistent, he will play Adams at RB in any game he thinks the US is favored to hold a majority of the possession.  Which should be the case in the group stage.

So with that acknowledgement in place, I think he does something like this in the friendlies and group stage games.

.................................................Steffen

Adams................Miazga.........................CCV.....................Robinson

...............................................Trapp/Bradley

..Arriola..............................McKennie...............Pulisic/Nagbe.............Pulisic/Amon*/NewGuy

......................................Jozy

offensively that morph's to look more like the following

............Miazga.........................CCV.....................Robinson

....................Adams...........................Trapp/Bradley

..Arriola..............................McKennie...................Nagbe/Amon*/NewGuy............

......................................Jozy.....................Pulisic

*I am not confident he will make the final roster much less start but I am hopeful

Last edited by a moderator:

Steffen

Adams

The formation will depend on how much Berhalter is tied to the false RB.   If he stays consistent, he will play Adams at RB in any game he thinks the US is favored to hold a majority of the possession.  Which should be the case in the group stage.

So with that acknowledgement in place, I think he does something like this in the friendlies and group stage games.

Adams................Miazga.........................CCV.....................Robinson

..Arriola..............................McKennie...............Pulisic/Nagbe.............Pulisic/Amon*/NewGuy

*I am not confident he will make the final roster much less start but I am hopeful
.........................................steffen

adams.....................mazda...........long.............robo/garza

.......................................caillou/trapp

cp.........................swag.........................nagbe................kiwi/lletget

............................................jozy

.........................................steffen

adams.....................mazda...........long.............robo/garza

.......................................caillou/trapp

cp.........................swag.........................nagbe................kiwi/lletget

............................................jozy
I like it.  I started CCV over Long because I read this morning Long has been having hamstring issues but if he is healthy I am fine with him starting.

I am sure he is not playing well but Cincy is a mess as a expansion side, already having changed coaches.  I am sure the losing atmosphere is not helping him settle in at all.
I thought there was always the chance they only have him for a few months anyway, or did I read that wrong?

The offensive situation in Cincy was definitely  not looking good even before they lost Adi for that length of time, and now it looks like they are just going to baptise Amaya by fire. I don’t always  really know what I am looking at, but it seems like when Saief gets possession/space, he looks  “good” for a brief flash, but the next pass/cross never goes anywhere productive ( could be a product of attacking players not making good runs). Maybe I’m a jinx, but whenever I watch Roland Lamah, for example, I get the impression that U6 kiddies doing helicopter spins or picking dandelions make better decisions.

this rumor seems to have some legs.  I wonder what Lampard thinks of Pulisic...

=======

Get Italian Football News‏ @_GIFN

Breaking | Gianluca di Marzio reporting that Chelsea have decided to hire Frank Lampard & replace Maurizio Sarri!

This looks pretty close to what I think we are going to see. My only caveats are I think Long plays over CCV (assuming health) and I think Robinson get replaced by Ream. That left back spot isn't really a left back in Berhalter's system - more of a center back when we have the ball and plays defense at LB when we don't.

It looks like Carlos Vela turned down a call up to the Mexican team for upcoming friendlies, claiming Club and Family come first.  Vela is playing at an extraordinary level right now. 

I assume he will still be at the Gold Cup but this bares watching.
Vela, Chicharito, Herrera and Tecatito will all miss the Gold Cup this summer.

Lainez with the U20's and not on the roster either.

We could see lots of new names for Mexico this summer.

From Scuffed's twitter:

==========

Flemish newspaper Het Nieuwsblad:

“Club Brugge conducts far-reaching negotiations with Jonathan Amon, a flank player from the Danish Nordsjaelland. According to well-informed sources the Club wants to pay around 3 million euros for the American.”

Ned said:
Scienceguy said:
Also, here's another test balloon for an article I'm going to push out tomorrow night. Any thoughts/suggestions before I do it?

https://halfspaces.com/weird-player-comps-for-the-u17-wc-squad/
I've never enjoyed the whole comp thing regardless of the sport.  It's too easy to fall down the rabbit hole trying to force the new players into a box.  I'd rather look at them for their unique skillsets and leave it at that.
love these articles, sg- keep it up, and keep posting them here.

but I agree with ned here... there's enough to look and discuss without reaching for outside comparisons. comes across a bit as "first off, how are you". which you'll get if you stick around long enough... and I hope you do.

OMGZ EVERYBODY!@@!!! 

CONCACAF nation's league schedule has been released!

games are in the fall. :mellow:  

canada and cuba in our group. I hope we win this nations' league and go all the way! somewhere. not the WC. but yeah- to... somewhere. by winning. because IIRC, we lose out on the fifa window for friendlies because of it. now that's concacaf excitement!

OMGZ EVERYBODY!@@!!! 

CONCACAF nation's league schedule has been released!

games are in the fall. :mellow:  

canada and cuba in our group. I hope we win this nations' league and go all the way! somewhere. not the WC. but yeah- to... somewhere. by winning. because IIRC, we lose out on the fifa window for friendlies because of it. now that's concacaf excitement!
The only slight plus to these over friendlies is that they are official matches which means if Berhalter is smart, he could lock up Mendez and LLanez this fall.

because IIRC, we lose out on the fifa window for friendlies because of it.
I am going to try me one of those unbalanced hot takes people seem to enjoy posting.  It may suck so be fore warned :)

==========================

Friendlies against big time Euro teams are INCREDIBLY over rated.

You play in near perfect conditions with very good reffing and against an opponent trying mostly to not get hurt

We saw with Klinsmann that these games can lead incorrect conclusions about the strength of the team. 

We beat Germany and Holland back to back in Europe.   And what did those wins mean once the US had to go on the road in Concacaf, with awful conditions, dodgy reffing and opponents alternating between trying to break your leg and faking being fouled every 3 minutes?  The wins meant absolute bupkis.

love these articles, sg- keep it up, and keep posting them here.

but I agree with ned here... there's enough to look and discuss without reaching for outside comparisons. comes across a bit as "first off, how are you". which you'll get if you stick around long enough... and I hope you do.
:goodposting:

And I want to apologize @Scienceguy.  I appreciate you sharing these with us and letting us add input.  It's pretty cool what you're doing.  I don't want you to take my previous post the wrong way - just adding my :2cents:  in general about player comps.  

I am going to try me one of those unbalanced hot takes people seem to enjoy posting.  It may suck so be fore warned :)

==========================

Friendlies against big time Euro teams are INCREDIBLY over rated.

You play in near perfect conditions with very good reffing and against an opponent trying mostly to not get hurt

We saw with Klinsmann that these games can lead incorrect conclusions about the strength of the team. 

We beat Germany and Holland back to back in Europe.   And what did those wins mean once the US had to go on the road in Concacaf, with awful conditions, dodgy reffing and opponents alternating between trying to break your leg and faking being fouled every 3 minutes?  The wins meant absolute bupkis.
you're right. better to play martinique than england.

:goodposting:

And I want to apologize @Scienceguy.  I appreciate you sharing these with us and letting us add input.  It's pretty cool what you're doing.  I don't want you to take my previous post the wrong way - just adding my :2cents:  in general about player comps.  
No worries guys. Honest feedback is a lot more valuable than blowing sunshine up my ###. I’m new at this and I’m trying to be a little different so I’m undoubtedly going to put some crap out there. I appreciate being able to float some stuff in this dark little corner of the internet and see what y’all think. My last article was much better because one of you suggested an improvement that was a really good idea. So thanks for helping me. 

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
I love how proactive Berhalter has been in getting players to learn the new system. The more guys that know it and are comfortable in it the better. 👍
Totally agree.

That said.. how do we all feel about this system? Has Barelyhalter previously shown enough flexibility to move away from it based on personnel or circumstance? So far with the US it's been a mixed bag.

I know it's hard to take a bunch of guys who never play together and mold them into something greater than the individual parts... And I appreciate that having a system to fall back on helps. I also worry that some of our better players may not play at their best trying to fit round into square holes...if you catch my drift 

That said.. how do we all feel about this system? Has Barelyhalter previously shown enough flexibility to move away from it based on personnel or circumstance? So far with the US it's been a mixed bag.
he indicated that he would alter his plans when the US was un-favored to hold a majority of the possession.   The US has not yet been matched up with this type of opponent to see if it holds true.

My position remains unchanged.  I want Adams and Swag together in double pivot.   With Swag's dominance in the air, and Adams unteachable instinct to always be around loose balls, we should be able to boss mid fields in Concacaf.

Users who are viewing this thread