What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (16 Viewers)

The MLS hate is unfortunate (as the league is obviously getting better) but I sort of get it from people that mostly watch and root for the National Team.

We're simply not far enough removed from the days of guys like Wondo dominating in MLS despite being unable to knock in a sitter against any sort of decent international opponent.

No doubt that MLS has advanced to a point where certain players can play there and still be successful Nats.(especially young studs like Pomykal that are <18 months away from making a trans-Atlantic jump)  But I just really hate it when guys like Roldan make their way into the lineup as first off the bench (or even spot starter) types. I feel like we've seen that movie many times over the past 5 or 6 years with a number of guys and it always ends the same way.

IMO, if you're in MLS between the ages of like 23-30 (other than maybe a goal keeper or central defender at the lower end of that range who still needs to mature) its just hard to argue that you should be anything more than an end of the roster guy for the Nats. (with the exception being a guy like Altidore who came home for just stupid money that he would never get elsewhere). Or at least I HOPE we're at that point relatively soon.   We just dont have much upside as long as we have to rely on guys like Arriola to consistently produce.
I don't get it at all.  It's one thing if we have guys starting across the big leagues in Europe, but we don't.  Basically the choice is between MLS guys and guys in second division Europe.  To me that's a toss up.  Hell, even Pulisic wasn't a first choice starter at Dortmund and he's miles better than any other national team player.  This group of young guys might change that in 5-6 years, but right now it's either an MLS stud or a JAG at a second division team in Europe.  

Last edited by a moderator:
There’s no point but I’m really worried about Dest. The “cap him” stuff can get a little out of hand but it’s warranted imo if he’s willing in October. We probably won’t even call him 

There’s no point but I’m really worried about Dest. The “cap him” stuff can get a little out of hand but it’s warranted imo if he’s willing in October. We probably won’t even call him 
Hell, they probably won't even text him.

I mean even an email would be fine. It’s not like he was developed in the US or anything, so while it would sting you can’t get too upset over it. It would be nice to have one of these go our way though. It’s weird that there isn’t more info out there about him in general, especially after this summer. If you google him there are like three articles total and two of them are on ussoccer’s website.

I don't get it at all.  It's one thing if we have guys starting across the big leagues in Europe, but we don't.  Basically the choice is between MLS guys and guys in second division Europe.  To me that's a toss up.  Hell, even Pulisic wasn't a first choice starter at Dortmund and he's miles better than any other national team player.  This group of young guys might change that in 5-6 years, but right now it's either an MLS stud or a JAG at a second division team in Europe.  
I think debating players is fantastic.  I honestly don't care if they all play in South Korea, I just want the best mix.

What I don't get is the automatic "if you play in MLS you must suck, as soon as you move to Europe, all is forgiven" with no thoughts given to any other variables.  It is cringe worthy to me.

I know I am oversimplifying it, but that is sadly how many of the extremists sound to me.

I love the fact that no one here does that and that people are much more concerned about how a player is playing instead of the country he is in.

For the vast majority of us, we all want the same thing.  Our players playing at the highest level where they can get consistent minutes.

I think debating players is fantastic.  I honestly don't care if they all play in South Korea, I just want the best mix.

What I don't get is the automatic "if you play in MLS you must suck, as soon as you move to Europe, all is forgiven" with no thoughts given to any other variables.  It is cringe worthy to me.

I know I am oversimplifying it, but that is sadly how many of the extremists sound to me.

I love the fact that no one here does that and that people are much more concerned about how a player is playing instead of the country he is in.

For the vast majority of us, we all want the same thing.  Our players playing at the highest level where they can get consistent minutes.
Well, it was more meaningful to me when Pulisic was playing well for Dortmund than it was when Dempsey was playing well for the Sounders.  I think most of us are taking level of competition into account somewhat. 

The question is how much does it matter, and we all probably have different answers to that question.

Well, it was more meaningful to me when Pulisic was playing well for Dortmund than it was when Dempsey was playing well for the Sounders.  I think most of use are taking level of competition into account somewhat.
Sure, that is only logical to factor in the leagues when comparing.

Although it is interesting you mentioned those two.  They were the two best offensive players, by far, in the hex for the US.  And they perfectly represented the gap in talent as they were both the oldest and youngest players.

Sure, that is only logical to factor in the leagues when comparing.

Although it is interesting you mentioned those two.  They were the two best offensive players, by far, in the hex for the US.  And they perfectly represented the gap in talent as they were both the oldest and youngest players.
I think Pulisic(assuming good health) will end up having twice the impact on American soccer than Dempsey did.   Which is why I chose those two to compare.

I think Pulisic(assuming good health) will end up having twice the impact on American soccer than Dempsey did.   Which is why I chose those two to compare.
The ceiling of his effect is almost limitless if he becomes a strong EPL player at a top team.  Dempsey did not have Pulisic's elevated platform, as during his peak years, the sport in the US was just starting to catch on but far from what it is today.

Pulisic has the chance to dwarf any other US player in history.  His transfer fee is just the start.  If he hits and the American sponsorship machine (NIKE, Gatorade etc) see him as the next big thing, he is going to be huge.  The WC here in the US in 2026 will give him the biggest platform possible if he succeeds.

But lots of carts before horses here in my thoughts :)   let's just hope he gets some preseason minutes first :)

Roger Gonzalez‏Verified account @RGonzalezCBS

Little #USMNT news. With the mess going on at Newcastle, do not be shocked to see DeAndre Yedlin explore his options and maybe move this summer. Am told there is interest from clubs in Spain, France and Germany

CletiusMaximus said:
He's with the club now in Japan (https://twitter.com/Chelsea_FL/status/1151795478444609536).  They play J-League champions Kawasaki Frontale tomorrow and Barcelona on Tuesday.  I expect he'll play in one or both games.  These games are available through the club app, I think for a fee though. 
It was just media speculating from watching practice but they said that Lampard was lining up his players into two teams to scrimmage and one side had what looked to be the starting 11 with Pulisic included in that 11 in a wide role.

It was just media speculating from watching practice but they said that Lampard was lining up his players into two teams to scrimmage and one side had what looked to be the starting 11 with Pulisic included in that 11 in a wide role.
I read the same thing.  Its crazy speculation at this point, but I guess fun.  In the first two exhibitions, Lampard essentially played two complete different sides in the two halves, so we can expect that tomorrow.  He's got 25 players, but really only 4 wingers. Willian hasn't joined the team yet, so the wingers in Japan are CP, Pedro, Kenedy and Kasey Palmer.  The latter two wouldn't normally be expected to make the senior team.  With CHO injured, return date unknown, and the transfer ban, this situation presents a really great opportunity for CP to get action this summer and early in the season.  Willian and Pedro both need rest and seem to always be carrying some knock or another.  CHO still hasn't signed a contract and may still have designs on Bayern or elsewhere.  This seems to be a perfect storm of circumstances where a young new kid could get a legitimate shot to play a key role on a big club.

Best moment of the Gold Cup.  I love how even the rest of the team can't keep the laughing smiles off their faces.
I hate that he is not a consistently good player because I really want to like the guy.  He seems like he works his butt off, makes constant runs, works hard on defense and at times look useful on offense.  

If he was a consistently good player, all of the odd plays he makes (scoring off his face, the assist off his back etc etc) would endear him to fans instead of just being kind of a joke.

I hate that he is not a consistently good player because I really want to like the guy.  He seems like he works his butt off, makes constant runs, works hard on defense and at times look useful on offense.  

If he was a consistently good player, all of the odd plays he makes (scoring off his face, the assist off his back etc etc) would endear him to fans instead of just being kind of a joke.
yeah. the guy can play. sometimes. other times, not so much.

and I should reiterate that I'm a fan of everything working right zardoz.

if the stars align and he finds his touch- the guy is a decent all around player. and what andy touched on shouldn't be undersold- he really is one of, if not the best defending forwards; he's all over the field and especially side line to side line genuinely helping his team defensively from the top. and he makes good, smart runs on offense- usually getting himself into good spots. and his runs are smart runs- anticipating the second or third run to combine with or open up space for his teammates. but then... zardozed.

We may want to keep this one in mind for the future. 

One of the very young kids who is starting to play in the USL this year is Moses Nyeman.  He is only 15.   He looks very comfortable on the ball against adults here in what I think is only his second pro game ever.   He is from DC United's system and plays for Loudan United in the USL Championship (1 division lower than MLS).

https://twitter.com/i/status/1151917219800080386

We may want to keep this one in mind for the future. 

One of the very young kids who is starting to play in the USL this year is Moses Nyeman.  He is only 15.   He looks very comfortable on the ball against adults here in what I think is only his second pro game ever.   He is from DC United's system and plays for Loudan United in the USL Championship (1 division lower than MLS).

https://twitter.com/i/status/1151917219800080386
hes all over the field too... any idea what he's playing? almost seems like a #10.

has he featured for the yutes yet? kinda reminds me of zegolem. and looking forward to seeing him play this year (the latter, but both really).

hes all over the field too... any idea what he's playing? almost seems like a #10.

has he featured for the yutes yet? kinda reminds me of zegolem. and looking forward to seeing him play this year (the latter, but both really).
I only saw on his wiki page that he has been with the U16's.  I assume if this is his quality, he is going to be in the mix for the next batch of U17 players.

I don't know his position outside of being a midfielder.

Outside of his comfort on the ball, what caught my eye was that his first step was scary.  For such a tiny kid, he gets such quick and decisive separation.

From ESPN

======

The New York Red Bulls have rebuffed transfer offers from an unnamed Premier League side for U.S. international Aaron Long, and aren't interested in selling the defender during the current transfer window, multiple sources have told ESPN FC.

Sources confirmed a report from broadcaster Brian Dunseth that a Prem club had submitted multiple offers for the 26-year-old defender. But the sources added that not only had the Red Bulls turned down the offers, they declined to make a counteroffer or entertain further discussions. One source said that moving Long "isn't something that the Red Bulls are interested in" and "isn't an ongoing thing."

Another source said there remains the possibility of Long playing out this season and then being sold during the winter transfer window. Long's contract, which he signed prior to the 2019 campaign, has two and a half years left to run and includes an option year.

I kind of feel for Long.

At least he is not making chump change in MLS at $800k, which is amazing when you think three years ago he was probably barely pulling in 25k kicking around in the lower divisions.  But still, his window is small at his age and moving to any EPL club could easily double or triple that salary instantly.

Roger Gonzalez

Confirms what I had been hearing. USMNT to face Uruguay in Sept. in a friendly. Rodrigo Romano, a journalist in Uruguay, says it will be in St. Louis

=======

If this is true, I would not be surprised if this will be used to officially announce the St Louis MLS expansion franchise.

With Mexico and Uruguay possibly lined up in September, I hope we get a near full squad.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
CP wore #24 today in 25 minutes of preseason action for Chelsea, but the club clarified that will not necessarily be his shirt number this season. Most are saying he looked pretty good. 

The Ajax coach seems to be giving indications that Dest can make the first team this summer

==========

USMNT Only

"If you can do this against a Premier League club [Watford] and the number two in Turkey, then you can do it in the league as well. Of course he still makes mistakes, but he also does a lot of good." - Erik ten Hag, manager of Ajax, on Sergino Dest

I kind of feel for Long.

At least he is not making chump change in MLS at $800k, which is amazing when you think three years ago he was probably barely pulling in 25k kicking around in the lower divisions.  But still, his window is small at his age and moving to any EPL club could easily double or triple that salary instantly.
Plus if he moved to Europe he would become a good player.

Moe. said:
I don't understand the lack of aggression on capping players at all.  If this was a professional team in any sport, they'd be happy to dump a few games at some point just to cap the top 15-20 up and coming players with dual eligibility. It's insane to me that we aren't getting these guys capped when they're 16 or 17 if they show any promise.

I don't understand the lack of aggression on capping players at all.  If this was a professional team in any sport, they'd be happy to dump a few games at some point just to cap the top 15-20 up and coming players with dual eligibility. It's insane to me that we aren't getting these guys capped when they're 16 or 17 if they show any promise.
This is something that has always made me scratch my head too.  I have always wondered why the 23rd spot on a roster was not saved for cap tying.  It is a spot almost never needed in a game or even a tournament, and if the game is a blow out, you might be able to get the player on during the last couple of minutes and close the book on him.

However, since they never seem to do this I can only think there must be a good reason.  Maybe it is as simple as if they do this too much, some young players may reject the call up early to leave their options open?  But even then, it can't really hurt to ask on the hopes the player may say yes to the call up.

Lots of turnovers in that video
"lots"

we watched two different videos. he looked good, was involved, found his team-mates, went at guys, found useful passes, made smart passes. maybe a hair slower than normal, which is to be expected, and of course some turnovers- which is also to be expected a week into playing wiht a new team in a land far far away. seriously- I would've ever look at that video- especially as his first game for chelsea after flying to japan- and think "crap". ever.

I wonder what it's like to root for a soccer nation that doesn't NEED three 18-20 year old kids to develop just to be competitive......

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
George Bello has finally returned to training with Atlanta.  He suffered the same injury as Adams(abductor) and had surgery on it.  Deboer said they need to take things slow with him and are going to start his rehab with the USL team as a second half sub when he is ready and try to build him back up.

For the US his target date is late October when the U17 WC will happen so he has some time to get back into shape.

USMNT Watch

According to multiple sources, #USMNT and FC Dallas RB Reggie Cannon (21) has drawn interest, though not yet an offer, from Belgian club Anderlecht

Reyna was pretty invisible overall.  Brewster too.

Kent and Wilson were kind of interesting though.

Dortmund passed it really well considering it was the pre-season.

Can't imagine forking over $$$ for these games.

Users who are viewing this thread